PW Candle: United States Pro Wrestling

Initially I intended this to be a monthly recap dynasty so I could just tell the over-arching stories and not get bogged down in the details (which is a tendency). But I think I need to have the freedom of commenting on the weekly shows so I'll be sure to illustrate where I book poorly.

This dynasty should be a help in some ways to new players, as the match comments of the PW Candle reporters will often be recaps of the dirt sheet or other general comments about the booking. Same goes for the pre-show hype which will obviously reflect my thinking going into a particular show.

Many thanks to ThatChizzle for this fantastic logo:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/gratefulcowboy/pw%20candle/PWCandle.jpg

Much better than this horrific effort I made which I'll still use from time-to-time since I took the time to make it:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/gratefulcowboy/pw%20candle/cooltext585139509.jpg

Going forward I also hope to use some of the fantastic alternate USPW belt renders that have been put up in the mod forum.

Masked Avatar is my user character as Stanley "The Weapon" Fletcher. He's starting as an on-air Upper Midcard wrestler called The Weapon. I'll be using owner goals and some self-imposed rules on worker signings. If you have any questions about anyone on the roster (or not) feel free to ask.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USPW REPORT - WEEK 1, JANUARY 2010

By Brint Williams - PW Candle Columnist

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/gratefulcowboy/pw%20candle/2009-04-07-businessman.jpg

“There’s a place for what we do, and what we do is wrestling – the right way.”

-Sam Strong, USPW Owner

The way that Sam (Strong) oversees things, there’s a real sense here that a young guy is going to learn and not be overlooked.”

-Darryl Devine, USPW superstar

“Slow but steady wins the race.”

-Aesop, Ancient Greek writer

USPW surprised the wrestling world by naming Stanley “The Weapon” Fletcher as the new Head Booker in the beginning of January, 2010.

Fletcher will also be working on-air for the promotion as the masked wrestler “The Weapon” in upcoming episodes of USPW American Wrestling.

Sam Strong released this statement on the appointment: “Stanley Fletcher has a lot of the old school values that we appreciate here in USPW. While he may not be a household name right now, he has been a consummate professional throughout his career, is extremely knowledgeable about and connected within the wrestling industry, and well-deserving of his new position as Head Booker. While we’re not looking to make major departures from our traditional style, I feel as if Stan will be able to help accelerate our growth by making sensible additions to the roster that may, at first glance, be outside of what might normally be considered a USPW talent. We’re at the precipice of an exciting new era in social media, and I have every confidence that Stan and his team will enhance USPW in exciting, new ways.”

Fletcher has reportedly been hard at work already, with rumored discussions with U-Demand about a new PPV agreement which would give fantastic exposure to USPW’s monthly supershows. U-Demand, of course, already carries Total Championship Wrestling PPVs and so there have been rumors of a working agreement brewing behind-the-scenes between USPW and TCW.

Fletcher’s first show in charge will be held this Wednesday at the Huntsville Fairgrounds (South East). If the lineup is any indication of how the booking is going to be long-term, it doesn’t appear that the USPW audience will be in for major changes, at least right away:

USPW American Wrestling - Huntsville Fairgrounds (South East)

(Pre-Show) The Force & Pete the Hillbilly vs. Giant Redwood & The Weapon

#1 Contenders Match: Savage Fury vs. The Towers of Power

National Championship: Captain USA vs. Peter Valentine ©

Women’s Championship: Raven Robinson © vs. Belle Bryden

Tag-Team Championship: The People’s Team © vs. Andre Jones & Darryl Devine

Chris Caulfield vs. Jumbo Jackson

Nicky Champion vs. Bruce the Giant

Enygma & James Justice vs. The Titans

(Pre-Show) The Force & Pete the Hillbilly vs. Giant Redwood & The Weapon Even in the dark match, The Weapon needs to start to get some wins.

I do like Savage Fury.

National Championship: Captain USA vs. © Peter Valentine

You don't lose the belt on the first show. Should be a good match.

As above. Belle will get the belt soon. Should be match of the night.

Tag-Team Championship: The People’s Team © vs. Andre Jones & Darryl Devine DD is very good.

Did not realize it was a championship match, failure to read. Hell with it, give the Belts to AJ and DD.

Caulfield is the man! Caulfield for prez!

One Chokeslam to rule them all.

Not sure who the Titans are offhand, but Enygma and JJ are you're top guys. Just checked on the Titans. That's a scary team. I still take JJ and Enygma.

Looking forward to this one. Always enjoy a good USPW diary!

---

A tough decision but it's Redwood over Pete.

The win is a shocker for most as almost everyone goes The People's Team versus The Towers Of Power to begin things.

In order to do something with Valentine, gotta keep his pop to a high level.

A close match but the champion retains.

Another big surprise of the night as Jones and Devine walk away with the USPW World Tag Team titles.

The Hardcore American gets the win over the top wrestler in the Sneer Corporation.

Bruce uses a little bit of cheating to get the win.

A tough match to choose here for obvious reasons. Giving The Titans the victory here and thinking that Enygma and Justice will get things back at the pay-per-view.

January 2010 Creative Meeting

At the beginning of each month we’ll take a look at the major players in USPW.

