Non-WWE owned national promotions.

I like to try to create my own national sized promotion in the games, and i like to keep it someone realistic, so when naming my promotion I never use ones that are currently owned by the WWE.

Problem is i can only think of two that where national sized and not owned by the WWE and those are the NWA and Global Wrestling Federation, is anyone aware of some others?

<p>GWF was a large Regional company who made a splash in 1991 but were pretty much gone two years later. ECW was a large Cult promotion that crashed through failing to make National. They didn't even make it a decade from the first Eastern Championship Wrestling show to Paul Heyman signing on with WWF - and WWE own their trademarks anyway.</p><p> </p><p>

The AWA was (I'm stretching a little here) a large Cult company that survived for some time at that kind of size. It was the third largest US company in the mid-late 80s (according to the Apter mags, anyway) and had enough name value to have its workers appearing on Japanese shows in 1990 - or, at least, their World champion Larry Zbyszko, who dropped the title to Mr Saito in Japan before regaining it in the States. But the AWA was essentially dead as a regular promotion by early/mid 1991, although the name is still used on cards even today, and the title is back in use. They'd probably be the closest fit.</p><p> </p><p>

You could also revive World Class, or the USWA. Both were highly-regarded regional companies back in the 80s and 90s, but never really came close to National in TEW terms. I think WWE may own the tape library for World Class, but I'm not sure if they own the rights to the company.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="James Casey" data-cite="James Casey" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="33892" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>But the AWA was essentially dead as a regular promotion by early/mid 1991, although the name is still used on cards even today, and the title is back in use. They'd probably be the closest fit.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Last I knew, the AWA Superstars of Wrestling promotion that started was shut down by WWE because they own the name, logos, trademarks, and championships. So, if there is anyone trying to run the AWA today, you may want to let Vince know.</p><p> </p><p> As for WCCW, WWE owns the pre-1988 video library, while IWCCW owns the post-1988 library, which includes USWA Dallas, Wild West Wrestling, and the Global Wrestling Federation.</p><p> </p><p> A bit off-topic, but, with the network starting up soon, I wouldn't be surprised if Vince tries to buy the rest of the library. That would be the early careers of Austin, Foley, and Booker T. It's also interesting to note that he never bought the video library from the USWA, especially with the fact that they were on very good terms.</p>

<p>I know WCW and WWE where the only true national promotions but im counting the large territorys as they are nationally known.</p><p> </p><p>

AWA and WCCW are both owned by WWE and i usually end up using USWF as my developmental territory</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Masson26" data-cite="Masson26" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="33892" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I know WCW and WWE where the only true national promotions but im counting the large territorys as they are nationally known.<p> </p><p> AWA and WCCW are both owned by WWE and i usually end up using USWF as my developmental territory</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> "Nationally-known" to what extent? At the height of the territories, it was pretty limiting on what a fan in another region would know about a given territory. Even those which managd to get TV nation-wide still had territorial limitations to some extent. You need to be a bit more specific with the kind of criteria you want to use if you are defining "national" as something different from what the standard definition is.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Masson26" data-cite="Masson26" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="33892" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I mean as in today, wrestling fans all over the world know about these promotion, not just fans in the regions which they existed in.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That is an incredibly subjective way to try to measure it. </p><p> </p><p> Are you talking about hardcore fans - the ones like us who spend time online talking about wrestling, look up rumors, and so on? Or the "average" fan who just watches and spends their money, but doesn't dedicate more to it than that? When they started watching is also going to be a major consideration - even many dedicated, hardcore fans don't bother that much with the history of the business.</p><p> </p><p> Beyond that, how much do you expect someone to know about a given promotion that died twenty-plus years ago? Its name and that it existed? Why its was important? What it "specialized in"? How much is really required to say that fans still know about it?</p><p> </p><p> Honestly, I'd be hard-pressed to say that even most knowledgable fans would be able to go beyond the obvious two, plus maybe the AWA, WCCW, and maybe Memphis... And I'm not sure how many would be able to actually give the proper name for the Memphis territory.</p>

