1994: Clash of The Titans

I'll probably start a game after your first update. I can't wait.

I'll run WCW and do the same storyline that saw The Butcher debut with WCW, but instead of having it be Leslie I'll do the original plan of Curt Hennig showing up in WCW in 94 to challenge Hogan. Would have been so much better had it gone as planned instead of Ed Leslie. Woof.

Also will bring in Jake Roberts for SURE as a Three Faces of Fear guy instead of Leslie.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll run WCW and do the same storyline that saw The Butcher debut with WCW, but instead of having it be Leslie I'll do the original plan of Curt Hennig showing up in WCW in 94 to challenge Hogan. Would have been so much better had it gone as planned instead of Ed Leslie. Woof.

Also will bring in Jake Roberts for SURE as a Three Faces of Fear guy instead of Leslie.

Already sounds like a winning plan!

That was the original plan? Would have been pretty awesome... except that Hennig was injured as the time, and is injured when the mod starts as well. Where have you read that? :confused:

If you guys are eager for an update, I can release one within a few days.

That was the original plan? Would have been pretty awesome... except that Hennig was injured as the time, and is injured when the mod starts as well. Where have you read that? :confused:

If you guys are eager for an update, I can release one within a few days.

Yes, it was the original plan. Hennig was injured, but not to where he couldn't work at all. He was fully capable of wrestling if the money was right. He was collecting on his insurance policy and was fine to return if someone would pay him more. Ultimately the deal with WCW fell through on money. He returned to wrestling because his policy stopped paying.

Edit: I tried to find it on the web for some backup. All I could find was this wiki article about the 3 faces of fear (Sullivan, Avalanche and Butcher) that backs me up. I've heard this before though from people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_Faces_of_Fear

At Clash Of The Champions XXVIII Hulk Hogan was scheduled to defend his newly-won WCW World Heavyweight Championship against Ric Flair. At the top of the show, Hogan was attacked by a man wearing a black mask, who struck him in the knee with a metal pipe (The angle imitated the very well known assault on Olympic Figure Skater Nancy Kerrigan that had happened about six months earlier.) Taken to the hospital, Hogan returned just in time for the main event but hampered by the injury he lost by count out.[2]

The man under the mask was originally Arn Anderson but he was never supposed to be revealed as the attacker, who was originally supposed to be Curt Hennig.[1]

From August through October 1994 Hulk Hogan tried on several occasions to find out who the mystery assailant was but to no avail. At Halloween Havoc, the mysterious attacker appeared again and was now demasked and revealed as Hulk Hogan's long time friend Brutus Beefcake.

Yes, it was the original plan. Hennig was injured, but not to where he couldn't work at all. He was fully capable of wrestling if the money was right. He was collecting on his insurance policy and was fine to return if someone would pay him more. Ultimately the deal with WCW fell through on money. He returned to wrestling because his policy stopped paying.

Fascinating... I did not know that he was actually able to wrestle in 1994 had the money been right. Makes me have to re-consider whether having him injured untill 1996 is the best course of action here...

Where did you get this from? It's the first I have ever heard of it. Would have made a world of difference in the early days of WCW-Hogan.

Here's another semi-source:

http://expertscolumn.com/content/pro-wrestling-mysteries-hogan-mystery-attacker-shawn-michaels-lost-smile-hhh-kotr-undertaker

1) Was Mr. Perfect supposed to be the mystery man that attacked Hulk Hogan in WCW in 1994?

That was the intention of WCW at first in 1994 I’m sure. Obviously it would make sense for Mr. Perfect/Curt Hennig to align himself with Ric Flair due to their past association with each other. However, there was one minor problem. WCW forgot to sign Hennig to a contract before setting up the storyline tailored to him. Therefore, Brutus Beefcake, soon to be known as the Butcher got the role as the man who attacked Hulk Hogan stabbing his long time friend in the back. Bunkhouse Buck and Arn Anderson also played the role as the Masked Man at various times, Butcher was the man who was unmasked, and the role was created for Curt Hennig.

Fascinating... I did not know that he was actually able to wrestle in 1994 had the money been right. Makes me have to re-consider whether having him injured untill 1996 is the best course of action here...

Where did you get this from? It's the first I have ever heard of it. Would have made a world of difference in the early days of WCW-Hogan.