Franchise Players

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/gratefulcowboy/pw%20candle/BrucetheGiant.jpg

Bruce the Giant

James Justice

Enygma

Tyson Baine

Chris Caulfield

Next Big Thing

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/gratefulcowboy/pw%20candle/AliciaStrong.jpg

Alicia Strong

Hot Prospects

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/gratefulcowboy/pw%20candle/AliciaStrong.jpg

Alicia Strong

Darryl Devine

Des Davids

Andre Jones

Talk the Talk

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/gratefulcowboy/pw%20candle/BelleBryden.jpg

Belle Bryden

Alicia Strong

James Justice

Cherry Bomb

Captain USA

Show Stoppers

Alicia Strong

Enygma

Belle Bryden

James Justice

Chris Caulfield

Ring Generals

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/gratefulcowboy/pw%20candle/Liberty.jpg

James Justice

Enygma

Chris Caulfield

Belle Bryden

Freddie Datsun

Who’s Hot

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/gratefulcowboy/pw%20candle/TysonBaine.jpg

Tyson Baine

Enygma

Jumbo Jackson

T-Rex

Bruce the Giant

Who’s Not

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/gratefulcowboy/pw%20candle/DemonAnger.jpg

Anger

Captain USA

Alicia Strong

Belle Bryden

Andre Jones

Time Decline

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/gratefulcowboy/pw%20candle/CaptainUSA.jpg

Captain USA (terminal)

Anger (terminal)

Peter Valentine (terminal)

Bruce the Giant

Freddie Datsun

Hidden Gems

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/gratefulcowboy/pw%20candle/MarioHeroic.jpg

Mario Heroic

James Prudence

Joanne Rodriguez

Matthew Keith

Roger Cage

Comments: Alicia Strong is all over the place! It's probably a little surprising that three of the top five talkers in the fed are in the women's division. Only the champion, Raven Robinson, isn't on that list.

Monster heels taking up four of the five "Who's Hot" positions.

Chris Caulfield and The Force are the biggest names among a group of five workers whose contracts expire within the next three months.

Not much to note right now, there'll be more to say next month when we have this month to compare it to.

January 2010

Top 10 Feds, Targets & Owner Goals

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/gratefulcowboy/pw%20candle/2009-04-07-businessman.jpg

by Brint Williams – PW Candle Columnist

Importance

#1 SWF – International (90/A Prestige; 80/B Momentum)

#2 TCW – National (72/B- Prestige; 69/C+ Momentum)

#3 BHOTWG – National (90/A Prestige; 83/B Momentum)

#4 PGHW – Cult (75/B- Prestige; 59/C- Momentum)

#5 USPW - Cult (65/C Prestige; 82/B Momentum)

#6 NOTBPW – Cult (70/C+ Prestige; 80/B Momentum)

#7 CGC – Cult (72/B- Prestige; 71/C+ Momentum)

#8 SOTBPW – Cult (44/D Prestige; 77/B- Momentum)

#9 GCG – Regional (48/D+ Prestige; 52/D+ Momentum)

#10 WLW – Regional (40/D- Prestige; 50/D+ Momentum)

Influence

#1 SWF - International

#2 BHOTWG - National

#3 TCW - National

#4 PGHW - Cult

#5 CGC - Cult

#6 NOTBPW - Cult

#7 USPW - Cult

#8 OLLIE - Regional

#9 SOTBPW - Cult

#10 RAW – Regional

USPW Talent Targets

Randall Hopkirk

Man Mountain Cahill

Billy Jack Shearer

Sgt. Bubba Lee West

Fox Mask

Madman Boone

Danny Patterson

Roy Edison

Hell Monkey

Grimm Quibble

Jebediah

Island Boy Apollo

Ant-Man

Antix

Champagne Lover

That was, until Sam Strong stepped in with a revised list:

Sgt. Bubba Lee West

Roy Edison

Hell Monkey

Ant-Man

Antix

Champagne Lover

Workers on roster who fail new hiring rules:

Al the Hillbilly (42 stamina)

Anger (45 stamina)

Belle Bryden (48 toughness)

Bruce the Giant (40 stamina)

Captain USA (28 stamina; 52 toughness)

Enygma (48 toughness)

Giant Redwood (22 stamina)

Pete the Hillbilly (40 stamina)

Peter Valentine (42 stamina)

T-Rex (38 stamina)

Notes: What do Sam Strong's new hiring rules (53 Basics, Stamina & Toughness) say about what he thinks about the talent on the roster? His good friend Bruce the Giant and his best friend Peter Valentine, nevermind the reigning World Champion Enygma, and a USPW original in Giant Redwood, are all below the cut. Is this a signal that Strong wants to go in a new direction and clear out a lot of the old guard wrestlers that USPW has become known for in recent years? Is he going to try and use Stanley "The Weapon" Fletcher as the "bad guy" in negotiations while trying to salvage friendships with guys he's pushing out of his company? Will the workers improve enough to keep their jobs? A lot to be revealed in the coming months, and PW Candle will be here to bring it to you!

Anger (45 stamina)

Enygma (48 toughness)

T-Rex (38 stamina)

Those are some tough losses if you decide to give them up and not go against Strong. You gut your Women's Division as Belle is amazing in the ring and on the mic. The Hillbillies aren't a big lose as you can replace them with just about anyone, never liked the old hillibilly gimmick anyway.

Bruce, T-Rex, and Enygma are gonna be huge losses that you'll be hard pressed to make up for. I just can't see the USPW without Bruce or T-Rex. You are gonna have to make old Strong mad on a few of them.

