WWF 1989 - The Golden Age Of Sports Entertainment.

The Honky Tonk Man vs "The Mighty" Hercules

Another one I know I'm wrong about but, again, more of a fan of Hercules. Looking forward to seeing Power and Glory!

lol nice. I'm actually a HUGE mark for Power and Glory. How bout this. Power & Glory will appear in this diary when you put the WCW Tag Team Titles on The Skyscrapers in yours. :D

The Twin Towers vs The Bushwhackers

Very underrated big-men team. It'll be fun to see them against the Rockers and Harts.

Agreed. Perhaps the best entrance theme of all time too lol.

The Twin Towers vs The Bushwhackers

I hope you keep the Towers together for a while yet - depends on whether you decide to pair up Andre & Haku I suppose... couldn't really have two big men teams like that and the Towers would have to go especially if the other one has a star like Andre in it.

The Honky Tonk Man vs "The Mighty" Hercules

Herc's a glorified jobber. Not much glory either, he's more a power guy... see what I did there? ;)

Yeah, I have a lot panned out for this diary... mostly up to WrestleMania VI and even a little beyond but thats something I'm still a little bit unsure of. The key I think is to have a divine plan, but ultimately let the diary 'write itself' in some ways.

Again, LOVING all the P&G references so far :D

I just quoted BHK and deleted the
:D

Awesome.

http://cdn2.ioffer.com/img/item/967/832/81/RuCi7MU8mwixaIA.jpg

Pre-Taped (Airs Saturday) from Convention Hall in Asbury Park, New Jersey

1,760 in Attendance

Tuesday: Week One, September 1989

Dark Match: Demolition defeated The Brooklyn Brawler & Bad News Brown when Smash pinned The Brooklyn Brawler following the Demolition Decapitation (8:05).

Dark Match: Greg "The Hammer" Valentine defeated The Red Rooster via submission with the Figure Four Leg Lock, following a distraction from Jimmy Hart (8:24).

"Macho Man" Randy Savage defeated Jim Powers via pinfall, following the Flying Elbow Smash (7:50).

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper cuts a pre-taped backstage promo, saying that if Rick Rude wants to dance, then dancin' is what they'll do.

Rick "The Model" Martel cuts a pre-taped backstage promo, blaming Tito Santana for his loss on Prime Time.

The Twin Towers defeated The Bushwhackers when Akeem pinned Luke, following the 747 Splash (5:50).

A video airs: "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase puts Jake "The Snake" Roberts out of commission back in May.

Ted DiBiase comes down to ringside for his match and grabs a microphone. He states that if Jake Roberts wants his Million Dollar Title, why dont he hobble his way down here and come get it.

"The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase defeated "The Birdman" KoKo B. Ware via submission with The Million Dollar Dream (9:40).

Post Match: Jake "The Snake" Roberts comes charging down to ringside. He begins to unload on Ted DiBiase, backing him into a corner. DiBiase is stunned, and Roberts nails him with the short-am clothesline! He signals for the DDT, but Virgil sneaks under the bottom rope and gets DiBiase outta there. He did however forget to grab one thing . . . The Million Dollar Title, which is now in the posession of Jake Roberts.

"The Immortal" Hulk Hogan cuts a pre-taped backstage promo, challenging "The Human Wrecking Machine" Zeus to a one-on-one match at Saturday Nights Main Event.

The Hart Foundation defeated The Powers Of Pain when Bret Hart pinned The Barbarian, following the Hart Attack (10:28). During the match however, The WWF Tag Team Champions: The Brain Busters came down to ringside as Mr. Fuji had the official tied up. The Barbarian held Bret from behind, as Tully went to nail him with the Tag Team title . . . but Bret DUCKED and he caught The Barbarian square in the jaw, costing The Powers Of Pain the victory.

Post Match: The Hart Foundation escape quickly, as The Brain Busters attempt to apologize to The Powers Of Pain and assist The Barbarian . . . which he wants no part of. The Warlord tells them to leave a few times, which they eventually do in a discouraging manner as the show goes off the air.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f8/WrestlingChallenge.png

Pre-Taped (Airs Sunday) from Convention Hall in Asbury Park, New Jersey

1,760 in Attendance

Tuesday: Week One, September 1989

Dark Match: Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake defeated Barry Horowitz via submission with the Sleeper (3:38).

Dark Match: "Canadian Strongman" Dino Bravo defeated "Rugged" Ronnie Garvin via pinfall, following the Sidewalk Slam (7:48).

A short intro video airs, re-capping some of the events that transpired on Prime Time and Superstars.

* "The Human Wrecking Machine" Zeus decimates "The Immortal" Hulk Hogan.

* Andre The Giant ambushes The Ultimate Warrior.

* "Ravishing" Rick Rude attacks "Rowdy" Roddy Piper backstage.

* Jake Roberts returns, and goes right for Ted DiBiase . . . 'capturing' the Million Dollar Title.

The Rockers defeated The Brooklyn Brawler & Bad News Brown when Marty Jannetty pinned The Brooklyn Brawler, following the Double Flying Fist Drop (5:57).

Post Match: The Rockers celebrate for a moment, before The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers hit the ring and attack them from behind. They nail both Rockers with the La Bombe Rougeau, much to the delight of their manager, Jimmy Hart.

Mr. Perfect cuts a pre-taped backstage promo. He lays out a challenge to ANYONE in the World Wrestling Federation to face him at Saturday Nights Main Event.

The Ultimate Warrior cuts a pre-taped backstage promo, saying that the time will come when The Warrior clashes with The Giant. And when it does, the ship will sink leaving only one force strong enough to re-crack the surface. Abide by the POWER of The Warrior. Whatever that means.

Hercules defeated The Honky Tonk Man via submission with the Full Nelson, following botched interference by Jimmy Hart (9:44).

