World Championship Wrestling 2002: Rebuilding the Empire

................... AWESOME.

Sean O'Haire, my man has just won the United States Championship! Good on him! Let's see where he goes with this.

I see Ric is still holding a grudge. :rolleyes: Da Man, Goldberg better beat him up, JACKHAMMER!-style.

I was so sure Eddie would win Mayhem, but I guess Lesnar's reign isn't about to end anytime soon. Pity, since Starrcade should have been the perfect placed to end it. Still, between the reign and his character, Lesnar's got ways to go. Even if not Eddie, Rob should have had a shot to dethrone THE NEXT BIG THING.

The Cruiserweights in the heavyweight tag-team division again? Sorry Bp, but that just keeps irking me, hard. And the Triads retain once again, despite a specific storyline or opponent. The tag-team scene being all chaos is both good and bad yo...

So Scott jobs to Brock on his last event in WCW... I'm pretty sure he's going to TNA at the moment, but besides that it was a very poigant moment for both Lesnar and Steiner.

Michaels versus Lesnar, eh? I'm guessing Mr. Wrestlemania is going to make himself a Starrcade moment. ;) Not what I'd hoped for, especially since it's a repeat PPV match, but hey, stuff happens.

Yes, I marked out for Jamie Knoble. Nice honor for him, I'm assuming AJ is moving up?

Last question: Why only 5 matches? No dark matches, no none-title matches, makes me a very sad Hashasheen. :(

I have to admit that I was iffy on a pay per view card with only 5 matches. But really, it was what fit. The Mayhem match went 70 minutes plus had something like 10 minutes of non-wrestling time, plus about 20 minutes worth of angles, and the 3 hour pay per view is over half full. I really didn't want to make the other matches overly short - the Lesnar-Steiner match was the shortest on the card - so it ended up being a card with just 5 matches.

There has been an on-going feud between The Triad, Alpha, and Kronik over the tag team belts. Its been running for months, though it doesn't get tons of attention from me. As for the inclusion of the Jung Dragons, the idea there is to tease the fans with the thought that one of the better cruiserweight tag teams might make the move up to the "heavyweight" tag team ranks. Even if they simply looked really good in the match, it would help them. In this case, they failed miserably and it basically reinforces the differentiation between the cruiserweights and the heavyweights. Its not an uncrossable line, but its not an easy one to cross. When it is crossed, as Rey Mysterio did, its a big deal and a big step.

AJ is not moving up, at least not yet. He will in time but I'm in no rush to elevate him. He's very young and still relatively raw. Styles vs Knoble has been mentioned before as being one of the marquee rivalries of the cruiserweight division and that should continue for awhile yet.

Lesnar vs Michaels looks like the Starrcade main event... but a lot can change through December. It could still end up being RVD... Or Eddie... Or Samoa Joe... Or someone new coming in from outside...

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to admit that I was iffy on a pay per view card with only 5 matches. But really, it was what fit. The Mayhem match went 70 minutes plus had something like 10 minutes of non-wrestling time, plus about 20 minutes worth of angles, and the 3 hour pay per view is over half full. I really didn't want to make the other matches overly short - the Lesnar-Steiner match was the shortest on the card - so it ended up being a card with just 5 matches.
All right, I see your point. But why no dark matches? :p

There has been an on-going feud between The Triad, Alpha, and Kronik over the tag team belts. Its been running for months, though it doesn't get tons of attention from me.
I've noticed it, but I especially am a tag-team fanatic so I enjoy seeing serious feuds between the teams and a bit more airtime then what you give them. :p

As for the inclusion of the Jung Dragons, the idea there is to tease the fans with the thought that one of the better cruiserweight tag teams might make the move up to the "heavyweight" tag team ranks. Even if they simply looked really good in the match, it would help them. In this case, they failed miserably and it basically reinforces the differentiation between the cruiserweights and the heavyweights. Its not an uncrossable line, but its not an easy one to cross. When it is crossed, as Rey Mysterio did, its a big deal and a big step.
I do like the difference you're setting up there actually.

AJ is not moving up, at least not yet. He will in time but I'm in no rush to elevate him. He's very young and still relatively raw. Styles vs Knoble has been mentioned before as being one of the marquee rivalries of the cruiser-weight division and that should continue for awhile yet.
Ah, I forgot about that. Question about the cruiserweights: Do you have La Parka?

Lesnar vs Michaels looks like the Starrcade main event... but a lot can change through December. It could still end up being RVD... Or Eddie... Or Samoa Joe... Or someone new coming in from outside...

That would kinda be weird. Why change it so close to Starrcade, especially since I doubt they're going to win? A second shot for Michaels could be great, even if RVD still hasn't had himself a shot.

As to Sean, is he going Devil's Advocate? Because that would be too sweet.

Finally, I was wondering about ECW, Babes of Sin City, TNA, ROH, and the developmental. How are they all doing? Does ECW do any PPVs? Any talent found in the developmentals? TNA, what are Schiavone and Jarrett up to? How's ROH struggling along?

A lot of people could have won at Mayhem, but I don´t think the Starrcade match will be a Michaels/Lesner rematch mainly because I think he´ll drop the belt. I don´t think dropping it to Michaels after already beating him would have the same effect as a fresh opponent. Maybe somebody will come into the company and quickly get into the hunt. Whatever happens though it´s been such a brilliantly built up ride.

A Lesner/Joe match on ECW would be fantastic. Those two could go 30+ minutes easily so I would have thought it´d be saved for a PPV. It´s not set in stone that he´ll face Joe though yet.

Can´t argue with O´Haire for US Champ. The guy definitely has the potential to get in and around the World title scene at some stage so this is a great step for him.

A little disappointed with Steiner leaving because he´s actually a guilty pleasure of mine, but I can undertsand the reasoning. It´s smart not to push him due to his age and drug history and it can only help things backstage.