I will personally make him on hiatus when I start a game and then sign him to simulate that it would take a mega contract to get him. I don't think you are wrong to put him as injured though as he basically "chose" to be called injured himself during this time frame.

Please remember that this was a tough time economically for wrestling. The golden age was over and the Monday Night Wars had yet to begin. The big money wasn't flowing. This was a period where if guys had the opportunity to collect on those big insurance policies they did it because WCW/WWF weren't offering the huge paydays. You ever wonder why it wasn't until Bischoff was handing out big paydays that Animal came off his insurance payments and returned to the ring?

I will personally make him on hiatus when I start a game and then sign him to simulate that it would take a mega contract to get him. I don't think you are wrong to put him as injured though as he basically "chose" to be called injured himself during this time frame.

Please remember that this was a tough time economically for wrestling. The golden age was over and the Monday Night Wars had yet to begin. The big money wasn't flowing. This was a period where if guys had the opportunity to collect on those big insurance policies they did it because WCW/WWF weren't offering the huge paydays. You ever wonder why it wasn't until Bischoff was handing out big paydays that Animal came off his insurance payments and returned to the ring?

Good point. Had the money been bigger earlier, guys like Steamboat, Rick Rude and possibly Nikita Koloff might not have retired when they did, either.

I know I, for one, was furious when I signed Hennig long-term at $35.000 per month, only to find he was out for 2-and-a-half years lol. I might just chalk this save up to "learning" and start a new one, as I'm only a week in, anyway.

I know I, for one, was furious when I signed Hennig long-term at $35.000 per month, only to find he was out for 2-and-a-half years lol. I might just chalk this save up to "learning" and start a new one, as I'm only a week in, anyway.

Yeah I wish it would tell you on a worker's profile if he's injured. You better stay away from Road Warrior Animal as well then. :p

Yeah I wish it would tell you on a worker's profile if he's injured. You better stay away from Road Warrior Animal as well then. :p

Funny you say that, as I negotiated with Animal and Hawk but balked at their asking price. I signed Miracle Violence Connection instead. :D

Good point. Had the money been bigger earlier, guys like Steamboat, Rick Rude and possibly Nikita Koloff might not have retired when they did, either.

Perfectly illustrated by the fact that Steamboat actually did wrestle on the independents in the late 90s, early 2000s and obviously wrestled with the E lately. Rick Rude began training for a comeback before he died as well because of the money.

Sounds great, Hive! I love everything about this mod (except Hennig being injured :p) so I can't wait to get my "real" game started.

Quite understandable, as it is indeed a quite smashing mod. :p

Speaking of injuries, I should probably mention that Rick Rude will also start injured in the next release - untill 1996.

It's really such a shame that Rude got injured when he did. He would have been awesome in WCW as a foil to Hogan. It was clear that WCW execs saw Rude as the main heel to build around going forward, giving him big wins over Sting and Steamboat over the past year.

It's really such a shame that Rude got injured when he did. He would have been awesome in WCW as a foil to Hogan. It was clear that WCW execs saw Rude as the main heel to build around going forward, giving him big wins over Sting and Steamboat over the past year.

Yeah... imagine a 1994 WCW that sees Hennig and Rude team up against Hogan and leave Flair to continue his feud with Sting, possibly throwing Vader into the mix.

Quite understandable, as it is indeed a quite smashing mod. :p

Speaking of injuries, I should probably mention that Rick Rude will also start injured in the next release - untill 1996.

I was already thinking of a possible return in the middle of 1995. I may have to edit that injury. :p

I've been thinking about using Rude as my color man and returning Heenan to the managerial role for Hennig.

Can't really argue against neither having Rude as color commentator or Heenan as manager, as both guys are great at either task... though I personally feel that Rude/Hennig is a perfect (I am aware of the pun here, yes) combination.

Oh, and btw...

Version 1.01 released!

Download link is in the first post.

Hive, the winter edition of wrestle america 1994 also says that Hennig was going to WCW.

Yeah I managed to track down a few sources saying the same, though none of them really go into why the plans failed to happen. Very interesting either way, though.

Yeah I managed to track down a few sources saying the same, though none of them really go into why the plans failed to happen. Very interesting either way, though.

I know I read somewhere that it was money. Oh well, it's not really important either way lol.

Archived