NWA 1989: Tradition Revisited

No one got a perfect score on this one but several people did get 7/8! Congratulations to jhd1, Timber and Ritchardo!

Leader

1. jhd1=7 Wins

Timber=7 Wins

Ritchardo=7 Wins

4. smurphy1014=6 Wins

rjhabeeb=6 Wins

6. nick21985=5 Wins

7. bgbuff=3 Wins

Thanks again to everyone who's predicted so far! The predictions and comments really do help make this diary fun and worthwhile!

And a special thank you to all of the real world picture cutters and designers. They really do help each and every diary look that much more authentic!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWA PRESENTS FALL BRAWL

Wednesday Week 2 September 1989

Samoan Swat Team vs. Road Warriors

NWA World Tag Team Titles Match: The Fabulous Freebirds defend vs. The Steiner Brothers

Norman The Lunatic vs. Flyin' Brian

Buzz Sawyer vs. Ole Anderson

The Skyscrapers vs. The Dynamic Dudes

Mike Rotundo vs. Steve Williams

NWA United States Title Match: Lex Luger defends vs. Ricky Steamboat

Dick Slater and The Great Muta vs. Ric Flair and Sting

NWA World Tag Team Titles Match: The Fabulous Freebirds defend vs. The Steiner Brothers

but not the title this time

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair vs. WWF World Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan

NWA United States Champion Lex Luger vs. WWF Intercontinental Champion The Ultimate Warrior

NWA World Tag Team Champions The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael Hayes and Jimmy Garvin) vs. WWF World Tag Team Champions The Brainbusters (Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard)

NWA: Sting vs. WWF: Andre The Giant

NWA: Terry Funk vs. WWF: Randy Savage

NWA: The Road Warriors (Animal and Hawk) vs. WWF: Demolition (Ax and Smash)

The hardest one for me, but I was always more of a Demolition fan.

NWA: The Skyscrapers (Sid Vicious and Dan Spivey) vs. WWF: The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart)

NWA: Ricky Steamboat vs. WWF: Ted DiBiase

NWA: Bob Orton vs. WWF: Roddy Piper

NWA: The Steiner Brothers (Rick and Scott Steiner) vs. WWF: The Rockers (Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty)

This intrigued me, so here we go. NWA 1989 was a little ahead of my time (although I did have a lot of 89/90 PPVs at one point) so I won't predict until I'm a bit more up-to-date with who was doing what and so on. A dream match poll is good, though - and a nice way of keeping us up to date with what's going on elsewhere:

So I make that a tie. Demands a tie-break, really :p

Thanks for the Dream Match poll there, Mr. Casey. If you have any questions about what's going on with a certain athlete, let me know. I was about 8 years old during this time so it was definitely an interesting time for me as a little kid. As for the tiebreak? Well, there might end up being one depending on how the poll results go.

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair vs. WWF World Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan

NWA United States Champion Lex Luger vs. WWF Intercontinental Champion The Ultimate Warrior

NWA World Tag Team Champions The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael Hayes and Jimmy Garvin) vs. WWF World Tag Team Champions The Brainbusters (Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard)

NWA: The Skyscrapers (Sid Vicious and Dan Spivey) vs. WWF: The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart)

NWA: The Steiner Brothers (Rick and Scott Steiner) vs. WWF: The Rockers (Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty)

but not the title this time

The hardest one for me, but I was always more of a Demolition fan.

Thanks for the dream match polls and the predictions everyone! They are truly, truly appreciated.

NWA United States Title Match: Lex Luger defends vs. Ricky Steamboat- by DQ

NWA PRESENTS FALL BRAWL

Wednesday Week 2 September 1989

Dream Match Poll Results

The results of our dream match poll for September of 1989 are in and the results are very interesting indeed. We are going to go match by match beginning at the bottom and working our way to the top.

The Steiner Brothers=90%

The Rockers=10%

Our experts selected the young brothers tandem to step up and defeat the high flyers. The most likely finish would see Marty Jannetty being caught in a Frankensteiner by Scott Steiner and a pinfall win.

Bob Orton=0%

Roddy Piper=100%

No real shocker here as Orton doesn't step up to match the popularity and drive of the Hot Rod. Piper locks on a Sleeperhold and Orton submits

Ricky Steamboat=80%

Ted DiBiase=20%

One of the bigger shockers of the night as Steamboat garnered 80% of the votes of our experts. The Million Dollar Man will not be pleased with that but he fell victim to the flying cross body press.

The Skyscrapers=20%

The Hart Foundation=80%

The Hart Foundation has been a team longer and that experience edge gives them the win over the brutal Skyscrapers. They manage to hit Spivey with the Hart Attack Clothesline and Bret Hart picks up the pinfall.

Road Warriors=70%

Demolition=30%

A little closer than some may have thought. But the original is always the best, right? Ax falls victim to a Doomsday Device and Hawk makes the pinfall victory.

Terry Funk=20%

Randy Savage=80%

The grizzled veteran Terry Funk only gaining 20% of the vote was a definite surprise here. Randy Savage is building some momentum and he comes away with a pinfall victory following the Flying Elbowdrop.

Sting=60%

Andre The Giant=40%

A definite close match here but Andre is winding his way down while Sting is moving upward in the ranks and it shows here. Somehow the man called Sting manages to get Andre wrapped up in the Scorpion Deathlock and draws a submission out of the 8th wonder of the world.

The Fabulous Freebirds=10%

The Brainbusters=90%

Not a real huge shocker here as even NWA fans would want the Brainbusters back within their ranks. A spiked piledriver on Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin gives Arn Anderson the pinfall win in this battle of tag team champions.

Lex Luger=50%

Ultimate Warrior=50%

This one was too close to call. Both men are heavily muscled. Both men exhibit some cunning and a mix of strength and power moves. This match ends in a double countout as both men are fighting outside the ring and ignoring the ring bell.

Ric Flair=50%

Hulk Hogan=50%

Another one that is too close to call! This is a dream match for anyone watching professional wrestling right now. Ric Flair is a more technical wrestler than Hulk Hogan but Hogan exhibits more power and feeds off the Hulkamaniacs like no other. This match ends in a no contest when all of the NWA and WWF wrestlers come out and brawl to end the show.