Cannot wait to see the Starrcade card, mate. It should be rather special.

Very nice write up to say the least. More chicken wings please.

Glad you enjoyed.

All right, I see your point. But why no dark matches? :p

I've noticed it, but I especially am a tag-team fanatic so I enjoy seeing serious feuds between the teams and a bit more airtime then what you give them. :p

I do like the difference you're setting up there actually.

Ah, I forgot about that. Question about the cruiserweights: Do you have La Parka?

That would kinda be weird. Why change it so close to Starrcade, especially since I doubt they're going to win? A second shot for Michaels could be great, even if RVD still hasn't had himself a shot.

As to Sean, is he going Devil's Advocate? Because that would be too sweet.

Finally, I was wondering about ECW, Babes of Sin City, TNA, ROH, and the developmental. How are they all doing? Does ECW do any PPVs? Any talent found in the developmentals? TNA, what are Schiavone and Jarrett up to? How's ROH struggling along?

I never include dark matches, so I never thought to include them. If I'm not mistaken, I just had a 15-man battle royal for guy who didn't make the show...

Don't have La Parka (aka L.A. Parka) as he's on a written deal with CMLL. Would I sign him if he came available? Honestly, probably not. As entertaining as he was back in the day, I wouldn't want to sign him for the same reason I wouldn't sign Psicosis or Ultimo Dragon, which is that rebuilding the cruiser division from 97-99 really isn't moving WCW forward. It would be fun, but it would run counter to the whole idea I've run with for WCW thus far. The cruiser division will expand, but its going to expand with exciting young new talent.

O'Haire isn't going to the full "devil's advocate" gimmick. The change is inspired by that a bit, but moreso the look and the charisma. The gimmick itself is a bit too gimmicky for this WCW.

I detailed the big happenings in ECW. The brand is completely contained on its weekly TV show. No plans to have them do PPV or have matches on the WCW PPV. If anything, they may begin doing quarterly live TV specials somewhere down the road but once they have expanded the roster a bit more.

I didn't cover the rest because it was a fairly quiet month. Bryan Danielson is still the FTW Global champion and doing very well. BOSC lost their champion when Katarina (aka Nikita aka Katie Lea Burchill) was promoted to ECW. I don't want to say who picked up the title, just so I'm not giving away the ladies who will debut later. ROH and TNA have both been trucking along, putting on monthly shows in the C to C+ range. Not much beyond that, which is why I haven't given them much focus. There were a couple of guys I cut from development as they weren't developing enough for my tastes who I figured would be great for either promotion and they ended up with the likes of HWA and NWA: Wildside.

I to was shocked that Eddie didn't win at Mayhem, but I'm still ok with it being Michaels. I was more surprised that The Horsemen didn't really have a part in the PPV at allm minus the no show when Goldberg was getting attacked.

Alpha - Lance Storm and Mike Awesome - were in the 4-team elimination match for the Tag Team belts. I noted Awesome was involved in a couple of eliminations. Eddie was one of the guy noted as being highlighted in the match. It wasn't the Four Horsmen show, but they acquitted themselves well enough.

A lot of people could have won at Mayhem, but I don´t think the Starrcade match will be a Michaels/Lesner rematch mainly because I think he´ll drop the belt. I don´t think dropping it to Michaels after already beating him would have the same effect as a fresh opponent. Maybe somebody will come into the company and quickly get into the hunt. Whatever happens though it´s been such a brilliantly built up ride.

A Lesner/Joe match on ECW would be fantastic. Those two could go 30+ minutes easily so I would have thought it´d be saved for a PPV. It´s not set in stone that he´ll face Joe though yet.

Can´t argue with O´Haire for US Champ. The guy definitely has the potential to get in and around the World title scene at some stage so this is a great step for him.

A little disappointed with Steiner leaving because he´s actually a guilty pleasure of mine, but I can undertsand the reasoning. It´s smart not to push him due to his age and drug history and it can only help things backstage.

Cannot wait to see the Starrcade card, mate. It should be rather special.

The problem with having a fresh opponent be the one to beat Lesnar is that it brings the element of "luck" into play moreso than someone he's faced before. Having it be an opponent he's beaten before allows it to build off their previous match. I'm not saying which direction I'm going, just that any possible choice had its positives and negatives...

In a way, I held back on O'Haire for too long because he just couldn't do in the ring. He's improved, but he could be in the world title scene already if had pulled the trigger earlier.

I like Steiner, too. It really does feel like stripping away pieces of WCW's history when I let someone like that go, but it also felt like the right move. He's still reliable enough in the game, but in reality, he was so immobile in the ring by then. He would actually make a pretty good color commentator, I think, but he would hardly take that role if he feels he's still capable in the ring. Plus, he can help TNA quite a bit and that was a factor as well.

I never include dark matches, so I never thought to include them. If I'm not mistaken, I just had a 15-man battle royal for guy who didn't make the show...

True, true.

Don't have La Parka (aka L.A. Parka) as he's on a written deal with CMLL. Would I sign him if he came available? Honestly, probably not. As entertaining as he was back in the day, I wouldn't want to sign him for the same reason I wouldn't sign Psicosis or Ultimo Dragon, which is that rebuilding the cruiser division from 97-99 really isn't moving WCW forward. It would be fun, but it would run counter to the whole idea I've run with for WCW thus far. The cruiser division will expand, but its going to expand with exciting young new talent.
Sure, let it. But at the same time, a lot of those cruiserweights could easily go up or build their reputations on those "pieces of WCW history", I think you put it. And they certainly can go better in the ring than Scott Steiner.

O'Haire isn't going to the full "devil's advocate" gimmick. The change is inspired by that a bit, but moreso the look and the charisma. The gimmick itself is a bit too gimmicky for this WCW.
Gimmicky? And here I thought the primarily southern audience would respond especially well to his anti-goverment promo....:p

I detailed the big happenings in ECW. The brand is completely contained on its weekly TV show. No plans to have them do PPV or have matches on the WCW PPV. If anything, they may begin doing quarterly live TV specials somewhere down the road but once they have expanded the roster a bit more.
Fair enough.

