WWF 1989: Where Sports Entertainment Comes Alive

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/angeldelayetteposter.jpg

A Little OOC Backstory

Some of you may or may not have read anything that I have done. If you're new here then welcome for the ride. If you're a veteran then sit back and enjoy. Since the beginning of TEW 2010, I have run 6 diaries, including this one. Those have been:

USPW: A Slow Ride To The Top - 01-20-2010 - 07-11-2010=Just short of 6 months.

NWA 1989: Tradition To Innovation - 03-27-2010 - 07-10-2010=3 and a half months.

USPW - What? This Again? - 07-19-2010 - Present=5 Months and counting.

WWF 2001: The InVasion Done Right - 09-27-2010 - 10-18-2010=Just short of 1 month.

NWA 1989: Tradition Revisited - 10-23-2010 - Present=Just short of 2 months and counting.

I am looking forward to running this particular one alongside my USPW - What? This Again? diary, meaning that I am planning on putting my NWA 1989: Tradition Revisited diary on hiatus for the time being. There is a reason for this. I honestly feel like the WWF will be more fun to write for based on the characters involved. The NWA is moreso an in-ring workrate type of thing and I think, as shown by my USPW diaries, I do so much better with a focus on character work than on the in-ring stuff.

Does this mean that the NWA diary is completely dead? Nope. I will be keeping the savegame handy in case I ever decide to go back to it at a future date.

This will not have any impact on my USPW diary as it will still be my number one draw.

Now some may complain about my starting a new diary again and they have cause to do that. However, I feel I am making the right choice, the right decision here.

Prediction Contest

As with all of my diaries, the prediction contest will be run and will go through the end of the year for the first one and then every four months after that. Hopefully, I will have some interesting prizes by the end of the year but if anyone thinks of one they'd like me to use in particular, feel free to let me know.

Thanks

I would like to send out a special thanks to jhd1 for the posters within this diary. As I've told him multiple times, he is a creative genius.

Another thanks goes to Adam Ryland for making such a fun and fantastic game in TEW 2010.

A final thanks goes to Gary Wooder for this very entertaining mod that brings me back to my childhood.

Final Thoughts?

Sit back, relax and be transported back to a time where kayfabe ruled the day. Back to a time where The Immortal Hulk Hogan was WWF World Heavyweight Champion and The Ultimate Warrior was the WWF Intercontinental Champion. Back to a time where Mr. Perfect was still absolutely as his name says: Perfect.

Any comments/thoughts/questions/predictions are always welcomed at any time.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ROSTER LISTING

WWF World Heavyweight Champion: Hulk Hogan

WWF Intercontinental Champion: The Ultimate Warrior

WWF King of the Ring Champion: Tito Santana

WWF World Tag Team Champions: The Brainbusters (Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard)

Main Eventers

Bret Hart

Hulk Hogan (Managed by Miss Elizabeth)

Jake 'The Snake' Roberts

Rowdy Roddy Piper

Superfly

The Ultimate Warrior

Andre The Giant (Managed by Bobby Heenan)

Macho Man (Managed by Sensational Sherri)

Million Dollar Man (Managed by Virgil)

Rick Rude

Upper Midcarders

Ax

Dusty Rhodes

Jim 'The Anvil' Neidhart

Smash

Tito Santana

Akeem (Managed by Slick)

Greg Valentine

Honky Tonk Man (Managed by Jimmy Hart)

Rick Martel

Tully Blanchard (Managed by Bobby Heenan)

Midcarders

Brutus 'The Barber' Beefcake

Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Marty Jannetty

Ronnie Garvin

Shawn Michaels

The Mighty Hercules

The Red Rooster

Tugboat

Arn Anderson (Managed by Bobby Heenan)

Big Bossman (Managed by Slick)

Haku (Managed by Bobby Heenan)

Jacques Rougeau (Managed by Jimmy Hart)

Mr. Perfect (Managed by The Genius)

The Barbarian (Managed by Mr. Fuji)

The Warlord (Managed by Mr. Fuji)

Lower Midcarders

Bushwacker Luke

Koko B. Ware

Bad News Brown

Dino Bravo (Managed by Jimmy Hart)