NWA=40%

WWF=40%

Draw=20%

The final standings are a bit of a shock given the relative strength of the WWF right now. It looks like the NWA just might be catching on to the company that rules the roost here in the United States.

I have made the decision to bump my show postings from Monday to Saturday. That means that barring r/t exceptions you can expect a show on every Saturday, including this Saturday. Thus I am giving a bit of a 48 hour warning for NWA Fall Brawl here. The following have already made their predictions:

bgbuff

smurphy1014

JudgeJuryExecutioner

nick21985

Thank you to those four and a future thanks to anyone who predicts as well.

<p>Samoan Swat Team vs. <strong>Road Warriors</strong></p><p>

NWA World Tag Team Titles Match: <strong>The Fabulous Freebirds defend </strong>vs. The Steiner Brothers</p><p>

Norman The Lunatic vs. <strong>Flyin' Brian</strong></p><p>

Buzz Sawyer vs. <strong>Ole Anderson</strong></p><p>

<strong>The Skyscrapers</strong> vs. The Dynamic Dudes</p><p>

Mike Rotundo vs. <strong>Steve Williams</strong></p><p>

NWA United States Title Match: Lex Luger defends vs. <strong>Ricky Steamboat</strong></p><p>

Dick Slater and The Great Muta vs. <strong>Ric Flair and Sting</strong></p>

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/fallbrawl.jpg</span><p> <strong><span style="font-size:14px;">NWA FALL BRAWL</span></strong></p><p><strong> </strong><strong><em>Wednesday Week 2 September 1989</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> Location: Philips Arena (South East)</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> Attendance: 15,000</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> Overall Rating: B-</em></strong></p><p><strong><em> PPV Buyrate: .94</em></strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #1</strong></p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/fatu7.jpg</span><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/samu5.jpg</span> w/ <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/paule.jpg</span> vs. <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/hawk3.jpg</span><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/animal3.jpg</span><p> <strong>Samoan Swat Team vs. Road Warriors</strong></p><p> </p><p> <em>[The sounds of 'Iron Man' by Black Sabbath get the crowd going wild to start things off here in the Philips Arena for NWA's Fall Brawl! As soon as the Road Warriors hit the ring, though, the SST attack them! A brawl, a Fall Brawl erupts within the center of the ring between these four athletes. Hawk clotheslines Samu over the top rope! Animal picks up Fatu -- press slam! Fatu rolls out of the ring and the fans cheer Hawk and Animal as they move to the corners and climb up, raising their arms to even louder cheers. They drop back down as Samu and Fatu speak with Paul E. Dangerously on the outside of the ring. Samu enters the ring with Animal. The two men go back and forth and Samu takes the advantage with a couple of well-placed headbutts. He brings Animal over to his corner and tags out to Fatu. He holds Animal open and Fatu climbs to the top turnbuckle -- clothesline by Animal! What a power move! Animal ducks a punch by Samu and clotheslines Samu over the top rope. Animal picks up Fatu and sends him to the ropes -- Powerslam! Animal makes the cover: 1 -- 2 -- Kickout!]</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> [Animal pulls Fatu to his corner and tags out to Hawk. He sends Fatu to the ropes -- flying shoulder tackle by Hawk! Paul E. Dangerously is looking very nervous outside the ring as the Road Warriors have control. Fatu is lifted up and sent into the corner -- corner clothesline! Fatu steps out of the corner and Hawk hits him with a clothesline to the back of the head! Hawk runs over and clotheslines Samu off the apron and then turns to his partner. Animal enters the ring without tagging in. He picks up Fatu and raises him up on his shoulders as Hawk climbs the turnbuckles -- Doomsday Device! Fatu hits the mat and Hawk makes the cover: 1 -- 2 -- 3!]</em></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Winners: The Road Warriors (Via Pinfall @ 10:04)</strong></p><p><strong> Match Rating: B</strong></p><p> </p><p> <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/danspivey2.jpg</span><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/sidvicious3.jpg</span><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/theadorerlong.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> <em>[As soon as the three count is made, Animal is taken down via a clothesline by Sid Vicious! Dan Spivey places a few well-timed stomps on Hawk, picking him up and press slamming the Road Warrior! Sid Vicious tucks Animal between his legs -- Power Bomb! The Road Warriors lay side by side on the mat as Theodore R. Long raises the arms of his Skyscrapers! The Skyscrapers will be in action later on tonight but has anyone done this to the Road Warriors?]</em></p><p></p></div><div style="text-align:center;"></div><div></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/NWA-1.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/MichaelHayes7.jpg</span><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/jimmygarvin.jpg</span></p><div style="text-align:center;"></div><p> </p><p> <em>[A pre-recorded video begins to play showing the NWA World Tag Team Champions The Fabulous Freebirds standing in front of a generic gray background.]</em></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#0000FF;">Michael Hayes</span></strong></p><p><span style="color:#0000FF;"> "Take a good look at thse two guys right here. We're twisted steel and sex appeal. The boys are back in town! Steiner Brothers, you have made the mistake of trying to walk down Badstreet at night. Everyone knows that Badstreet is the baddest place in the neighborhood. This isn't Detroit, Michigan, baby! This is the Fabulous Freebirds!"</span></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#000080;">Jimmy Garvin</span></strong></p><p><span style="color:#000080;"> "That's right, Michael. Many people have tried to take the gold from us but nobody has succeeded and that's not going to happen tonight!"</span></p><p> </p><p> <em>[The Freebirds nod to each other and we head back to the ring.]</em></p><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/NWA-1.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #2</strong></p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/MichaelHayes7.jpg</span><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/jimmygarvin.jpg</span> vs. <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/RickSteiner3.jpg</span><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/ScottSteiner22.jpg</span> w/ <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/missyhyatt.jpg</span></p><div style="text-align:center;"></div><p> <strong>NWA World Tag Team Titles Match</strong></p><p><strong> The Fabulous Freebirds defend vs. The Steiner Brothers</strong></p><p> </p><p> <em>[Now it is time for the NWA World Tag Team titles to be on the line in this match pitting the Champions The Fabulous Freebirds against the challengers The Steiner Brothers. The Steiners made their entrance first and then out came the Champions. This was a decent technical match to begin with between Scott Steiner and Michael Hayes. Hayes is definitely more of a brawler so the technical wrestling worked to Steiner's favor. Scott sent Hayes into the turnbuckle and Hayes bounced out -- waistlock -- overhead belly to belly suplex by Scott Steiner! Jimmy Garvin came running in -- Steinerline by Rick Steiner! The Freebirds exit the ring and Rick gets down on all fours with Scott standing over him in the typical Steiner Brothers pose. Hayes re-entered the ring and tagged out to Jimmy Jam. Jimmy motioned that he wanted Rick Steiner so Scott made the tag.]