I didn't cover the rest because it was a fairly quiet month. Bryan Danielson is still the FTW Global champion and doing very well. BOSC lost their champion when Katarina (aka Nikita aka Katie Lea Burchill) was promoted to ECW. I don't want to say who picked up the title, just so I'm not giving away the ladies who will debut later.
Okay... A question on WCW. You still Cult?

ROH and TNA have both been trucking along, putting on monthly shows in the C to C+ range. Not much beyond that, which is why I haven't given them much focus. There were a couple of guys I cut from development as they weren't developing enough for my tastes who I figured would be great for either promotion and they ended up with the likes of HWA and NWA: Wildside.
I was sorta hoping for who's the champions, some names in their rosters. Sorry if I'm being a bother. :o

True, true.

Sure, let it. But at the same time, a lot of those cruiserweights could easily go up or build their reputations on those "pieces of WCW history", I think you put it. And they certainly can go better in the ring than Scott Steiner.

Gimmicky? And here I thought the primarily southern audience would respond especially well to his anti-goverment promo....:p

Fair enough.

Okay... A question on WCW. You still Cult?

I was sorta hoping for who's the champions, some names in their rosters. Sorry if I'm being a bother. :o

That's true about the cruisers. But I have Jushin Lyger and Juventud Guerrera as part of the division pretty for that reason. I've too often been guilty of allowing the roster to get bloated in most of my TEW games, so I really want to control that.

I actually just hit Global. WCW starts the scenario back at National, though I assume they fell to Cult during the recovery period in mid to late 2001 (can't recall at the moment if Genadi specified that). With the size and coverage of Fox, which carries Nitro, putting on solid shows makes growth really easy. I don't think WCW starts too far from falling back to Cult but I jumped to International within a few months and to Global just recently.

The champions of all the main promotions, aside from the developmental ones, are on the main page. I try to keep it fairly up to date and it is currently completely up to date.

The "top" names in ROH, at least based on push, include James Mariato (ROH champion), Brian Lawler, Ace Steel, Rodrick Strong, Ron Killings, Trent Acid, Tony Mamaluke, and the Maximo boys. A lot of the expected names are under development deals with me or the WWE. I've released a few guys for various reasons but ROH hasn't jumped on them as figured they would.

The top guys on TNA's roster are Jeff Jarrett, Chris Candido, Tempest, Super Crazy, Mike Quakenbush, and Kaos. Like ROH, there is some talent out there who they could snap up but haven't for whatever reason...

That's true about the cruisers. But I have Jushin Lyger and Juventud Guerrera as part of the division pretty for that reason. I've too often been guilty of allowing the roster to get bloated in most of my TEW games, so I really want to control that.
But bloated rosters is a staple of WCW! :p

I actually just hit Global. WCW starts the scenario back at National, though I assume they fell to Cult during the recovery period in mid to late 2001 (can't recall at the moment if Genadi specified that). With the size and coverage of Fox, which carries Nitro, putting on solid shows makes growth really easy. I don't think WCW starts too far from falling back to Cult but I jumped to International within a few months and to Global just recently.
Global are you? Congratulations.

The champions of all the main promotions, aside from the developmental ones, are on the main page. I try to keep it fairly up to date and it is currently completely up to date.
Thanks. :o

The "top" names in ROH, at least based on push, include James Mariato (ROH champion), Brian Lawler, Ace Steel, Rodrick Strong, Ron Killings, Trent Acid, Tony Mamaluke, and the Maximo boys. A lot of the expected names are under development deals with me or the WWE. I've released a few guys for various reasons but ROH hasn't jumped on them as figured they would.
Brian Lawler? ... :eek:

The top guys on TNA's roster are Jeff Jarrett, Chris Candido, Tempest, Super Crazy, Mike Quakenbush, and Kaos. Like ROH, there is some talent out there who they could snap up but haven't for whatever reason...
No clue who Tempest and Quakenbush are, but the rest don't seem too bad for a third-rate promotion.

I wouldn't be thrilled with an HBK vs Lesnar rematch really. Hopefully Lesnar dominates HBK showing how much he has improved.

O'Haire being the new US Champion is great. In my solo game as WCW he is getting really over due to his menace stat.

Your tag division is too chaotic I think.

Jamie Noble is doing a great job I think. Still waiting for the 4 Horseman and Goldberg feud to begin.

Poor RVD. He is getting hosed I think.

Brock on ECW should be interesting.

But bloated rosters is a staple of WCW! :p

Global are you? Congratulations.

Thanks. :o

Brian Lawler? ... :eek:

No clue who Tempest and Quakenbush are, but the rest don't seem too bad for a third-rate promotion.

Bloated rosters are indeed "typical WCW". Actually, its pretty typical of the WWE as well. Just something I wanted to stay away from.

Brian Lawler is decently talented and has a bit of overness. He's actually been at the top of the Hidden Gems list since the start of the game. He doesn't seem like an "ROH worker" but the game really isn't going to recognize that...

Quackenbush is the indy guy who owns Chikara. Tempest is Devon Storm, who played Crowbar in WCW.

Well, I've no particular comment to make, and most of my questions have been answered elsewhere, so take this as a general well done all round! Take this wilderness girls WCW Booking Badge and wear it with pride.

I will most certainly where it with pride. Thanks Boom. Glad you are still reading.

I wouldn't be thrilled with an HBK vs Lesnar rematch really. Hopefully Lesnar dominates HBK showing how much he has improved.

O'Haire being the new US Champion is great. In my solo game as WCW he is getting really over due to his menace stat.

Your tag division is too chaotic I think.

