For your consideration

I'm old enough to have been around when code was all people could do in classrooms. The internet wasn't even around then and i can tell you from experience that code is very complex.

In some cases on large projects you get to a point that you realize that there is a problem that can't be fixed. You spend many days going over it, rewriting it and rewriting it. Try as you might though in the end you have to scrap it and start over. The frustration that builds from that experience in some cases gets to the point that you need to take a break.

This is Grey Dog Software not Electronic Arts or Yukes and a problem like this doesn't have as many people going over it trying to figure out the problem. So there is a greater chance of higher frustration, more breaks and less minds on the task at hand.

I highly doubt that Arlie has stopped the project without informing people interested in it but he could be in a highly frustrating situation and needed to take a step back for a breather and come back to it in a different mindset.

Not to rag on anyone but coming down on him could just be adding to any potential frustration. He might feel compelled to do something on it because of this but the frustration is still there and it can be a hindrance if you can't get that fresh mindset.

Now I'm not saying anything I've previously typed is fact just a possibility.

Yeah! It lookslike a good game so far! Brooks keeps everyone updated & which in turn keeps the interest up! If Arlie is still working on the game, but has taken a break or is going slower than he expected, then he should let people know! I have already lost interest. I am getting The one at Barcode & the one at Action PC. I'll check back in 6 months or so but won't hold my breath.

That's the deal that has so many of us frustrated. The quickest way to alienate your customers, in any business, is to not communicate with them.

A couple of years ago, we were told we were getting a pro football game followed, likely, by the next update to the college game. Then it all went away and no one really explained why.

People will respect you more if you're upfront about it. I'd rather hear, "Sorry guys, I lost my job/had a death in the family/decided to become a trappist monk" and know the project was dead rather than just sit here wondering if/when we're going to see something.

Developing the game is Arlie's deal, but the lack of communication is a Grey Dog problem. If this thing is still a possibility, put out a timeline. If you have to edit it later, that's fine -- just put it out there so people know what to expect. Plus, if you actually commit to a timeline, it's a good way to keep yourself accountable.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the existence of this board is a bit of a tease. Every few weeks, someone makes a thread trying to figure out why there haven't been any updates or to hate on Arlie.

It's been well over 2 years since this board opened and little has come of it except frustration and flaming.

I think that if the game is still being worked on, but Arlie doesn't have the time to make updates about it, why not close the board? All this board does is imply the game is vaporware.

Archived