Earthquake

Raymond Rougeau

Virgil

Openers

Barry Horowitz

Bushwacker Butch

Boris Zhukov

Nikolai Volkoff

The Brooklyn Brawler

Enhancement Talents

Jim Powers

Paul Roma

Occasional Wrestlers

The Fabulous Moolah

The Genius

Zeus

Managers

Miss Elizabeth

Jimmy Hart

Mr. Fuji

Sensational Sherri

Slick

Announcers

Gorilla Monsoon

Lord Alfred Hayes

Tony Schiavone

Vince McMahon

Colour Commentator

Bobby Heenan

Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

Referees

Earl Hebner

Joey Marella

Tim White

Danny Davis

Dave Hebner

Authority Figure

Howard Finkel

Jack Tunney

Mean Gene Okerlund

Mike McGuirk

Sean Mooney

Road Agent

Jack Brisco

Jerry Brisco

Brother Love

Pat Patterson

Tag Teams

Demolition (Ax and Smash)

The Bushwackers (Bushwacker Butch and Bushwacker Luke)

The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart)

The Mega Maniacs (Brutus 'The Barber' Beefcake and Hulk Hogan)

The Rockers (Marty Jannetty and Shawn Michaels)

Young Stallions (Jim Powers and Paul Roma)

Canadian Power House (Earthquake and Dino Bravo)

Colossal Connection (Andre The Giant and Haku)

The Brainbusters (Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard)

The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers (Jacques Rougeau and Raymond Rougeau)

The Powers of Pain (The Warlord and The Barbarian)

The Twin Towers (Akeem and Big Bossman)

Stables

The Heenan Family:

Andre the Giant

Arn Anderson

Bobby Heenan

Haku

Mr. Perfect

Rick Rude

Tully Blanchard

[We cut inside the studios within Titan Towers where Sean Mooney is sitting in front of a desk prepared to bring you WWF Update!]

Sean Mooney

"Hello everyone. Sean Mooney here and welcome to WWF Update! We just finished one of the biggest pay-per-view events of the year: WWF Summerslam 1989 and what a show it was! The second Summerslam pay-per-view event was held in the Meadowlands Arena and featured some hard-hitting action. We had matches like The Brainbusters defeating The Hart Foundation and Dusty Rhodes pinning the Honky Tonk Man. We also had a title change within the show as The Ultimate Warrior pinned Ravishing Rick Rude to win the World Wrestling Federation Intercontinental title with a little help from Rowdy Roddy Piper. But most importantly was our main event. It was a tag team match pitting The Immortal Hulk Hogan and Brutus The Barber Beefcake against Macho Man Randy Savage and Zeus. This was a solid back and forth wrestling encounter that saw Hulk Hogan use Sensational Sherri's loaded purse as a weapon against Zeus and get the pinfall win. I am sure that everyone involved will have something to say this week on WWF Prime Time Wrestling and WWF Superstars so make sure you tune in. For WWF Update, this is Sean Mooney."

[sean smiles and waves to the camera and we cut out.]

SUMMERSLAM RESULTS

The Brainbusters (Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard) (with Bobby Heenan) defeated The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart)

Dusty Rhodes defeated The Honky Tonk Man (with Jimmy Hart)

Mr. Perfect defeated The Red Rooster

Rick Martel and The Fabulous Rougeaus (Jacques and Raymond) (with Jimmy Hart and Slick) defeated Tito Santana and The Rockers (Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty)

The Ultimate Warrior defeated Rick Rude © (with Bobby Heenan)

Jim Duggan and Demolition (Smash and Ax) defeated André the Giant and The Twin Towers (The Big Boss Man and Akeem) (with Bobby Heenan and Slick)

Hercules defeated Greg Valentine (with Jimmy Hart) by disqualification

Ted DiBiase (with Virgil) defeated Jimmy Snuka by countout

Hulk Hogan and Brutus Beefcake (with Miss Elizabeth) defeated Randy Savage and Zeus (with Sensational Sherri)

Credited to Wikipedia.org. Summerslam (1989)

looking forward to this

I don't really do real world diaries or historical but it's angel delayette and I know atleast a bit of WWF in the 80's so I'll be reading!

It's great to have both of you on-board with this project. If either of you or anyone has any ideas on how to make this a little more authentic for 1989 or any ideas for the diary at all don't hesitate to hit me up on pm or even on this post. All ideas will be taken into consideration.

Well I wasn't born in 1989 :p so IDK hopefully some of the older members can help you out

I only know from videos and such, and by " I know a bit" I meant names and teams and who fought who I never watch it to great extent sorry :)

I was 8 years old in 1989 so this is a bit of my heyday as far as really getting into the young kid stage of watching professional wrestling. I will admit to being a Hulkamaniac and a little Warrior back in those days. So this is definitely great nostalgia for me.