</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> [Garvin took the advantage with a rake to the eyes and went right to work on Rick Steiner. He brought The Dog Faced Gremlin over to his corner and the Fabulous Freebirds began to work on Rick. The NWA World Tag Team Champions used quick tags in and out to keep Rick down. Garvin nailed Rick with a brainbuster and made the cover: 1 -- 2 -- Garvin was yanked off by Scott Steiner! Scott exited the ring and reached his hand out, wanting a tag. Garvin tagged out to Hayes and Scott Steiner eventually has seen enough. He enters the ring and takes down Jimmy Garvin with a Steinerline! Scott moves over to Michael Hayes and throws heavy handed punches! Steiner and Hayes battle to the outside of the ring. Garvin and Rick Steiner battle inside the ring. Garvin avoids a Steinerline -- Sleeperhold! Rick raises his arms, flailing them about but Garvin has the hold cinched in tight! Rick tries and tries to fight but he is fading out. Rick slumps to the mat and referee Bill Alfonso checks his arm: it drops once -- twice -- three times! This match is over!]</em></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Winners: The Fabulous Freebirds (Via Submission @ 18:02; The Fabulous Freebirds retain the NWA World Tag Team titles)</strong></p><p><strong> Match Rating: B</strong></p><p> </p><p> <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/woman3.jpg</span><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/ronsimmons4.jpg</span><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/butchreed2.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> <em>[As Garvin releases the hold, Robin Green begins leading two men down to the ring. Just who are these two men? This must be Doom! Ron Simmons and Butch Reed attack Scott Steiner outside the ring. Vertical suplex by Ron on Scott Steiner to the thin blue mats outside the ring! Butch Reed and Ron Simmons enter the ring -- press slam by Simmons on Rick Steiner! Robin Green stands between the two men and raises their arms! The crowd boos! Doom is here!]</em></p><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/NWA-1.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #3</strong></p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/mikeshaw2.jpg</span> w/ <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/theadorerlong.jpg</span> vs. <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/brianpillman.jpg</span></p><div style="text-align:center;"></div><p> <strong>Norman The Lunatic vs. Flyin' Brian</strong></p><p> </p><p> <em>[Teddy Long escorted Norman The Lunatic out to the ring. Of course Teddy is wearing the giant key around his neck, signifying that he can take Norman back to the insane asylum any time he wants to. This match was, honestly, not very good. The crowd seemed to die midway through the battle. Brian went for a crucifix but Norman dropped him to the mat with a fallaway slam. These two had no chemistry in the ring whatsoever and fans were happy when Norman hit Brian with the Seated Senton Splash and the referee made the 1 -- 2 -- 3 count!]</em></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Winner: Norman The Lunatic (Via Pinfall @ 9:39)</strong></p><p><strong> Match Rating: D+</strong></p><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/NWA-1.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/garyhart.jpg</span><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/dickslater.jpg</span><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/greatmuta.jpg</span></p><div style="text-align:center;"></div><p> </p><p> <em>[The crowd raises in genuine boos as Gary Hart leads out one of the two teams who will be in the main event tonight here at Fall Brawl: Dick Slater and The Great Muta. Gary walks over to the where the commentators are standing and takes a microphone.]</em></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#0000FF;">Gary Hart</span></strong></p><p><span style="color:#0000FF;"> "Jim Ross, James E. Cornette, I know that you all feel priviledged to have the true Playboy of wrestling out here to speak but keep your mouths shut and your ears open because I have something to say. We all know that Terry Funk got injured in his match with Ric Flair at the Great American Bash. That goes without saying but I'm going to say it anyway because it's my right. Ric Flair, you are nothing but a low-down dirty cheat. Tonight, you are going to get what's coming to you. I have one of the toughest men to walk into this business: 'Dirty' Dick Slater and the Pearl of the Orient The Great Muta to make sure that you pay for what you've done to Terry Funk. Sting, you have basically stepped into the wrong place at the wrong time. Muta here is going to make sure you don't get in our way. Now, that's all you deserve of our time here so Muta, Slater, you guys head to the back and watch Buzz take care of business."</span></p><p> </p><p> <em>[Muta bows and Slater nods and both men head to the back while Gary Hart walks to the ring.]</em></p><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/NWA-1.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #4</strong></p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/buzzsawyer.jpg</span> w/ <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/garyhart.jpg</span> vs. <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/oleanderson.jpg</span></p><div style="text-align:center;"></div><p> <strong>Buzz Sawyer vs. Ole Anderson</strong></p><p> </p><p> <em>[Another match that the fans didn't seem to care all that much for on this card. Of course Gary Hart has been feuding with Ric Flair and Sting and this is the J-Tex Corporation versus the Horsemen. This match was a definite brawl from start to finish both inside the ring and outside the ring. There were no drop toeholds or rear chinlocks. It was best man survives in this match. Ole shot Buzz off to the ropes and went for the Gourdbuster but Buzz managed to avoid being grabbed! Buzz kicked Ole in the gut and went for the Piledriver but Ole wouldn't go for that one. Finally the fighting spilled outside the ring and the referee had no alternative but to count both men out.]</em></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Winner: Draw (Via Double Countout @ 8:48)</strong></p><p><strong> Match Rating: D+</strong></p><p> </p><p> <em>[but just because the bell sounded that didn't mean that the fighting ended. Ole and Buzz continued to slug it out with one another right up the entrance. Ole sent Buzz through the curtain and followed him through, disappearing to the back where we are told security was standing by to seperate these two tough proud wrestlers.]</em></p><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/NWA-1.