Jamie Noble is doing a great job I think. Still waiting for the 4 Horseman and Goldberg feud to begin.

Poor RVD. He is getting hosed I think.

Brock on ECW should be interesting.

There really isn't much left for fresh challengers for Brock. Not without severely elevating guys out of the lower depths of the card, moving guys from ECW, or bringing in new guys with a strong push out of the gates. Rob Van Dam is really the lone fresh challenger for Lesnar, and there are specific reasons I'm holding back on that one. RVD is playing a very prominent role, so he's not exactly being buried or anything.

The issues between Goldberg and the Horsemen are not done. But I'm not rushing things. TNA always annoys me that they rarely seem to allow things to simmer and build over time - they will rush through a feud that could run for months in a just a couple of weeks. I definitely prefer to let things play out gradually, at least for the most part.

Bloated rosters are indeed "typical WCW". Actually, its pretty typical of the WWE as well. Just something I wanted to stay away from.

Brian Lawler is decently talented and has a bit of overness. He's actually been at the top of the Hidden Gems list since the start of the game. He doesn't seem like an "ROH worker" but the game really isn't going to recognize that...

Quackenbush is the indy guy who owns Chikara. Tempest is Devon Storm, who played Crowbar in WCW.

I will most certainly where it with pride. Thanks Boom. Glad you are still reading.

There really isn't much left for fresh challengers for Brock. Not without severely elevating guys out of the lower depths of the card, moving guys from ECW, or bringing in new guys with a strong push out of the gates. Rob Van Dam is really the lone fresh challenger for Lesnar, and there are specific reasons I'm holding back on that one. RVD is playing a very prominent role, so he's not exactly being buried or anything.

The issues between Goldberg and the Horsemen are not done. But I'm not rushing things. TNA always annoys me that they rarely seem to allow things to simmer and build over time - they will rush through a feud that could run for months in a just a couple of weeks. I definitely prefer to let things play out gradually, at least for the most part.

OMG I completely agree. They rush things in TNA. Ruins a lot of good things they could do.

OMG I completely agree. They rush things in TNA. Ruins a lot of good things they could do.

Its one of the many things that frustrate me with TNA. Not that the WWE is completely free of guilt in this regard, though its not rushing through feuds so much as making them short. Apparently a feud can't go longer than two months anymore....

Just been lurking on this thread, but felt the need to comment. I love that this diary has, in some ways, turned into Booking 101 with just as much expository as actual in-game storytelling. Kudos for making us all think BP!

Glad you are enjoying things.

Yeah, my diaries have a tendency to feature a lot of "off topic" discussion. I love it, since its basically having conversations with my readers. It also gives me a chance to explain some stuff that isn't being highlighted or shown in the narrative itself. I imagine that it can probably get frustrating for readers who have no interest in anything but the narrative, but so long as people take the take to comment or ask questions, I'm going to continue to respond.

Fine. :p

Which is why I went :eek:. They'd boo him out of the building.

Crowbar's the man! I remember him commentating on a match in WCW 2000/01, was pretty funny.

World Championship Wrestling

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WCW/Logos/Small/WCWSmall.jpg

December 2002

December was typically one of the biggest months of year for World Championship Wrestling. With Starrcade being WCW's most important annual event, it made for a key month to end each annum. The intrigue in December of 2002 was not quite high as a year prior, when the stakes were higher and crushing failure just a step away. WCW was in much strong position in December of 2002, but not an unassailable position.... In professional wrestling, there is no such thing...

While the build toward Starrcade was the key focus of the month, so was the Mick Foley-run ECW Warfare, at least at the start of December. The announcement in late November by Foley and WCW Commissioner Ernest Miller had fans talking. The expectation was for Brock Lesnar to face rising star Samoa Joe, the current ECW champion. As the first live episode of ECW Warfare kicked off, Foley talked about who would face Lesnar. And it was not Samoa Joe. Foley's logic was simple - Joe had impressed already and was slated to move to Nitro in the new year. So the ECW Commissioner intended to use the opportunity to let another ECW star shine. He did not name that wrestler, but when the time for the match came, it turned out to be Low Ki.

As the intense ECW favorite climbed into the ring against the monstrous WCW champion, it seemed a patent mismatch. The size difference favored Lesnar more heavily than any opponent he had faced since Rey Mysterio. What looked like it could be a quick squash match for the champion turned out to be anything but. The 180-pound Low Ki was incredibly difficult for Lesnar get his hands on. While Lesnar was very quick for a man of his size, Low Ki was quicker and he used that to his advantage. He battered away at the champion with a series of kicks, pummeling Lesnar's legs, ribs, and midsection. A missile drop kick caught Lesnar square in the face. Blood began to flow almost immediately and the champions nose was clearly broken. It was the first time Brock Lesnar had ever really been injured in a match and the first time he had bled. Joey Styles put the moment over huge on commentary. At the sight of his own blood, Lesnar lost it. For the second time in a week, he went into “Brock Smash” mode... except it was far less effective against Low Ki, who managed to avoid much of the offense from the huge champion and counter some. The small ECW star actually managed a couple of roll up pin attempts, but he didn't come that close to actually winning. The rage of Lesnar eventually won out, but the damage – literally and figuratively – was done. Like RVD before him, Low Ki managed to fight his way out before the champion could deliver his F-5, not once but twice. It was the Death Clutch that eventually put the undersized Low Ki down, although he refused to tap and was simply choked out cold until the referee stopped the match. Paul Heyman looked more relieved than happy when it was all over.

