[C-VERSE '77] WIW: Hawaiian Thunder

In Hawaii, there’s one name that stands above all others in wrestling. Well, two if you count ‘Malietoa’, but he’s Samoan so it’s a whole different ballgame and anyway, that’s totally not my point. The other name, and the other that I’m actually talking about here, is Kuhaulua. And I think they’d probably be way bigger names in all of wrestling if it were easier to pronounce. I mean, how does it go? ‘Ku-HA-lwa’? ‘Ku-ha-LWA’? ‘Koo-ha-LU-a’? ‘Koo-HOW-lu-a’? There’s like four hundred different versions of their name, which doesn’t help, I mean Sam Strong’s a big name because everyone knows how to say it, they can go ‘hey, there’s Sam Strong!’ whereas when ‘Kana or Ioei go by, all they can say ‘look, there’s those guys from Hawaii’- I can see why their dad went with Kai, at least that’s half the battle won, right?

Anyway, I’m getting off the point, which is that the Kuhaulua’s are the big deal in Hawaiian wrestling. Kai, ‘Kana, Makaio, Ioei- there are four of them, and in any given Welcome to the Islands Wrestling show, at least two of them are in the main event (I did mention that the promotion in Hawaii is called Welcome to the Islands Wrestling, right? It’s kind of an important deal, after all, how else are you gonna know what show to go to, other than the fact that it’s the only show on the island, which I suppose would help and I’m getting distracted again, aren’t I?). And then there’s me- little ol’ Brian Love, Ioei’s best friend for I don’t know how long (15 years) and Kai Kuhaulua’s other protégé, the one with the name you can actually pronounce. Not that I want to sound catty or anything, but you can’t really mispronounce Brian or Love, can you? You could maybe pronounce it ‘Breanne Lauve’ or something, but that would just be stupid, right?

Back on track, the story of relationship with the Kuhaulua’s is a long and complicated one, and goes back many, many years (15) to my early adolescence, when little Brian Love (okay, so my real name is actually Brian Pillman, but c’mon, who gets over with a name like that?) moved to Hawaii with his mom in the wake of an awful lot of really dull personal drama that I avoided by hanging out at the beach in Anaheim (did I switch pronouns there? I think I did). Anyway, once I wound up in Hawaii I was back on the beaches- it’s kinda my thing- and along the way I met one Ioei Kuhaulua, son of the legendary Kai Kuhaulua. Well, legendary to everyone else, I hadn’t been on the Island long at that point, but you get the gist. In any case, Ioei and me clicked right from day one, thanks to a shared love of the surf and all that kinda stuff, and when he mentioned that he was gonna become a wrestler, well what was I gonna do but sign up right alongside him? It sounded like fun, and a guy who’s letterman in track and basketball doesn’t have a whole lot of other options- how many jobs require you to run and/or jump really well? So yeah, I trained to be a wrestler, sat at the feet of Kai Kuhaulua and learned all the secrets of…well, how to wrestle, and there’s basically like three. Always sell your opponent’s offence, always have more than three moves you can do, and never be a d*ck in the locker room. All lessons I’ve learnt well, or at least I like to think I have.

And now…well, let’s just cut to scene and take it from there, huh?

It would’ve been Boxing Day ’76 when the big offer went down. Me and mom always go over to the Kuhaulua’s for their big boxing day party, it’s kind of a family plus friends thing and like I said, I’ve been friends with Ioei for longer than I can remember (15 years). There’s this huge meal, all kinds of weird tropical food and pizza with pineapple on it (though I do like that, that’s a good idea), and then afterwards we usually take it easy, watch a couple of the big Christmas Specials on the TV and then me and Ioei hit up the surf until dinner (Chez Kuhaulua is right on the beach, it’s totally awesome).

This time, though, right around the time me Ioei hit up the beach ‘Kana and Kai pulled me aside, said they wanted a quiet word with me.

“Listen, Brian, how long have you been working for WIW?”

“Honestly Kai? You’d know better than me, I just turn up and do my job every month. But I’d guess maybe seven, eight years? I don’t know, like I said I just do my job”

“A bit more than that, I think. Look, Brian, I’ll be straight with you- I want you to take over the booking from Nakana”

It’s one of those odd things- Kai always calls his kids by their full names, it’s always Nakana and Makaio and Ioei. Of course, at that point I wasn’t thinking about Kai’s way with names, I was pretty much reeling from the shock.

“You’re kidding, right? I mean, c’mon Kai, there’s gotta be someone else who can take the job on. And why would ‘Kana stop running the book anyway? It’s not like he’s doing a bad job, right?”

Of course it was at that point that ‘Kana finally spoke up- he has this weird way of disappearing into the background so you forget he’s there. It’s really creepy, and not to be attempted on men of a sensitive disposition.

“I want to give Japan a proper try again, and I can’t do that if I’m devoting all my time to sorting out the company’s booking. I don’t plan on leaving, don’t worry about that, but we need someone we can trust in the booking role. Maybe we could hand over the job to Joey, but do you really see him as someone we can rely on?”

‘Kana definitely had a point there. Joey Margarita, our resident colour man, has a good eye for the business but he’s not called ‘margarita’ for nothing: the guy puts them away like nobody else on the island, so he’s not what you’d call a reliable employee, especially not for something as valuable as the booking role.

“Okay, so maybe we can’t go with the Margarita man in the chair. But come on, man, I’m not the guy you put in charge, I’m the kid who sits at the back of the classroom goofing off and dodging the hard work. I’m not…I’m WIW for life, man, you know that, but this is not me”

“You’re a good man, Brian, and a real friend, but you’re so full of sh*t it’s a miracle you can breath some days”

Definitely not something you generally expect to hear from Nakana Kuhaulua- the man swears like twice a year or something.

“I’ve worked this promotion the whole time you’ve been here and I can honestly say that I’ve never seen anybody work as hard as you do. Most guys turn up for the show, get changed and give as good a match as they can. You arrive two hours before everyone else, make sure everything’s set up and then spend the rest of your time running around helping Kai and me set up the matches. That job you’re doing right now, for free? That’s basically the booking job. And don’t mention all the creative stuff, I’ve already got the January show basically worked out and it’s not exactly difficult to book our shows. Put wrestler A against wrestler B, make sure you’re not doing anything stupid with the storylines and don’t go filling the shows with talking. Keep it simple, keep it snappy and make sure I’m in the main event, right?”

“Sure, ‘Kana, it’s gonna be you and Ioei vs. Mak ‘til the end of time”

It really isn’t, but even Nakana Kuhaulua knows that. He talks like the worst kind of arrogant superstar, but there’s not a Kuhaulua who really thinks like that.

At least, I hope so- it’s gonna make my life a lot harder if I have to control three giant ego’s as well as having to figure out how to book these shows…

Oh, didn’t I mention I accepted his offer? Well, I totally did. Booking WIW? It’s gonna be one heck of an adventure.