Still, half the fun is following the owners goals and making the game your own.

That was, until Sam Strong stepped in with a revised list:

Sgt. Bubba Lee West

Roy Edison

Hell Monkey

Ant-Man

Antix

Champagne Lover

I never cared for Bubba but he can be usefull for you. He's got a good gimmick and your fans like that. I'm a little surprised that Strong likes Ant Man, i do myself so he'd be a nice addition.

You can't go wrong with Hell Monkey or Lover, both of them are incredible talents. Both have solid in ring skills and Lover is great in performance. They won't come cheap but if you listen to strong, you'll need them.

Still, there are good guys still out there in some of the smaller feds, Bulldozer Smith, Shawn Gonzales, Derril Devine and Mainstream Hernandez is still out there.

[quote=Purple Cowboy;1722488

Anger (45 stamina)

Enygma (48 toughness)

T-Rex (38 stamina)

of course it depends on how long those contracts are. I dont know if its fixed in the editor but in ym USPW game Enygma is on a 10+ year contract. get him up to A* pop and ride him all the way to national.

And havng an excuse to dump Redwood and Valentine is no real disaster.

I do however demand you push the Hillbillies. Any true USPW game hands them the belts early and often.

As for Sgt Bubba Lee West I've thought about bringing him in as a protege/opponent of Commissioner Doom. Poor Doom tends to get lost a bit and it would be a nice way to make him relevant. If only the Silencer and Desert Storm debuted a couple of years earlier too...

Thanks for the comments! I'm glad there's discussion I was hoping that's what would come of this.

Boltinho good call - I checked Enygma and he's got 107 months 3 weeks left on his deal so I guess i don't have to worry about him.

The Hillbillys will be interesting. Al is on for another 20 months but Pete only has 10 left. No way I'll be able to get Pete's stamina up that much in 10 months (I don't think). Maybe I can do something with them in the next 10 months to get them some pop (I think Al is at "10" momentum right now or something crazy) and then dump it back off on someone before Pete leaves.

Timber - I think since Ant-Man passed the three categories (Toughness, Basics, Stamina) that he's OK for hire. I was looking through and thank goodness Strong didn't pull psychology as a hiring rule or I'd be in even bigger trouble.

Sgt. Bubba I can tell you now since I can't hire Painful Procedure, was going to take over Painful Procedure and make them a military-themed stable. Now I may not even sign him or wait until I've got a decent way or program to get him over.

USPW American Wrestling

USPW American Wrestling

Live Event Coverage!

January 2010, Week 1, Wednesday

Huntsville Fairgrounds (South East); 5000 attendance (SELL OUT!)

Prior to the show going on the air we saw the in-ring debut of The Weapon as he teamed with Giant Redwood against The Force and Pete the Hillbilly. The match followed this pattern – Force would get the upper hand, tag in Pete for some comedy offense, the heel would get the upper hand, Pete would hot tag, repeat. 8 long minutes of this. Redwood was exhausted by the end, but ended up getting the pin on Pete. The Weapon came out of the match looking pretty good. (48/D+)

The show began with a very quick angle backstage where The Towers of Power confronted Andre Jones & Darryl Devine and offered them protection in their tag title match later in the show if Jones & Devine would return the favor in the Towers’ #1 contenders match against Savage Fury. Jones & Devine agreed.

#1 Contenders Match to the USPW World Tag-Team Championship

Savage Fury vs. The Towers of Power

Savage Fury had the upper hand for most of the match, but Andre Jones and Darryl Devine came down to the ring after about 5 minutes and clocked Tribal Warrior on the outside. When the ref went to check on Warrior, Jones & Devine entered the ring and laid out Java. As the ref recovered, Mick Muscles hit a Bulldozer Powerbomb on Java and pinned him at 6:01 for the win. Muscles and Danny Rushmore grinned widely and pointed to Jones & Devine but stopped short of thanking them. (51/D+)

USPW National Championship

Captain USA vs. Peter Valentine ©

The ring entrance for Captain USA was ridiculous. All of this jabber about it being a brand new year and a brand new opportunity for the United States to reclaim its greatness in the world. That is, until Peter Valentine came to the ring obsessively pointing to the National Championship belt around his waist. Not much to this match except maybe that the combined ages of the two men in the ring was 97. Valentine eventually got a tainted win over Captain USA to defend the belt at 5:46 after using the ropes for leverage. (43/D)

USPW Women’s Championship

Raven Robinson © vs. Belle Bryden

A great, open match here with Robinson catching Bryden with a surprise roll up at 5:33 for the victory and first title defense. In all, it seemed like a nice way for USPW to set the tone for the year in the women’s division by offering a match of this quality. (60/C)

USPW World Tag-Team Championship

The People’s Team © vs. Andre Jones & Darryl Devine

Pretty much all match you saw either Jones or Devine looking toward the back waiting for either Mick Muscles or Danny Rushmore (or both) to come out and return the favor as they promised. But The Towers of Power were MIA and the upstarts were eventually no match for the champions, as Freddie Datsun pinned Jones at 5:55 after a Patriot Press. After the match Freddie said he was really proud to be an American. (46/D)

Sam Strong came out and said that change is in the air. He continued that there will be exciting times of growth ahead for USPW in 2010 and he hoped everyone out there in the United States, and especially in the South East - USPW's home region - will be proud. He said he really loves America, especially North America, and the United States part of North America in particular. The cheers increased to a fevered pitch and some fans broke out into the national anthem. It quickly turned as Jumbo Jackson and Giant Redwood came out. Redwood said the old guard isn’t going anywhere and then crossed his arms menacingly. Jackson told Strong he doesn’t have to go and make big changes, the talent he needs is standing right in front of him. Jackson finished the segment by saying he was going to prove it next in his match against Chris Caulfield.

