Official NBA Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

Sixers beat the Spurs tonight :D

Jrue Holiday had 27 points including 3-4 from three point land. Look out NBA, he's not even old enough to drink yet.

Well you do have to remember his year at UCLA which I believe was with Kevin Love, Holiday is a solid player and if Philly can get more around him, Iggy and Turner the Sixers can be competitive in the EASTERN conference.

CAVS WIN!!!!!! YEAH!!!! is it sad that I'm happy over one win or what the credit for this win goes to Mo Williams, J.J. Hickson, Antwan Jamison, Daniel Gibson and Ramon Sessions. I personally think Mo is better without LBJ than with him because both are pass first type of players.

Also LBJ has words with a male fan in Detroit who had some choices words about Lebron's mom.

yeah, most fans hoped the Clips would win, setting up a Cavs (20+ game losing streak) vs. Wiz (winless on the road) game. alas, it was not meant to be. oh well. LOL clippers.

Well you do have to remember his year at UCLA which I believe was with Kevin Love, Holiday is a solid player and if Philly can get more around him, Iggy and Turner the Sixers can be competitive in the EASTERN conference.

The Sixers are already competitive in the Eastern Conference. The problem has been learning how to win games. Since starting out 3-13 the Sixers are 22-15 on the year (15-5 at home). There have also been almost a dozen heartbreaking losses this year as well. Twice to Orlando, twice to Boston, once to the Lakers, two ridiculous losses to the Wizards, blowing a 20 point lead against the Grizzles.

Am I saying the Sixers should be mentioned amongst the eastern conference elite? No. But Doug Collins has got these guys vying for an honorable mention. The Sixers are definitely not a playoff pushover. Not with how well they play at home, especially. So I say: yes the Sixers are competitive in the east. Although this all depends on how you define competitive, doesn't it? Oh well...

The Sixers are already competitive in the Eastern Conference. The problem has been learning how to win games. Since starting out 3-13 the Sixers are 22-15 on the year (15-5 at home). There have also been almost a dozen heartbreaking losses this year as well. Twice to Orlando, twice to Boston, once to the Lakers, two ridiculous losses to the Wizards, blowing a 20 point lead against the Grizzles.

Am I saying the Sixers should be mentioned amongst the eastern conference elite? No. But Doug Collins has got these guys vying for an honorable mention. The Sixers are definitely not a playoff pushover. Not with how well they play at home, especially. So I say: yes the Sixers are competitive in the east. Although this all depends on how you define competitive, doesn't it? Oh well...

You're right but the Sixers are most likely the 7th or 8th seed and assuming you're a Sixers fan unless you want to get bounced by Boston or Miami (which is not a bad thing but judging if your a die hard you want them to do better than 6,7 or 8 seed.)

When you piss away 1/5th of the season, you have to change priorities. Right now the priority is to pass the Knicks and play as well as they can. If they can get the 6 seed they'd be most likely facing Chicago, Orlando, or Atlanta. All teams the Sixers could beat in a five game series. No matter what their seed is, whoever their opponent is will get a run for their money. They're making incremental improvements defensively, protect the ball, and play well at home. Those are very nice skills to have, especially when your team lacks a star.

Just making the playoffs is a huge step forward.

yeah, most fans hoped the Clips would win, setting up a Cavs (20+ game losing streak) vs. Wiz (winless on the road) game. alas, it was not meant to be. oh well. LOL clippers.

Argh, I became a Clippers fan this year and this loss is so infuriating. Makes it hard to cheer for them. Plus, as you mentioned, I wanted to see that matchup. LOL Clippers indeed.

No. Love had left. And Holiday came is as one of the top Gs in all of HS. (Rivals had him as high as the #2 prospect in the country)

His year at UCLA was actually a major disappointment. Awful, actually

if he had the season he was expected to have he wouldve easily been a top 10 pick

When you piss away 1/5th of the season, you have to change priorities. Right now the priority is to pass the Knicks and play as well as they can. If they can get the 6 seed they'd be most likely facing Chicago, Orlando, or Atlanta. All teams the Sixers could beat in a five game series. No matter what their seed is, whoever their opponent is will get a run for their money. They're making incremental improvements defensively, protect the ball, and play well at home. Those are very nice skills to have, especially when your team lacks a star.

Just making the playoffs is a huge step forward.

First round is a 7 game series???

yeah, everytime that team shows a lot of promise, they somehow manage to screw it up :rolleyes:

Argh, I became a Clippers fan this year and this loss is so infuriating. Makes it hard to cheer for them. Plus, as you mentioned, I wanted to see that matchup. LOL Clippers indeed.