Card for WIW Island Classic

FOR THE WIW HAWAIIAN CHAMPIONSHIP

Ioei Kuhaulua © vs. Alasi Tua

Brian Love vs. Makaio Kuhaulua

Nakana Kuhaulua vs. Eruption

The Polynesian Express (Mano Keanu & Unutola Tomalu) vs. Tatsunori Ine & Z-Man

Tito Bumfhole vs. Beast Takuma

Kikuma Honma vs. Dai Shunichi

paying BIG attention sir. Nice to see you back.

I know you dont like it - but some pics to get started might be good here. Im not AT ALL familiar with the roster...

For now Im going for any Kuhaulua

Almost any. Eruption sounds like a monster

named team

Daddy B has to get involed

total guess

paying BIG attention sir. Nice to see you back.

I know you dont like it - but some pics to get started might be good here. Im not AT ALL familiar with the roster...

After the show I'll be putting up a roster review with pics- the reason I go straight into a show here is that WIW have a Friday, week 1 slot that I didn't want to change

I had a WIW Diary, my only successful diary. Weren't you one of my readers?

Team up Ine and Beast. I got the Rising Suns alts if you want them

Actually, 'nick, the alts would be grand- I needed something to do with those two, and that's a great idea. As for the WIW dynasty I'd actually forgotten about that, though I was reading at the time- it's safe to say that I'll be having another look for ideas.

Show will probably go up tomorrow evening, so there's about twenty-four hours left for predictions.

You don't job the family on show one.

See above.

See above the above.

They sound like a good bet.

Never bet against a Beast.

I hear that Dai is terrible.

WIW Island Classic 1977

Live to Video from Jerry’s Basement

Friday, Week 1, January 1977

Audience: 93

The Show

Heh heh…Bumfhole. Seriously, though, Tito’s one of our best midcarders, and I could see him moving up the card if a slot for a top face opens up (which it probably won’t, what with the Kuhaulua’s and me all up there for the foreseeable future). Beast, on the other hand, shows a lot of promise but needs to seriously develop his fundamentals if he’s going to move up the card or make it back in Japan. It didn’t help that he wasn’t on top form tonight, throwing an already pretty patchy talent way off and making for a less-than-brilliant opening match tonight. Still, at our level this wasn’t really a show-killer, and part of our development brief is working with guys like Takuma so we’re going to have to get used to matches like this one (heck, we’ve got Dai Shunichi up next). Tito got the win here, rolling up Beast for the pinfall victory.

Winner: Tito Bumfhole Match Rating: D-

We move across to the promo position (a couple of boards in WIW colours that we set up by the entrance way), where Ioei is on hype duty for the match event

“Ever since I captured the Hawaiian championship, I have faced every challenge put in my path with courage and integrity, the way a champion should. Alasi Tua, you’re a dangerous man and I’m well aware of what you’re capable of, but when we step into that ring I promise to you, and all the fans in attendance, I will not back down. That’s not the Kuhaulua way, and I’m a proud son of Kai Kuhaulua, a part of the great tradition of wrestling on this Island, and what’s more I would be ashamed to call myself the Hawaiian Champion if I faced you with anything other than bravery and determination. I know you’ll bring your very best game to the ring, Alasi, but you deserve to know that I’ll be bringing mine too”

Ioei’s the classic definition of an earnest young babyface, and our fanbase love it. Especially all the girls, for some reason (I totally know the reason…)

Rating: C

The crowd were actually paying attention for this one, but it wasn’t really any better than the opener. Honma’s a solid competitor but his best days are behind him and he gasses after about five minutes of wrestling. As for Shunichi, he knows how to hit some really spectacular flips and dives but can’t actually wrestle for toffee, so the fact that this was actually bad rather than awful was a pleasant surprise. Part of it was chemistry: these two work really well together, so the flow was better than you’d expect from these two usually- Honma was always in the right position to pick up on Shunichi’s somersaults and backflips and move onto the next round of offence, which helped with the flow. In the end, of course, the veteran scored the victory, hooking Dai into the Full Nelson after Shunichi went for an ill-timed backflip.

Winner: Kikuma Honma Match Rating: D-

The Polynesian Express vs. Tatsunori Ine & Z-Man

The heel team here was kinda thrown together, but I want to work on expanding our tag division and these two could make a good team if the chemistry’s on their side. As it was they worked well enough together that I could see them making a go of it long-term, although they were no match for the Express. The Polynesians are really very good, though, so it wasn’t really a surprise that they hogged all the highlights: Mano in particular is just spectacular. As for Unutola, he’s a pretty reasonable worker but in solo terms he’s no match for his partner- I don’t plan on splitting them up here, but if Supreme or Burning Hammer come calling I can’t see them picking Unutola over Mano. As it is, though, they make for a great team, and got the win over the bad guys after Tomalu nailed Ine with the Leaping Super Kick.

Winners: The Polynesian Express Match Rating: D

It’s a good rule of thumb that our best matches are the ones with the Kuhaulua brothers in, and this match was no exception. Psychology wise this could have been better- ‘Kana’s not the greatest storyteller in the ring, and Eruption’s always needed someone to guide him through that side of things- but ‘Kana and Eruption have such good chemistry that I don’t think anybody really noticed. It helped that the story could be told visually- Eruption played the powerful heel and ‘Kana the courageous babyface, and you can do that by just standing them next to each other. We also played up ‘Kana’s puro striking, with the oldest Kuhaulua brother standing toe-to-toe with the Samoan Monster and matching him blow-for-blow. For a while, though, it looked like Eruption might have the advantage as his strikes were clearly rocking Nakana hard, and sure enough ‘Kana was eventually dropped to the mat, unable to resist Eruption’s raw power despite his best efforts. That left him open to the Volcano Splash, which Eruption promptly went for, only to see ‘Kana roll out of the way at the last minute. With the crowd cheering him on it was time for the Island Warrior to go for his deadly Knee Lift, knocking Eruption out (at least in kayfabe) and giving Nakana the victory.

Winner: Nakana Kuhaulua Match Rating: C

Once again we turn to the promo position, this time to hear from ‘The Quintessential Beach Boy’ Brian Love, otherwise known as me

“There aren’t words to describe how I feel about you, Mak. For so long you were someone I admired, a man I looked up to and aspired to be like, like your father and brother, men who took me in, trained me to wrestler and made me what I am. Your little brother Ioei has been like a brother to me ever since I came to Hawaii. And now you turn your back on your family, men who I respect and love like brothers, and you think that’s okay? Well I say no, there is nothing okay about your betrayal. And tonight, there’s not gonna be any Good Vibrations or Fun, Fun, Fun, there’s gonna be none of the good-time happy Brian Love we all know. Surf’s Up, Mak- get ready”

Ever since I teamed up with the Kuhaulua brothers a couple of years back the crowd have really taken to me, and their reaction reflected that.

