500 Message

Tigerkinney

Anyone else getting cheesed off with seeing this message all the time...

500 Internal Server Error

The request was not completed. The server met an unexpected condition.

67.19.230.90/~arles/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=164 (port 80)

Please forward this error screen to 67.19.230.90's 500 Internal Server Error for 67.19.230.90/~arles/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=164 port 80 on Saturday, 02-Apr-2011 18:23:27 CDT"]WebMaster.

This forum does seem to crash a hell of alot, and I myself can't even place a time when it happens most frequently, sometimes it happens late at night, sometimes it's gone down during my lunch break at work. Of course what I always fear is this forum crashing when I'm in the middle of posting up a show in my diary.

i've got 20 pay pal dollars for that.

OR

How about the ability to buy a membership here?

say get more message space,

maybe a tag line?

the ability to save multiple small icons

maybe even a members only area?

I like the idea, problem is most people may complain about paying for that plus buying the games.

More messages would be a plus! :p

I have gotten to the point of where I make sure I constantly save my diary stuff in a wordpad just in case. It really is annoying and I am hoping that there is something that these professionals here can do about it.

I had to start doing this, happened to me a few times as i was just posting a show and that really isn't fun.

As far as I can tell (and I'm not an expert), the problem is with how many people are on the forums at any time, since that's the same error message a lot of people used to get when a new game was released as lots of people would be on at once trying to get to it. The forums here have a big problem with spambots that goes almost entirely un-noticed now thanks to the new post moderation that posters have to go through. On the top forum (the Grey Dog Software General Discussions forum) the entire first page fills up with spam threads every 10 minutes (the current page is 5 minutes in fact, so it's getting worse) which means that there are at about 500 threads in there every day... and the problem spreads to every part of the site too, but to a lesser degree.

The result being (as far as I can tell) is that even when there doesn't appear to be much activity going on there is actually a huge load on the server, which leads to the messages constantly popping up.

Best advice I can give is to make sure you at least copy anything important you are going to post before you submit and to try and give the server a minute or two to recover when the message pops up to give it the best chance to minimize adding to the troubles by putting more demands on the server. :)

I can believe that - the Grey Dog General Discussion was full of spam this morning. Pages of threads about designer fashion and the like, but I'm not sure how it got through.

I always have a word document entitled To Be Posted for my shows, and after each formatting session I save it in there (and on occasion as a draft in my emails too). If you are trying to post something and the 500 message appears, pressing back will return you to your post entry - from there you can copy your text into notepad until the forum returns to normal. :)

I can believe that - the Grey Dog General Discussion was full of spam this morning. Pages of threads about designer fashion and the like, but I'm not sure how it got through.

It's because I asked Arlie to look into the internal server error that was being complained about; it now should be fixed, but while he was doing it he appears to have accidentally accepted a couple of spambot posts - this then allowed those couple of bots to do about 45 different threads between them without needing further moderation.

Derek was not exaggerating; you can't see it but we are swamped with unmoderated spam posts, there are probably thousands per month, and that causes a big strain on the site. If you saw how much damage 2 bots did this morning, imagine what it'd have been like if the other hundred or so that didn't get moderated had gotten through.

It's because I asked Arlie to look into the internal server error that was being complained about; it now should be fixed, but while he was doing it he appears to have accidentally accepted a couple of spambot posts - this then allowed those couple of bots to do about 45 different threads between them without needing further moderation.

Derek was not exaggerating; you can't see it but we are swamped with unmoderated spam posts, there are probably thousands per month, and that causes a big strain on the site. If you saw how much damage 2 bots did this morning, imagine what it'd have been like if the other hundred or so that didn't get moderated had gotten through.

That is what I like about this site, no spam bots.

That is what I like about this site, no spam bots.

Agreed.

I've seen what spambots can do to a site that's mot as big as this one. Was not pretty. :(

Archived