The epic ECW watch with the hard-way broken nose for the champion was just part of the build up to Starrcade. The biggest event of the year was an obvious focus for WCW. The main event was the central focus and week after week, Shawn Michaels cut fantastic promos. He talked about how much it meant to him to earn the respect of the WCW fans and Ric Flair, and about how being the one to defeat Brock Lesnar would give him a place in WCW history forever. HBK talked about learning not just from his previous encounter with Brock Lesnar, but from each match Lesnar had wrestled in WCW. Paul Heyman countered with some high quality promos of his own, downplaying the match against Low Ki and deriding Michaels as a challenger to Brock's throne. Eric Bischoff made a rare appearance, joining Commissioner Miller to announce a new special match for Starrcade. Called Shot at the Top, it was an eight-man ladder match. The object was a briefcase suspended above the ring. Inside the briefcase was an open contract for a title match. Unlike the title shot earned for winning the Mayhem match, the “Open Shot” contract could be “cashed in” without any prior notice. The question of who would participate in the match generated plenty of discussion and Commissioner Cat found himself dealing with weekly requests. The final line up for the match was not quite what most expected.

The Four Horsemen were in the thick of things as usual. After Alpha defeated Kronik on Nitro to again establish themselves as number one contenders, it was announced the Storm and Awesome would face The Triad for the WCW World Tag Team championships at Starrcade. Booker T harassed the Horsemen, apparently hoping to impress the Dangerous Alliance. An open challenge by Booker was accepted, but it left the question of who would face Booker. Goldberg and Flair had words backstage, but things didn't go further at that point. Flair also had words with Arn Anderson, who was still functioning as a “consultant” for the Horsemen. The man long known as “The Enforcer” was not impressed that Flair had not sent the Horsemen in to help Goldberg backstage at Mayhem. It appeared that the two old friends might actually come to blows over the argument, but cooler heads prevailed. It did lead to Anderson removing himself from his role with the Horsemen, however.

Offered a spot in the Shot at the Top, Sting turned it down to instead extend a challenge that had the fans tittering – Sting suggested to his long-time nemesis and friend Ric Flair that they face each other one last time. Flair liked the idea, but wanted to face Booker T. So he suggested that Sting take on Eddie Guerrero instead. Even without much in the way of a feud or build, it was still a match that intrigued many fans.

With 2002 being the twentieth edition of Starrcade, a fair amount of hype was given over to that fact. WCW didn't allow that hype to override the event and matches themselves, however. The main event was given plenty of hype and build. The show started with the brand new Shot at the Top concept match. The eight participants were Rob Van Dam, Goldberg, AJ Styles, Brian Adams, Bryan Clark, Chavo Guerrero, Markus Jindrak, and Hugh Morrus. Goldberg took a big bump early, getting double-teamed off a ladder by the Kronik duo and he was basically done for the match. RVD, Styles, and Jindrak were the ones who came out looking good, but almost everyone outside of Goldberg had their moments. It was a "spotty" match but fun, and after nearly 25 minutes of carnage, Rob Van Dam got to the briefcase after delivering a roundhouse kick to knock Chavo off the top of a second ladder.

The WCW Cruiserweight championship was on the line next, with Jamie Knoble facing Jushin Lyger. The two put on a fantastic fifteen minute display of speed and athleticism. Knoble got the pinfall victory after delivering a Knoble Drop diving leg drop. The defeated Lyger offered his hand to Knoble in a show of respect, much as he had to Styles two months before, but the successful champion spit on the gesture and walked away. The following match was Booker T facing Ric Flair. It was a back and forth match that was more entertainment than action. "The Nature Boy" ended up putting Booker T over and making him look good in the process. The WCW World Tag Team championships changed hands after a fantastic battle between The Triad and Alpha that lasted nearly thirty minutes. The result was as good of tag match as was likely to be seen in all of 2002. A key aspect to the match was the aging veteran Diamond Dallas Page playing the "partner in peril" role as well anyone since Ricky Morton, allowing Kanyon to come in and make the save several times. But the pair of Horsemen were not going to be denied on this night, and DDP was pinned after Alpha's Display of Dominance tandem finisher. There was no amicable show fo respect between these two teams afterward.

For having very little build, the Eddie Guerrero versus Sting match was a virtual show-stealer. It started out as the "friendly" match it had seemed when it was agreed. The competitive nature of both men soon came out and things got serious. Guerrero took on the virtual heel role as he cheated freely throughout the match. Sting looked to have things well in hand when he delivered a huge Sting Splash, but he quickly dropped to the mat - Guerrero had raised a knee and caught Sting in the little Stingers. Guerrero delivered his Barr-inspired Frog Splash and got the clean pinfall. The semi main event was, notably, the United States championship rematch between Sean O'Haire and now-challenger Rey Mysterio. The pair put on another really good match, with Mysterio playing the underdog role to perfection against the much-bigger champion. The challenger just couldn't hang into the advantage for long. O'Haire retained as he defeated the masked luchadore clean, legitimizing his win a month prior.