Rating: D+

No sooner have I moved to the ring in preparation for our match than Makaio’s out at the Promo Position

“You think I care what you think, Brian? You couldn’t be more wrong. I don’t care what anybody thinks of me, not you, not these idiot fans, and certainly not my family. I am Makaio Kuhaulua, a bigger star than anyone else could ever dream of being. You may have beaten Alasi Tua, you may have stood in the ring with Double Disaster and not backed down, but you’ve never faced me and won. Tonight will be no different, Brian. Tonight holds nothing for you but pain and humiliation at the hands of the greatest wrestler in all of WIW. And make no mistake, Brian Love- I’m better than you’ll ever be”

Like all of the Kuhaulua brothers, Makaio gets instant reaction from the fans.

Rating: C

Makaio Kuhaulua vs. Brian Love

Like I said before, Kuhaulua brothers=quality. This was another good match, not quite on the level of ‘Kana/Eruption, but to be fair that match had good chemistry on its side, whereas this match had to get by solely on the talent of the competitors. Not that that was exactly a problem- I wouldn’t call myself the greatest wrestler in the world but I know my stuff, and Mak is one of the strongest technical workers we’ve got on the roster. With that in mind we built this around a very technical style, with me and Mak exchanging holds and trying to force the match into our respective strong areas. Mak kept trying to ground me, trying to cut off my aerial assault and superior chain wrestling, whilst I did my best to stay standing and keep away from his superior submissions work and mat wrestling. In the end, though, Mak was able to ground me after he low-blowed me behind the ref’s back, and from there he was able to lock in the Black Sheep Sleeper and choke me out.

Winner: Makaio Kuhaulua Match Rating: C-

Ioei Kuhaulua vs. Alasi Tua

This match was another beneficiary of the Kuhaulua rule, but went above and beyond ‘Kana and Mak’s matches to stand as Match of the Night. I’m not quite sure why- Ioei’s good but realistically he’s no better than ‘Kana, and he doesn’t quite have Mak’s charisma or star quality. As for Tua, he’s pretty good but is stamina’s not great and I certainly wouldn’t call him any better than me. Maybe it was simply a case of momentum or something, but whatever the reason for the quality of this one I’m not complaining. Ioei played the underdog here, battling on in the face of Tua’s overwhelming aggression and power, frequently having to fight through immense amounts of pain as Alasi punished him with vicious punches and headbutts. For a while it looked like he might actually lose, as Alasi hit his dreaded Samoan Headbutt K.O. (a jumping headbutt as opposed to the standing variety he usually uses), but Ioei landed close enough to the rope to break the subsequent pinfall, despite being half unconscious. That set the stage for an epic face comeback, as Ioei fought his way back to a vertical base and starting throwing chops and elbows at Alasi before taking him off his feet with a big dropkick, following up with a back-splash and double foot stomp in a flurry of fast-paced offence that kept the big man from getting back to his feet. By the time Tua was sufficiently recovered to get back to his feet Ioei was well into his second wind, and the Kuhaulua Kick (Running Dropkick) signalled that it was time for Ioei to lock in the Kuhaulua Clutch (Camel Clutch). Tua was forced to submit to the move, as so many others have over the years- Joey went over the list of men who submitted to the hold after the match, which amounted to basically every wrestler who’s come through to WIW.

Winner: Ioei Kuhaulua Match Rating: C

Overall Rating: C-, which is fantastic for a company our level.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone- looking forward to seeing where this one goes (I asked Brian but all he did was quote Beach Boys lyrics at me).

Let's have a look at the predictions this week, then.

Boltinho: 3/6, as I'm not sure which way you were going with Bumfhole/Takuma

Midnightnick: 5/6

Regis: 5/6

So, it's a tie between Regis and Midnightnick, so as a reward, you get to pick the names of my March and April shows (I've run the February show to get myself ahead of the game). To give you some background and avoid , WIW currently have three shows scheduled for the rest of the year:

Paradise Lost, our may show

The Kamehameha Day Spectacular, in June to tie in with, well, the clue's in the name

Say Aloha, in September

So, answers on the back of a postcard (or in a board post, whichever's cool) to:

I can't think of a good show name

C/O Total Extreme Wrestling Wrestling 2010

Grey Dog Software.Com Forums

TEW GDS

<p>It wasn’t until after the Island Classic that I managed to get a handle on all the roster, largely thanks to a couple of extra signings to bulk out the midcard. Still, by the end of January I’d got the roster figured out, and was pretty much just breaking down who was who and how they fit into the company.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><span style="font-size:18px;">Main Eventers</span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/MakaioKuhaulua.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Makaio Kuhaulua</strong></p><p>

<strong>Age:</strong> 29 <strong>Height/Weight:</strong> 6’ 3”/240lbs</p><p>

<strong>Finisher:</strong> Black Sheep Sleeper (Sleeper Hold)</p><p>

The company’s top heel, and the only heel at the very top of the card, Mak’s a good wrestler with charisma and star quality to spare. The only Kuhaulua to work as heel, he turned his back on the family in 1969, and has spent most of his time since then trying to beat his brothers and their allies up and drive them out of the company. Not that he’ll ever be successful, but it’s a good hook to build feuds around. Ironically his style is almost exactly like his brothers- hard-hitting technical work with an emphasis on mat work and submissions. Given his surname he’ll be at the top of the card for as long as he works here, but to be fair he’s got longevity in that spot anyway, thanks to his reasonable levels of talent and immense overness on the Island.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/IoeiKuhaulua.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Ioei Kuhaulua</strong></p><p>

<strong>Age:</strong> 27 <strong>Height/Weight:</strong> 6’/210lbs</p><p>

<strong>Finisher:</strong> Kuhaulua Clutch (Camel Clutch)</p><p>

Our current Hawaiian Champion, Ioei makes up for his average fundamentals with a strong all-round moveset and charisma. Like his older brother Nakana Ioei’s very much a babyface, and plays the earnest young hero to perfection. A big part of his appeal, apart from his boyish good looks that have pulled in a lot of female fans over the years, is his finisher: the Kuhaulua Clutch has been built up over the years to the point where it’s virtually guaranteed to get a submission. It was that move that defeated Makaio Kuhaulua back in 1976 for the title, and since then Ioei’s been at the frontlines of the family’s war against his villainous brother. As with Mak, his surname guarantees him a main event place for as long as he’s here, but in an ideal world he’d develop his fundamentals just a little to match some of our other top names.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/NakanaKuhaulua.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Nakana Kuhaulua</strong></p><p>

<strong>Age:</strong> 31 <strong>Height/Weight:</strong> 6’ 3”/245lbs</p><p>

<strong>Finisher:</strong> Kuhaulua Knee Lift (Knee Lift)</p><p>

The oldest of the Kuhaulua brother, ‘Kana is probably the strongest worker of the three. He doesn’t have Mak’s psychology or Ioei’s versatility but he’s a better brawler and technician than either of them, and his fundamentals are overall better than those of his brothers. Like Ioei he’s also built up a lot of mystique around his finisher, which can supposedly knock people out with one shot, although between you and me that’s not actually true (tell the fans, though, and I’ll kill you- I’m not even joking, there’ll be blood and gore everywhere). He’s not quite as charismatic as either of his younger brothers, though, and at 31 may not have all that much improvement left in him. In any case, like both his brothers I don’t see him ever leaving the main event, but in all fairness they all three deserve to be there, on name value alone if nothing else.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/HueyCannonball.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Brian Love</strong></p><p>