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #5</strong></p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/danspivey2.jpg</span><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/sidvicious3.jpg</span> w/ <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/theadorerlong.jpg</span> vs. <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/johnnyace.jpg</span><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/ShaneDouglas3.jpg</span></p><div style="text-align:center;"></div><p> <strong>The Skyscrapers vs. The Dynamic Dudes</strong></p><p> </p><p> <em>[The fans got a little more into this matchup as they were still angry at the Skyscrapers for their attack on the Road Warriors earlier on. The Dynamic Dudes tried to use their speed to their advantage and it worked for a few minutes early on as Douglas got a near fall with a flying body press on Dan Spivey! Johnny Ace came in and got brought back into the corner by the Skyscrapers and double-teamed. Sid Vicious brought Ace down with a massive Choke Slam. Then if that wasn't enough he tucked Ace between his legs and then lifted him up as Spivey entered the ring -- Double Power Bomb! Ace's body convulses on the mat as pain must be shooting right through him. Sid makes the cover: 1 -- 2 -- 3!]</em></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Winners: The Skyscrapers (Via Pinfall @ 10:25)</strong></p><p><strong> Match Rating: C+</strong></p><p> </p><p> <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/hawk3.jpg</span><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/animal3.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> <em>[it's the Road Warriors! Hawk and Animal both have messed up face paint but they hit the ring and attack Sid Vicious and Dan Spivey! Sid and Dan throw blows right back to them! Animal is matched up with Sid, while Hawk is paired with Spivey. Theodore R. Long jumps in the ring and onto Animal's back. Animal swings him around but Long rakes his eyes -- big boot from Sid! Sid moves over to help Spivey and the undefeated Skyscrapers exit the ring with Long. They back up the ramp staring at the Road Warriors. These two teams will be meeting sometime inside a legal manner in the ring.]</em></p><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/NWA-1.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/eddiegilbert-1.jpg</span></p><div style="text-align:center;"></div><p> </p><p> <em>[The crowd gets a little pumped as 'Hot Stuff' Eddie Gilbert comes walking from the back presumably to give an interview here since he is not scheduled to wrestle. He gets over by the commentators when he is clotheslined from behind!]</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/cactusjack3.jpg</span></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> [it's Cactus Jack! These two met last Saturday on World Championship Wrestling and the fighting is continuing! Cactus rams Eddie's head against the guardrail and he's dragging Gilbert down toward the ring. About halfway down, Gilbert throws some elbow shots to Cactus's midsection. Gilbert throws punches, getting the crowd into it as they battle all the way down to the ring. Gilbert smashes Cactus head-first into the apron! Cactus rolls inside the ring and Gilbert follows him in. The fun police come running down to the ring to get these two seperated. But this heated rivalry is far from over!]</em></p><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/NWA-1.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #6</strong></p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/mikerotundo.jpg</span> vs. <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/SteveWilliams2.jpg</span></p><div style="text-align:center;"></div><p> <strong>Mike Rotundo vs. Steve Williams</strong></p><p> </p><p> <em>[The last few matches have focused all on the brawling aspects but this match was definitely more technically suited between Rotundo and Williams as they try to prove which college is superior. Dr. Death was off his game during the match and it rattled Rotundo a little bit in the process. The contest was a true back and forth encounter that didn't show a first punch until about five minutes through the match when Rotundo grew frustrated of Williams always reversing his moves. Rotundo started to bring the more professional wrestling aspects of the match into play, such as tying up Williams in the ropes and throwing punches and kicks and a few slaps in there for good measure. This served to anger Dr. Death into a comeback as he got out of an Airplane Spin attempt by Rotundo.]</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> [Williams shoved Rotundo into the corner and then caught him around the waist -- German Suplex with authority! Rotundo was folded up like an accordian! Williams picked up Rotundo and showed some awesome power and strength in a full nelson slam! Williams made the cover: 1 -- 2 -- Kickout! Rotundo wasn't done after the full nelson slam, showing a definite resiliency in him. Williams picked up Rotundo and raised him on his shoulder. He's looking for the Oklahoma Stampede! Williams runs toward a turnbuckle but Rotundo slips out! Williams hits the turnbuckle chest-first and Rotundo rolls him up: 1 -- 2 -- Rotundo puts his feet on the ropes -- 3! The referee didn't see Rotundo's feet and Rotundo quickly exits the ring and heads to the back before either Williams or the referee can figure out what happened.]</em></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Winner: Mike Rotundo (Via Pinfall @ 18:30)</strong></p><p><strong> Match Rating: B-</strong></p><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/NWA-1.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/ricflairc.jpg</span><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/sting4.jpg</span></p><div style="text-align:center;"></div><p> </p><p> <em>[The crowd begin to stand on their feet and fill the arena with the sounds of 'Whoooooo's' and 'Owwwww's' as the theme to 2001 begins to play. Ric Flair steps out in his blue sequined robe while Sting has on his scorpion tights and no shirt. Ric and Sting walk over to the commentators area where they are given a microphone.]</em></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#0000FF;">Ric Flair</span></strong></p><p><span style="color:#0000FF;"> "Atlanta, Georgia, I'm sure you want to know what's causing all this! Whoooooo! Tonight, you are in for a treat as two of the best wrestlers will be on one side of the ring teaming together to take on that J-Tex Corporation. Dick Slater, I'm gonna leave the Great Muta to my friend here, and you're going to be the man that I focus on here tonight. Tricky Dick, you need to take a good long look in that mirror before you walk that aisle tonight. Do you really think that you can hang in the ring with Ric Flair and the Stinger? I know you can't. Whooooo! Tonight, ladies, space mountain is going to be available and you can ride it all night long as long as you are 18 years of age or over. Stinger, take it away!"</span></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#000080;">Sting</span></strong></p><p><span style="color:#000080;"> "I think you said a mouthful there, Nature Boy. I'm not the kind of guy who likes to mince words with anyone. I'm right here and tonight, Muta, Slater I'm going to be in the ring beside the man called Slick Ric. And if Gary Hart wants to get involved then we'll see to it that he's not called the Playboy anymore."</span></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="color:#0000FF;">Ric Flair</span></strong></p><p><span style="color:#0000FF;"> "That's right, Stinger! Oh and Terry Funk make sure you get my get well soon card. If you interfere in this match tonight in any way, shape or form I'll break your other leg! Whooooo!"