Post Match: Hercules celebrates his victory in the ring.

http://images.tvrage.com/shows/11/10265.jpg

Quick Picks:

"Ravishing" Rick Rude vs Steve Simpson

Tito Santana vs "The Nature Boy" Buddy Landell

Shawn Michaels vs Raymond Rougeau

Rhythm N' Blues vs Demolition

Tully Blanchard vs Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart

WWF Intercontinental Title Match:

"Macho Man" Randy Savage vs The Ultimate Warrior ©

Good Luck to all.

I knew that The Hart Foundation would pick up the win over the Powers of Pain but I had a little hope it would go the other way around. Damn Blanchard attacking! lol.

It will be interesting to me to see if Steve Simpson remains a jobber or not.

Arriba Santana, el chico gets the win.

Shawn gets the win here so Jacques can get the win over Marty maybe next week?

I like Valentine but not huge on Honky Tonk. Demolition gets the win with the Decapitation!

Blanchard uses some shenanigans to pick up the win since Bret beat Double A last week.

A tough match to decide but from parts unknown we feel the power of the Ultimate Warrior running through our veins. The Macho Man will have no choice against the mighty force of mighty power that has come to be known as The Ultimate Warrior.

Is Steve Simpson the dude from South Africa who teamed with his brother?

I have always hated Shawn Michaels but come on he is not going to lose to Raymond.

Even though Ax and Smash were RW ripoffs I was still a fan of them.

Tully was awsome, Jim not so much...

It will be interesting to me to see if Steve Simpson remains a jobber or not.

lol that'll depend solely on how he performs. Funny thing, after my first week of play, my highest rated match was DiBiase vs Koko. Actually, both of his matches did rather well (Koko that is). If HE keeps performing at this level, he just might not be the Greatest 'JOBBER' of all time anymore. Who knows? Maybe he'll be the Greatest 'Lower Midcarder' of all time :D

Is Steve Simpson the dude from South Africa who teamed with his brother?

Yes. He also teamed with 'Conan' Chris Walker at one point too.

Nice start. I really like these old WWE diaries since they teach me some wrestling history while being entertaining at the same time. I have next to no idea about most wrestlers on this time so these predictions are more or less complete guesses.

I actually know Rude is while I have no idea who Simpson is

Same here I have no idea who Landell is

This one is likely pretty close match but..yeah I go with HBK even though I know he isn´t main eventer yet.

No idea about Rhythm and Blues either

Finally a match up where I actually predict based on other things than who I know. Blanchard wins here since Bret beated Anderson in last Prime Time

I would expect that Macho is little too over for midcard belt so maybe a DQ or count out victory for Warrior.

Straight forward victory for The Ravishing One

I can see a 'Gillberg' style mocking campaign of Ric Flair going on here with the signing of Landell but Tito's working a feud with The Model and should be kept strong.

This is a toughie but I'm siding with the future HBK - Ray (at this point) is the weaker Rougeau while Shawn is the stronger Rocker.

Another tough one given that RnB have not been established as a team yet. But Demolition (in this form at least) were all sorts of awesome - going with Ax and Smash.

As with everyone else, I'm backing Tully because a) He's a better wrestler than the Anvil and b) Bret has already beaten Arn.

Following his recent backstage shennanigans, I can see The Warrior being stripped of his title before too long, however, Macho's just too far up the card at this stage - At the same time, I don't think the Warrior should get the win here though given his recent behaviour so I'm going with a Double DQ.

I didn't know the other nature boy worked up north?

"Macho Man" Randy Savage vs The Ultimate Warrior

I see Duggan playing a part....

I forgot about Simpson being a jobber in the WWF....

Landell would make a great JTTS at this time in WWF... So would Tito for that matter, but Tito has theWWF history that Landell doesnt

Should be a great match, but its hard to put aside in our head of where Michaels will be going and where Rougeau will be going

I really dislike everything about Honkeytonk man... I love Valentine, but not the jet black haired one... I like the stiff @ss kicking blond haired one from early 80"s

edge to Tully here

"Macho Man" Randy Savage vs The Ultimate Warrior (c

I'm going with the double DQ/CO rout on this one as well

This is really fun... I love the historic mods and currently I'm doing a 1983 WWF, so it'll be interesting to see what I'll look like in the future if I can make it 5 more years of game time

I expect big things from the Ravishing One.

Step aside, Ric Flair. You may be the real World's Champion, but this is the real Nature Boy.

I'm going to buck the trend here, and go with Ray. Sure, Michaels is rediculously talented, but there is absolutely no reason he'll be cutting through the tag division, on his way to bigger things. The Rockers are here to stay, and if anyone does rise from it, I'd love for it to be Marty.

What an awesome match-up. This is late-80s gold, right here. Rhythm N' Blues are kind of the odd men out, in your tag division. You've got the Brainbusters as your working heels, and a bunch of monster teams to rotate through. RNB are left directionless, and that never bodes well. I could go for seeing a Valentine face turn.

Anvil returns the favour.

I agree with some of the sentiment here. This will likely end in a draw.

Ravishing Rick is going to be facing Roddy Piper soon, so...

Tito needs momentum when he takes on "The Model"...

I don't see Janetty getting a big singles push, since so far you are mirroring history....

Much as I love the Honky Tonk Man, Demolition is goign to come out on top here.

Tully picks up a cheap win.

As I recall, the IC title was more floating than pure midcard at this time, so I can see Macho Man picking up the win over Warrior. Risky propostion, but I went with the safe bets in all the others...

I love this diary. Though it happened about 5 years prior to my entrance into wrestling fandom, it was still a great era. Looking forward to what you do with it. Hoping for a Rick Martel push...

-I think Warrior wins, but I want Macho to win.

Archived