<strong>Age:</strong> 27 <strong>Height/Weight:</strong> 6’ 1”/215lbs</p><p>

<strong>Finisher:</strong> Surf’s Up (Spinning Lariat)</p><p>

My main event rise has a lot to do with Makaio’s heel turn and Kai’s retirement- I kinda stepped into that third good guy slot, which given the love the Kuhaulua’s get from the fans automatically pushed me to near the top of the card. I can’t really comment on whether or not I deserve to be there, but as a reasonable technician in the Kuhaulua style I’m not what you’d call a bad worker by any stretch, especially when you factor in my occasional burst of high-flying offence or decent charisma (though that’s really not up to Kuhaulua levels). Plan at the moment is to stay near the top so I can feud with Mak and his minions, but depending on how it goes I’m probably the most likely top guy to move down the card.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><span style="font-size:18px;">Upper Midcarders</span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/AlasiTua.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Alasi Tua</strong></p><p>

<strong>Age:</strong> 34 <strong>Height/Weight:</strong> 6’ 8”/340lbs</p><p>

<strong>Finisher:</strong> Samoan Headbutt K.O. (Jumping Headbutt)</p><p>

Our number two heel, Tua’s the only highly placed heel not involved in the Kuhaulua war- after all, we need someone who can slot into that utility role without damaging our number one feud. He’s a solid monster heel- not the greatest wrestler in the world, but with huge amounts of menace and a decent amount of brawling prowess. I plan to feud him with one of our up-and-coming young babyfaces, but at the moment I’m not sure which.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/Eruption.jpg</span><span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/Tsunami.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Eruption & Tsunami- Double Disaster</strong></p><p>

<strong>Ages:</strong> 29 (Eruption) & 28 (Tsunami) <strong>Heights/Weights:</strong> 6’ 9”/350lbs (Eruption) & 6’ 8”/350lbs (Tsunami)</p><p>

<strong>Finishers:</strong> Volcano Splash (Big Splash, Eruption’s Finisher), Tidal Wave (Avalanche, Tsunami’s Finisher)</p><p>

Our top tag team and current tag team champions, Double Disaster also play Makaio’s current allies in the war against the Kuhaulua family. They’re both capable monster heels, who make up for some dodgy fundamentals with great brawling skill and huge amounts of menace. Plus, they’re a hugely experienced tag team, which makes them an easy choice for champions at the moment. They also perform a Siva Tau (Samoan War Dance) before every tag match, which adds a lot to our shows in terms of sheer spectacle. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/KikumaHonma.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Kikuma Honma</strong></p><p>

<strong>Age:</strong> 45 <strong>Height/Weight:</strong> 6’ 4”/265lbs</p><p>

<strong>Finisher:</strong> Full Nelson</p><p>

Kikuma Honma is one of our principal trainers, and a solid worker generally speaking. He is, however, thoroughly lacking in stamina and a pain in the @ss backstage thanks to a truly awful temper, all of which makes me think he’d be better off away from the main event and nearer the bottom of the card where he won’t be called upon to wrestler long matches. It’s a pity, really, as his fundamentals are really good and he’d make a solid opponent for the likes of Ioei, who needs to polish his fundamentals just slightly. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><span style="font-size:18px;">Midcarders</span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/DirkBonell_alt.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Dirk Bonell</strong></p><p>

<strong>Age:</strong> 24 <strong>Height/Weight:</strong> 6’ 5”/270lbs</p><p>

<strong>Finisher:</strong> Powerbomb</p><p>

Bone-Dogg’s one of my new signings; I bought him and Chase in to round out the tag division. To be honest, he’s probably not all that strong a worker- his fundamentals are pretty poor, for a start- but he’s got star quality and a solid amount of brawling skill that means he’ll fit in well with the rest of the roster. Plus, of course, the Party Animals are a very experienced team, so in those terms Dirk’s got a good future here. And anyway, once this guy gets to the bars we’ll never get rid of him.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/Eruption.jpg</span><span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/UnutolaTomalu.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Mano Keanu & Unutola Tomalu- The Polynesian Express</strong></p><p>

<strong>Ages:</strong> 20 (Keanu) & 23 (Tomalu) <strong>Heights/Weights:</strong> 5’ 11”/200lbs (Keanu) & 6’ 2”/225lbs (Tomalu)</p><p>

<strong>Finishers:</strong> Flying Elbow Drop (Keanu), Leaping Super Kick (Tomalu)</p><p>

The Polynesian Express are our de facto top good guy team, but I’m not sure if I like them in that slot. Keanu’s such a good wrestler that he’ll likely want to go solo at some point, but he’s got an ego on him like you wouldn’t believe and I don’t figure he deserves a reward for being such an a-hole. That’s really why he’s with Tomalu, the idea being that ‘Tola is enough of a nice guy to counteract some of Mano’s rough edges and hopefully calm him down. In any case, the Express have the advantage of being less rough around the edges than the Party Animals, and chances are that they’ll be the next tag champions- provided Keanu ditches the attitude.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/RudolphGray.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Rudolph Gray</strong></p><p>

<strong>Age:</strong> 23 <strong>Height/Weight:</strong> 6’ 5”/290lbs</p><p>

<strong>Finisher:</strong> Bearhug</p><p>

Rudy Gray’s another new signing, brought in after the APWF let him go. To be honest I have no idea why they would- he’s a good technician with a little puro on the side, and decent fundamentals given his age- but their loss is our gain. Rudy’s a good fit for our style, and playing the snobby American @sshole will definitely help get him over as a major heel- in fact, I see him as a potential franchise player for us down the line, especially considering that he also plays a very capable face.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/TatsunoriIne_alt3.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Tatsunori Ine</strong></p><p>

<strong>Age:</strong> 22 <strong>Height/Weight:</strong> 6’ 4”/245lbs</p><p>

<strong>Finisher:</strong> Flying Cross Chop</p><p>

Ine’s a reasonable high flier who’s in dire need of work on his fundamentals. One of the guys who Burning Hammer sent over to us to help develop, chances are that he’ll probably head back to Japan once his contract’s up as he doesn’t really like working the US. Hopefully we can get something out of him in the meantime, but I wouldn’t bet on it- like I said, he’s a solid competitor, but it’s going to take a lot of work for his fundamentals to amount to anything decent.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/Z-Man.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Z-Man</strong></p><p>

<strong>Age:</strong> 29 <strong>Height/Weight:</strong> 5’ 8”/160lbs</p><p>

<strong>Finisher:</strong> Zenith Top Rope Press (High Angle Flying Crossbody)</p><p>

