All for One, One for All

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ShamrockJones" data-cite="ShamrockJones" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31300" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Awesome, thanks for the answers and help guys.<p> </p><p> I'll give it a few more days to hear back from Lucien or the andyemmy people about wether they're ok with us using part of their database of older fighters to add to Tag's 01.</p><p> </p><p> Till then, if it's still ok with you, Tag, I'll begin going in and changing the start dates of all the fighters to one month before their first fights. The next step, I hope, will be to get on board with one of those past mods, combine the data, and then adjust the MW stats to make sense with the other mod's stats for their fighters. After that, it will hopefully just be cleanup.</p><p> </p><p> Tag, great point. I guess it would take quite a bit more work for each historical mod. At least once this major database of both old and new fighters is done, any mod maker that wanted to do a historical one in a different would just have to go through and deal with records and the sorts of things you mentioned.</p><p> </p><p> With that in mind:</p><p> </p><p> 1) Any votes on what year this should begin in? I've done the Dawn of MMA for a bit, but I wasn't a big fan of the limited talent pool so I'd probably start it a couple of years in. Maybe '97 or '98?</p><p> </p><p> 2) If anybody wants to help, start with the names that start with Z on the MW2 data base and get the date of their first fight from Sherdog. Put it into a word document, and email it to me. Or, if multiple people still want to help, just pick a letter each(later in the alphabet, I'll start with "A" and go down), and work your way towards each other. It really doesn't matter how many anyone gets done. even 10-20 fighters from a couple of you with start dates would save me tons of work. No obligation if you aren't feeling it, but I saw a couple of people offer to help and this would be a great way.</p><p> </p><p> Thanks for all the support in forms of answers, advice, and offers to help. We could end up having somethin pretty cool here.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> My vote would be for when Zuffa buys out UFC, which I think was before UFC 30, but 97-98 is another great one. Another fun one would be shortly after the TUF boom, where you could take a stab at doing the IFL, DREAM, or EliteXC the right way. The great thing about a mod like that is that you could go back to some of my Modern Warriors mods from WMMA 1 and that should have some pretty accurate rosters and stuff. But I agree, once the first mega mod like this is done, changing the start date will just be a matter of adjusting records and tweaking stats, so it would be pretty easy for one person to do that and end up with with mods from UFC to present. </p><p> </p><p> Also, in my experience it can get messy to have multiple people working on different letters of the alphabet, only because merging those databases together can be tricky. Compiling them all in word and having one person enter the data (or at least have one official "master" database") will keep the number of errors low. </p><p> </p><p> Here are a few other things that can be done outside of the fighter data:</p><p> </p><p> 1) Pic Packs. I am fine using my pic pack, because I'm pretty sure it's the most complete so far, and if you couldn't tell I'm pretty into pic packs with uniform backgrounds. I am happy to try and dig up pics of older fighters and cut them with my background and border, but MW will still be my first priority given that my time is limited. That said, I can post the picture border that I use and give a brief tutorial (from a guy with no real graphic design skills) which will allow anyone that wants to make pictures like mine. It's as easy as manually cutting out the image, using the same background color I have, and pasting the border on top. </p><p> </p><p> 2) Eras and Narratives. It could be in this thread, or maybe another thread would be appropriate, but we can go ahead and begin a timeline of eras and narratives. These add awesome realism to the game and haven't really been used by modders much. What is also great is that if we create a comprehensive list now it will be good for any historical mod and won't really need updating. In fact, I will go ahead and start a second topic for this community project so that we can cram as much history in there as possible. </p><p> </p><p> 3) Fight teams. Much like fighters, I haven't messed around with the starting dates of fight teams. But if done right, we can accurately chart the history of the fight camps and watch their rise and fall. The combination of controlled start dates, mandatory founders, and narratives will allow for a rich history. For instance, the mod can begin with Couture at Team Quest, but have Randy as the mandatory founder of Xtreme Couture so that at the same point in history, Randy can leave to form his own gym. Another great example is that narratives will allow for the rise and fall of camps; as time goes on we can watch as the sport passes the Lions Den by, using a narrative to drop their prestige and their training skill. Or we can watch Team takedown go from a bunch of wrestlers to a grapplers paradise when Marc Laimon joins and their BJJ training skyrockets. I would say the fight teams alone would be a good project for one specific person. Anyone interested should start their own thread and keep a running track of suggestions.</p>