<p>Im well aware that most fans would only know WWE, WCW and NWA.</p><p> </p><p>

Basically im talking about anyone on these boards, and whether or not any non wwe owned ones exist outside the ones i mentioned is unknown to me, but your looking too much into it, im just basically looking to revive a fairly large promotion from the past, it doesnt have to be a national one, just something like WCCW or AWA that im not thinking of, i just get tired of using the NWA.</p><p> </p><p>

PS the official name of the Memphis Territory is Continental Wrestling Association which is also now WWE owned.</p>

<p>Bring back the Gold-Dust Trio. They were National, I don't think WWE has bothered to try to own the rights of it, since they were before the territories, and basically McMahon was taught by one of the founders, joined forces, the rest is history.... But I don't think anyone has claimed the rights to that name.</p><p> </p><p>

I would read a diary of someone bringing that back.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Masson26" data-cite="Masson26" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="33892" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>PS the official name of the Memphis Territory is Continental Wrestling Association which is also now WWE owned.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Wrong. Jerry Jarrett bought WCCW from the Von Erichs and renamed the post-merger company the USWA. Vince McMahon and WWE owns nothing related to the USWA or the original CWA.</p>

If I remember correctly there are a few I don't think they own Pacific Northwest, which was a good stop for many big names, Piper, Raven, Larry Henning, and a few others all got their start their. You can always do Big Time Wrestling which was out of California. It was where Patterson wrestled as well as Rocky Johnson and Peter Maivia, I know either Mid South Wrestling or Georgia Championship Wrestling are not owned by Vince, probably Championship Wrestling from Florida, Which was Dusty and Kevin Sullivan's main stomping grounds, are useable as well

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="soxfan93" data-cite="soxfan93" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="33892" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Wrong. Jerry Jarrett bought WCCW from the Von Erichs and renamed the post-merger company the USWA. Vince McMahon and WWE owns nothing related to the USWA or the original CWA.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> WWE does not own USWA however they do own at least some of the CWA merger, due to the WCCW merger.</p><p> </p><p> Also wwe definitely owns Georgia Championship Wrestling, as far as mid south im not sure, but that probably wouldnt make a good name for a nation wide promotion</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Masson26" data-cite="Masson26" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="33892" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>WWE does not own USWA however they do own at least some of the CWA merger, due to the WCCW merger.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> No they don't. As I said above, they own the pre-1988 WCCW video library. They don't own anything from CWA.</p><p> </p><p> Here is what they own:</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="33892" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>American Wrestling Association (1957-1991)<p> Georgia Championship Wrestling (1944-1985)</p><p> Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW) (1994-2001) and its predecessor:</p><p> - Eastern Championship Wrestling (1992-1994)</p><p> Ohio Valley Wrestling (1998-2008)</p><p> Florida Championship Wrestling (2007-present)</p><p> Smoky Mountain Wrestling (1992-1995)</p><p> Stampede Wrestling (1948-1989)</p><p> Ultimate Pro Wrestling (1998-2007)</p><p> Championship Wrestling from Florida (1961-1987)</p><p> World Championship Wrestling (WCW) (1988-2001)</p><p> - Jim Crockett Promotions (1931-1988) which by the end included:</p><p> -- Eastern States Championship Wrestling (1945-1973)</p><p> -- Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling (1973-1988)</p><p> -- Central States Wrestling (c. early 1950s-1986)</p><p> -- Championship Wrestling from Georgia (1984-1985)</p><p> -- St. Louis Wrestling Club (1959-1985)</p><p> World Class Championship Wrestling (1966-1988)</p><p> Maple Leaf Wrestling (1930-1995)</p><p> </p></div></blockquote>