Welcome to the last 20 years.

The Clippers are the worst franchise in sports, with the worst owner, and the most incompetent management.

If the CBA is anything like the current model, Blake Griffin is gone by the end of next season

The Clippers are the worst franchise in sports, with the worst owner, and the most incompetent management.

I agree, I wish the league could in some way force an owner to sell. Also, the Clippers need out of L.A., they will always be in the shadow of the Lakers no matter what they do.

The Clippers should move to St. Louis, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, or heck even back to Buffalo (And I do know that the NBA has had teams in all four locations in the past and they did not draw but I think out of the four St. Louis could be a great place for them to go. Granted much like Boston, St. Louis will always be a baseball town but I think a basketball team could draw there.).

I agree, I wish the league could in some way force an owner to sell. Also, the Clippers need out of L.A., they will always be in the shadow of the Lakers no matter what they do.

The Clippers should move to St. Louis, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, or heck even back to Buffalo (And I do know that the NBA has had teams in all four locations in the past and they did not draw but I think out of the four St. Louis could be a great place for them to go. Granted much like Boston, St. Louis will always be a baseball town but I think a basketball team could draw there.).

Actually, the truly sad thing is that the Clips used to play in Anaheim a few times a year, and there was a standing offer from the people there to buy and move the team. Anaheim is close enough to LA that the fans would still have been able to see their team, but far enough that they would've had their own town..similar to the Angels/Dodgers rivalry.

But Sterling knew he'd make more money holding onto the team once Staples opened and that was that.

Now Anaheim is interested in the Bobcats or possibly the Kings.

yeah, everytime that team shows a lot of promise, they somehow manage to screw it up :rolleyes:

Okay, curious question here...is it reasonable to assume that you're Filipino? If so, then hi there, from a fellow Filipino here in Hawaii. I grew up and spent my first eleven years there. I still visit the Philippines occasionally with family. It helps me keep up with national trends and reacquaint with loved ones.

If the CBA is anything like the current model, Blake Griffin is gone by the end of next season

Yes. I know about the Clippers' owner and their management blunders. I've been a Lakers fan since about '96, but I've always casually followed the Clippers as well.

They need Eric Gordon back, big time. They don't really have a slasher/perimeter threat. Foye's streaky. Gomes is strictly a spot-up shooter. Baron's playing well. Bledsoe is just embarrassing when he's trying to go 100 mph on every single possession. And their player rotation makes me just scratch my head. Brian Cook is a decent shooter, but he goes through stretches where he doesn't even play. I don't know why Deandre Jordan keeps disappearing as the game goes by when he's the main interior defensive presence. He's prone to foul trouble, but he challenges shots down there.

The Lakers are so ho-hum, going through the motions right now. Playoffs can't get here soon enough.

Okay, curious question here...is it reasonable to assume that you're Filipino? If so, then hi there, from a fellow Filipino here in Hawaii. I grew up and spent my first eleven years there. I still visit the Philippines occasionally with family. It helps me keep up with national trends and reacquaint with loved ones.

Yup, Filipino-Chinese, actually. Born and raised here :D

I still wonder what Lebron would have looked like as a Clipper. I still think it was one of his better options even with the crap ownership. They have tried in the past for big time free agents, but like Peter said as long as their owner remains they will remain the same team and if the CBA stays the same Blake Griffin will not accpet a long term contract when his rookie contract ends. He will probably take the one or two years to get out of RFA status and leave. Same with Eric Gordon.

Also I still think D-Rose is the number 3 player in the nba :p

Well, he's at least in the conversation as the #3 point guard in the league, along with Paul, Westbrook, Nash, Rondo (when healthy), and Williams. Unfortunately that doesn't take into account guys like LeBron and Wade, Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant, Kobe, and more. Rose is definitely improving every year, but the only category he leads all point guards in is points. He's 10th in assists per game, 37th in assists to turnover, and 52nd in steals per game. If he shored up on defense and limited his turnovers, he could be a top 3 player, but I don't see it right now.

I still wonder what Lebron would have looked like as a Clipper. I still think it was one of his better options even with the crap ownership. They have tried in the past for big time free agents, but like Peter said as long as their owner remains they will remain the same team and if the CBA stays the same Blake Griffin will not accpet a long term contract when his rookie contract ends. He will probably take the one or two years to get out of RFA status and leave. Same with Eric Gordon.

Melo, Bosh, Durantula, Kobe are just a couple ahead of D-Rose.

Melo, Bosh, Durantula, Kobe are just a couple ahead of D-Rose.

