'End' Of TEW2010 Awards - Thoughts Thread

I got to thinking about things and with the 'ending' of TEW2010 coming in December or perhaps January as many of us move on to the new TEW2013 game, I was wondering if anyone would be up for an awards thread like the end of year awards except it doesn't come at the end of the year. We could either make this open for the entire run of TEW2010 or we could make it just for the year of 2012 alone. This thread is where all thoughts to this matter should go, including categories. I want to find out if there is interest here before I really put any type of focus on it.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="km007" data-cite="km007" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="34309" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm intrigued, if that's enough of a commitment for you haha.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Intrigued is always a good thing.</p><p> </p><p> Some of the categories we've used in the past for Diary of the Year have been:</p><p> </p><p> Best Presentation</p><p> Best Kayfabe-Breaking Moments</p><p> Best New Writer</p><p> Best Match Write-Ups</p><p> Best Tag Team</p><p> Best Stable</p><p> Most Improved Diary Of The Year</p><p> Most Compelling Non-Wrestler</p><p> Show Of The Year</p><p> Most Compelling Wrestler</p><p> Best Overall Writer</p><p> Rocky Maivia Award</p><p> Match Of The Year</p><p> Storyline Of The Year</p><p> Best Promos</p><p> Real World Diary Of The Year</p><p> Cornellverse Diary Of The Year</p><p> Overall Diary Of The Year</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="km007" data-cite="km007" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="34309" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I would definitely vote on those. I feel like I've read, or am aware of, enough diaries to make an actual conscious vote.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Final Countdown" data-cite="The Final Countdown" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="34309" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think it's an interesting idea.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The first question that needs to be answered is whether this should cover the expanse of TEW2010 in general or whether it should simply be for the year 2012 alone, like we've always done with the year end awards. Was there one for 2011? I can't remember.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BHK1978" data-cite="BHK1978" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="34309" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>You could always do a Top 50 Diaries for TEW10, much like they did for TEW08.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> If someone wants to do a top 50 diaries for TEW10, then I would definitely be supportive of it. But I am looking at more of a Year End Awards type of thing here.</p>

I helped w/ the 2010 EOYA, and I would be willing to play some sort of role, if this ends up running, in the running of it :)

I've been reading old diaries recently (Angel's USPW (the one w/ Sammy Bach debuting), jhd1's SWF most recently.)

I'll get with you soon in pm and we'll discuss how this is going to go. If anyone else wants to help, please let me know either here or in pm.

The main problem I see with these awards is that the older diaries will probably not get any love. I am talking about a great diary like Dragonmack's NYCW diary (Just using that diary as an example there are a ton of older TEW10 era diaries that would fall into the same category as well.). That diary eneded over a year ago but it was still a great early era TEW10 diary.

What will probably end up happening is, the newer diaries will get the votes because they are fresher in people's mind. I am not saying that this is a bad idea, I think this should probably just cover the last year or so instead of the entire TEW10 era.

The main problem I see with these awards is that the older diaries will probably not get any love. I am talking about a great diary like Dragonmack's NYCW diary (Just using that diary as an example there are a ton of older TEW10 era diaries that would fall into the same category as well.). That diary eneded over a year ago but it was still a great early era TEW10 diary.

Then do pushes to get them back in people's minds.

Monkeypox still gets namechecked today. He did one diary, at the release of 10, which ended too early when he vanished.

Citizen Kane has only recently slipped from #1 in great movies rankings. At the time, it was ignored by a chunk of the press. And it's been *quite* a while since it was new.

Seriously, the whole point of doing an 'overall' award is to rabble rouse for the great forgottens...

To ensure older diaries a chance at where they SHOULD be, focused upon for the great they did, you would have to have a big post where some of these big projects could be on full-display (linked or something). People could then add links of some of their favorites in the following posts; adding to the top main post. More or less, this would make it so everyone had room to go into look at these former projects.

Sadly though, it may be a daunting task.

Either way, I like the idea of a big ending to TEW2010. It really put forth a lot of great projects along the way!

I am currently working with 20LEgend behind the scenes to set this whole thing up. Just an FYI. When nominations are placed on the board, they will include a link to the diary so that people can go back and have a look at what has come before. That's the best way that I can think of for the older ones to get some focus when it comes to the voting round.

I am currently working with 20LEgend behind the scenes to set this whole thing up. Just an FYI. When nominations are placed on the board, they will include a link to the diary so that people can go back and have a look at what has come before. That's the best way that I can think of for the older ones to get some focus when it comes to the voting round.

To be honest, I think fears that older diaries will be left behind isn't something people should be worried about. Newer members won't remember the first few diaries, but the rest of us will. I fully intend on nominating your Slow Ride (or even What? This Again?), for example, and there's little chance that the likes of Bigpapa's TCW diary, E-V's earlier SWF diaries, or NoNeck's PWC effort are likely to be forgotten. The best diaries are the ones that stay in the memory, and so by definition they will not be overlooked - at least in nominations. If nothing else, giving newer members the chance to look back over the classics of TEW2010 is just as important as rewarding the eventual winners for their efforts.

I am not sure if that is the case though, I mean look at the HOF voting. People who probably should have been voted into the HOF have not because they are not fresh on people's minds because they might not have written a diary or have been active on the board in recent years.

Yeah, remember one of those old diaries that covered TCW last year that lasted 5 months in-game time and came runner-up in a diary of the month contest?............:p

I was going to mention your effort too actually, but I ended up with an enormous list and so went with a variety of companies instead :D

I am not sure if that is the case though, I mean look at the HOF voting. People who probably should have been voted into the HOF have not because they are not fresh on people's minds because they might not have written a diary or have been active on the board in recent years.

Unfortunately that's always going to be the case to some degree, but that doesn't necessarily mean we should just give up. You mention this sort of situation a lot - the best thing you can do about it is to bring these diaries up, point people in their direction, nominate them and vote for them. If they don't win then fair enough, but at least you've tried. You can't give up before it's even started! And frankly, at the end of the day, does it really matter all that much? I'm sure if LoNdOn's diary, which was excellent by the way, didn't get nominated for whatever it is we are supposed to be voting for he wouldn't be too upset. Just like I wouldn't be, angeldelayette wouldn't be, BP wouldn't be, Eisen-verse wouldn't be...

It's only a bit of fun, after all :)

Archived