</span></p><p> </p><p> <em>[Ric and Sting head to the back and it's time for our semi main event contest of the evening.]</em></p><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/NWA-1.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #7</strong></p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/luger.jpg</span> vs. <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/rickysteamboat2.jpg</span></p><div style="text-align:center;"></div><p> <strong>NWA United States Title Match</strong></p><p><strong> Lex Luger defends vs. Ricky Steamboat</strong></p><p> </p><p> <em>[This match is a rematch from the Great American Bash pay-per-view last month where Lex Luger won the match by disqualification when Ricky Steamboat grew frustrated and hit Luger with a chair. The first few minutes of this bout saw a lot of stalling by Luger. He would flex and then use the ropes to keep the Dragon back from him. This stall tactic worked to Luger's advantage as he was able to rake the eyes of the Dragon when the referee was pulling Steamboat back and gain the advantage. Luger pushed Steamboat back into a corner and peppered him with rights and lefts to the chest and then a european uppercut. Luger tucked Steamboat in -- vertical suplex! Steamboat grabbed his back and grimmaced in pain as the Total Package flexed to boos from the crowd. Luger moved back over to Steamboat and raised him up -- dropped him throat-first on the top rope! Steamboat slumps down to the mat and Luger maintains the advantage for the next several minutes, using a good and slow methodical pace on The Dragon.]</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> [Luger sent Steamboat through the ropes to the outside and then followed him out. He choked Steamboat on the guardrail and then whipped him toward the stairs -- reversed! Luger hit back-first against the steps and Steamboat rolled back in the ring, breaking the ten count of referee Nick Patrick. Luger came back inside the ring and Steamboat went on the offensive, sending Luger in a corner and firing away with several chop variations before taking Luger over with a snapmare takedown. Steamboat backed up and took Luger down with a rolling neck snap, making the cover: 1 -- 2 -- Kickout! Luger barely kicked out before that three count was to be made! Steamboat pulled Luger up and sent him to the ropes -- Steamboat bounced off the opposite ropes -- clothesline by Luger! Steamboat flipped inside out and landed on the mat with a thud! Definitely not what the Dragon had planned for that move! Luger rolled Steamboat onto his back and made the cover, hooking the leg:]</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> [...1...</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> ...2...</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> ...Shoulder Up!...]</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> [The crowd cheered wildly when The Dragon got his right shoulder up! Luger looked frustrated quickly. Luger pulled Steamboat to his feet and sent him to the ropes -- Power Slam! Luger rose to his feet and called for the Human Torture Rack! If he hits this, then it's all over, folks! Luger pulled Steamboat to his feet and he raised the Dragon up but Steamboat squirmed out of the Rack before Luger could get his hands set. Steamboat rolled up Luger in a sunset flip:]</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> [...1...</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> ...2...</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> ...Kickout!...]</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> [both men got to their feet and Steamboat ducked a clothesline attempt by Luger! Steamboat laced into Luger's chest with a chop! The crowd is standing and yelling with each chop that Steamboat sends into Luger's chest! Steamboat sends Luger to the ropes -- dropkick! Luger falls back onto the mat and Steamboat heads outside the ring and begins to ascend the turnbuckles! Steamboat waits for Luger to get to his feet. Luger turns -- Flying Body Press! Steamboat hooks the leg:]</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> [...1...</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> ...2...</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> ...3!...]</em></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Winner: Ricky Steamboat (Via Pinfall @ 17:51; Ricky Steamboat wins the NWA United States title)</strong></p><p><strong> Match Rating: B-</strong></p><p> </p><p> <em>[Ricky Steamboat has done it! He is the NEW United States Champion! Referee Nick Patrick raises his arm and then hands him the belt! Steamboat climbs the turnbuckles and raises it up for all of his fans to see! The crowd is going absolutely wild for this victory by a man who was so very close to leaving the NWA! And, just think, we still have our main event to go!]</em></p><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/NWA-1.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Match #8</strong></p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/dickslater.jpg</span><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/greatmuta.jpg</span> w/ <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/garyhart.jpg</span> vs. <span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/ricflairc.jpg</span><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/sting4.jpg</span></p><div style="text-align:center;"></div><p> <strong>Dick Slater and The Great Muta vs. Ric Flair and Sting</strong></p><p> </p><p> <em>[And it's time for the main event here at NWA's Fall Brawl and it's a great one between four top wrestlers. Gary Hart accompanied Dick Slater and The Great Muta down to the ring to boos from the crowd. Ric Flair and Sting had seperate entrances. Sting came out to the ring last and got a huge ovation from the crowd. When he hit the ring, he released an 'Owwwwww!' that was echoed by the crowd. As the match began, it was Dick Slater and Sting inside the ring. Sting backed Slater into a corner with referee Tommy Young looking for a clean break. Sting gave one but Slater shoved the Stinger! Sting came flying back in with punches to cheers from the crowd! Slater tried to cover up with his arms but Sting was relentless. Slater dropped to the mat and rolled outside the ring, speaking with Gary Hart and trying to recover from that quick assault. Slater leaned in the ring a few times to break the count before finally re-entering the ring. Sting approached him and Slater took down Sting with a standing clothesline! Slater picked up Sting and drove three straight knees to the head and then he went up and down in a vertical suplex. Slater made the cover: 1 -- 2 -- Kickout!]</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> [slater pulled Sting over into his corner and tagged out to The Great Muta. Muta caught Sting with several straight kicks to the ribs and then a spin kick that brought the Stinger down to the mat. Flair looked across and extended his hand but Muta kept Sting out of that corner. Muta whipped Sting into the turnbuckles -- reversed! Muta hit the corner and bounced out -- Sting ducked a kick -- trips Muta to the mat! Sting moves over quickly and tags out to Ric Flair. Flair steps in and pulls Muta into a neutral corner -- Whoooo -- there come the chops to the chest! Flair throws a knee to the ribs and then grabs the knee of Muta, lifting him up -- shinbreaker! Muta falls to the mat and Flair does a little strut but pauses when he sees someone walking down the aisle.]