“The Hardcore American” Chris Caulfield tried to make the match a brawl which was just fine for Jumbo Jackson. The two had a decent, if predictable match in terms of in-ring action, and Jackson ended up with the victory at 9:31 after his Sneer Corporation ally Anger came to ringside and clocked Caulfield while the ref wasn’t looking. Jackson took advantage and hit a Jumbo Avalanche for the win. (59/C-)

After the match a deflated and dazed Chris Caulfield was walking through the back to get to the locker room. Tyson Baine appeared from around a corner and immediately shoved Caulfield into the wall. The violence of the attack caused Caulfield to crumple to the ground and Baine paid no attention as he walked on.

The crowd finally jumped a bit at this match, as Nicky and Bruce seemed to have pretty good chemistry and it led to good action throughout. Bruce was visibly tiring at the end when he pulled what appeared to be brass knuckles from his trunks and clocked Nicky Champion into next week with a blow that the Giant obscured from the referee with his massive frame. Bruce the Giant gains the win at 10:01. (65/C)

MAIN EVENT!

Sheik Mustafa led his men Tyson Baine & T-Rex to the ring to some decent heat and continuously whispered instructions to “The Jurassic Power.” Enygma and Justice received a great pop from the crowd and looked confident going into the contest. In the end, it was T-Rex using some sort of invisible cord passed to him by Shiek Mustafa on Enygma while in a sleeper hold to shield it from the ref causing the World Champion to pass out and lose via submission at 10:24. Not a great match, I actually think the previous bout was a better match, but the star power of the main event carried the day. (67/C+)

After the match Tyson Baine & T-Rex exited the ring and started toward the back while James Justice tried to revive Eygma and get the champ back on his feet. After some struggle Justice began to help walk Enygma down the rampway to the back, only to encounter T-Rex standing in the way with a crazed expression on his face. An alarmed Justice held up an arm as if to say “come on, guy, cut us some slack” and T-Rex just laughed manically as the program went off the air.

Overall: 69/C+

Notes: The angles helped. A lot.

Nice Show bud, USPW is one of my favs next to NYCW, Shame about PFP not being able to fit in with your goals but thats half the challenge, and if your anything like me you already have a box siting next to Petes locker for his depature. :p Cant say I ever tryed Ant in USPW could be intresting is Problem inside of your owners or he out as well.

Week 1 Prediction Results

Thank you for the predictions. Here's how week 1 turned out:

ChrisKid 6/8

angeldelayette 5/8

Timber 4/8

The big surprise was Jumbo Jackson getting the tainted win over Chris Caulfield. I (I meaning me, not a PW Candle writer ;) ) was highly tempted to throw the belts onto AJ & Devine but didn't want Jones with two belts at the moment. I think they still need to pay some dues as a team, but I'm thinking a short feeling-out period where they have mixed results before they get it together and go on a run.

Week 2, January 2010

USPW REPORT - WEEK 2, JANUARY 2010

By Brint Williams - PW Candle Columnist

“People here can say or try to do whatever they like. They’re going to have to go through me, though, one way or another.”

-T-Rex, USPW Superstar

“There wasn’t one clean finish last week, I don’t believe. That’s going to change if I have anything to say about it.”

-Commissioner Doom, USPW Commissioner/General Manager

“National honor is national property of the highest value.”

-James Monore, 5th President of the United States

A highly patriotic turn-of-year show for USPW to kick off 2010, and as you can see from Commissioner Doom’s statement above issued shortly after last week’s episode of American Wrestling, not one without controversy.

First, USPW made some big news this week with the signings of Queen Emily and Champagne Lover to written contracts. The deals are both believed to be in the neighborhood of a year-and-a-half long so USPW fans should have some exciting things to look forward to from Lover especially. The hot rumor is that Lover will debut in some capacity on the next episode of American Wrestling. Queen Emily is thought to be joining the announce team as an additional commentator.

USPW also signed on to a 6-month PPV deal with U-Demand, and finalized a formal working agreement with U-Demand’s other pro wrestling client, Total Championship Wrestling. Even though the ink on the agreement isn’t even dry, there are already online rumors of a talent trade in the works involving Wolf Hawkins for either Chris Caulfield or James Justice.

The next American Wrestling features the first USPW World title defense for Enygma. The opponent hasn’t been named but there are a number of big heel wrestlers not yet booked: Tyson Baine, Peter Valentine, and The Weapon just to name a few. I like that they threw a bunch of title matches at us last week, but held back the world title so that it could be its own event this week.

This week they are showcasing the world title as it’s the only belt on the line on the card (remind me next week if we still haven’t seen a TV title defense). I think it’s good booking and should be a place where we see Enygma go over to solidify the idea of him as World Champion, especially since he was the one who tapped in last week’s tag match against The Titans. So I doubt we’d see Baine as the opponent as they’ll want to save that for the PPV.

