Beginning of MMA Reboot

I have been wanting to play a game with the defaut data but from the beginning of MMA. I wanted it to look like MMA when the UFC started and then PRIDE came along and the sport grew from there. I also wanted to play to look something like that as well with the U.S. and Japan dominating the promotions and lesser known regions staying that way. I also wanted the big stars to be mostly in the 2000's in stead of the 90's much like real life.

So...I decided to make a mod.

This is just the first version and I am posting mostly to get feedback for improving it. It is certainly playable and possibly very good as is, but I don't want to call it final just yet. I've highlighted some of the features below.

Start Date: January, 1991

Version 1.0

• Combined the default data and Eyeball's expansion pack
  • Reset all fighters reputation, performance and aura to 0
  • Reset most fighters popularity to 0 except a few who debut as known fighters
  • Adjusted debut dates for many of the better fighters to debut later in the game
  • Adjusted the birth year of several star fighters so not all the top level fighters are in their prime in the 2000's
  • Adjusted women fighters and prmotions to debut later in the game.
  • Adjusted most Canadian and British fighters and many others to debut later in the game to better simulate real life progression
  • Adjusted opening dates and bases for several promotions to give it a more real life feel
  • Adjusted opening dates for most of the fight teams to debut randomly
  • Added a few fictional TV stations that I could find logos for online
  • Added a user avatar
  • Created several "eras" based off of the default eras.

Version 1.1

• Updated ratings of fighters whose DOB and/or debut I changed so they do not debut with their ratings from their prime

Version 1.2

• Updated birth years of some fighters debuting after age 35
  • Updated reputation for some fighters debuting with popularity earned in the amateur ranks or from being a crossover star
  • Updated debut dates for promotions so that no promotion will debut randomly

Version 2.0

• Set a company to debut with a history, including fight and title histories.
  • Updated more debut and birth years.
  • Adjusted every company's beginning popularity and momentum.
  • Set most companies to "TV Driven" to more closely resemble real life.
  • Added narratives so that some companies would evolve over time.
  • Added blood relationships for several fighters.
  • Adjusted TV station and PPV carriers.
  • Adjusted some of the game areas and game regions.

Version 2.1

• Completely updated all game regions
  • Updated a few fighters' weight and/or debut
  • Updated a missing narrative story

Version 3.0 - Download

• Completely readjusted experience ratings for all fighters
  • Made adjustments to kick ratings of many fighters
  • Adjusted stamina levels for many fighters
  • Changed birth and/or debut years for several fighters
  • Adjusted height and weights for several fighters

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can pack? Preferably around around 30 so they don't have chance to become good.

Honestly, I don't believe in cans, at least not fighters specifically designed to lose. It may work well in the game but I try to play my games like I would if I was running a real world promotion. Also, this is entirely based off of the default data so my thought process is, if Adam thought it was adequate, so do I.

I appreciate the interest and hope you still can find some value in the mod. If anyone else wants to contribute a pack o' cans, I can add that as a separate download for those interested...

OK, after a few plays, just a few quick things:

GAMMA is just imported from the default database. It should start with less pop and a more no hold bar rule set.

Some of the guys are debuting as really old (Cliff McAddam is an example) and a few of them should have some sort of pro record attached to them or else with 2 straight losses they'll retire.

Ditto for guys like Mantas who starts out with pretty big pop. Reputation should also be changed to reflect their record.

No promotion should be set to "randomly open" or else one will open as soon as the year hits 1993.

OK, after a few plays, just a few quick things:

GAMMA is just imported from the default database. It should start with less pop and a more no hold bar rule set.

Some of the guys are debuting as really old (Cliff McAddam is an example) and a few of them should have some sort of pro record attached to them or else with 2 straight losses they'll retire.

Ditto for guys like Mantas who starts out with pretty big pop. Reputation should also be changed to reflect their record.

No promotion should be set to "randomly open" or else one will open as soon as the year hits 1993.

Thanks for taking a look!

The reason no fighter debuts with a record is that this mod is intended to mimic the beginning of MMA. As such, no MMA fights had actually taken place prior to the mod so no fighter could actually have a record. Fighters debuting down the road could, theoretically, have fought in smaller, unknown promotions, but for the sake of the mod we will assume that has not happened.

I adjusted the rep for some of the fighters who debut with name value. This is to mimic guys like Royce Gracie who were well known before MMA but had not actually fought "mixed martial arts" prior to the UFC. Also, some fighters debuting later with name value and rep would simulate guys like Brock Lesnar or Herschel Walker who were crossover stars or had earned name recognition as BJJ, wrestling or kick boxing stars.

I also adjusted the promotions so that none debut randomly. However, some debut with National popularity so that they can hold events throughtout the country initially, much like the UFC and Bellator did. ALPHA-1 debut's with significant popularity to mimic the craze that surrounded it in Japan when it was created.

Any other feedback, feel free to post and I will look at it. Thanks!