The Powers of Pain vs. Demolition

'Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase vs. Jim Powers

Non Title: The Brooklyn Brawler vs. The Ultimate Warrior

Virgil vs. Tito Santana

'Macho Man' Randy Savage vs. 'Superfly' Jimmy Snuka

Rick Rude vs. Bret Hart

Guesses i was only -6/7

At this point Demolition is fading into the sunset...so Unless the L.O.D. sign on, I'd go with The Powers of Pain.

One is the Million Dollar Man, the other is a jobber...

Warrior over the lifetime loser Steve Lombardi

Virgil vs. Tito Santana

Ted for the interference setting up a King of the Ring/Million Dollar Man feud

Macho needs the win to get the momentum going to face Hogan and that traitor Elizabeth!

Rick Rude vs. Bret Hart

Odd push for both as I recall they were mid to upper mid carders back then...Rude deserves a win before he croaks...again.

-as much as I want to agree, Demolition was still a top team in 1989 - they didn't start fading away until around late 90-91 when Crush was added to the group (maybe that was mid 90's, my memory is bad right now)

- If I were to do a game out of my WWF 1989 game, I would be shot because I actually built the Young Stallions into contenders.

I'd love to see the Warrior jobbed out

Virgil vs. Tito Santana

-Despite interference from The Million Dollar Man... ol' Chico will hit the Flyin Jalapeño and pick up the win

-Macho Man > Superfly

Rick Rude vs. Bret Hart (DRAW)

-The Hitman deserves a trip to the top early on (despite being a midcarder at this time) however, I sense shenanigans and a non-finish

complete guesses:

Virgil vs. Tito Santana

Rick Rude vs. Bret Hart

Virgil vs. Tito Santana

Rick Rude vs. Bret Hart

Guesses i was only -6/7

At this point Demolition is fading into the sunset...so Unless the L.O.D. sign on, I'd go with The Powers of Pain.

One is the Million Dollar Man, the other is a jobber...

Warrior over the lifetime loser Steve Lombardi

Virgil vs. Tito Santana

Ted for the interference setting up a King of the Ring/Million Dollar Man feud

Macho needs the win to get the momentum going to face Hogan and that traitor Elizabeth!

Rick Rude vs. Bret Hart

Odd push for both as I recall they were mid to upper mid carders back then...Rude deserves a win before he croaks...again.

-as much as I want to agree, Demolition was still a top team in 1989 - they didn't start fading away until around late 90-91 when Crush was added to the group (maybe that was mid 90's, my memory is bad right now)

- If I were to do a game out of my WWF 1989 game, I would be shot because I actually built the Young Stallions into contenders.

I'd love to see the Warrior jobbed out

Virgil vs. Tito Santana

-Despite interference from The Million Dollar Man... ol' Chico will hit the Flyin Jalapeño and pick up the win

-Macho Man > Superfly

Rick Rude vs. Bret Hart (DRAW)

-The Hitman deserves a trip to the top early on (despite being a midcarder at this time) however, I sense shenanigans and a non-finish

Thanks for the predictions and comments! Always love reading the comments that go along with them as they give me a good insight into how people feel about certain wrestlers.

Great to see you doing a classic one here, Angel... I'll be reading as much as I can... Or as much as I can be on! You'll probably get most of my comments on MSN or something.

Good to see you back around, T! And especially good to see you predicting here. I think this is going to be a lot of fun.

Wooo, Demolition & Young Stallions!! I was a heavy Demolition mark when I was a kid and I always marked out for Jim Powers for some unknown reason..

Demo are an interesting team, especially the original Demolition. Might be interesting if I can eventually get the Legion of Doom into the WWF, right? And Jim Powers is definitely a name I remember from my past. Funny how certain guys stick out, right?

Hello-ha! Missed the last few weeks of the NWA due to various vacation and ISP issues which combined to stop the launch of my own latest diary (couldn't hold out for Genadi's 87 mod after all it seems!) a NHB take on WWF '89... ah well... I'm a few weeks in and will launch anyway once the home internet situation is sorted out once and for all...

To the predictometer then:

Ax is starting to wind down here but he can still go. The Powers of Pain never really got over and they're in the downward part of their cycle.

Squish-Squash or will Jake Roberts make his comeback tonight and cost Dibiase a shock loss?!! Nah... Dibiase's still going to take it

Another squash but not one that will pass without a GIANT slab of intereference I reckon... (see what I did there...)

Virgil vs. Tito Santana

I'll be interested to see if Tito keeps up his part in the longest and least eventful feud in the history of man against Rick Martel!