Bosh?!? The guy averaging less than 20 pounds and 10 rebounds? The guy who has less blocks this season than his guard teammate Dwayne Wade? If anything, playing with two true superstars has shown how far from being a true superstar Bosh still is. He's an effective offensive player, a decent rebounder, and... that's it. Compare that to KG, who has a huge impact on the defensive end, Love, who is a far better rebounder, Amare, who is a far more aggressive scorer.

I'd say Rose is ahead of 'Melo, too, although it's close. I'd say both are definitely top 15 and probably top 10 players, but going beyond that is pushing it.

Those Player Efficiency guys might start hearing that argument; I still think he's arguably not even in the Top 10 depending on how you view PGs.

Bosh?!? The guy averaging less than 20 pounds and 10 rebounds? The guy who has less blocks this season than his guard teammate Dwayne Wade? If anything, playing with two true superstars has shown how far from being a true superstar Bosh still is. He's an effective offensive player, a decent rebounder, and... that's it. Compare that to KG, who has a huge impact on the defensive end, Love, who is a far better rebounder, Amare, who is a far more aggressive scorer.

Yeah..this season proves Bosh is a great #3 option, but there are probably 10 PFs that I'd take before him. He's like a poor man's Carlos Boozer at this point. He gives them zero low post presence and that bites the Heat in the butt in every close game.

Yeah his offense is significantly better than Garnett's or Duncan's, but those guys anchor their team in the 4th quarter and allow their guards to be more aggressive because they know they've got somebody altering shots if their man gets past them. For a guy with Bosh's athleticism and length, it's pathetic how bad a defensive player he is. I mean he's two inches longer and 20 pounds heavier than Tayshaun Prince, and two inches taller and 10 pounds heavier than Andrei Kirilenko, but those guys actually play defense on the wing and in the post far better than Bosh.

I mean as a #3 scoring option he is great, and it's a luxury to have a 4 who can take the 18 footer or the 3-pointer in addition to the low post shot, but a championship team needs somebody willing to bang in the middle, and Bosh is not that guy, and neither is LeBron. Both of them should be significantly better interior defenders than they are. LeBron needs to wake up and realize that at 6'8, 250 pounds he can play 4-5 on defense. Ben Wallace is listed as one inch taller and 10 pounds lighter. There's no excuse except he doesn't like doing it, so he doesn't.

I dont think Id say that Bosh's offense is significantly better than KG or Duncan either. KG and Duncan defer to other options better suited to handle the bulk scoring right now while Bosh still gets his fair share of shots up despite shooting less than 50 percent. Id guess that Duncan or KG would average around what Bosh does on less shots playing on that team being forced to log more minutes than the other two.

I dont think Id say that Bosh's offense is significantly better than KG or Duncan either. KG and Duncan defer to other options better suited to handle the bulk scoring right now while Bosh still gets his fair share of shots up despite shooting less than 50 percent. Id guess that Duncan or KG would average around what Bosh does on less shots playing on that team being forced to log more minutes than the other two.

Fact is Bosh was brought in to be a 10 REB a night type guy and he isn't close to that. Bosh was helped out with the Raptors when it came to REB's because their center is one of the worst in the history of the sport for his position. At the beginning of the year I would have said Bosh was a top 15 guy, but now I would drop him into 20-25 range. There are far better players out there right now than Bosh and it has nothing to do with his scoring. He is a good player and his huge drop in numbers has something to do changing teams and system, but a top 15 guy can go anywhere and still be fine.

Also Bosh avg more minutes for a couple reasons. 1) he is much younger then the two 34 year old 15 plus season players. 2) He doesn't have a bench that would allow him less minutes.

His scoring might be down because he attempts 3 less shots, but his avg has also dropped by 2% in shooting % and his FT attempts per game have dropped by 3 this season to only 5.7 attempts per game.

Also Tim and KG aren't the main guys on their team anymore and havent been for awhile. Bosh still has better numbers then them offensively, but Defensively he is a guy whole might get you a steal (.5 per game) and BLK (.8 per game) which is down from his career avg. KG and Tim still know how to play Defense.

Those Player Efficiency guys might start hearing that argument; I still think he's arguably not even in the Top 10 depending on how you view PGs.

Yeah..this season proves Bosh is a great #3 option, but there are probably 10 PFs that I'd take before him. He's like a poor man's Carlos Boozer at this point. He gives them zero low post presence and that bites the Heat in the butt in every close game.

Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, KG, Tim Duncan, Josh Smith, Amare, Gasol, Zach Randolph (I like his 20ppg and 13 RB at 6-9) David Lee (much better passer then Bosh), Aldridge are just a couple of people I'd use over Bosh.