Some notes about the upcoming show… Chris Caulfield will face the man who cost him his match last week against Jumbo Jackson when he squares off against Anger. Jackson meanwhile looks to capitalize on some momentum against the wily Captain USA. Nicky Champion gets an instant rematch with Bruce the Giant after Bruce used brass knuckles on him to get the victory last week.

USPW American Wrestling - Huntsville Fairgrounds (South East)

The Hillbillys vs. Andre Jones & Darryl Devine

Captain USA vs. Jumbo Jackson

Chris Caulfield vs. Anger

Alicia Strong vs. Cherry Bomb

The Force vs. T-Rex

USPW World Championship: Enygma © vs. ?

(bonus: Enygma's opponent is...)

The Force vs. T-Rex

(bonus: Enygma's opponent is... T-Rex yeah I know he is already booked:))

Nice Show bud, USPW is one of my favs next to NYCW, Shame about PFP not being able to fit in with your goals but thats half the challenge, and if your anything like me you already have a box siting next to Petes locker for his depature. :p Cant say I ever tryed Ant in USPW could be intresting is Problem inside of your owners or he out as well.

Thanks, and yup, Problem is out as he only has 34 stamina. But the goal is for one year so maybe after that we'll have another look.

Antix and Ant-Man if I bring them in are going to be forming Trouble at the Picnic and be pushed to the moon!

The Force vs. T-Rex

(bonus: Enygma's opponent is...Wolf Hawkins)

<p>Candlelight Chat with USPW Owner Sam Strong!</p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/gratefulcowboy/pw%20candle/cooltext585139509.jpg</span><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="font-size:12px;">PW Candle presents...</span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/gratefulcowboy/pw%20candle/BurningCandle.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>...a Candlelight Chat with...</strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/gratefulcowboy/pw%20candle/SamStrong.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>SAM STRONG!</strong></span></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>PW Candle:</strong> Sam Strong, welcome to the first PW Candle Candlelight Chat of 2010! </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Sam Strong:</strong> <em>Thanks. Always nice to check back in with you guys, despite what you write about USPW!</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>PWC:</strong> We'll let that one slide and ask - Sam, in a business where you've been pretty successful in carving a small piece of the pie away from the big two wrestling promotions, you've altered the course suddenly by bringing in a new Head Booker. Can you explain some of the thinking behind replacing Shane Sneer with Stanley Fletcher?</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Strong:</strong> <em>I wouldn't say I've "altered" any course. We're not planning any earth-shattering departures from the norm, at least not while I'm around. This company has been growing ever since it was first founded in 2001 by following a specific formula and I think that says something. When I came on board 3½ years ago the company started to grow again. That was a change, but not changing any course. I felt that it was time for us to bring in some fresh ideas and make sure that USPW will be in a strong position for years to come.</em> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>PWC:</strong> How about Stanley Fletcher?</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Strong:</strong> <em>Right, so I sought out Stan. For a 32-year old, Stan is the kind of guy I remember wrestling when I was first starting out. Just a solid, rugged guy that can mix it up or grind one out. I had seen him around at some independent shows, and when you get to talking to him you get the idea that this is one of the real bright young guys in the business. </em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>PWC:</strong> What are you looking for from Fletcher as the booker?</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Strong:</strong> <em>Well, I kind of came up with some hiring guidelines that I'd like him to follow. I never thought it would turn into an issue that actually was written about or talked about on the internet but there you go. </em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>PWC:</strong> Well, to be honest, it sounded like you were getting ready to gut some cornerstones of the roster. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Strong:</strong> <em>Again, I'm not looking for Stan to re-invent the wheel. Nor are we, and I know this is going to look horrible in print, but we're not going to cater to the lowest common denominator. We're...</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>PWC:</strong> Sorry to interrupt, but one of the main criticisms of USPW right now is that you already are catering to the lowest common denominator. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Strong:</strong> <em>I get so tired of having to say this. We've got a nostalgia audience. And we've got a young audience. We don't have the glitz of SWF or some big names like TCW. We've got what we do best - and that's wrestling, the right way. </em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>PWC:</strong> What does that mean, exactly?</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Strong:</strong> <em>I feel like we put on a good USPW show if the fans go home entertained, feeling good about being an American, and taking some heart in the fact that if their hero didn't win today, there's a good chance he or she is going to be able to turn the tide and eventually prevail. If we don't get those things across then I don't think we're doing things the right way. To get back to your earlier question, though, Stan has this sensibility. I'm looking for him to bring that to the table as Head Booker, but with his 32-year old eyes he may have some ideas that USPW hasn't considered in the past.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>PWC:</strong> Ideas like what?</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Strong:</strong> <em>Well, without giving anything away, let's use an example of the sort of thing I'm talking about here. This isn't specific, nor are we planning it. But, what about debuting someone in the Main Event? USPW is a "pay your dues" kind of place. What would it do to the dynamic of the fed? How would the fans react? Would it fire up the locker room? I think that Shane and I just got too comfortable with what we were doing, and I wanted to shake things up a bit here. </em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>PWC:</strong> How do you react to the suggestion that this might be your last big move in pro wrestling?</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Strong:</strong> <em>You're not getting any retirement exclusives from me here today! (laughs) </em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>PWC:</strong> How active do you plan on being this coming year?</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Strong:</strong> <em>I think that for the foreseeable future you're going to be seeing me on USPW American Wrestling, check local listings, regularly. I don't think I'm ever getting back into a ring to wrestle, though. I'm 63, I love this business, but at some point you do have to think about winding down and enjoying some time with your biological family, not just your wrestling family.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>PWC:</strong> Well, interestingly for you, your daughter Alicia is in USPW! </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Strong:</strong> <em>Well I didn't think of that! (laughs) I'm really proud of Alicia, she's come a long way and she really is a great talent despite her last name! (laughs again) I'm glad that she'll be able to continue to improve herself and I think Stan has mentioned that he wants to expand the women's division by at least two more competitors in the near future.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>PWC:</strong> Any other plans you want to let us in on?</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Strong:</strong> <em>We might be bringing in a brand new tag-team. And an established tag-team. So, two new teams.</em> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>PWC:</strong> Will there be more of a focus on tag wrestling in 2010? </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Strong:</strong> <em>I hope so. I've always been a fan. So is Stan.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>PWC:</strong> I know your time is limited today so I want to thank you for appearing, and hopefully we can chat again this summer around Americana! or Independence Day Slam!</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Strong:</strong> <em>That's it? (laughs) Well, thanks guys I do appreciate the coverage, even if candlelight chats are creepy, and I'll be glad to do it again. In the meantime you should get Stan on here!</em></p>