simple solution

There should be a render thread where you can only post if you allow everyone to use your render in public mods. There should then be a PRIVATE render thread for those that don't. I made a gigantic mod, but with all the renders spread out all over the place, it just became impossible to figure out which ones were unusable and so I just use it for myself and no one else. It should be seperated from the start IMO, and this would make things much easier. If someone changes their mind and wants to make something available for public use, then an admin could just move those renders over.

It shouldn't be hard to make a yearly mod. I mean, originally, picking a solid year is fine, but making a mod for every year only requires minor tweaking of the attributes (skills & rep/hype), history, and champions. So I'd say you don't have to put too much thought into when to start, as a '97 mod could easily be converted to a '98 mod in less than a week. Especially if the debuts are set for every fighter.

Hey Tag, I wasn't trying to suggest anything about you, I just used your mod name as an example, simple as that.

There was someone on here that used ToS I believe and updated it and put it out when nothing was coming from the Tos crew. He got in trouble and Adam made that sticky thread at the top of this very forum. That's what I was referring to.

Again, basically as Tag stated... the issue isn't that the mod was used, it was the it was used, without asking, passed off as his own work, and was basically trying to do what I was doing with my mod, just getting it out faster than me.

Dawn of MMA was created with the TOS database... I had no problem with that and permission was given.

Honestly... the only thing I wouldn't really want is for someone to use my database as a base for their own real world data constantly updating. Any kind of mod, etc... cool. I just don't want someone taking my work and trying to do what I'm doing with it. It'd be like writing half of a novel, and having someone get a hold of it and trying to write the second half while you're still working on it. if I was giving up on the project, that would be one thing.... but I'm still working on it, no matter what pace I may release things at. I've been working on this since, what? 2007?

Now, if someone wanted to make any kind of historical mod with my data... by all means, ask. I'll say yes... In fact, when I add fighters, I do add their start dates as their MMA debut... so it could work for people who wanted to try.

Lastly... one thing I did want to clear up. I keep hearing, the TOS Crew. Just wanna clear up this little misconception. Since I've been working on TOS in 2007, I am the only one to have updated the data. I had a guy help me with organizational records at one point, to which unfortunately they got eliminated after i had them all updated lol.... and I recently added a women's mma person who added 6 fighters I believe. Outside of that... this is a one man crew. Biggz uploaded the data, and was apart of the team that decided to make the data, but he'd gladly tell you, I'm doing this ish on my own. Just wanted to clear that whole "crew" thing up :)

I've begun work on a January 2007 mod using MW4 as a base. Don't expect a release anytime soon, but i'll probably give a solid update as to where things stand in a few weeks to a month.

Rudimentary rosters are done, UFC and PRIDE win-loss records are rolled back.

The idea is that the mod will take place right as UFC is coming off of the second Liddell/Ortiz fight, a huge step forward for them into the mainstream. Meanwhile, PRIDE is in all sorts of trouble but still hanging on. EliteXC is gearing up for their debut, IFL is going strong with their team concept. Zuffa has recently purchased the WEC and WFA. Rampage and Cro Cop are about to debut in the UFC.

I've begun work on a January 2007 mod using MW4 as a base. Don't expect a release anytime soon, but i'll probably give a solid update as to where things stand in a few weeks to a month.

The idea is that the mod will take place right as UFC is coming off of the second Liddell/Ortiz fight, a huge step forward for them into the mainstream. Meanwhile, PRIDE is in all sorts of trouble but still hanging on. EliteXC is gearing up for their debut, IFL is going strong with their team concept. Zuffa has recently purchased the WEC and WFA. Rampage and Cro Cop are about to debut in the UFC.

