What's the best settings for future companies yet to open?

I'm going to be putting a whole bunch of fictional companies from a mod pack here set to openly randomly in the future into the next game I start. I have a question about their default settings though.

Two things really, finance and popularity. How critical is it to the success of an AI promotion that opens after the game has started? Most of them I have set to Medium finances and unknown zero popularity everywhere to reflect a brand new company starting from scratch.

But basically I want these companies to have a shot at actually doing well and competing if they open, and if having them start with medium funds and zero popularity will keep this from happening, I'd set their starting points higher.

Has anyone experimented with this stuff a bit and seen the results? Are the starting points really critical to a promotion's chances or is it all just random and a poor promotion can still prosper while a rich popular promotion flops?

Thanks to anyone with any insight or stories.

Any company with finances Small or below has closed for me, but OMEGA seems to have "made it" and they have Good finances. The jury's still out on Medium, as EMERALD and MMC both opened fairly recently. I might suggest a small amount of popularity to the home area though, in the 5 to 25% range.

From what I've seen a company that is high-level regional can just about break even, which is the key to lasting success. So basically a new company has to have enough cash to survive until they get to high-level regional. I haven't really looked at it, so 'm not really sure how much money that would take.

If you want to try an experiment, I'd create a couple unknown and a couple low-level regional and run a couple years. Then at the end of that time see how much their popularity has risen and their finances have dropped. This should give you an idea of how long it will take them to get to high-level regional and how much they will lose per month. Then you should have a pretty good idea of how much cash they would need at the start to survive.

Suggestion: Not that I've tried this myself, but it seems to me that what makes or breaks companies, AI or human, are lucrative TV or PPV deals.

So maybe if you put in some low-level PPV stations even small companies could get onto in order to make enough money to stay in business with crappy talent, maybe you wouldn't see so much company death?

Just a thought - I'm using Weidt's excellent mod adding tons of new TV stations and PPV carriers, and the companies certainly seem to have more money this time around than they usually do. I'm wondering if it could even save KDM from dying.

Archived