<p>NWA Mid-America, NWA:MA. They were founded in the 1940's, and was Jerry Jarrett and Nick Gulas. They specialized in Tag Team wrestling, but were in constant conflict, with Jarrett forming Continental Wrestling Association with Lawler in the 70's, and Gulas retiring.</p><p> </p><p>

In the late 80's they left the NWA and merged with AWA to try and compete with WWF and WCW. After that (failure), Jarrett bought Fritz Von Erich's WCWA-World Class Wrestling Association, then merged with CWA to create USWA-United States Wrestling Association. This was a failed attempt to go national.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Most all I can think of or find, one way or another is owned by WWE now.... be it name, library, partial, whatever... Just about anything old the WWE has bought.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

North American Wrestling Alliance–Los Angeles, California </p><p>

NWA Detroit–Detroit, Michigan, Northwestern Ohio </p><p>

Houston Wrestling–Houston, Texas</p><p>

Western States Sports–New Mexico, Western Texas </p><p>

50th State Wrestling–Honolulu, Hawaii </p><p>

Western States Wrestling Alliance–Phoenix, Arizona </p><p>

Southwest Championship Wrestling: San Antonio, Texas</p><p>

Smokey Mountain Wrestling: Mid-Atlantic, Southeastern</p><p>

International Championship Wrestling: Kentucky</p><p>

World Wrestling Association: Indiana, Southeastern Ilinois</p><p>

United States Wrestling Association: Southern States</p><p>

Eastern Championship Wrestling: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania</p><p>

Central States Wrestling: Missouri, Kansas, Iowa</p><p>

St. Louis Wrestling Club: St. Louis, Missouri, Western Illinois</p><p>

Southeastern Championship Wrestling: Tennessee, Kentucky</p><p>

Pacific Northwest Wrestling: Oregon, Washington</p><p>

Stampede Wrestling: Calgary, Eastern Vancouver, Montana</p><p>

Mid-South Wrestling: Oklahoma, Texas</p><p>

Georgia Championship Wrestling: Georgia, Southern Ohio</p><p>

World Class Championship Wrestling: Texas, Southern Oklahoma</p><p>

Continental Wrestling Association: Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi</p><p>

Championship Wrestling from Florida: Florida</p><p>

American Wrestling Association: Minnesota, Northern Central States</p><p>

World Wide Wrestling Federation: Northeastern States</p><p>

Jim Crockett Promotions: Mid-Atlantic States</p>

If I remember correctly there are a few I don't think they own Pacific Northwest, which was a good stop for many big names, Piper, Raven, Larry Henning, and a few others all got their start their. You can always do Big Time Wrestling which was out of California. It was where Patterson wrestled as well as Rocky Johnson and Peter Maivia, I know either Mid South Wrestling or Georgia Championship Wrestling are not owned by Vince, probably Championship Wrestling from Florida, Which was Dusty and Kevin Sullivan's main stomping grounds, are useable as well

They do have something to do with the bolded as well. Florida Championship Wrestling was named in homage to it, and WWE owns the CWF video archives from their TV show.

thanks for all the info people, sounds like CWA or GFW are the best option, too bad there logos both suck lol

Well, since you're re-creating it in a sense you could always create a new logo. Plenty of logo makers out there for free if you're not good with photoshop. :)

yeah, ill have to find someone to "revitalize" the logos for me.

If you haven't been in there yet, check the Mods forum. There are a few folks here who have done and posted logos. Some are still taking requests but some aren't. You may be able to find a usable logo for the right initials from someone like Kamatcha. The banner likely wouldn't match then but at least you have a nice clean sharp logo.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_Video_Library#_ this will help you as well as anyone else wanting to do something like this. I was right CWF is not owned by Vince FCW was used as the name because of people associating it with the older company but it is not owned by them

That's actually false. WWE bought the CWF video library on March 2, 2006, when they were making the Dusty Rhodes DVD. It actually says in that link that they own CWF.

Archived