Official NBA Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

I really do not see anything wrong with Dan Gilbert’s letter. It was a very narcissistic thing that he did. I found the whole thing to be completely and utterly ridiculous. What has Lebron done that he deserves to have his own TV special to announce what team he is going to?

Did he ever win a championship? Is this not the same guy who chocked playing against a Boston team that had no business getting as far as they did (and I am a Celtics fan)? I for one hope that this arrogant kid, and that is exactly how he acted just like a kid, does not win a championship. In fact, I hope he becomes the Jim Kelly of the NBA always getting this close to the NBA championship but never winning it.

To me he is the epitome of the modern day athlete. You know the, “Hey look at me aren’t I the greatest!” type of athlete that has not proven that he can win anything.

You sure about that? I was on Twitter a minute ago, and "Burning LeBron's jersey" was the #2 trending topic.

Interestingly, Scottie Pippen was #1. Make of that what you will. ;)

Guys let's be realistic, those people aren't burning his jersey because they hate him. They are burning them so they can make room in their closets for his Miami Heat #6 jersey :p

I really do not see anything wrong with Dan Gilbert’s letter. It was a very narcissistic thing that he did. I found the whole thing to be completely and utterly ridiculous. What has Lebron done that he deserves to have his own TV special to announce what team he is going to?

Did he ever win a championship? Is this not the same guy who chocked playing against a Boston team that had no business getting as far as they did (and I am a Celtics fan)? I for one hope that this arrogant kid, and that is exactly how he acted just like a kid, does not win a championship. In fact, I hope he becomes the Jim Kelly of the NBA always getting this close to the NBA championship but never winning it.

To me he is the epitome of the modern day athlete. You know the, “Hey look at me aren’t I the greatest!” type of athlete that has not proven that he can win anything.

I didn't have a problem with the letter either. I applaud the fact that he could write that letter personally. It takes a lot for a man to openly come out and call this man out and it's something Lebron will now have to get use to. People are going to trash this guy left and right now that he is gone from Ohio.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/08/AR2010070806864.html

an article I found

Also I feel bad for Dan. He still has 11 million he can spend, but the talent is somewhat gone. His best bet would be to fill with quantity instead of quality. He has a decent PF/C combo with Anderson and Jamison. A backup there would help and someone to replace....... well subsidized his role.

The Cavs are like offshore drilling right now. A month ago everything was fine and people were on your side for it. Now one huge disaster and you are trying to stay afloat.

I would expect the Cavs fans to remain loyal and continue to support this team. I doubt they'll have a huge drop in ticket sales as well, unless they just come out like crap.

It does suck for the Cavs franchise as a whole and this will probably set them back big time. I mean before Lebron showed up the franchise was in a long funk, the memories of Ferry, Daugherty, Nance, and Harper were fleeting. Lebron injected an interest back into the franchise and now that he is gone, they will probably take a while to recover.

I have no problem with what Gilbert said either. My dad was here watching it with me, he never watches baskeball really, he knows who the big stars are though. He just turns to me and says, Who does this guy think he is? I bet Kobe wouldn't want his own special to announce he's leaving Los Angeles. His company is based out of Akron too and he was only interested because all the people that live around there and work with him were talking about how this could set Cleveland back a long way, not only in sports but in general.

All I gotta say to Dan Butthurt is: cry moar.

Betrayal this, cowardly that, selfishness this. Put a pipe on it, will you. This isn't about the state of the "hard-working" team they represent, but about what LeBron James wants to do with his life and his career. And granted, yes I found it extremely tacky to watch this... wide live conference to announce his decision like Mr. Big Shot, but all this sell-out talk is clearly over the top. LeBron hasn't betrayed anyone or been cowardly. He's just opportunistic and had a platter of choices before him. Sorry if LeBron single-handedly raised your economy which you just lost[or anything], but y'know... tough. Mike Brown barely did ****, if anyone's cup needs to be pissed in, it's his.

It was indeed narcissistic schtick from LeBron's part, clearly didn't need all the hype and promotion but heck... he may not have a ring on his finger, but for consolation prize's sake he's the back-to-back MVP who has the title at his fingertips. Not that it justifies anything but part of it had to be expected. Now, this quote:

In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

Someone needs to save that somewhere. Even if they do get/keep solid star power, if they flop in cardinal fashion it'll be a sweet personal taste for me to see.

I have no problem with what Gilbert said either. My dad was here watching it with me, he never watches baskeball really, he knows who the big stars are though. He just turns to me and says, Who does this guy think he is? I bet Kobe wouldn't want his own special to announce he's leaving Los Angeles. His company is based out of Akron too and he was only interested because all the people that live around there and work with him were talking about how this could set Cleveland back a long way, not only in sports but in general.

I agree with you and this truly shows to a Cleveland sports fan who the true queen is....

They were talking about 20 million lost just for the area around the arena. Also a couple years ago when Kobe was the selfish Kobe, he might have. Not now though and this, to me anyways, continues to put Lebron in a negative light. First was walking off the court after the Magic won and not staying to congratulate them on their win, next was the whole video tape debuckle, and now this.

I think it's hilarious. All these people complaining about how over the top the press conference THEY WERE WATCHING was. Um, how about not watching then?

Lol, I just waited till ESPN online announced it. After all the reports I have gotten the last two days I was pretty much sure Beasley was going to the Wolves so they could sign Lebron.

I think it's hilarious. All these people complaining about how over the top the press conference THEY WERE WATCHING was. Um, how about not watching then?

I did not actually watch the press conference, because the whole thought of it annoyed me. This is part of the reason why I am not a huge fan of the NBA anymore. You would never see Jordan, Magic, or Bird pull this crap.

Just read the Dan Gilbert letter. All I can say is "why didn't someone stop him from publishing this in any form?" Don't majority owners have somebody whose job is to help avoid public, national embarrassment? I mean seriously Dan you just showed the entire sports world that you are a moron of the highest order. Between his comic sans font, his huge reliance on ironic quotation marks, the fact that he considers LeBron's business decision a "betrayal" (uses the word four times). Also this is pretty good:

"This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become."

Actually the lesson "get out of Cleveland" is a pretty positive message for children. And it's not like he did it for the money. So why is it the opposite? Also why is "who" in quotes?

LeBron did what he thought was right by him, end of story. Did he do it in the most annoying way possible? YES. But that's not a reason to go out and embarrass yourself.

Haha...as if Cleveland couldnt get any worse. (At least yall arent Detroit? Well...I guess they have the Red Wings...)

Anyway, only way Cavs beat James to a championship is if he never wins one.

Or they start competing in some other sport.

Maybe put-put golf. Or bowling.