The main event of Starrcade had received plenty of hype in the month of build. For HBK, the focus had been on proving himself - proving he still had it, that he was worthy, that Flair and the fans should be behind him. For Lesnar, it was about defeating another legend and taking his title reign beyond one year, to a place where few had gone in a long, long time in the wrestling business. With his nose taped up from his meeting with Low Ki, Lesnar looked a touch comical as he intensely stared across the ring at Michaels. As Michael Buffer did the lengthy introductions, the crowd was electrified. When Lesnar and Michaels stepped into the middle of the ring and glared at each other, things were ready to explode. When they did, it was mostly all Lesnar. The champion dominated the opening minutes, focusing on Michaels' back. "The Heartbreak Kid" was not going down that easy and he fought back, lashing at the champions leg with a series of kicks. Then he took the monster down by clipping his right knee, which became an overt focus of attack for Michaels. The match went back and forth, both focusing their attacks and the question became who would break first.... The wily veteran Michaels clearly had a game plan that went further than attacking the knee, however. After about eighteen minutes of battle, he very overtly cracked Lesnar in the face, right on the broken nose. The shot dropped the big man to a knee, and when he rose, he no sold a crossbody from the challenger, obviously switching into the raging "Brock Smash" mode. Michaels began playing keep away, forcing the champion to chase. In his rage, Lesnar was not smart about thing and got repeatedly clipped on his bad knee for it efforts. When Michaels slid outside the ring, the champion made a monumental mistake, leaping over the top rope at the challenger even as Heyman screamed at him not to. HBK saw it coming and dove out of the way, with Lesnar catch the security barrier full in the ribs. He stumbled to his feet, roaring in pain and looking like he should be spitting blood. The war raged on, with the challenger continuing to chip away at the champion, but Lesnar managed to land some of his trademark power offense. As the match moved past thirty minutes, both men were looking ragged and exhausted. Lesnar went for his F-5, only to have Michaels struggle out of it with knees to the side of the champions head. A counter Sweet Chin Music was blocked. A short time later, Lesnar went for his Death Clutch twice, setting it with vicious clubbing blows to the lower back of the challenger. The first time Michaels managed to forward roll out of Lesnar's grasp and the second he gave a nasty mule-kick right to the champions knee. When Lesnar tried again for his F-5 at the thirty-six minute mark, the right knee gave out, and HBK rolled to his feet and delivered his Sweet Chin Music superkick. Lesnar kicked out of the pin attempt, however. A few moments later, he hit a huge spinebuster on the challenger and went for the pin, only for Lesnar to kick out. The near-falls went back and forth, with the crowd buying every one. Heyman got himself superkicked right off the ring apron, but that gave Lesnar a chance to deliver a big suplex that looked like it might enough to keep HBK down. Again, he kicked out. The match almost finished on a good old fashioned bear hug, but HBK used a series of headbutts to the busted and bleeding nose of the champion to get out, and then he rebounded off the ropes to hit Sweet Chin Music again. The champion staggered. Michaels hit it a second time. Lesnar staggered and swayed but stayed on his feet. The third time, Lesnar crashed the mat like a huge felled oak tree. Michaels fell on top and WCW Senior Referee Charles Robinson counted out the three. There was no kickout.

Michaels couldn't even crawl off of the fallen champion without help. After one hundred and ninety-nine victories, Brock Lesnar had tasted defeat. After exactly one year as champion, he had fallen and lost his belt. It had taken everything that a legend could throw at him to do it, and Michaels was nearly broken as well. When he was handed the WCW World Heavyweight championship, his battered back gave out and he slumped to his knees. Shawn Michaels sobbed tears of joy as Paul Heyman admonished a stunned Brock Lesnar. The newly-crowned champion was not left to celebrate alone. Rob Van Dam emerged, followed by Sting, then Goldberg. Then most of the fan favorite side of the WCW roster. They filled the ring and held the triumphant HBK aloft. The fans roared their approval. The roar only got louder as Ric Flair lead the Four Horsemen out onto the stage, "The Nature Boy" smiling and applauding. As "We are the Champions" played, Flair lead his group down to the ring. The show ended as Flair and Michaels embraced, with Flair clearly telling the new champion "You are the man!" Just how much Shawn Michaels had sacrificed for the victory would become clear in time, but for the moment there was simply joy and glory.

While it was seen as an overall success, Starrcade 20 would also bring WCW and Paul Heyman some criticism. Some fans felt there was not enough attention given to the fact that it was the 20th edition of the event. Others were unhappy that Shawn Michaels had been chosen to dethrone the monster "Prototype". There were complaints about Goldberg being used in the Shot at the Top match instead of a singles match. Some complained about a three and a half hour pay per view having just seven matches. Virtually everything happened for a reason, however. Heyman and Bischoff were wary of the "20th Anniversary" hype overshadowing the card itself, so they were careful not to go too heavy. Michaels had been chosen to defeat Heyman for a number of reasons, but the basic reason was that it created a compelling sacrifice and redemption story that put "The Heartbreak Kid" over with the entire WCW fanbase in a way that he otherwise never could have likely achieved. Goldberg was kept out of a singles match because he physically couldn't handle it. It was the same reason he had been removed from the threeway dance match at Mayhem via the storyline beatdown and was barely seen on Nitro through December... the lingering shoulder injury. The same injury that had kept out in early 2001 was still an issue and it was getting worse. The feeling was that Goldberg would have been unable to work a proper singles match at Starrcade... and given what would transpire, that was probably the correct choice. As for the “small” number of matches, all of them were longer matches. The shortest was still a quarter hour long. While the WWE could fit nearly double the number of matches onto a similar-length show, many of those would be 5-8 minute matches, and those kind of short matches just didn't belong on a WCW pay per view anymore.

The match between Brock Lesnar and Low Ki was not the only notable moment on ECW for the month of December. With the announcement that Samoa Joe would be leaving the show sometime in early 2003 to move to Nitro, Raven grew ever more desperate to take back the ECW Championship. The rivals faced each other in subsequent weeks, but Raven could find no way past Samoa Joe. Although it was given scant hype, ECW fans realized the fact that Joe had never been pinned nor submitted through his ECW career. He had lost matches, but never by those means. Although his actual departure date was not clear, it did appear unlikely he would lose the ECW Championship before then. The UK Saints – Nigel McGuiness and Doug Williams with manager Katarina – enjoyed a strong first full month in ECW, scoring an upset win over the veteran tandem of Jerry Lynn and Tommy Dreamer due to the machinations of Katarina. ECW had another debut, as “American Dragon” Bryan Danielson won in his debut against Big Vito. The month ended on a cliffhanger, as the final ECW Warfare closed out with a promo from Commissioner Foley promising a special guest for next week, someone from his past and the past of ECW.

