Official NBA Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

<p>You know what I love about offseasons.... rumors.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

The Magic have been linked to Chris Paul, Peja, and James Posey/Oakfur for Carter and Nelson or Nelson, JJ Redick, the 27th pick, and 2 more future 1st round picks. </p><p> </p><p>

They also have been linked to Arenas for Carter, and Bosh for Bass, Gortat, Petrius, and future picks.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Man a lineup of</p><p> </p><p>

Paul, Areans (playing SG but can score to do it), Lewis, Bosh, and Howard would be crazy lmao, with Oakfur coming of the bench.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Honestly if the Hornets to trade Paul, Magic (similar to Bosh with the Raptors) would be their best deal. They could get more talent overall while dumping Peja, and Oakfor or Posey contract and still get enough talent back to compete in the West.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="jbergey_2005" data-cite="jbergey_2005" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="27836" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I just wanted to come in and add the Twolves and their GM suck horribly. What a complete joke of a team. Apparently they think the best way to rebuild is through the 2nd round of the NBA draft.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I liked the trade to get the 30th and 35th. I didn't like the pick of Trevor because really he would have had to beat out Brewer who came back healthy this season and put decent numbers. Booker to me wasn't even a first round talent heading into the draft. His Offensives numbers were down across the board this year with assist the only one that rose by .7.</p><p> </p><p> I thought the pick of Wesley Johnson was a smart one. It gives Flynn someone he is use to as well as a guy I believe could score 20 ppg by his 4 year. I thought coming into this draft the Wolves were pretty set in their starting line-up with the SG position being their only concern on the starting 5. Now they will go into the second round with two high picks in 30 and 35 and add depth to that bench. I am not saying this team will contend for the playoffs this year, but they had a nice first round with the possiblity of getting a future go to score in Johnson.</p><p> </p><p> Hayward is a nice high % shooter that can play the SF, SG, and PG when they go big. He improved his inside the arch shooting while his outside dipped some. He also grabbed a good amount of rebounds. Also I loved the pick of Nemanja, he pretty much is a Hedo with out the long shot ability. He knows how to handle the ball and is tall enough he can play 4 positions on the court.</p><p> </p><p> I thought the Wolves came out of the draft much improved. Once again those are just my thoughs.</p>

I liked the trade to get the 30th and 35th. I didn't like the pick of Trevor because really he would have had to beat out Brewer who came back healthy this season and put decent numbers. Booker to me wasn't even a first round talent heading into the draft. His Offensives numbers were down across the board this year with assist the only one that rose by .7.

I thought the pick of Wesley Johnson was a smart one. It gives Flynn someone he is use to as well as a guy I believe could score 20 ppg by his 4 year. I thought coming into this draft the Wolves were pretty set in their starting line-up with the SG position being their only concern on the starting 5. Now they will go into the second round with two high picks in 30 and 35 and add depth to that bench. I am not saying this team will contend for the playoffs this year, but they had a nice first round with the possiblity of getting a future go to score in Johnson.

Hayward is a nice high % shooter that can play the SF, SG, and PG when they go big. He improved his inside the arch shooting while his outside dipped some. He also grabbed a good amount of rebounds. Also I loved the pick of Nemanja, he pretty much is a Hedo with out the long shot ability. He knows how to handle the ball and is tall enough he can play 4 positions on the court.

I thought the Wolves came out of the draft much improved. Once again those are just my thoughs.

The point with the Booker deal was not so much that the trading him for them picks was a bad trade it was the fact that they could have taken someone they could have used and not traded the pick for 2 guys that wont see the court.

And I disagree the wolves didnt improve much at all. They brought in similiar talent to what they already have + Wesley Johnson.

He knows how to handle the ball and is tall enough he can play 4 positions on the court.

The same thing was said about Toni Kukoc but as it turns out, being able to play 4 positions is a far cry from being able to play 4 positions decently, much less 'well'. Nemanja is soft (which, to be fair, is the case for most players from Europe) so you don't want him banging as he'll get eaten alive. Put him in the post with a Dwight Howard and you might as well call him 'mulch'. You also don't want him on an elite 2 who will break his ankles or otherwise make him look silly. So, despite the fact that on paper he can play four positions, in reality, he's a 3. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think Minnesota went with the most cost effective method of adding players. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not put too much lipstick on this pig. They didn't really make themselves competitive but on the bright side, if any of those players don't pan out, they're not out much money. And, given the relative quality of their existing roster, these rookies are bound to get lots of playing time, which should accelerate their growth.