Z-Man’s momentum is in the toilet, but that’s really his only problem. He’s a good high flier, he’s got some technique and whilst his fundamentals aren’t spectacular there’s nothing really wrong with them as they stand. I won’t deny that he could do with some improvement, but for the most part I’m willing to leave him where he is. Right now his biggest problem is simple priority- there’s a few guys below him on the roster that I want to move up the card, and whilst I like him he’s not someone I see getting a major push for a while.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><span style="font-size:18px;">Lower Midcarders</span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/BeastTakuma_alt.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Beast Takuma</strong></p><p>

<strong>Age:</strong> 20 <strong>Height/Weight:</strong> 6’ 8”/340lbs</p><p>

<strong>Finisher:</strong> Choke Slam</p><p>

Beast’s a solid hand, and a great guy backstage, but he’s unlikely to win rookie of the year anytime soon. A reasonable if bland brawler, Beast’s big problem is that his fundamentals are just plain dodgy, and a lot of improvement is required if he’s going to really make a go of it back in Japan. For now, though, he’ll probably lurk around this point in the card- he’s basically a secondary jobber, but with some development I could see him moving across to the tag division or challenging for a secondary singles title.</p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/ChaseAllen_alt.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Chase Allen</strong></p><p>

<strong>Age:</strong> 25 <strong>Height/Weight:</strong> 6’/200lbs</p><p>

<strong>Finisher:</strong> Flying Forearm</p><p>

Bone-Dogg’s partner in the Party Animals, Chase is very much in the same position as Dirk. Good look, good charisma, still in need of development, although in Chase’s case it’s more about the moveset than the fundamentals. Not that they’re perfect, but for the most part they’re no worse than any worker in the small territories, and in any case you can counteract some of his weaknesses with charisma and star quality, both of which Chase has in spades. Right now he’s limiting himself to tag competition, but I could see him moving into singles competition down the line if he improves some.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/NaotakaFujino.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Naotaka Fujino</strong></p><p>

<strong>Age:</strong> 23 <strong>Height/Weight:</strong> 5’ 10”/198lbs</p><p>

<strong>Finisher:</strong> Enzuigiri</p><p>

Formerly known as the Funky Monkey, Naotaka’s a promising young rookie who nevertheless needs to improve pretty much across the board. To be fair, though, it’s mostly a question of mild improvement rather than the absolute necessity for change- nothing’s bad, but everything could be better. I like Fujino, though, and whilst I see him losing a lot for now- I need to bleed his momentum off onto other people higher up the pecking order- but there’s no reason that he won’t get a push down the line once I know he’ll stick around.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/TitoBumfhole.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Tito Bumfhole</strong></p><p>

<strong>Age:</strong> 26 <strong>Height/Weight:</strong> 6’ 2”/220lbs</p><p>

<strong>Finisher:</strong> Diving Bulldog</p><p>

Tito’s been around for a while, and I see him as a potentially major future star with us. He can fly, he can work the mat, and he’s got charisma. Okay, so maybe his fundamentals aren’t the best, but in this company you take what you can get, and there aren’t that many guys out there that match our style and can help him improve. He also needs to up his momentum more than a little, so I’m seeing a good solid winning streak coupled with a couple of high profile matches in his future, to see how he comes together.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><span style="font-size:18px;">Openers</span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/DaiShunichi.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Dai Shunichi</strong></p><p>

<strong>Age:</strong> 20 <strong>Height/Weight:</strong> 6’/200lbs</p><p>

<strong>Finisher:</strong> None</p><p>

Mom always says ‘if you can’t say anything nice about a person, don’t say anything at all’. So there’s really nothing I can say about Shunichi except that he has lots of time to develop, and lots of potential. It’s just everything else that’s a problem…</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Tommy Handell</strong></p><p>

<strong>Age:</strong> 20 <strong>Height/Weight:</strong> 5’ 7”/167lbs</p><p>

<strong>Finisher:</strong> None</p><p>

Tommy Handell’s a promising young rookie- more promising than Shunichi, at any rate- who I recently brought in to balance out the Party Animals. He’s a good high flier with charisma and fundamentals that are slightly ahead of where most of our roster were at his age, and in WIW size is considerably less of a barrier to a push than, say, being a giant douche. Which Tommy isn’t, so there’s no reason why he shouldn’t go on to play a major role in the company going forward- provided he stays loyal, of course.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><span style="font-size:18px;">Non-Wrestlers</span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/RexKuhio.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Rex Kuhio</strong></p><p>

Our resident announcer, Rex is a good hand on the mic and a pain in the neck backstage, to put it mildly. But he’s been here longer than I have, so we can’t really offload him without finding a suitable replacement. And besides, as long as we can keep him subdued, which isn’t too difficult, he’s worth the occasional bit of trouble.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/JoeyMargarita.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Joey Margarita</strong></p><p>

The margarita man is our resident colour commentator, and whilst he’s not the absolute best in the business he’s definitely in the top 10. He’s also a pretty decent guy, for the most part, although he’s chronically unreliable and has a tendency to turn up to shows more than a little drunk. That’s never stopped him doing his job, though, and to be fair at least he’s a happy drunk.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/KaiKukaulua.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Kai Kuhaulua</strong></p><p>

Big Daddy K is our resident road agent, and does a good job on both sides of the role (putting the matches together and controlling the locker room). He’s also a Hawaiian icon, so I’m going to see if we can’t get him onscreen at some point to exploit his overness for the benefit of our younger guys (I’m thinking particularly of Tito and the Polynesians here).</p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/WIW/RefBenn.jpg</span></p><p>

<strong>Benny Guardado</strong></p><p>

Benny’s a rookie ref from Mexico who’s basically our only official. He’s pretty good, though, and barring unforeseen circs I’m willing to keep him around for years yet.</p><p> </p><p>

***</p><p> </p><p>

Card for WIW Warrior Spirit:</p><p> </p><p>

FOR THE WIW TAG TEAM TITLES</p><p>

The Brotherhood of the Surf (Ioei K. & Brian Love) vs. Double Disaster (Eruption & Tsunami) ©</p><p> </p><p>

Nakana Kuhaulua vs. Makaio Kuhualua</p><p> </p><p>

Kikuma Honma vs. Tito Bumfhole</p><p> </p><p>

The Rising Suns (Beast Takuma & Tatsunori Ine) vs. The Party Animals (Chase Allen & Dirk ‘Bone-Dogg’ Bonell)</p><p> </p><p>

Naotaka Fujino vs. Z-Man</p><p> </p><p>

Alasi Tua vs. Dai Shunichi</p>

<p><strong>The Brotherhood of the Surf (Ioei K. & Brian Love)</strong> vs. Double Disaster (Eruption & Tsunami) ©</p><p> </p><p>

Nakana Kuhaulua vs. <strong>Makaio Kuhualua</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Kikuma Honma vs. <strong>Tito Bumfhole</strong></p><p> </p><p>

