Offical NHL Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

Your Stanley Cup Champions the Boston Bruins

Well I must admit I am a bit shocked by this outcome. Happy but shocked nevertheless. I am not a huge Hockey fan but I have always had a soft spot for the Bruins as they are my "local" team (If you can call a team that plays fifty miles away local.) and their minor league team plays ten minutes from my house. I am just glad they won because I did not think they had a chance.

Congrats to Boston. Quite happy to see the Bruins take it.

Moerso, I am emberassed what the "fans" in Vancouver decided to do afterward. Utterly ridiculous.

Yeah I never got why people do that in any sport. Yeah let's burn down the city sounds like fun!

Exactly.

I live in Vancouver. That was totally, an utter disgrace.

A shame, I lived in the (US) Northwest for several years, made about a half dozen visits to Vancouver and it (all of B.C. really) was an incredible place

Damn drunken hockey fans :mad:

Oh wait...that would include me :o

A shame, I lived in the (US) Northwest for several years, made about a half dozen visits to Vancouver and it (all of B.C. really) was an incredible place

Damn drunken hockey fans :mad:

Oh wait...that would include me :o

Were you in the riot?

According to police it's wasn't hockey fans rioting, but then again number 1 on their riot checklist is to blame random people.

Seems legit in this case, though. At least so far. There were reports even during the game that people overheard talking "let's riot afterward". Could have just been drunks talking but it was heard repeatedly by some reports. Also, police have reported that many of the instigators and looters had "gear" that they brought with him - masks, googles, and fire-starting stuff - which makes it seem very questionable if they were there as fans at all.

Don't get me wrong - its not like Canuck fans are free of blame here entirely. Even if they weren't the ones starting the worst of it, they were certainly part of the riot and making things worse. Even just those who did nothing worse than mill about and watch were making the situation more difficult for police.

There seems to be real anger from the Vancouver residents over this. A real push to see these people caught and punished. Which is great to see. The damage done to the city itself pales in comparison to what was done to the city's reputation.

It's kind of like last year when LA won the NBA Finals and LA rioted for no reason. I have never understood rioting personally, maybe it's when to me drunk people get out of control, maybe they are planned... I just don't know.

I was always raised with the thought "ya you can break little laws where you're gonna pay some fines, but do you really want to do something stupid to take your rights away?"

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I have to say that in my opinion the NHL Playoffs are the best playoffs in all of sports. It seems like no higher seed is safe when it comes to the playoffs. I mean it sucks to see the Bruins go but it was one hell of a series.

Vancouver went out in 5 games and they were the top team in the regular season, which means nothing come playoff time but they were still a favorite to win after last year. I could really care less who wins in the west but man am I looking forward to who emerges from the east.

• 1 month later...

Well the Kings proved once again why playoff hockey is the best. I will admit to not knowing much about hockey, I only watch it during the playoffs. So I was shocked to see the Kings become the first 8th seed to win the Cup.

I wonder if they were the first 8th seed in all of team sports to win it all. I know in baseball there have been Wild Card teams that have been the lowest seeded teams and they have won. However, it is different in the NBA and NHL just for the simple fact that there are more teams in the NBA and NHL playoffs.

Either way it was an impressive feat that the Kings managed to pull off.

Archived