This year's draft is gargage for the most part.

There's maybe a dozen guys who are going to be solid, reliable members of a team's 9 man rotation...five or six of those will be starters..with only 2 0r 3 possible All Stars.

It's a weak class. So I didn't care at all about last night. Wake me up when free agency begins.

I enjoyed the draft, it felt like it was now ok not to be mad anymore about the C's losing. :) I hope we make wise decisions esp considering we have like 63 Million already tied up in 5 players I believe (KG, Big Baby, Perk, Rajon, Wallace is there a 6th I am missing Gator?). Need to get younger but not to quickly - like over the next 3 years or so. We gotta be competitive. That 15 win season few years ago did not go down well in Beantown I tell ya! I would be happy with another 4 seed next year. Alright enuff of my ranting Celtic thoughts.

The Bulls are gonna be a beast next year! They are gonna at the very least attract J. Johnson to go along with Boozer or Amare, and that is only if they fail in the King and Bosh sweepstakes.

Like to see Bosh go the Miami to team with D-Wade with Johnson and Booze going to Chicago.

Don't really care where LBJ goes. I hope the Slovenia Nationals.

Lotsa reports out there that Wallace has retired but has told the Cs he's gonna wait to file the paperwork, that way they can trade him to a team looking to get some cap relief and an expiring contract.

And if I was a Celtics fans it would be MONTHS before I was over blowing a 13 point lead in the third quarter of Game 7 and losing an NBA title to the team I hate most. :p

CQ beat me to it but..according to Simmons at espn.com:

(Follow-up note: Apparently he's doing one last noble act, not filing his retirement papers right away so the Celtics can trade his cap figure for another player … which, ironically, gives him real value to teams looking to dump payroll and/or get under the tax. This reminds me of a dying Darth Vader being nice to Luke Skywalker at the end of "Return of the Jedi." I don't know where this is coming from, but thank you, Darth!)

CQ beat me to it but..according to Simmons at espn.com:

(Follow-up note: Apparently he's doing one last noble act, not filing his retirement papers right away so the Celtics can trade his cap figure for another player … which, ironically, gives him real value to teams looking to dump payroll and/or get under the tax. This reminds me of a dying Darth Vader being nice to Luke Skywalker at the end of "Return of the Jedi." I don't know where this is coming from, but thank you, Darth!)

I wonder how the NBA will handle this. I remember when the Mavs did this with Van Horn it through up some red flags with the NBA.

Meh

The NBA allows deals like the one this past season where the Cavs dealt Ilgauskas to a another team, knowing he'd get bought out, just so they could re-sign him 3 weeks later.

I doubt they're going to make any changes in these loop holes before the next CBA.

The new owner of the Wiz is also the owner of the Caps and he was talking about how NHL's cap is a hard cap and really helps the teams maintain their income. He then stats that NBA really needs to fix it's cap structure, stating that owners are going broke. He also mentions that Agents know how to manipulate the cap to give their players more money.

He goes on to talk about how it is the owners faults for giving in to the pressure of the agents, but said it's ridiculous how some of the teams spend money or how they can still be players in the free agent market even when they are 10 million over their cap.

Kinda sucks because C's were looking like a team with not much to trade and now they have a big piece for anyone who wants to dump salary.

The new owner of the Wiz is also the owner of the Caps and he was talking about how NHL's cap is a hard cap and really helps the teams maintain their income. He then stats that NBA really needs to fix it's cap structure, stating that owners are going broke. He also mentions that Agents know how to manipulate the cap to give their players more money.

He goes on to talk about how it is the owners faults for giving in to the pressure of the agents, but said it's ridiculous how some of the teams spend money or how they can still be players in the free agent market even when they are 10 million over their cap.

Sounds to me like he completely contradicted his own point...first he's saying the system is broke then he blames the owners.

Also..lol at anyone from the NHL telling people in the NBA how to run their business.

Sounds to me like he completely contradicted his own point...first he's saying the system is broke then he blames the owners.

Also..lol at anyone from the NHL telling people in the NBA how to run their business.

He kind of did and one reporter even pointed that out. I agree with the fact that the NBA's cap is a little funky though.

Also Peter I don't agree with you on the NHL shouldn't tell NBA owners how to run their businesses. Reports are saying that NHL has better attendance then the NBA

Also the NHL has done a wonderful job fixing not only their image. but also their business plans when it comes to their teams. Teams aren't losing money like they once were, with the execption being the Coyotes who struggled before the lockout with money.

