Official NBA Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oden will stay with the Blazers because 8 million for the option is a LOT cheaper than the 20 or thirty million they would need to bring in somebody from free agency. Oden at 8 million next year will actually be a "cheap" option for center.

That being said Greg Oden is not going to be the player people thought he was in college. I don't even think you can use the word potential for a guy like Oden since he's shown NO potential to be on that level. He's shown he can be solid but not Bill freaking Russell.

Anyway the Oklahoma City got Durant which I'm thankful for. Hopefully this time next year I'll be close enough to get season tickets.

I believe Portland has already declined his option so no 8 million isn't the option there. They got Camby last year and he probably has at least 2 more years of being their rebounder.

Conley has already lost his starting job this year to vazques, and looks god awful when he's on the floor.

He is a turnover machine, I loved every minute he played against the Celtics last week. I was way more concerned when vazquez was on the floor, rondo was absolutely murdering conley.

Griz are kicking themselves hopefully for giving him 5 years at 50 million

so to move away from Oden, has anyone seen the little impressive season Jameer Nelson is having? He has had back to back games of 9 ast or more, as well as 7 of the 10 games he has played he has 7 or more assist and 5 of the ten he has had 7 or more ast.

I have stated for a while a big reason the Magic wont be true contenders is maturity and Nelson being able to dish at will. He has looked very good in a bunch of the games they have played and the maturity of the whole team (Dwight) has looked extremely good to me.

Also Dwight seems to be finding his offense...... finally.

Vince Carter has looked good this year hitting 46% of his Three's. To bad we are still paying someone 19 mill to avg 10/5 a game :(.

Rashard Lewis seems to be shooting poorly this season. He didn't do bad last night though.

Nice game from Blake Griffin playing against Amar'e Stoudemire and the New York Knicks. He can jump like crazy for a white guy (okay, half-). Amar'e took him to school and the Knicks have picked up some wins from their west coast road trip.

Rudy Gay with a game winning shot over LeBron James. D-Wade was out and the Heat have started the season 8-5. Man was i way wrong in my eight ball on them. I thought they would have started the season better. But i know my role and i'll shut my mouth on that one.

Raptors and Hornets completed a trade. Peja & Bayless to Raptors for Andersen, Jarrett Jack, and Marcus Banks. Looks like a cost-cutting move for the Hornets who are notorious for selling their picks for cash.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="SaySo" data-cite="SaySo" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="27836" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Rashard Lewis seems to be shooting poorly this season. He didn't do bad last night though.<p> </p><p> Nice game from Blake Griffin playing against Amar'e Stoudemire and the New York Knicks. He can jump like crazy for a white guy (okay, half-). Amar'e took him to school and the Knicks have picked up some wins from their west coast road trip.</p><p> </p><p> Rudy Gay with a game winning shot over LeBron James. D-Wade was out and the Heat have started the season 8-5. Man was i way wrong in my eight ball on them. I thought they would have started the season better. But i know my role and i'll shut my mouth on that one.</p><p> </p><p> Raptors and Hornets completed a trade. Peja & Bayless to Raptors for Andersen, Jarrett Jack, and Marcus Banks. Looks like a cost-cutting move for the Hornets who are notorious for selling their picks for cash.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I don't see the trade that way. They picked up a very solid PG (IMHO) in Jack and Banks and Andersen are just more bodies. The Hornets are trying their best to put more talent around Chris Paul.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

Blockbuster trade making the rounds..

Carter, Gortat and Pietrus to Phoenix in exchange for Hedo, J-Rich and Earl Clark.

Lewis traded to Washington for Arenas.

I'm slightly taken aback Orlando decided to undergo this gamble while they're fourth in the conference, though maybe some unseen factors were going about. Lewis hasn't been as flashy this season so far but it looks like the Wizards got what they need, a bit. As for gaining Hedo back, I'm not sure he'll still be in top form as he was before, but who knows.

Blockbuster trade making the rounds..

Carter, Gortat and Pietrus to Phoenix in exchange for Hedo, J-Rich and Earl Clark.

Lewis traded to Washington for Arenas.

I'm slightly taken aback Orlando decided to undergo this gamble while they're fourth in the conference, though maybe some unseen factors were going about. Lewis hasn't been as flashy this season so far but it looks like the Wizards got what they need, a bit. As for gaining Hedo back, I'm not sure he'll still be in top form as he was before, but who knows.

I really like the trades for Orlando. Sure they had talent to begin with, but they seemed like they had settled in as the third or fourth best team in the East as the season draws on. They had to do something to shake things up.

Lewis is not a bad player, but he wasn't putting up anywhere close to the numbers he's paid for. Did you know he's the 2nd highest player in the league? I actually like J-Rich better in this lineup than Vince Carter, he seems to have aged much better, and unlike Carter won't be pressured to lead the offensive charge. I don't expect Turkaglu to be as good as he was the first time around, but he adds a sixth man who can do a little bit of everything. They also have a very good 1-2 point guard punch with Nelson and Arenas too. I'm really excited to see how this works out.

I really like the trades for Orlando. Sure they had talent to begin with, but they seemed like they had settled in as the third or fourth best team in the East as the season draws on. They had to do something to shake things up.