The Rising Suns (Beast Takuma & Tatsunori Ine) vs. <strong>The Party Animals (Chase Allen & Dirk ‘Bone-Dogg’ Bonell)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Naotaka Fujino vs. <strong>Z-Man</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Alasi Tua</strong> vs. Dai Shunichi</p>

<p>FOR THE WIW TAG TEAM TITLES</p><p>

The Brotherhood of the Surf (Ioei K. & Brian Love) vs. <strong>Double Disaster (Eruption & Tsunami) ©</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Nakana Kuhaulua vs. <strong>Makaio Kuhualua</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Kikuma Honma vs. <strong>Tito Bumfhole</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Rising Suns (Beast Takuma & Tatsunori Ine)</strong> vs. The Party Animals (Chase Allen & Dirk ‘Bone-Dogg’ Bonell)</p><p> </p><p>

Naotaka Fujino vs. <strong>Z-Man</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Alasi Tua</strong> vs. Dai Shunichi</p>

<p>FOR THE WIW TAG TEAM TITLES</p><p>

The Brotherhood of the Surf (Ioei K. & Brian Love) vs. <strong>Double Disaster (Eruption & Tsunami) ©</strong></p><p>

<em>Brian takes the fall to put over the monster heels.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Nakana Kuhaulua vs. <strong>Makaio Kuhualua</strong></p><p>

<em>The dastardly heel brother cheats his way to victory!</em></p><p> </p><p>

Kikuma Honma vs. <strong>Tito Bumfhole</strong></p><p>

<em>A gambler's prediction - will Honma's attitude earn him a lesson?</em></p><p> </p><p>

The Rising Suns (Beast Takuma & Tatsunori Ine) vs. <strong>The Party Animals (Chase Allen & Dirk ‘Bone-Dogg’ Bonell)</strong></p><p>

<em>A simple matter of card position.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Naotaka Fujino vs. <strong>Z-Man</strong></p><p>

<em>Z-Man is due to put some people over, but he needs to have momentum to hand over!</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Alasi Tua</strong> vs. Dai Shunichi</p><p>

<em>JOBBER!</em></p>

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly doubt that anyone out there still cares about this dynasty, but the show will go up tomorrow people. I picked up Comic Book Hero and have been playing that a lot over the last few days, but I'm going to be getting this back on the road, starting with the next show going up tomorrow.

So, if by some unusual miracle anybody wants to get their predictions in there's still time!

I honestly doubt that anyone out there still cares about this dynasty, but the show will go up tomorrow people. I picked up Comic Book Hero and have been playing that a lot over the last few days, but I'm going to be getting this back on the road, starting with the next show going up tomorrow.

So, if by some unusual miracle anybody wants to get their predictions in there's still time!

I care!

WIW Warrior Spirit

Live to Video from Jerry’s Basement

Friday, Week 1, February 1977

Audience: 146

The Show

Dai Shunichi vs. Alasi Tua

Shunichi’s slowly working his way into my good graces. Last month he really learned a lot from Honma, and this month he once again managed to find an opponent he worked really well with, making for a match that was actually pretty reasonable. Mostly, though, that was thanks to Alasi: the crowd hates him, so even a worker as low down as Shunichi could get a few cheers out of the crowd. Alasi was also working his @ss off, and came out of this one looking like a real monster, throwing around Shunichi like he was a rag doll and beating him black and blue with a series of monster headbutts and punches. Of course, it was all over very quickly- Shunichi attempted to dodge an attempted avalanche with a backflip, only for Tua to turn around and nail the Samoan Headbutt K.O., taking Dai out for a lot longer than the three-count.

Winner: Alasi Tua Match Rating: D

After the match is over The Brotherhood of the Surf make their way to the promo position, as always greeted by a barrage of screaming girls (maybe I should get Ioei to put a shirt on…)

“Are you having a great time?”

Naturally they are

“Well so are we, and I’ll tell you why- tonight, me and Ioei get the chance to become WIW Hawaiian Tag Champions, and that is one heck of a good thing to wake up to. So, Eruption, Tsunami, you better be ready for some Fun, Fun, Fun, because you know what? Surf’s Up, Baby!”

“In the history of WIW, no one man has held both the Hawaiian and Hawaiian Tag titles, and it would mean so much to me if I were the first to put their name to such an accomplishment. Double Disaster are two of the strongest, fiercest competitors in this or any other company, but their power is no match for our heart and spirit, their ferociousness is no match for our courage, and their experience is no match for our unity. I would die for this man, and I know he would do the same for me. Brian is more than just my friend or my tag partner, he is my brother, and we would shed our blood for each other without a second thought. Tell me Double Disaster, can you say the same thing?”

That got a decent reaction, but you could feel the crowd perk up when Ioei took over on the mic- clearly they prefer him to me, and why shouldn’t they?

Rating: C-

No sooner have we finished the promo, though, than we’re blindsided by Double Disaster. Despite some spirited fightback a couple of lightweights like me and Ioei are no match for the Samoans when they’ve got the drop on us. Sure enough, I’m quickly taken out by a huge slam on the floor, and from there Ioei’s pummelled into the floor by both of the tag champs, right in front of a pair of girls who looked like they were either gonna cry or jump the barriers and go after Eruption and Tsunami.

Rating: D+

Unutola Tomalu vs. Tommy Handell

This was a squash match to give Tommy a solid debut, although as you’d expect it was a decent match. Tommy’s a promising young rookie and ‘Tola’s style is pretty close to his, so this was a solid match given that neither man is among our top names. The emphasis was on high-flying action, with neither man looking to tie up and trade holds. ‘Tola started to gain the advantage, though, as whilst Tommy could match him in the air the Samoan had the advantage on the mat, pounding him a series of vicious forearms and kicks that Tommy didn’t really have an answer for. In the end Handell went high-risk with a springboard flying clothesline that ‘Tola dodged, leaving the Handsome Man open to the Leaping Super Kick. There was no way back from that one for Handell.

Winner: Unutola Tomalu Match Rating: D

Once again we’re headed to the interview position, this time to hear from Tito Bumfhole ahead of his match with Kikuma Honma

“Kikuma Honma is one of the most dangerous men in this company- or at least, so they tell me. Truth is, Honma, I think you’ve got everyone running scared because of your reputation. Oh, you’re dangerous, no two ways about that, I’ve seen what happens when the Full Nelson’s locked on and you’re squeezing the life out of somebody. But here’s the thing- people are scared of you, and that’s what gives you the advantage. I’m not scared, Honma, and tonight I will beat you. That’s a promise”

Bumfhole’s a good talker, but he hasn’t had the mic time to work out his character fully. That, combined with his lack of momentum, made for a promo that didn’t quite deliver the goods.