USPW American Wrestling!

USPW American Wrestling

Live Event Coverage!

January 2010, Week 2, Wednesday

Huntsville Fairgrounds (South East); 5000 attendance (SELL OUT!)

Everyone looked around to see if the cameras were rolling or not, but they weren’t as James Justice’s music hit for a pre-show match against The Weapon. Some good action in this one and just a confused crowd as to why this match wasn’t on the main card. Justice picks up the victory at 7:40 after a Liberation Slam. (63/C)

More terrible booking as Tyson Baine used a Hades Bomb on Freddie Datsun at 8:25 in a good match with good action and a crowd that had forgotten that the show wasn’t on the air yet. This match was almost as good as anything we saw on the air last week, and sadly it will never see the light of day. (65/C)

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/gratefulcowboy/pw%20candle/USPW.jpg

The show opened with Commissioner Doom confirming what Sam Strong had said last week: that change is in the air. Doom said that tonight, USPW World Champion Enygma would square off in the Main Event against USPW’s newest superstar, straight from the movie studio lots in Hollywood, California, “Luscious” Larry Lawrence! The crowd didn’t know what to make of the announcement. The Commissioner also said that he noticed a lot of cheating last week, and that while he himself may have a bit of a mean streak, even he realizes it’s just not the American Way. The brief segment ended with Doom saying he was going to keep a close eye on everyone tonight.

More than anything, this match was used to introduce viewers to the new announce team. Danny Jillefski and Shane Sneer welcomed 36-year old Queen Emily to the booth with open arms and asked her what she had been up to for the last couple of years. Emily said she was happy to be there, and the three-headed heel announce crew briefly put over Andre Jones and Darryl Devine before Jones hit a Blast from the Past on Al the Hillbilly for the victory at 5:36. If you did pay attention to the in-ring action, this one was much worse than anything on the pre-show. Jillefski and Emily seemed to have pretty good chemistry calling matches, and that makes me wonder if that means Sneer is on his way to being a manager-only so they can bring in a face announcer. I can’t see how three heel announcers can work long-term. (45/D)

It was a toned down entrance for the Captain this week after a humbling loss to Peter Valentine on the last episode of American Wrestling. Didn’t seem to matter much, though, as Jumbo Jackson steamrolled Captain USA and got the pin at 6:01 after a Jumbo Avalanche. Jackson stayed at ringside after the match to consult with Shane Sneer and offer his support for the next match. (50/D+)

Some decent action in this matchup and it all came fast and furious. Of course with Jumbo Jackson still at ringside you knew he would get involved at some point, and he did when he attacked Chris Caulfield while Shane Sneer had the ref distracted. Anger took too long getting ref Baby Jamie to pay attention to his cover, and Caulfield kicked out, seized momentum and hit a Danger Drop at 6:15 for the win. Jackson and Anger quickly retreated to the back together while Caulfield celebrated. Seemed like a lot squeezed into 6 minutes, but it worked fine. (54/C-)

The first match of 2010 for both women, and surprisingly Strong and Cherry Bomb didn’t seem to click at all. Some good action here but hardly any heat as Alicia Strong goes over at 5:57 after an Angel Driver. The feeling you got at the Fairgrounds was that this one was pretty disappointing all-around, not just for the match but for the future of the women’s division. (49/D+)

The Force vs.T-Rex

This was a straight-up mauling from start to finish. Force looked a bit off his game, maybe T-Rex hurt him at some point during the match. Rex dished out so much punishment that he was visibly tiring at the end when, in what seemed like clear view of ref Baby Jamie, pulled out a foreign object and dropped Force before applying the Jurassic Crush that Force immediately tapped to at 9:33. A T-Rex push is now obviously on but in this match there was only an average reaction from the live crowd. (53/D+)

Sam Strong came out and said he was going to introduce USPW’s newest superstar – “Luscious” Larry Lawrence. Just as the USPW owner looked to the back, T-Rex’s music began playing and “The Jurassic Power” again emerged from behind the curtain. Rex asked if Strong witnessed what had just happened in the ring. Strong said no, he was busy with Larry Lawrence in the back. Rex said that he was going to stay out there because he wanted to meet this so-called movie star.