That sounds great :) Make sure to delete the records too. I would love that, kind of at the turning of MMA getting bigger and bigger. Some ratings will need a tweak though, Liddell's chin is still good, Tito isn't a can etc.

I am in the midst of something similar, except I am rolling it back to Anderson Silva's debut in the sport. Let me know if you want to get a team effort started, we could make something fierce. If we can get 3 or 4 people in on it, it could be a lot of fun.

<p>At the moment I'm going to keep this a solo project. As things get rolling and the objectives get more narrow, I may recruit some team members to help out. Trying to get too many people in on the ground floor of a project like this usually leaves everything a disjointed mess. I want the mod to have uniformity.</p><p> </p><p>

And yes, ratings will need a huge overhaul and fights will need to be deleted. These are pretty basic aspects of any mod that I would hope anyone who is going to bother working on one has considered.</p>

At the moment I'm going to keep this a solo project. As things get rolling and the objectives get more narrow, I may recruit some team members to help out. Trying to get too many people in on the ground floor of a project like this usually leaves everything a disjointed mess. I want the mod to have uniformity.

And yes, ratings will need a huge overhaul and fights will need to be deleted. These are pretty basic aspects of any mod that I would hope anyone who is going to bother working on one has considered.

True true. If you get to a testing point, I will help you test it.

Hopefully I am not stepping on anybody's toes,but here is the data I said I was working on.Most of the credit has to go Lucien Sanchez for creating the Pride Vs UFC data which I used as a guide and D.O. for his Tap or Snap data.They created the puzzle I just put in the few missing pieces.This is not fully complete a few things still need to be worked on mainly the Name Value.The camps need a little bit of tweeking plus the couple of guys I importated probably need tweeking,but I don't think that is a big deal because alot of them will probably retire.I would suggest turning off regen for the first couple of years.I won't be able to work on this for a little while so if someone wanted to go through and do the name value or whatever go right ahead if not I will get back to it.Also if somebody wanted to take this data and make it a different year go right ahead I think the name value not being complete might actually be helpful.If the link provided does not work just let me know and I will try again.For whatever reason when you download the file doesn't show up in the game so just rename the folder back to TaporSnap and that should work.I will try and put a new link up later so this won't have to be done.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5ASY49K2

Hopefully I am not stepping on anybody's toes,but here is the data I said I was working on.Most of the credit has to go Lucien Sanchez for creating the Pride Vs UFC data which I used as a guide and D.O. for his Tap or Snap data.They created the puzzle I just put in the few missing pieces.This is not fully complete a few things still need to be worked on mainly the Name Value.The camps need a little bit of tweeking plus the couple of guys I importated probably need tweeking,but I don't think that is a big deal because alot of them will probably retire.I would suggest turning off regen for the first couple of years.I won't be able to work on this for a little while so if someone wanted to go through and do the name value or whatever go right ahead if not I will get back to it.Also if somebody wanted to take this data and make it a different year go right ahead I think the name value not being complete might actually be helpful.If the link provided does not work just let me know and I will try again.For whatever reason when you download the file doesn't show up in the game so just rename the folder back to TaporSnap and that should work.I will try and put a new link up later so this won't have to be done.

Personally I think this could be a great starting point for a community mod, if people would be interested.

• 4 months later...

Bump for quote and thanks.

And also in the hope that this continues to be a development on the forum.

Link no longer works, Any chance of it being re-uploaded? thanks.

• 3 months later...
I don't know if anybody else still has this or not,but unfortunately I lost all of the real world mod stuff I had worked on and then megaupload closed down before I got them back.I was thinking about starting work on a game that started in 2007 after Pride died,but it is alot of work to go through a change that many records.

Well that sucks.

I was thinking of a similar thing but without the starting point, I don't really feel like it! I also really want the excel exporter to be a editable database - if you could export, update all the fields and then import, this would make modding so much easier and would really encourage people to build and develop.

• 8 months later...

Archived