Rating: D-

Tito Bumfhole vs. Kikuma Honma

This was a disappointing match. Okay, so maybe I shouldn’t have expected too much from Honma, who after all is on the downswing of his career, but given his fundamentals and Tito’s general ability I’d expected this to be at least a decent midcard bout, instead of the rather poor encounter we got. Granted, we’re still in the process of getting Tito’s momentum back up, but I’ve got put the blame for this one at Honma’s door. His momentum’s also on the downswing (just what the heck was ‘Kana doing with the undercard anyways?), and with his stamina being so bad he was gassed by the 6 minute mark and virtually dead by the end of the match. Credit where it’s due, he kept his offence up right to the bell, and Rex and Joey were able to spin it out into a positive, playing up his refusal to just quit even when he could struggle to stand and putting that on Tito’s offence rather than Kikuma’s stamina problems. In the end, Tito got the win with the Diving Bulldog, taking Honma to the mat with a somersault back elbow before scaling the turnbuckle and nailing his finisher when Honma staggered back to his feet.

Winner: Tito Bumfhole Match Rating: D-

Rudolph Gray vs. Mano Keanu

This was Rudy’s debut match here, so I put him up against Mano to make sure he had a good debut. Sure enough it was a good match that saw Rudolph go over via submission at the 10-minute mark. To be honest, I see Rudy as a potential heir to the likes of Alasi and Makaio in terms of top heel status- chances are he’ll get a shot at me or ‘Kana sometime soon to see how he handles the big matches. As for Mano, he’s good but I’m not as hot on him as ‘Kana or Kai were, so I don’t see him moving outside of the tag division. It’s still a possibility, of course, but he needs to ditch the attitude first, and in any case the Polynesians are still our number one face team so I can’t go splitting them up yet. That brought the rule of tag guys in singles matches into play (tag guys never win singles matches unless it’s against other tag guys or jobbers), so as I say Rudy took home the win, bouncing Mano off the ropes before trapping him in his trademark bear hug to force a submission.

Winner: Rudolph Gray Match Rating: C-

The Party Animals vs. The Rising Suns

This was another good match, thanks to good chemistry on the part of The Rising Suns that’s largely resolved who my fourth team is going to be in the tag ranks. Admittedly Takuma needs some wins to build his momentum back up a bit but once I’ve got that sorted there’s no reason why they shouldn’t settling into a solid role in the tag division. As for the Party Animals, a lot depends on how they develop over the next few months- they’re a good, experienced tag team but with dodgy fundamentals I’m not convinced they’re the best opponents for Double Disaster, who need work on that exact same area. In any case, this was a solid tag match given the talent of all involved, which built around the standard face-in-peril scenario. Takuma did the early running for the heels, isolating Chase with ease before working him over in the corner, tagging in and out with Ine whenever it looked like Allen might be able to make the tag. Eventually, though, the Suns’ inexperience counted against them, and Chase was able to use a momentary lapse of concentration to tag in Bone-Dogg, who went after the opposition like they were beer kegs at a frat party. Even going toe-to-toe with Takuma didn’t seem to phase Dirk, who threw a series of powerful punches at the giant before nailing a big Side Front Suplex (okay, so really he just picked him up and dropped him again, but kudos to Rex for making that a move). It was only a matter of time before Dirk, who was way-the-heck fired up, scored a major game-changer, and sure enough when Takuma tagged in the fresher Ine Bone-Dogg went to work on the smaller man. With the weight advantage back in Dirk’s corner he was able to use his traditional power offence, eventually tagging in Chase so they could hit their trademark Party Crasher finisher (Rocket Launcher).

Winners: The Party Animals Match Rating: D

Naotaka Fujino vs. Z-Man

This was the absolute pits, but I can’t really blame either guy here. Z-Man’s still building up his momentum (I swear, if I didn’t like the guy so much I’d be seriously p*ssed with ‘Kana for his mismanagement of the midcard), and to compound the issue the chemistry was abysmal. With some guys that maybe wouldn’t be a problem- if, say, ‘Kana and Alasi had bad chemistry their ability and pop would probably cover for it- but when one guy’s a rookie and the other is a journeyman with no momentum to speak of bad chemistry kills a match dead. The main problem was that the whole flow was thrown off, since neither guy could get a ‘feel’ for the other guy’s offence. That culminated in some just plain horrible spots, including Z-Man nailing a backflip off the top rope only to be left standing around waiting for Fujino’s counter dropkick; whilst a little later in the match Z-Man himself nailed a nice spinning heel kick that unfortunately went about four inches to the left of Fujino, leaving Nao to basically get taken out by empty air. In the air Z-Man got the win with a backslide, which is so basic that even this pair couldn’t botch it somehow.

Winner: Z-Man Match Rating: E+

It’s time to hear from Mak Kuhaulua, as he makes his way to the interview position

“There’s nothing I enjoy more than the chance to humiliate one of my idiot brothers, so you can imagine how much I’m looking forward to facing Nakana Kuhualua tonight. ‘Kana, you’re a four-time Hawaiian Champion, you’ve worked for the greatest wrestling promotion in Japan, but you’re still no match for me. I am the greatest wrestler this company or any other has ever seen, and tonight I will take a great deal of pleasure in handing you the worst defeat you could imagine. Face it Nakana- I’m a better wrestler than you’ll ever be”

This was as good a promo as you’d expect from Mak Kuhaulua, and got the crowd going again after Taka/Z-Man

After Makaio’s made his way to the ring, it’s time to hear from ‘Kana

“I’ve wrestled you hundreds of times, Makaio, and every time you say the same things. You say you’re better than me, you brag about your ability, but every time we get in that ring you end up cheating to win. Well, tonight that’s gonna fly, Mak- I know all your tricks. You used every single one of them to keep that title away from me, to drive out Hidehiko Ueda and the High King Malietoa, and I know how to stop every single one of them. If you want to beat me tonight, Mak, you’re going to have to bring that A-game you used to have. I know you’re one of the best, Mak, if only you want to be- the question is, do you?”

‘Kana’s not as good a talker as Mak, but he’s got the name value to make up for it. He’s also working a kind of redemptive thing at the moment, where he’s trying to turn Mak back to the side of good, which adds an little something to the promo’s.

Makaio Kuhaulua vs. Nakana Kuhaulua

There’s a small addition I have to make to the Kuhaulua equation: not only does a Kuhaulua guarantee quality, but two of them breaks the record for match quality. Plus, the gods of karma had my back and these two have great chemistry, which made for an exciting bout filled with incident. We built the action around a hold-for-hold wrestling clinic, with Mak trying to prove his dominance over his brother whilst ‘Kana kept pace and used his brother’s rage to try and goad him into a mistake. That worked out for him pretty well, as Mak was so enraged that he made the mistake of locking in the Black Sheep Sleeper right in front of the turnbuckle, and ‘Kana had no problem slamming him into the corner to break the hold. From there the tide turned in ‘Kana’s favour, and whilst Mak was able to get close enough to stop him getting space for the Kuhaulua Knee Lift there was no doubt about who was controlling the match. In the end Nakana took the win with a surprise small package, luring Makaio in by feigning a leg injury before rolling him into the hold for the victory.