Nobody else trying this out?

I've definitely been meaning to. I was actually planning on doing something like this to my game, but since I don't have too much time to play (I'm still in my 4th year only!) I haven't checked it out. I'll download it tonight and give it a run through, I'll post back tomorrow night;) The mod does seem very interesting, especially with the 2.0 updates, adds a bit of life to the game world.

Thanks for putting in the work:)

I've definitely been meaning to. I was actually planning on doing something like this to my game, but since I don't have too much time to play (I'm still in my 4th year only!) I haven't checked it out. I'll download it tonight and give it a run through, I'll post back tomorrow night;) The mod does seem very interesting, especially with the 2.0 updates, adds a bit of life to the game world.

Thanks for putting in the work:)

No problem. Looking forward to your feedback. Hope you enjoy it!

Got a chance to play today and I'm loving it! I simmed the first year (I always do) and played about 8 months of the second year. I don't think I have gotten far enough in to give you too much feedback other than so far, it's awesome.

I did look over some things in the editorial suite and I got some questions.

Rep: How come some guys are debuting with pretty big reputations?

Sho Kitabatake comes into the game world with 75 rep. Not sure if this is intentional or not.

Eras: Why so little crossover stars? You have it set to low across all eras except "beginning-1996" which is set to normal.

Game Regions: You have most of the regions set with everything at 0, which makes perfect sense considering it's the beginning of mma, but does that change on it's own over time? (I don't know too much about how that works lol)

Narratives: I love that you got narratives in there, but no story?

It's not a big deal, but if it is suppose to be the early stages of mma, something like a promotion changing the rules would be pretty big news on an mma specific site like Blurcat.

These are obviously things that anyone can "tweak" to their liking, I was just wondering why you made certain decisions.

The mod is awesome and watching the game world develop this way makes it that much more interesting.

Great mod and thanks a ton for sharing:D

Is there any specific reason why none of the pictures show up, and I get an error when I try to change the pictures in-game?

While I'd normally type it up to a problem on my end since nobody else is reporting anything similar, I literally don't have this problem with any other mod. Is the data somehow corrupted, or something? Should I just re-download it?

Got a chance to play today and I'm loving it! I simmed the first year (I always do) and played about 8 months of the second year. I don't think I have gotten far enough in to give you too much feedback other than so far, it's awesome.

I did look over some things in the editorial suite and I got some questions.

Rep: How come some guys are debuting with pretty big reputations?

Sho Kitabatake comes into the game world with 75 rep. Not sure if this is intentional or not.

Because the promotions start of with popularity and need some stars to help keep that popularity. The UFC wasn't limited to just Colorado when they started so I wanted to mimic that with GAMMA. PRIDE was HUGE in Japan when they started so I'm trying to mimic that a bit as well with ALPHA-1. ISL is kind of a Pancrase/Shooto hybrid and some big name fighters started out in those promtions as well so some were well known when they hit the bigger promotions.

Eras: Why so little crossover stars? You have it set to low across all eras except "beginning-1996" which is set to normal.

I basically followed what Adam had set up with the default data. I figured he knew how the game would handle that better than I. :)

Game Regions: You have most of the regions set with everything at 0, which makes perfect sense considering it's the beginning of mma, but does that change on it's own over time? (I don't know too much about how that works lol)

They are supposed to...

Narratives: I love that you got narratives in there, but no story?

It's not a big deal, but if it is suppose to be the early stages of mma, something like a promotion changing the rules would be pretty big news on an mma specific site like Blurcat.

There are stories to go with some of the narratives. If several rule changes take effect on one day then there is only one story to cover all of them.

These are obviously things that anyone can "tweak" to their liking, I was just wondering why you made certain decisions.

The mod is awesome and watching the game world develop this way makes it that much more interesting.

Great mod and thanks a ton for sharing:D

Glad you're liking it!

Is there any specific reason why none of the pictures show up, and I get an error when I try to change the pictures in-game?

While I'd normally type it up to a problem on my end since nobody else is reporting anything similar, I literally don't have this problem with any other mod. Is the data somehow corrupted, or something? Should I just re-download it?

Is everyone else getting the pics with the download?

Anyone having trouble getting the ISL to run a show? They were running shows in testing when the AI was controlling everything but have not run a shw through December when I control GAMMA...

The started running shows in my game in 93'. They did 3 shows, then in 94' and 95' did 4 shows and now, at the end of 96' did 6 shows.

The started running shows in my game in 93'. They did 3 shows, then in 94' and 95' did 4 shows and now, at the end of 96' did 6 shows.

Damn! So they went two years without running a show and have 22 fighters on their roster?!?!? Something must be amiss...

Damn! So they went two years without running a show and have 22 fighters on their roster?!?!? Something must be amiss...

I didn't even notice until I saw your post and checked it out. I was to busy trying to run my promotion and GAMMA was running shows so I didn't even realize it lol

Archived