I am not saying that the NHL has caught the NBA is pop., but with a set cap, attendance and ratings increasing the NHL is a recovering sport that is looking extremely good business wise now. The NBA on the other hand has seen attendance drop and a weird cap structure result in a loss of 400 million for the league.

He kind of did and one reporter even pointed that out. I agree with the fact that the NBA's cap is a little funky though.

Also Peter I don't agree with you on the NHL shouldn't tell NBA owners how to run their businesses. Reports are saying that NHL has better attendance then the NBA

Also the NHL has done a wonderful job fixing not only their image. but also their business plans when it comes to their teams. Teams aren't losing money like they once were, with the execption being the Coyotes who struggled before the lockout with money.

I am not saying that the NHL has caught the NBA is pop., but with a set cap, attendance and ratings increasing the NHL is a recovering sport that is looking extremely good business wise now. The NBA on the other hand has seen attendance drop and a weird cap structure result in a loss of 400 million for the league.

Listen, I'm not getting into a debate over NHL v NBA from a busines standpoint.

The NHL is recovering, but they had fallen so far down the pecking order in terms of relevance on the landscape of American sports that they really had nowhere to go but up. They HAVE to have a hard cap because it was the only way to keep themselves financially viable.

But as to the NBA salary cap: I don't care if it's 'funky' or if it has a bunch of loopholes because the underlying purposes of those loopholes is to allow teams to keep their own players (which is good for those teams) and to allow big market/wealthy teams to add talent even if they're already at the luxury tax threshhold (which is good for the league).

So yeah..he has a point. But at the end of the day, there are plenty of teams (like Portland and OKC and San Antonio) that have put together good teams w/o signing mediocre players to bad contracts.

Owners should sign a good GM and maybe they wouldn't have this kind of stuff to complain about.

Listen, I'm not getting into a debate over NHL v NBA from a busines standpoint.

The NHL is recovering, but they had fallen so far down the pecking order in terms of relevance on the landscape of American sports that they really had nowhere to go but up. They HAVE to have a hard cap because it was the only way to keep themselves financially viable.

But as to the NBA salary cap: I don't care if it's 'funky' or if it has a bunch of loopholes because the underlying purposes of those loopholes is to allow teams to keep their own players (which is good for those teams) and to allow big market/wealthy teams to add talent even if they're already at the luxury tax threshhold (which is good for the league).

So yeah..he has a point. But at the end of the day, there are plenty of teams (like Portland and OKC and San Antonio) that have put together good teams w/o signing mediocre players to bad contracts.

Owners should sign a good GM and maybe they wouldn't have this kind of stuff to complain about.

How is the tax threshold and loopholes good for the NBA is your view? Cavs are one of the best teams out there in selling tickets, they are over the limit and mainly so they have a chance to use the loophole and sign Lebron. They have lost 20 million each of the last to seasons

http://www.thisis50.com/profiles/blogs/the-nba-says-it-lost-400

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/02/14/stern-nba-teams-losing-400-million-salaries-must-be-cut/

I would just like you to explain how this all these things are good for the NBA.

Also, why does the NHL HAVE to have a hard cap to keep themselves financially viable, but here is the NBA and it's okay for not to? NBA has obviously proven that they can't handle this cap structure. Once again I am not trying to start a debate, I would just like for you to explain your view on this.

Also of the teams you said make smart signings, none are apart of the 3 to 5 teams expected to MAKE money this year

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/02/12/stern-doesnt-expect-contentious-all-star-labor-negotiations/

Those are all links to stories put out by Stern and the NBA in anticipation of a labor negotiation.

I know that the economy and the decrease in TV revenue has hurt the NBA, but I'm not willing to believe that 90% of the teams are losing money. Every time this kind of stuff comes up all owners everywhere claim they're losing money.

What would be your suggestion? Pro athletes making 40 K a year because owners claim that they can't afford any more?

And again..who's responsibility is it that these players get paid what they do?

The owners aren't children. If they were REALLY losing that much money then the salaries would've gone down organically years ago.

LOL Hawks. Same goes to whatever team offers Amare Stoudemire a max deal.

This.

Plus the Bucks just gave Drew Gooden a 5 year, $32 million deal and the TWolves gave darko a 4 year $20 million deal.

THAT'S why i find it so hard to listen to anyone who wants to blame the "cap structure" for the financial troubles of some of these teams.