Superfly is as good as done in the WWF at this point despite the recent big comeback (Heck I was using him as credibility booster for midcarders in my AWA save so what chance does he have here!) still over but I'd be dropping him like a stone to the midcard with some tactical losses - naturally a loss to the company's top worker is not going to hurt too much in itself but I believe its the start of a slippery slope for the original Phenom.

Rick Rude vs. Bret Hart

A feud with everyone's favourite Canadian pretend-Scotsman could send Rude to the top of the heel charts as Savage is just coming off of an extended programme with Hogan. I fancy some Brainbuster interference to help save their stablemate with Piper & Neidhart evening up the score for a six man brawl as we go off air.

WWF PRIME TIME WRESTLING

Taped: Friday Week 1 September 1989

Virgil vs. Tito Santana

Rick Rude vs. Bret Hart

Virgil vs. Tito Santana

Rick Rude vs. Bret Hart

I remember 1989 a little bit. I was 4 years old but when I was that little I used to rent the PPV VHS's from the movie store. I was a huge Hogan fan. Loved LOD, and Demolition too. Hopefully you bring LOD in for a proper feud with Demolition that lasts for awhile. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Like juggaloninjalee I was a big Hogan, LOD and, as you know my friend, Davey Boy Smith fan. I just over a year old in 1989 though so I was a fan after-the-fact :D

The Warlord was cool but Ax and Smash are still bigger names here.

Everybody has a price for the Million Dollar Man. Hahahahaha...ahem.

Did Brawler ever win? Bring back (forward?) Abe Schwarz!

Virgil vs. Tito Santana

The only Virgil match I have seen was the eight man tag at Wrestlemania VIII. That was enough for me. I quite liked El Matador too, though.

Never really was a big Snuka fan.

Rick Rude vs. Bret Hart

Rude's more of a star at this point, I would think.

Hello-ha! Missed the last few weeks of the NWA due to various vacation and ISP issues which combined to stop the launch of my own latest diary (couldn't hold out for Genadi's 87 mod after all it seems!) a NHB take on WWF '89... ah well... I'm a few weeks in and will launch anyway once the home internet situation is sorted out once and for all...

To the predictometer then:

It's good to have you back! Hope your ISP issues and all get settled quickly. I have no issues or anything with you starting up a WWF 1989 diary. It's always interesting to see another person's take on things. We can compare notes. lol.

WWF PRIME TIME WRESTLING

Virgil vs. Tito Santana

Rick Rude vs. Bret Hart

Thanks for the predictions! Glad to have you here!

I remember 1989 a little bit. I was 4 years old but when I was that little I used to rent the PPV VHS's from the movie store. I was a huge Hogan fan. Loved LOD, and Demolition too. Hopefully you bring LOD in for a proper feud with Demolition that lasts for awhile. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Good to have you here. I can remember renting those VHS's as well for both WWF and NWA. As far as LOD goes? Well, we'll just have to wait and see what happens when their contract comes up. ;)

Like juggaloninjalee I was a big Hogan, LOD and, as you know my friend, Davey Boy Smith fan. I just over a year old in 1989 though so I was a fan after-the-fact :D

The British Bulldog was a very good wrestler who I just may be looking to bring in eventually. ;) Great to have you here and predicting, my friend.

===

Now, I would like to pose a question to my readers: which promotions would you like to see profiled in the Arena Reports? Right now, the two main ones that will be there are NWA and AWA. So I am opening this up to the readers now. Are there any other promotions that you would like to be followed?

Virgil vs. Tito Santana

Rick Rude vs. Bret Hart

I'm not too much of a expert in this time...sooo HERE GOES NOTHING :D

Alright, I'm in... but I'll miss the NWA :mad:

WWF PRIME TIME WRESTLING

Somewhat high profile for Prime Time Wrestling I would say, but I'll play. Simple logic here really, I see heel tag champs around and here is a face team who could gain some momentum and get a title shot soon.

Um, yeah.

Virgil vs. Tito Santana

Virgil at this point wasn't really a wrestler, so why he has a match for any reason BUT to job would escape me.

Snuka is and will forever be a JTTS, really. And even if you're looking to build him to something, it won't come at the expense of Randy Savage, the man who you really should build a lot of things around.

Rick Rude vs. Bret Hart

Toughest match to call, but I'm going on the basis that Rude has a built-in feud straight up with guys like Warrior and Piper, so therefore he needs momentum. Bret on the other hand will serve to make Rude look amazing and be able to move into his own feud very shortly.

Archived