The surprisingly lengthy WWE World title reign of Edge ended after 7 months. Triple H won it back at Armageddon for his sixth world title win. It was a good night for The Kliq as X-Pac won the WWE Intercontinental championship from Christian. If Vince McMahon was looking to assuage the reported backstage tensions, that night was hardly likely to accomplish that. After failing to make a big impact through the first six months of its existence, things began to look brighter for Total Nonstop Action. There were rumors of a lucrative new sponsorship deal, which would be well timed as Tony Schiavone's detailed business plan had apparently under-estimated the expenses associated with running a sizable wrestling promotion. Schiavone and Jarrett had also apparently expected to find more talent available on the open market. As TNA hyped a “big new signing” in December, they apparently found someone they felt could help them. In Ring of Honor, James Mariato dropped the ROH World Championship to Xavier, a change that surprised many fans of the upstart promotion.

As 2002 ended, the world of professional wrestling appeared to be changing. As it always did, the business was evolving. Out of necessity, World Championship Wrestling was undergoing a similar degree of evolution. WCW had entered a new era... for good or for ill...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WCW/PPV/WCW/WCWStarrcade1.jpg

WCW Starrcade 20

RVD d. Goldberg, AJ Styles, Brian Adams, Bryan Clark, Chavo Guerrero, Markus Jindrak, & Hugh Morrus to win Shot at the Top

Jamie Knoble © d. Jushin Lyger for the WCW Cruiserweight Championship

Booker T d. Ric Flair

Alpha d. The Triad © for the WCW World Tag Team Championships

Eddie Guerrero d. Sting

Sean O'Haire © d. Rey Mysterio for the WCW United States Championship

Shawn Michaels d. Brock Lesnar © for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship

SPOILERS

Please read the monthly recap first!

So, the obvious question right now is probably going to be "why Shawn Michaels?"

HBK was my first pick to dethrone the monster Brock from when I started making plans for this project. As I fleshed out plans and began making long-term plans for more of the roster, I ended up looking at the other possibilities for the honor. I am rarely completely married to any idea when planning long-term. The real possibilities included Rob Van Dam, Eddie Guerrero, Goldberg, Rey Mysterio, Sting, Sean O'Haire, and Booker T. After considering all of them and more, no one else felt quite as "right" as HBK did.

I knew that someone finally defeating Lesnar was going to make a star. Or at least legitimize a star. But I wanted it to be about more than that, because making a star isn't that difficult, at least in TEW terms. This would be about making a true draw for WCW. That probably would have been the result whether it was HBK, RVD, Eddie, etc. But making someone into a draw with the victory wasn't enough. It was about having the right story to it.

To me, Michaels winning would be about redemption. Sacrifice and redemption. I think he would have trouble winning over some WCW fans as a pure babyface because of his history - not just the WWE history, but the prima donna attitude, the D-X stuff, the role in the Montreal Screwjob... Perhaps I'm just cynical, but I really think there would be a segment of WCW fans - the hardcores, the loyalists - who would not be happy to see HBK in WCW and who would not accept him willingly. Ric Flair's attitude toward Michaels reflected that. By going through what he did to finally take down the monster, Michaels redeems himself and earns the respect, not just of Flair but of those unaccepting fans as well. It also proves that after the back injury and retirement, that he is truly back and at the top. Its not just about putting everything together to take down Lesnar, but putting everything he has into it. That connected back to the sacrifices that HBK made in rehabbing from his injury. That circular story - the sacrifice and redemption from the injury, the determination to win over the fans, the sacrifices he made in the match to redeem himself by winning... It just felt ideal.

No other story I could come up with for taking down Lesnar felt quite as compelling to me. Legitimizing RVD or Guerrero didn't feel on the same level. Neither did trying to find some type of redemption story for them.

As for Lesnar, I wanted the process of him finally losing to be complex. The way I see it, there are three approaches you can take to bringing down a monster like Lesnar was built into. The first would someone winning through simple luck. While it does little damage to the monster, it doesn't really create a legitimate new champion. The second is to have them come up against some better in some specific aspect. It could be someone better on the mat, like Kurt Angle or maybe Chris Benoit, or someone more powerful, which would leave maybe Big Show. That leaves the monster with a specific weakness going forward, though its not likely to be an easily exploited one. The third approach is the one I used - the challenger putting everything together and exploiting several minor weaknesses to finally make it work. It doesn't damage the monster too much but it creates a legitimate new champion... One who may or may not be able to repeat the feat and the victory.

The idea behind the reign of Lesnar was to build him while putting together the small pieces. The small pieces which would eventually be used to defeat him. I owe Jim credit in helping me put together the sequence of Lesnar's rise and downfall.

A couple of small notes... The Lesnar-Kobashi match was originally supposed to take place in August, at the New Blood Rising pay per view. I made an error in bringing him in on loan in June, so the NOAH wouldn't let me do it again. I ended up switching the main event planned for Halloween Havoc. I was also going have HBK and RVD face off in a match at Halloween Havoc but was honestly afraid it would outshine the main event, so I moved things around and threw the match on a Nitro instead.

Anyway, I figured I would explain my booking choices before people asked and/or questioned them.

World Championship Wrestling

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WCW/Logos/Small/WCWSmall.jpg

December 2002

.... :eek:

*controls himself* All right, to break it down bit by bit.

Low Ki versus Brock Lesnar? Not a bad match by the numbers, but imagining it I just couldn't enjoy. Just didn't seem right.

Money in the Bank has entered WCW. :D RVD has got himself a title-shot and an easy pass to heel express. Sad about Goldberg, you might need to let him go, but at the same time, he's WCW history. :(

Arn is making a stand. Good for him. I always liked him more than Ric anyway! :p

Sting versus Eddie Guerrero. I like the sound of that match, I really do. That would probably have been the main event with the championship on the line if you didn't have Lesnar and Michaels from WWF. :p

I see a feud developing between Knoble and Liger.... :D Can't wait to see how your cruiser-weight version of the Code of Honor goes.

King Bookah goes over the styl'n and profl'n SPACE MOUNTAIN!

30 minute tag match? Damn. :eek: Good to see the Alphas on top again. Always liked them.