Winner: Nakana Kuhaulua Match Rating: C+

The Brotherhood of the Surf vs. Double Disaster

This was a good match, but I should have switched it with ‘Kana and Mak’s match. Okay, so I wasn’t to know there’d be good chemistry in that match, but even so this was never going to actually outrank that one in terms of quality. Not that it was bad, exactly, but we’ve done better than this before and probably will again. The problem, if you really wanna call it that, was with Double Disaster’s fundamentals: they’re both working to improve them, but that doesn’t hide the fact that both Eruption and Tsunami aren’t that sound fundamentally, and that means they’ll never be able to match the Kuhaulua’s for match quality. In fairness, though, they’re an excellent tag team, and as long as they keep doing the Siva Tau at their entrance they’ll always be over enough to cover for their weaknesses (and let’s be fair here, they’re still pretty good even with dodgy fundamentals). As for me and Ioei, we’re both good wrestlers individually, and whilst I’m not saying we couldn’t do with some improvement we’ve got enough talent between us to cover for Double Disaster’s weaker spots. As for the story of this match, it was a classic power vs. finesse match, with Eruption and Tsunami outmuscling the faces whilst we fought back with hard-hitting technical offence. Eventually, though, they trapped me in their half of the ring, and against that amount of body-mass I was always going to struggle. The finish came when I tried to make the hot tag to Ioei, only for Mak to interfere and drag his brother off the apron. That left me open to Tsunami’s Tidal Wave, securing the baddies a three-count and the victory.

Winners: Double Disaster Match Rating: C-

Overall Rating: C-, about the same level as the Island Classic.

Let's have a look at the predictions, shall we?

Boltinho: 4/6

Midnightnick: 4/6

Regis: 5/6

So, Regis wins, and since I can't think of anything particularly special to do this time I'm going to resurrect an old standby and go with fan questions. Regis can ask a question of any member of the WIW roster, provided it keeps strict kayfabe (this is the 70's after all).

From The WIW Mailing List:

MAK TO BATTLE THE BONE-DOGG

In the wake of his successful debut alongside partner Chase Allen, Dirk Bonell issued the following statement through the Party Animals ‘personal secretary (and totally not just a hot chick in a bikini, bro)’ Fawn Davenport; “When the Animals first arrived in Hawaii it was all about the friggin’ sweet parties and the mamacitas (yo, Chase, is that the word for Hawaiian chicks or am I being uncool?). But no sooner have I got here than some total buzzkill named Makaio Kuhuaulua (and how the hell do you pronounce that anyway bro?) is throwing his junk around in our business. So bro, I decided there was only way to solve this one. Down me some nice cool Hawaiian brewskies, and throw down with this punk Phi Kapp style. And I’m telling you brother, there’s three things Phi Kappa Psi boys do better than anyone else. Drink Beer, Score Chicks, and Kick @ss”

In response to this, Makaio Kuhaulua had this to say: “If some drunken frat boy thinks he can beat the greatest wrestler Hawaii has ever produced then he is sorely mistaken, and I will take great pleasure in explaining his mistake to him- one broken limb at a time”

The match is scheduled to take place at A Warm Welcome, although there is as yet no word as to whether or not it is to be considered the show’s main event.

TSUNAMI TO CHALLENGE FOR HAWAIIAN TITLE

In the wake of Double Disaster’s shock victory over the Brotherhood of the Surf, it has been announced that Tsunami will challenge Ioei Kuhaulua for the WIW Hawaiian Title.

WIW’s recently installed President Hank Jacobs had this to say: “According to the rules of WIW, anyone who defeats the Hawaiian Champion in a sanctioned bout has the right to challenge for the title. Double Disaster beat the champion and his partner, and whilst Ioei Kuhaulua was not the one pinned, nor was Tsunami the man who made the actual fall, it has been argued by Double Disaster’s representative Makaio Kuhaulua that Tsunami is nevertheless allowed to challenge for the title according to company rules. Whatever my personal thoughts on the matter are- and they are not for public debate, might I add- my hands are tied”

Makaio Kuhaulua, speaking on behalf of Tsunami, issued the following statement: “Ioei Kuhaulua, like his partner Brian Love and Nakana Kuhaulua, no match for any either myself or either member of Double Disaster, and this match will simply demonstrate that Ioei is an inadequate champion who has no long-term future in wrestling. Make no mistake, when Tsunami gets in the ring with Ioei, he will destroy the young idiot to the point where I very much doubt he will have any kind of future at all”

When contacted for a statement, Ioei simply had this to say- “I never turn down a challenge, and if my brother Makaio thinks I’m no good as a champion, ask him who beat him for the Hawaiian title.”

RUDOLPH GRAY OUT TO PROVE HIMSELF

News has reached us of a challenge issued by Rudolph Gray, former Michigan All-State amateur wrestler, to Nakana Kuhaulua.

“I’m out to prove to all the margarita-swilling idiots in the crowd exactly how good I am, and the best way to do that is go after the biggest star I can find. And nobody on this Island is a bigger star than Nakana Kuhaulua. So I’m making this official- Nakana, if you’re man enough to get in the ring with me I want you one-on-one at The Warmest Welcome. And you better be ready for one hell of a stretching, because I don’t plan on making it easy on you”

When we attempted to reach him for comment, Nakana Kuhaulua had only this to say in response to Gray’s Challenge:

“I accept.”

FAN'S QUESTIONS

Our question this month comes from Regis

Regis: WHY, MAKAIO? WHYYYYYYYYYY?

Makaio Kuhaulua: Because I deserve the best. Because I am so much better than the rest of my family thay it embarrasses me to even have to stand in the same ring as them. Because, in the end, I am the greatest wrestler to work on this island, and I will do whatever it takes to get what is rightfully mine.

Card for WIW The Warmest Welcome:

FOR THE WIW HAWAIIAN TITLE

Ioei Kuhaulua © vs. Tsunami

Rudolph Gray vs. Nakana Kuhaulua

Makaio Kuhaulua vs. Dirk ‘Bone-Dogg’ Bonell

Alasi Tua vs. Brian Love

The Rising Suns (Beast Takuma & Tatsunori Ine) vs. Naotaka Fujino & Dai Shunichi

Tito Bumfhole vs. Tommy Handell

FOR THE WIW HAWAIIAN TITLE

Ioei Kuhaulua © vs. Tsunami

Not a chance.

Rudolph Gray vs. Nakana Kuhaulua

Rudy cheats his way to a first victory.

Makaio Kuhaulua vs. Dirk ‘Bone-Dogg’ Bonell

Kuhaulua goes over a non-Kuhaulua.

Alasi Tua vs. Brian Love

Tua gets a win over the booker to keep him sweet.

The Rising Suns (Beast Takuma & Tatsunori Ine) vs. Naotaka Fujino & Dai Shunichi

JOBBERS!

Tito Bumfhole vs. Tommy Handell

Good guy goes over a rookie paying his dues.

One last note- I'll be putting the show up later tonight (Christmas is unexpectedly busy and my schedule's been thrown off as a result, hence the late posting), but I wanted to see if I could get any extra predictions before it went up. So there's still time if you want to get those predictions up folks!

Archived