A red carpet was rolled out from the back and out walked Larry Lawrence to virtually no reaction. You could see Rex smirking at this for a moment before they wisely cut away from him. Lawrence entered the ring and grabbed a microphone. In a thick Mexican accent, he said that he was proud to be one of the biggest American moviestars of the new millennium. The crowd had no idea what he was talking about and began to boo. Lawrence said it had been a long journey for him from his humble beginnings on the family farm in the Midwest to the fast life of Hollywood, but that he’s so proud that he had worked hard and had become the living embodiment of the American Dream. Lawrence got a lot of heat and the crowd reacted with an obligatory “U-S-A!” chant, not buying for a second that Lawrence is American. T-Rex didn’t know what to make of the scene and so threw up his hands and walked to the back. Sam Strong actually followed suit. Lawrence said that he would easily beat Enygma for the USPW World title later in the show and that he’d have more details on his latest movie next week.

This match was almost an exact recreation of their match last week, down to the brass knuckles used by Bruce on Nicky just around the 10-minute mark for the pin at 10:09. I have to admit I don’t understand the point, but at least this one was as good as the dark matches. An overall criticism having seen these guys for two weeks in a row is that if they're going to keep going 10 minutes, they’ve got to sell more for each other. (64/C)

MAIN EVENT!

USPW World Championship

Enygma © vs. “Luscious” Larry Lawrence

The first match of 2010 to drift past the 15-minute mark, as Larry Lawrence and Enygma put on a good match with strong action until Lawrence submitted to the Enygma Variation at 15:37. Good pacing to this match with a nice slow-build helped contribute to the overall feel, and while it was a pretty open contest there was no doubt who the champion was at the end. A nice rub for Lawrence in his USPW debut, he shows he can certainly work and I'm interested to see if he stays in the Main Event or if he’s going to be dropped down the card until he gets more over.

After the match Enygma is shown getting to the locker room and being congratulated by James Justice who is on his way out. As Enygma enters, though, he is suddenly grabbed by the throat and thrust against the lockers by Tyson Baine. Baine says that Enygma should watch his back because both members of The Titans are coming after him, and won’t stop until the USPW World Championship belonged to one of them. Baine asked Enygma if he had anything to say and released the champion’s neck. Enygma gasped for air and Baine said “didn’t think so” as the show went off the air.

Overall: 72/B-

Notes: Still can’t get over the fact that this could have been a really fantastic show if the dark matches had been swapped with some of the bouts that made it onto TV. Probably time for USPW to come up with a name for the Andre Jones/Darryl Devine tag-team. I'm surprised they haven't done it yet as all indications are that the pair are going to be a regular team. As I mentioned above, I didn’t understand Nicky Champion and Bruce the Giant essentially doing the same exact match for the second straight week, especially since Bruce is supposedly feuding with Chris Caulfield (something we've heard nothing about so far in 2010). That's one match they could have saved until later down the line. Still, the show is getting great feedback and drawing praise from the USPW audience. Will be interesting to see what the ratings look like. Women's division may have taken a little hit tonight, and while having three heel announcers was fun because it's unusual, that can't be the permanent plan.

I like the format of this one, but I just had to ask: who're The Weapon and Larry Lawrence? I'm guessing Lawrence is added, but The Weapon sounds vaguely familiar and I can't place him.

other than that, I'm liking this one. You haven't done anything really earth-skaing, but I almost prefer this kind of solid, consistently interesting stuff to really daring or unusual storylines: you always know with this dynasty that you'll get something interesting, rather than trying something that just loses me.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="1PWfan" data-cite="1PWfan" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="32554" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I like the format of this one, but I just had to ask: who're The Weapon and Larry Lawrence? I'm guessing Lawrence is added, but The Weapon sounds vaguely familiar and I can't place him.<p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The Weapon is his user character and I'd be fairly sure from the hints in that show that Lawrence is Champagne Lover</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="1PWfan" data-cite="1PWfan" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="32554" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I like the format of this one, but I just had to ask: who're The Weapon and Larry Lawrence? I'm guessing Lawrence is added, but The Weapon sounds vaguely familiar and I can't place him.<p> </p><p> other than that, I'm liking this one. You haven't done anything really earth-skaing, but I almost prefer this kind of solid, consistently interesting stuff to really daring or unusual storylines: you always know with this dynasty that you'll get something interesting, rather than trying something that just loses me.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Thank you! As long as Strong is still the owner I'm not going to deviate too far from what you might expect from USPW as long as there's still growth. It will be nice to try some new things but also stay within the context of what's been making USPW a successful, rising company. </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Rob4590" data-cite="Rob4590" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="32554" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The Weapon is his user character and I'd be fairly sure from the hints in that show that Lawrence is Champagne Lover</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yup, this is right. Weapon is Masked Avatar & Lawrence is Champagne Lover pretending, badly on purpose, to be an American movie star. </p><p> </p><p> Lawrence had some nice popularity gains from his appearances, too. Was 29 throughout the US going into the show and from his debut has jumped to 38 in Tri State & Mid Atlantic, 37 in New England, 36 in Mid West, North West & South East. Lowest gain was from 29 to 31 in Hawaii.</p>

January Week 2 Prediction Results

JANUARY 2010 RESULTS:

WEEK 2

ChrisKid 7/7

NewZealandfan 6/7

WEEK 1

ChrisKid 6/8

angeldelayette 5/8

Timber 4/8

Notes: Pretty standard week in Week 2 as things start to build for Stars, Stripes and Slams! at the end of the month. Thanks again for the predictions. I figure we could do monthly (in-game) prediction champions and offer something to each monthly winner, and then something bigger to the yearly winner. Maybe the monthly winner can "pick-a-push" for a worker on the roster or recommend a signing or feud or somesuch. Or write a guest column for the Candle. Whatever, within reason.