Sean O'Haire and Rey Misterio battle once again for one of the greatest honors in the wrestling world today. :cool: And BAI GAWD WHAT A SLOBBERKNOCKER!

Michaels versus Lesnar .... I really can't say anything because I'm too busy raging at you. It's a beautiful moment for Michaels and his entire storyline, and I recognize it's brilliance, but still... Lesnar...:(

Samoa Joe is coming to Nitro? Woah. Who's going to be the man, and beat the man? I'm thinking the American Dragon or Punk is going to step up.

The UK saints are doing good, and that's good to hear. :)

Someone from his past? From ECW's past? It can only mean one thing: The Funker!

When I was reading that I was so hoping for an Anderson/Flair Starrcade match. :D It would have been quality. I do liked how you shifted Guerrero in to face Sting though, it felt like he was truly taking over from Flair given the history between Flair and Sting. Would have been great to see Eddie win with the figure four and pay tribute to Flair and continue to make the transition.

Shawn Michaels is arguably the greatest performer in the history of wrestling and one of my favourites ever. Have to utmost respect for the man so you won't find any arguments from me. I think it would have been difficult to build somebody like RVD or Guerrero to the point where they look like legitimate contenders to the end the streak, whereas with Michaels you already get a ready made star. It helps to shake off his WWF past aswell - giving him that one huge WCW moment. I would have been too early for Joe to do it at Starrcade, Michaels fit and I have to congratulate you on a fantastic and enthralling storyline. Brilliant.

It's going to be interesting to see how you handle Lesner now that he's been beaten. I don't think he can loose many, probably on very rare occasions to keep his image intact.

What's happened to Goldberg then? Has his downfall been TEW related or is this something you had planned before? Nothing you can do if it's the game thats crippling him.

I too was surprised at the thirty minutes given to the tag team match. I would have thought if you had that time spare then an extra five or ten minutes could have been spread around the earlier matches.

Terry Funk coming to WCW? I damn well hope so.

As for my ECW star prediction... How about Sabu! He was in WCW.

Storm and Awesome being tag champs is good. A place I wanted to go in my game but am now firmly behind Jindrak and O'Haire.

O'Haire going over Rey Jr. clean is great. Makes him a credible champion. I can only imagine that Samoa Joe will be the one to finally get that title.

Goldberg is having serious problems with his arm? That is no good. If you are thinking of dropping him then you should give him 1 last minor run. Bleed some of his overness off of him.

Arn leaving the Horseman is whatever to me. He has become nothing more than a name at this point.

RVD is the deserving top shot winner. Don't care for him to take on HBK again though.

Brock will redeem himself! He is a freak!!!

Great stuff. Truly great - you've built a realistic and strong storyline arc and have successfully managed to make the bridge between one Starrcade to the other a natural journey and resolution at 'The Grand-daddy of them all'.

I really, really want to post my predictions as to where this is all headed but I don't want to even subconciously influence or inadvertently ruin any upcoming surprises for anyone!

Great Starrcade. HBK going over was the perfect way to go, and there are now a lot more storyline options open to Brock without the title.

Throw Eddie over Goldberg a few times. I may be the only one on the forums, but I've never cared for Goldberg. I found the goalie from Mighty Ducks more interesting.

Guest cmdrsam

OMG, did not realize you posted a card. Bad me. I watched the monday night wars with the millions of other fans out there. My heart was with WCW but WWF/E had workers on it I enjoyed as well. HBK was one of the workers I would of flipped my lid if he ever showed up on WCW. So I honestly have no quarrels with him having the strap. Maybe even fueding with the horsemen as Flair might on the surface might respect HBK, but deep down, Michaels is the enemy in Flair territory.

Ah, Lo-ki. Brought down the giant. Look to see more from him. I dont think I could ever buy him in being a world champ in a world of monsters, but a very viable threat to say the least.

Arn leaving the horsemen :(. This better be a storyline Or I sir will riot. And you do not want to see cmdrsam rioting. :p Imagine big dick johnson at every show. Nuff said.

Arn leaving the horsemen . This better be a storyline Or I sir will riot. And you do not want to see cmdrsam rioting. Imagine big dick johnson at every show. Nuff said.

Now imagine us both in our poopy pants invading Nitro on a half hourly basis. I hope you know this means war...

Wow, would have loved to have seen Starrcade the way you envisioned it. It was showy enough to be worthy of the name, but grounded enough to be a part of your new WCW.

Oh,oh, Shawn. (Hey, that's almost his theme tune!) I have always been a huge Shawn Micheals fan, which I guess goes almost hand in hand with being a huge WWF/E fan. So I have to admit it does seem strange to see such a WWF stalwart parading around in a WCW ring. Then again, far too much is made about these things. The simple truth is that if somebody is booked correctly, it doesn't matter if they wrestled for the Taliban, they can get over anywhere.

I think we are far more hung up on this than we used to be. I'm perhaps a little young to suggest this with much authority, but I don't think Ric Flair was greeted with apathy when he first joined the WWF. Hulk Hogan certainly did his bit to become the major focus of WCW, and then transitioned back to the WWE when he had to. I think it's more an issue nowadays because it's mostly one way. Former WWE stars turning up in TNA, which often fails to utilise the talent they have. To me, Kurt Angle is still a WWE guy, even though he hasn't been there for years!

Im not sure if I'm making sense anymore. My point was that I approve of Shawn being the man to finish the streak. Whoever you picked was going to run into a little opposition, but I think Shawn offers you the most opportunities both in terms of storylines and stellar matches.

It's great to see the likes of Low-Ki and Joe rising through the ranks. They certainly both have a ECW vibe to their persona's.

A person from Foley's past and ECW's past? Not sure why but the first name in my head was Steve Austin, yet I can't see you bringing him in to ECW. Then I thought Mikey Whipwreck, but he retired (for the first time,) in 2001 right? Ah, it's probably Terry Funk.

Archived