</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/terryfunk2.jpg</span></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> [it's Terry Funk! Well, Funk is limping down the aisle with crutches. Funk moves down to ringside and talks with Gary Hart, distracting Flair long enough for Muta to tag out. Flair ducks a clothesline from Slater and kicks him in the gut. He hooks a front facelock -- Slater reverses the suplex attempt! Flair holds his back and rolls but falls outside the ring. Slater gets the attention of the referee and Gary Hart throws a few boots to the back of Flair! Sting comes around and The Great Muta drops down. The two face painted wrestlers confront each other -- Asian Mist! Sting took the mist right in the eyes! He's blinded! Gary Hart throws Flair back in the ring and Slater makes a cover:]</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> [...1...</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> ...2...</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> ...Kickout!...]</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> [slater pulls Flair up and chokes him on the ropes. He bounces off and comes crash landing down on Flair! Slater tags out to Muta and Muta pulls Flair to his feet -- karate kick to the head! Flair drops down face-first! Muta poses for a moment and then yanks Flair back up and whips him toward the turnbuckle -- Flair flips up and over the turnbuckles! Flair runs across and climbs in the corner -- kick by Muta and Flair falls off the turnbuckles. Muta ascends the turnbuckles himself -- Moonsault! It connects! Muta goes into the cover:]</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> [...1...</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> ...2...</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> ...Sting Breaks It Up!...]</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> [We came very close to seeing Ric Flair getting pinned there! Flair is pulled to his feet and whipped into the turnbuckles. Muta comes charging in -- Handspring Elbow -- Missed! Flair moved at the last second and Muta hit the turnbuckle instead. Flair laces the chest of the Great Muta with chops! He sends Muta to the ropes -- double clothesline! Both men lay on the mat and both men begin crawling toward their corners. Muta reaches Slater first. Slater comes rushing in to cut off Flair -- tag to Sting! Sting comes in throwing haymakers! Sting throws a discus punch to the Great Muta! Ric Flair comes in and Sting very nearly hits him! Sting stops at the last moment and he and Flair turn their attention to Slater and Muta. Sting with a clothesline on Muta! Flair trips Slater and grabs him by the legs -- Terry Funk enters the ring! Terry Funk enters and hits Ric Flair in the back with a crutch right in front of the referee! Terry wasn't injured after all!]</em></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Winners: Ric Flair and Sting (Via Disqualification @ 34:35)</strong></p><p><strong> Match Rating: B+</strong></p><p> </p><p> <em>[The crowd boos as Terry Funk puts the boots to Ric Flair and then turns to help Muta with Sting. Funk sets up Sting for the Texas Piledriver.]</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/oleanderson.jpg</span></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> [And out from the back comes Ole Anderson! Ole rushes to the ring and slides inside. He looks toward Sting and then pulls Ric Flair out of the ring! Texas Piledriver by Terry Funk on Sting! Ole and Ric begin to argue as The Great Muta ascends the turnbuckles. Ric pulls away from Ole and grabs Sting, pulling his friend to safety and away from the clutches of The J-Tex Corporation! This war is definitely not over! We'll see you Saturday for World Championship Wrestling!]</em></p><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote></div><p></p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-family:ARIAL;">No one got a perfect score but we did have one person score 6/8 as our highest. Congratulations to JudgeJuryExecutioner!</span></p><p><span style="font-family:ARIAL;"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:ARIAL;"> </span><span style="font-family:ARIAL;"><strong>Leader</strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:ARIAL;"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:ARIAL;"> </span><span style="font-family:ARIAL;"><strong>1. jhd1=12 Wins</strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:ARIAL;"> 2. smurphy1014=11 Wins</span></p><p><span style="font-family:ARIAL;"> 3. nick21985=10 Wins</span></p><p><span style="font-family:ARIAL;"> 4. Timber=7 Wins</span></p><p><span style="font-family:ARIAL;"> Ritchardo=7 Wins</span></p><p><span style="font-family:ARIAL;"> bgbuff=7 Wins</span></p><p><span style="font-family:ARIAL;"> 7. rjhabeeb=6 Wins</span></p><p><span style="font-family:ARIAL;"> JudgeJuryExecutioner=6 Wins</span></p><p><span style="font-family:ARIAL;"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:ARIAL;"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:ARIAL;"> Thanks again to everyone who's predicted so far! The predictions and comments really do help make this diary fun and worthwhile!</span></p><p><span style="font-family:ARIAL;"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:ARIAL;"> And a special thank you to all of the real world picture cutters and designers. They really do help each and every diary look that much more authentic!</span></p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> ...</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">NWA WORLDWIDE*</span></em></strong></p><p><strong><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;"> Saturday Week 2 September 1989</span></em></strong></p><p> </p><p> <span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em>NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Dick Murdoch vs. Z-Man</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Scott Hall vs. Ranger Ross</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Steve Williams</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> </em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> *NOTE: NWA Worldwide predictions WILL count toward the prediction contest. However, it will not be given a full writeup as it is a B-Show.</em></strong></span></p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING</span></em></strong></p><p><strong><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;"> Saturday Week 2 September 1989</span></em></strong></p><p> </p><p> <span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em>NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Al Perez vs. 'Hotstuff' Eddie Gilbert</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Mike Rotundo vs. Flyin' Brian</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Scott Hall vs. Mystery Contestant</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Terry Funk vs. Junkyard Dog</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> NWA World Heavyweight Title Match: Ric Flair defends vs. 'Cowboy' Bob Orton</em></strong></span></p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> ...</p>

