TEW Excel-free Spreadsheet Exporter

Cool, sounds like a good plan. I dunno when (yay study) or what I'll be able to add to it, but am excited about the idea anyway :p

For what its worth, check out this link -- free charting controls for .NET; should give you an idea of what I'm imagining and the possibilities available to represent TEWs numerous stats in a less eye watering way :D

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all honesty, I don't really see how that would help. To me, and of course everyone's free to have their own preference (even though mine is the right one :p), I like to have the stamina, the pushes, and those are the only things I use the spreadsheets for literally. Instead, I mark "sufficient" stats, "insufficient" stats, and so on, so that when it's done I pay more attention to the notes I've take on who needs increases and decreases for booking than knowing the specific numbers.

The problem is, the cutoff numbers really depend on what I've got to play with and how I'm feeling, so I don't want to or know how to appropriately code it so that it would give me a similar result.

In all honesty, I don't really see how that would help. To me, and of course everyone's free to have their own preference (even though mine is the right one :p), I like to have the stamina, the pushes, and those are the only things I use the spreadsheets for literally. Instead, I mark "sufficient" stats, "insufficient" stats, and so on, so that when it's done I pay more attention to the notes I've take on who needs increases and decreases for booking than knowing the specific numbers.

The problem is, the cutoff numbers really depend on what I've got to play with and how I'm feeling, so I don't want to or know how to appropriately code it so that it would give me a similar result.

Hah totally fair enough. Sometimes I just find that the numbers are TMI for what my purposes are and a general ballpark is all I need. In which case, looking at a spider-web chart of a worker to see their strengths and weaknesses, or comparing a couple of people via bar charts would be quicker than me mentally processing the numbers (or letters). Same thing applies for getting an overview of the world or individual region (for modding purposes moreso).

(Tracking long-term progress of data could also be useful, with a line-graph, although it's getting quite far away from the original purpose of this tool and may take a heck of a lot to implement.)

Like you said though, all depends on preference though :) I'm also a visual learner, which may factor into it

I apologize, I'm not going to be getting the unemployed workers implemented this weekend based on my current estimates. However, for those of you who wanted Popularity, good news! That should be in this evening! I just need to add the bits that actually output that information, and make sure it's essentially accurate. So I'll put up 2.2.1 this evening, as well as putting up the link to my shared Dropbox folder. I'll edit in a note here after I've got that working and uploaded.

Oh yeah, you know how you're working on unemployed workers? Any chance of All workers as well? Like I was kind of mentioning before, it'd be a benefit to modding (and something I could use right now for balancing the world)

• 2 months later...

It's quite embarrassing; I actually coded in all the popularity checks, got the window that would let you select what to show and how and such, and got lazy because I hate coding the actual output. Then my hard drive crashed, and while nothing was lost I was still lazy and haven't installed Visual Studio 2010 again. I was hoping everyone had forgotten. :p I'll get on installing this afternoon and finish it, should probably be up around midnight if I don't miss my guess.

(You see, the actual output is kinda a tangled mess...)

EDIT: Ok, hitting a few minor snags, but I've got 5 hours until my self-imposed deadline, so...

Ok, update: UK South is the only problem I'm having right now. For some reason it always thinks UK South is 0. I'm gonna investigate that.

EDIT 3, seconds later: DOH! Found the problem, just need to check a couple things and I should finally get my weeks late release out.

No it cannot that I know of. If it can then man I'm good at doing stuff unintentionally.

Basically the idea is that I personally use stats for booking purposes, and don't use Excel. Then apparently other people used my little program for the same purpose (or roughly the same).

So I do admit, I feel a little dumb. I've downloaded all the things in the first post, as well as the most updated version of your own script. I've even ran your script, correctly, and exported the .xml file. I just have no clue how to actually view the darn thing.. help?

Right click, select "open with," and select your spreadsheet software.

If you don't have any spreadsheet software, I'd recommend LibreOffice.

I use open office personally - Libre is a fork of Open office so same thing :)...

HAHA, I kinda like your little tool...you have any more your wanting to do?

Hmm... well, yes and no. I've got some things I'd like to do, but a lot of it is very ambitious compared to the work I'm actually willing to do. :\ So I'm not really comfortable calling the old man out when I'm already not 100% sure how Adam felt about me mucking about with his save files, and if I'm probably not going to DO it I don't want to sit here and announce anything. (That said, one of the things I've been wanting to do, I saw someone asking about in one of the Suggestions threads... so I was like 10 seconds away from piping up and then I realized that the odds of doing anything with the idea is between slim and none.)

And yeah, I basically only use Libre because for me personally it loads a few seconds faster for me.

• 9 months later...

That's because Multiupload seems to have vanished in the wake of Megaupload getting busted. To save Linsolv more messages since I sent him one asking for this and have a download link.

You can download it from

Dropbox and I've uploaded it to Mediafire

A warning for Norton's users. File Insight tags this as a threat WS.Reputation.1 which reading their description sounds like a false positive due to there not being a lot of people using this program. If you download from Dropbox and can't find it afterwards it's probably been quarantined which is why it's as a rar on mediafire so I didn't have to keep redownloading it.

• 1 year later...

<p>I know this thread is as old as time, but I just wanted to say thanks for this. I've recently started up with TEW2010 again, to see if I can put in enough game time to make it worth buying 2013.</p><p>

Well, things have moved on a lot with technology, and now rather than spend all my time at my desk, I like to sit on my backside on the sofa with my tablet, so using this to export my data means I can do that to plan my shows out before sitting down at TEW for the hard stuff. Enough rambling. Cheers!!</p>

Archived