Guys, I'm not really sure what has happened there has been a large server load the past 2 days and then all hell broke out with SPAM a few hours back. I will keep monitoring throughout the day.

It was related to a change I made to give back new users the ability to post (hoping the other anti-spam settings would block the spammers).. it clearly didn't work, so we're back to the world of new users needing to be manually approved to post. :)

Was the large server load a problem that was going to stick around if there weren't changes to the way new users were being dealt with? I'm asking because I've seen plenty of spambot posts being made but not approved and that's the first I've seen that in months. Pretty sure new users were able to post but had limited PM privileges and were unable to post links until they had made a few posts... is that system not going to work any more cos it seemed to be doing pretty well until a couple of days ago. :)

Was the large server load a problem that was going to stick around if there weren't changes to the way new users were being dealt with? I'm asking because I've seen plenty of spambot posts being made but not approved and that's the first I've seen that in months. Pretty sure new users were able to post but had limited PM privileges and were unable to post links until they had made a few posts... is that system not going to work any more cos it seemed to be doing pretty well until a couple of days ago. :)

Actually... the new users were being restricted from posting at all, which is why you never found any messages from the spam bots in the message queue, they were all suppressed. The only new posters who gained the ability post were those who PM'ed or emailed me. Those users once approved then had to wait until the post-count hit 5 to post links and gain full PM rights, etc; that system has not been impacted.

This is purely one of those things that I was concerned that we were doing our customers a dis-service and thought that the new system (the restricted posts, etc) would restrict the spambots... it didn't they quickly gained the 5 posts needed to post links, etc. In all liklihood, the explosion yesterday was probably worse due to the fact that we haven't purged all the spam bots since they never posted to out themselves.

What you are seeing today is my continuing to tweak... I've given them all the ability to post.. but they sit in the moderation queue (as they did prior to the latest changes); it means all new users should eventually see their posts and not miss out... but that I'll have between 500 and 1000 messages to kill off a day (until we can get rid of all the spam bots).

Archived