Lewis is not a bad player, but he wasn't putting up anywhere close to the numbers he's paid for. Did you know he's the 2nd highest player in the league? I actually like J-Rich better in this lineup than Vince Carter, he seems to have aged much better, and unlike Carter won't be pressured to lead the offensive charge. I don't expect Turkaglu to be as good as he was the first time around, but he adds a sixth man who can do a little bit of everything. They also have a very good 1-2 point guard punch with Nelson and Arenas too. I'm really excited to see how this works out.

I think these trades are interesting. Lewis for Arenas straight up was great to me. Yeah Arenas has a backed loaded contract and will be with us longer than Lewis by a year, but he is currently younger than Lewis can play PG and SG and if this trade puts energy back into him then Orlando would have one by a landslide. Lewis hasn't performed at all since the finals.

J-Rich I like better than Vince as well. They both get hurt, but Jason has still shown he can drive, plus he has the great corner 3. Hedo coming back does give the magic a couple things. First, his 3pt shot as provided it's best % the last two years. 2nd this allows the magic to uses a huge lineup again with Hedo as the PG. I will miss Gortat but everyone else was expendable.

They got rid of two whiny crybabies who don't play defense and Vince specifically is a guy with a reputation for folding if you play him tough; didn't Howard give an interview just this past week saying he was tired of having to try to block shots when his defenders on the wing just let guys blow past them?

And then ESPN showed examples of Lewis and Carter letting guys repeatedly drive around them. Addition by subtraction imo

JRich is gritty guy. If Hedo has anything left in the tank this trade is a win.

They got rid of two whiny crybabies who don't play defense and Vince specifically is a guy with a reputation for folding if you play him tough; didn't Howard give an interview just this past week saying he was tired of having to try to block shots when his defenders on the wing just let guys blow past them?

And then ESPN showed examples of Lewis and Carter letting guys repeatedly drive around them. Addition by subtraction imo

JRich is gritty guy. If Hedo has anything left in the tank this trade is a win.

Hedo is a much better Defender then Carter and J-Rich can defend well as well. The big reason he was traded away from the Bobcats was because they got two good defenders in return.

Yeah...I honestly looked at the trades and thought 'makes sense to me'

If they'd somehow managed to keep Pietrus I would've thought Orlando had gotten away with robbery.

I thought Gortat would have been the better option to keep. Now we need a backup center and we might have to push Daniel Orton into action sooner then we wanted.

How much do the Magic really need a backup center though? Howard is fit enough to run 35-38 minutes every game and for the 10-13 minutes he's off the floor, you can go with a small lineup with Bass or somebody at the low post and then Turk playing 4 with three guards.

Well, Boston is huge up front. Gortat is a luxury, but he would be nice to have if Howard has foul issues and you have to deal with Shaq, Glen Davis, KG, and a healthy Kendrick Perkins.

I don' think he's a necessity but I can see why you'd want him around

• 1 month later...
This is a shame:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-sloanretiring021011

This just goes to prove that the NBA is a players league now. I mean hell we now have star players hand picking the coaches, so what kind of power does a coach in the NBA have now.

While I believe it's a player's league now, I don't think Sloan would've let a young whippersnapper run him out of the job he's held since I was born :p

Very sad to see him leave :(

While I believe it's a player's league now, I don't think Sloan would've let a young whippersnapper run him out of the job he's held since I was born :p

Very sad to see him leave :(

I wonder if we will ever see a coach in any of the big four North American sports last as long as he did (I mean in the future because Connie Mack Managed the A's for like fifty years.).

That's a real bummer, because Sloan has been doing his thing forever, and it just had to end like this. Real damper.. sort of annoys me how many star players let some things go to their head. Some of them think if they come across as a "strong player with will to succeed" they can call all the shots no matter what they trample over.

Um, I'm on Deron's side on this. You play to win, and if your coach isn't putting in the same effort as you or the other guys then yeah, complain. He isn't the first to question Sloan's work ethic. Also, it was never an ultimatum or a "TRADE ME" style showdown.

Just a player trying to do what's best for his team. Utah fan's should feel lucky someone on there team cares enough to do that.

EDIT: I knew Yahoo news was bad, but damn that article was biased.

Um, I'm on Deron's side on this. You play to win, and if your coach isn't putting in the same effort as you or the other guys then yeah, complain. He isn't the first to question Sloan's work ethic. Also, it was never an ultimatum or a "TRADE ME" style showdown.

Just a player trying to do what's best for his team. Utah fan's should feel lucky someone on there team cares enough to do that.

EDIT: I knew Yahoo news was bad, but damn that article was biased.

Totaly agree with this. I think it was a case of Sloan being burned out and no longer being able to give what was necessary for his team to excel.

Ifanything, management should be blamed for not recognizing this sooner and giving Jerry the luxury to retire and get a more deserving send-off.

CAVS WIN!!!!!! YEAH!!!! is it sad that I'm happy over one win or what the credit for this win goes to Mo Williams, J.J. Hickson, Antwan Jamison, Daniel Gibson and Ramon Sessions. I personally think Mo is better without LBJ than with him because both are pass first type of players.

Also LBJ has words with a male fan in Detroit who had some choices words about Lebron's mom.