A challenging way to play WMMA3

I've always found that it's too easy to make money in the WMMA games and WMMA3 is no exception. I've done it all including taking a no name company to the top no sweat. And by then I'm rolling in so much money that I can literally sign every big name fighter on the planet and still pull in a tasty profit (depending on the PPV provider). So, I've always ignored the financial side of the WMMA series and concentrated solely on booking events...until now.

I think I may have put the challenge back into WMMA3 simply by deleting all of the PPV providers (via the editor) and simply being profitable on gate income alone. You can no longer be profitable signing every big name on the planet, even at an international level. You have to pick and choose (marketable fighters are especially valuable) and pay close attention to your finances or you'll quickly bankrupt your company. It also makes talents more valuable, like negotiating and promotion and even eye for talent because you can't see how marketable a fighter is at lower levels right away.

Anyway, in my current game as a mid-level international ALPHA-1 I'm losing about 2.3m a month and am planning to scale back big time to readjust my financial outlook. I've already decided not to resign a few key fighters because they were asking too much and have decided to cut down on matches per event to save some money. This is something I've never done before and it's really exciting to have some hard choices to make now. Try it out. :D

i try to create a 0\0\0 promotion from mexico, but its so hard, because theres only a few mexican fighters..

You don't need to sign only Mexican fighters for a promotion based in Mexico. Sign the cheapest fighters you can find, run a ton of events to get their popularity up, and try to get a TV deal and PPV deal ASAP. From there you can start signing whoever you want. Just takes some patience and careful planning to get over that initial bump.

I really don't think the problem is cash-related. The problem is with the fact every other promotion in the game is a pushover who won't stand their ground in negotiations, can't hold grudges against you, and generally can't even book all their fighters to at least a fight a year consistently.

The AI is set to keep their popularity static, and that's what they do. We want to compete, to war, to lust. We want to always feel unsettled, because the objects in the rear-view mirror are getting bigger and are coming for us. This game just can't do that.

I really don't think the problem is cash-related. The problem is with the fact every other promotion in the game is a pushover who won't stand their ground in negotiations, can't hold grudges against you, and generally can't even book all their fighters to at least a fight a year consistently.

Very true. If the promotions wouldn't chicken out during the negotiations and really pushed to sign/keep fighters, then on the average fighter contracts would be a lot higher, especially for the really popular fighters.

Yep. The Ai never comes after your guys with any real threat once you hit the big time. Fighters only refuse to fight when you fail a negotiation, they don't they never hole real grudges against you. Not really any type of ratings competition. As long as you can put on shows and get some good fighters you will eventually get to the top.

While I agree the game can be more challenging and hope that the focus is being shifted in that direction, there are a few things you can do to challenge yourself.

1. Put a restriction on yourself to only hire fighters who are coming off a loss at a competing promotion (ie PRIDE competing against UFC or ALPHA-1 vs GAMMA).

2. Refuse to sign fighters who are from the home company of a competing promotion (ie don't sign Japanese fighters who are fighting in ALPHA-1/PRIDE) unless it is clear that promotion is giving up on them or unwilling/unable to sign them.

3. Refuse to change all of the contract details to the lowest possible. Set merchandise cut to 0% (since it should be by defaut) but leave all of the others (sans the top six and bonus).

4. Stipulate you have to give a bonus of at least 50% of the base pay.

Obviously, there are others you can add in as well.

While we shouldn't "have" to police ourselves to make the game more difficult, that is the situation we are in until Adam is able to code improvement to the AI/contracts. Make the best of it and get creative ;)

Post your tactics here and maybe we can get a baseline for Adam to use going forward...

I usually try and make it tougher for myself. Inevitably, however, I get annoyed with CPU matchmaking and just crush them all ASAP. Turning myself into the only major show in the game world and try to run as many shows a year as I can. Managing getting 2-4 fights a year for 200-300 fighters is a pain in the ass. I'm usually booking 500-700 fights a year. However, it does have the added bonus of eliminating the putrescent AI. So there's that.

Archived