<p>Week 3, January 2010</p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/gratefulcowboy/pw%20candle/PWCandle.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>USPW REPORT - WEEK 3, JANUARY 2010</strong></p><p>

<span style="font-size:8px;">By </span><span style="font-size:8px;"><strong><em>Brint Williams</em></strong></span><span style="font-size:8px;"> - PW Candle Columnist</span></p><p>

<span>http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/gratefulcowboy/pw%20candle/2009-04-07-businessman.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p>

<em>“I’m not happy about it, and I let it be known backstage. I’m the USPW National Champion. I should be on TV every week.”</em></p><p>

-<strong>Peter Valentine</strong>, USPW National Champion, on not appearing on the last episode of American Wrestling. </p><p> </p><p>

<em>“Things are off on a good foot. I didn’t really think of myself as a tag-team wrestler but Darryl is making things easy.”</em></p><p>

-<strong>Andre Jones</strong>, USPW TV Champion, on his tag-team with Darryl Devine </p><p> </p><p>

<em>“It is not strange to mistake change for progress.”</em></p><p>

-<strong>Millard Fillmore</strong>, 13th President of the United States</p><p> </p><p>

____________________________________</p><p> </p><p>

Heading into the third week of January USPW looks to build on a couple of solid shows to open 2010. Last week’s <em>American Wrestling</em> popped a 1.48 rating on Sports America, up from 1.33 the week before. As I stated in the live match report, the show could have been even better if they had re-arranged some of the booking but at first glance the <strong>Stanley “The Weapon” Fletcher</strong> era seems to be beginning on stable footing. This is a bad week for <strong>Peter Valentine</strong> to be complaining about anything when the company jumped from a 1.3 to a 1.5 without him on the card. </p><p> </p><p>

The debut of <strong>Champagne Lover</strong> as <strong>“Luscious” Larry Lawrence</strong> has been dominating the online USPW chatter this week. A really strong match against <strong>Enygma</strong> in the Main Event – quite a place for a debut – has everyone wondering how he’ll be used this week. He almost seems like a comedy act but his Mexican-pretending-to-be-an-American gimmick is sure to gain heat with the USPW audience and there’s already a small but vocal minority of fans backing Lawrence and wanting him to somehow take the National title off of Valentine. </p><p> </p><p>

You would suspect that after the way <em>American Wrestling</em> opened last week that <strong>Commissioner Doom</strong> will be out there again this week with notes about what he observed. Mainly – more cheating from <strong>The Sneer Corporation</strong>, <strong>T-Rex</strong> and <strong>Bruce the Giant</strong>. Even though Doom is essentially a heel he came across as if he has some sort of convoluted code of honor. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Doom try to “liquidate” TSC and target and enlist the help of an outsider like <strong>Sgt. Bubba Lee West</strong> to do his dirty work and clean up some of the cheating. Doom essentially playing an anti-hero role as an authority figure right now. </p><p> </p><p>

Speaking of potential signings, there are rumors that USPW has offered contracts to <strong>Joanne Rodriguez</strong>, <strong>Tamara McFly</strong>, and <strong>Zoe Ammis</strong> to bolster the women’s division. Rodriguez would likely be introduced as some sort of accessory to Champagne Lover’s “Luscious” Larry Lawrence persona, while the courtship of Tamara McFly has some in the industry buzzing that this might be a long-term play to eventually bring <strong>Sean McFly </strong>to USPW. Ammis will likely be the designated jobber to the likes of <strong>Raven Robinson</strong> and <strong>Alicia Strong</strong>. </p><p> </p><p>

The talent trade between USPW and Total Championship Wrestling has been confirmed, and as rumored <strong>Wolf Hawkins</strong> will be the one coming to USPW. <strong>Chris Caulfield</strong> will be filling the commitment to TCW. The deal is for three appearances, and Hawkins is set to debut in the Main Event of <em>American Wrestling</em> against USPW World Champion Enygma this week. </p><p> </p><p>

Only a few matches announced for next week, including an interesting contest between Chris Caulfield and the man who unsuccessfully interfered with his match last week, <strong>Jumbo Jackson</strong>. Jackson, unbeaten in 2010, looks to keep the streak alive and insert himself into the Main Event discussion. </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="text-decoration:underline;"><strong>USPW American Wrestling - Huntsville Fairgrounds (South East)</strong></span></p><p>

USPW World Tag-Team Championship: The People’s Team © vs. ?</p><p>

The Force vs. Bruce the Giant</p><p>

Chris Caulfield vs. Jumbo Jackson</p><p>

Enygma vs. Wolf Hawkins</p>

Archived