<p>NWA WORLDWIDE*</p><p>

Saturday Week 2 September 1989</p><p> </p><p>

NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Dick Murdoch vs. <strong>Z-Man</strong></p><p>

<em>Z-Man was getting pushed in your last diary so maybe he gets one here as well</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Scott Hall</strong> vs. Ranger Ross</p><p>

<em>Hall is in TV title tournament, Ross isn´t</em></p><p> </p><p>

NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: <strong>Bam Bam Bigelow</strong> vs. Steve Williams</p><p>

<em>Really hard one here but I like Bam Bam more.</em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING</p><p>

NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Al Perez vs. <strong>'Hotstuff' Eddie Gilbert</strong></p><p>

<em>I don´t have much knowledge about wrestling in 1989 so I really don´t know who Perez was hence Gilbert gets my vote.</em></p><p> </p><p>

NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: <strong>Mike Rotundo </strong>vs. Flyin' Brian</p><p>

<em>No real idea here either so just going with Rotundo based on what happened in lst show.</em></p><p> </p><p>

NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Scott Hall vs. <strong>Mystery Contestant</strong></p><p>

<em>Mystery guys usually win and if I remember right Hall wasn´t a big name at this time.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Terry Funk</strong> vs. Junkyard Dog</p><p>

<em>Funk is more important and seems to be in feud with Flair</em></p><p> </p><p>

NWA World Heavyweight Title Match: <strong>Ric Flair</strong> defends vs. 'Cowboy' Bob Orton</p><p>

<em>Flair isn´t losing his belt to anyone until he has faced Funk.</em></p>

<p>Nice to see this floating along again!</p><p> </p><p>

NWA WORLDWIDE*</p><p>

NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Dick Murdoch vs. <em>Z-Man</em></p><p>

<em>Scott Hall</em> vs. Ranger Ross</p><p>

NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: <em>Bam Bam Bigelow</em> vs. Steve Williams</p><p> </p><p>

NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Al Perez vs. <em>'Hotstuff' Eddie Gilbert</em></p><p>

NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Mike Rotundo vs. <em>Flyin' Brian</em></p><p>

NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Scott Hall vs. <em>Mystery Contestant</em></p><p>

<em>Terry Funk</em> vs. Junkyard Dog</p><p>

NWA World Heavyweight Title Match: <em>Ric Flair</em> defends vs. 'Cowboy' Bob Orton</p>

<p>NWA WORLDWIDE*</p><p>

NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Dick Murdoch vs. <strong>Z-Man</strong></p><p>

<strong>Scott Hall </strong>vs. Ranger Ross</p><p>

NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: <strong>Bam Bam Bigelow</strong> vs. Steve Williams</p><p> </p><p>

*NOTE: NWA Worldwide predictions WILL count toward the prediction contest. However, it will not be given a full writeup as it is a B-Show. </p><p> </p><p>

Quote:</p><p>

NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Al Perez vs.<strong> 'Hotstuff' Eddie Gilbert</strong></p><p>

NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Mike Rotundo vs. <strong>Flyin' Brian</strong></p><p>

NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Scott Hall vs. <strong>Mystery Contestant</strong></p><p>

NWA World Heavyweight Title Match: <strong>Ric Flair</strong> defends vs. 'Cowboy' Bob Orton</p>

<p>Forgot to post last week - Nice Fall Brawl, keeping it very close to what actually happened with a few tweaks here and there, makes sense it was a creatively excellent period for NWA although it was at this point that the wheels began to fall off...</p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">NWA Worldwide</span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<em><span style="font-size:10px;">Both new signings but logic dictates that the younger Z-Man has more to offer in the long term. Sadly.</span></em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Scott Hall</strong> vs. Ranger Ross</p><p>

<em><span style="font-size:10px;">Hall is virtually worthless at this point. There's nothing virtual about Ranger Ross...</span></em></p><p> </p><p>

NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Bam Bam Bigelow vs. <strong>Steve Williams</strong></p><p>

<em>Tough one to call but Dr. Death is on a permanent contract and Bam Bam isn't. See the Hotstuff guess as well for more details... the only reason I'm not backing Bam Bam to be the 'shock' win is that it's on the B-show</em></p><p> </p><p>

NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: <strong>Al Perez</strong> vs.'Hotstuff' Eddie Gilbert</p><p>

<em><span style="font-size:10px;">This is a purely tactical vote. I'm guessing at the format but I imagine that Muta & Sting will get byes into the last eight along with the winners of the five matches here and another next week (presumably Cactus...). The normal order of things would require 4 faces and 4 heels to be in the last 8. The 'shock' loss would have to happen on the main show and be part of a feud - I am therefore inclined to plump for Hotstuff taking the losss and being temporarily sidelined by a rampant Cactus Jack. Perez also offers a virtual squash for someone in the last 8...</span></em></p><p> </p><p>

NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: <strong>Mike Rotundo</strong> vs. Flyin' Brian</p><p>

<em><span style="font-size:10px;">I love Pillman but he's still a rookie here and Rotundo is a ring general involved in a feud who could do wonders in putting someone over in the final.</span></em></p><p> </p><p>

<em><span style="font-size:10px;">Everyone loves a good mystery and Scott Hall is taking the fall here against the surprise opponent.</span></em></p><p> </p><p>

<em><span style="font-size:10px;">JYDJTTS looks at the arena lights again!</span></em></p><p> </p><p>

NWA World Heavyweight Title Match: <strong>Ric Flair</strong> defends vs. 'Cowboy' Bob Orton</p><p>

<em><span style="font-size:10px;">If Orton wins the title I'll eat his hat. And cast.</span></em></p><p> </p><p>

