So, who's flooded right now?

Trashbear

<p>Anyone else experiencing serious flooding today?</p><p> </p><p>

For those that may not know, the Northeast part of the United States is getting some major rainfall...in fact, the report I was just reading indicated that my area (Rhode Island) has experienced the highest three week total for rainfall in the 100 year history of detailed weather record keeping. One of the rivers here, the Pawtuxet, has a flood threshold of 9.5 feet. It's slated to reach 16.5 feet by the end of the day.</p><p> </p><p>

My basement has about 8 inches of water in it, and I if I had to guess I'd say I was getting about 3 gallons per minute of water in there. Just waiting on the Fire Department to come by and pump it out. Of course, my town rails against the idea of a sewage system, so it just gets pumped out into the already flooded street.</p><p> </p><p>

Anyone out there feel like commisserating? It's a pretty miserable experience here.</p>

Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

We had flooding here (I think Sons of Kohral's area of BK lost power too) and Jersey especially (the Passaic river turned into the freakin' Nile). I haven't experienced any flooding personally (water is afraid to accumulate here, might get mugged :p) but several of the lower lying areas have.

Here's to hoping your insurance fully covers fixing/treating the basement once things dry out.

Thanks for the sympathy, friends.

I talked to the fire department just a moment ago, and of course they're treating this much the same a triage nurse would treat the emergency room. So, the people who have the worst flooding are getting pumped out first. The dispatcher asked me "How many feet of water are in your basement?" Well, it's a good sized basement, so in total it's probably at about 10 or 11 inches now...so being that I'm only in the "inches" category and not the "feet" category, I was told that it would be about a sixteen hour wait before someone would be able to pump my basement. Fan-freaking-tastic...

And yes Remi, my homeowner's insurance should cover most damage (namely to my washer, dryer, and furnace) but to what extent they'll pay is unknown. The funniest (or saddest) thing? About a week ago I passed on flood insurance, figuring that we'd been hit with some heavy rains and my house was ok, so I figured if I could avoid another bill, that would be a good thing.

Lesson learned.

I feel your pain Trashbear, I am in North Providence and I got flooded as well. Not nearly as bad as you but still pretty bad.

I spent five hours in my basement and still didn't really make a dent in it. The water just kept on coming.

I decided to take a little drive on the roads that hadn't flooded, just to get a view of much some places flooded. Turns out the Warwick Mall parking lot is under water. A lone car was in the lot, covered up to its roof. Luckily the water is just standing so the car isn't being swept away.

As for me, the fire department pumped out my basement once, but I'm back up to two feet of water again so once again it's time to wait and watch.

Actually I haven't updated my user profile out of sheer laziness, I live down in North Kingstown now. My parents' house in Lincoln was actually pretty dry...in comparison to mine anyway. NK Fire Department just got done pumping out my basement, but the ground is still saturated so I'm getting more water. Less than before though, so maybe my pump can keep up. Anyway, some folks are really in a bind, so I can't complain too much.

Even still...poor me!

Archived