Sign of the Week: "LOD will demolish the Skyscrapers!"</p>

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>ARENA REPORTS</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div style="text-align:center;"><div><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em>WWF SUPERSTARS RESULTS</em></strong></span><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> </em></strong></span><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Saturday, Week 1, September 1989</span></em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> The Rockers and Brutus Beefcake defeated Boris Zhukov, The Brooklyn Brawler and Nikolai Volkoff...C</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> ANGLE: Brawl involving The Ultimate Warrior and Million Dollar Man...A</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Power & Glory defeated Canadian Power House...C+</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> ANGLE: Confrontation involving Hulk Hogan and Macho Man...A*</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Million Dollar Man defeated Jake 'The Snake' Roberts...B</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Andre The Giant defeated Hulk Hogan...B</em></strong></span></p><p></p></div></div><div></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em>AWA ALL STAR WRESTLING RESULTS</em></strong></span></p></div><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> </em></strong></span><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Monday, Week 2, September 1989</span></em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Hector Guerrero defeated Greg Gagne...D</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Mike George defeated Kokina Maximus...D-</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> ANGLE: Backstage segment with Jimmy Snuka and Harley Race...D+</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Kevin Kelly and Jake Milliman defeated Jerry Lynn and Mando Guerrero...D</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> ANGLE: Skit involving Wahoo McDaniel and Ox Baker...C-</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> The Lumberjacks defeated The Top Guns...D+</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> ANGLE: Brawl involving Greg Gagne and Larry Zbyszko...C-</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Destruction Crew defeated Badd Company...D-</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Larry Zbyszko and Jimmy Snuka defeated Wahoo McDaniel and Baron Von Raschke...C</em></strong></span></p><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em>AWA BREAK OR BE BROKEN RESULTS</em></strong></span></p></div><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> </em></strong></span><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Tuesday, Week 2, September 1989</span></em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> The Top Guns defeated Del Wilkes and DJ Peterson...D-</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Wahoo McDaniel defeated Mando Guerrero...C</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Kokina Maximus defeated Mike George...D-</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Jake Milliman defeated Jerry Lynn...D</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> ANGLE: Skit involving Jimmy Snuka and Harley Race...C-</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Buck Zumhofe defeated Kevin Kelly...D+</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Col. DeBeers defeated Curtis Hughes...D+</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Greg Gagne went to a double DQ with Mean Mike Enos...C-</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> ANGLE: Backstage segment with Sgt. Slaughter and Wahoo McDaniel...C+</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Baron Von Raschke and Jimmy Snuka defeated Badd Company...C-</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Candi Devine defeated Wendi Richter to retain the AWA Womens title...D</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Sgt. Slaughter and Koloff against The Lumberjacks ended in a no contest...C+</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Larry Zbyszko defeated Jerry Blackwell to retain the AWA World Heavyweight title...C+</em></strong></span></p><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em>WWF PRIME TIME WRESTLING RESULTS</em></strong></span></p></div><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> </em></strong></span><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Friday, Week 2, September 1989</span></em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Arn Anderson defeated Bushwacker Luke...B-</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Bad News Brown defeated Jim Powers...D-</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> ANGLE: Backstage segment with Miss Elizabeth and Jake 'The Snake' Roberts...B+</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Canadian Power House defeated Power & Glory...C-</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> ANGLE: Confrontation involving Hulk Hogan and Macho Man...A*</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Mr. Perfect defeated Koko B. Ware...C</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> ANGLE: Confrontation involving The Ultimate Warrior and Rick Rude...A</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Rowdy Roddy Piper defeated Million Dollar Man...B</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Jimmy Snuka and Macho Man defeated The Mega Maniacs...B-</em></strong></span></p><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote></div><p></p><p> ...</p>

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Zergon" data-cite="Zergon" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>NWA WORLDWIDE*<p> Saturday Week 2 September 1989</p><p> </p><p> NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Dick Murdoch vs. <strong>Z-Man</strong></p><p> <em>Z-Man was getting pushed in your last diary so maybe he gets one here as well</em></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Scott Hall</strong> vs. Ranger Ross</p><p> <em>Hall is in TV title tournament, Ross isn´t</em></p><p> </p><p> NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: <strong>Bam Bam Bigelow</strong> vs. Steve Williams</p><p> <em>Really hard one here but I like Bam Bam more.</em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING</p><p> Saturday Week 2 September 1989</p><p> </p><p> NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Al Perez vs. <strong>'Hotstuff' Eddie Gilbert</strong></p><p> <em>I don´t have much knowledge about wrestling in 1989 so I really don´t know who Perez was hence Gilbert gets my vote.</em></p><p> </p><p> NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: <strong>Mike Rotundo </strong>vs. Flyin' Brian</p><p> <em>No real idea here either so just going with Rotundo based on what happened in lst show.</em></p><p> </p><p> NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Scott Hall vs. <strong>Mystery Contestant</strong></p><p> <em>Mystery guys usually win and if I remember right Hall wasn´t a big name at this time.</em></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Terry Funk</strong> vs. Junkyard Dog</p><p> <em>Funk is more important and seems to be in feud with Flair</em></p><p> </p><p> NWA World Heavyweight Title Match: <strong>Ric Flair</strong> defends vs. 'Cowboy' Bob Orton</p><p> <em>Flair isn´t losing his belt to anyone until he has faced Funk.</em></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="nick21985" data-cite="nick21985" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>NWA WORLDWIDE*<p> Saturday Week 2 September 1989</p><p> </p><p> NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Dick Murdoch vs. <strong>Z-Man</strong></p><p> <strong>Scott Hall </strong>vs. Ranger Ross</p><p> NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: <strong>Bam Bam Bigelow</strong> vs. Steve Williams</p><p> </p><p> *NOTE: NWA Worldwide predictions WILL count toward the prediction contest. However, it will not be given a full writeup as it is a B-Show. </p><p> </p><p> Quote:</p><p> WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING</p><p> Saturday Week 2 September 1989</p><p> </p><p> NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Al Perez vs.<strong> 'Hotstuff' Eddie Gilbert</strong></p><p> NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Mike Rotundo vs. <strong>Flyin' Brian</strong></p><p> NWA World Television Title Tournament, Round 1: Scott Hall vs. <strong>Mystery Contestant</strong></p><p> <strong>Terry Funk</strong> vs. Junkyard Dog</p><p> NWA World Heavyweight Title Match: <strong>Ric Flair</strong> defends vs. 'Cowboy' Bob Orton</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong><em>Thanks for the tips, guys! They are really appreciated.</em></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Beejus" data-cite="Beejus" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Nice to see this floating along again!</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong><em>It's great to have you back!</em></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Ritchardo" data-cite="Ritchardo" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29361" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Forgot to post last week - Nice Fall Brawl, keeping it very close to what actually happened with a few tweaks here and there, makes sense it was a creatively excellent period for NWA although it was at this point that the wheels began to fall off...</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong><em>I definitely didn't want to simply eliminate all that went on during this time period as though it was being started fresh. Hopefully, I am able to adjust slowly and accordingly to my own ideas while keeping true to the NWA at this time period. There is definitely a lot of talent in both the tag team and singles divisions. Glad you've enjoyed it so far!</em></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p>

Archived