"Blood Red Turns Dollar Green" by Paul O'Brien

bigtplaystew

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13612342-blood-red-turns-dollar-green

I love reading wrestling books, but my choices are limited. Tons of great biographies and autobiographies. But not much great fiction. This book is definitely part of the latter.

I read it in three days. I haven't gone through a book this fast since I was a kid -well older teen :-)- reading Harry Potter the first time. It's AMAZING. I don't want to tell you guys too much about the plot but it takes place in the 70s and involves the seedy dealings of an NWA-like territorial alliance. It's gritty, it's dirty, it's nasty. It's a hell of a great read. I can't recommend this enough to fans of pro wrestling and readers in general. It's definitely got a unique voice and tells the story a bit differently than expected. It was a pleasure all around. I can't say enough good things about it.

Anyone else read it yet? Plan on it? Also I welcome anyone to suggest some other works of fiction in the pro wrestling work if they can think of one. There's an e-book on Kindle that's broken up into 5 parts called "From Parts Unknown" which was a nice simple read. No where near as deep or as entertaining as "Blood Red Turns Dollar green" though.

Guest PaulOBrien
I'm having no luck here today! I've registered to say thanks to bigtplaystew for his kind words about my book. I found them because of a google alert and I've been trying to register(my fault) for days to say thanks for picking up a copy and I'm delighted you like it that much.

As far as not being allowed to link, I believe it's protection against spam, and you can link after a certain number of posts.

Also, I believe until you get a certain number your posts may be moderated...

I think.

But on the subject at hand. I'm highly tempted to pick this book up on my nook. Just have to cut down my "to read" pile a bit more before buying anything new.

-edit- not moderated, that's not the word I'm looking for... I meant to say I think they may need to be approved before showing up.

I loved it! I hope we get more :)

When I saw that first post I was like "oh no I hope I'm not in trouble for posting that link!" Haha. It's a great book, sir. The only reason I said the kind words is because the book deserved it. There's a lot of intelligent wrestling fans on this board that I think would really love it if they gave it a shot as well. I've gotten recommendations for some really great stuff from this forum. I just want to return the favor and tell people how much I think they'd love this story.

Guest PaulOBrien
As far as not being allowed to link, I believe it's protection against spam, and you can link after a certain number of posts.

Also, I believe until you get a certain number your posts may be moderated...

I think.

But on the subject at hand. I'm highly tempted to pick this book up on my nook. Just have to cut down my "to read" pile a bit more before buying anything new.

-edit- not moderated, that's not the word I'm looking for... I meant to say I think they may need to be approved before showing up.

Ah, that's the reason for my struggles. Thanks.

Also, if you are thinking of picking up a copy - now might be the time. Blood Red Turns Dollar Green is now available on storybundle dot com. That means you can buy it and four other crime/thriller titles for a pay-what-you-like price. So you could get five books for a $1 if you like.

Either way, thanks for thinking about it. Let me know if I can answer any questions you might have.

Paul

Guest PaulOBrien
I loved it! I hope we get more :)

When I saw that first post I was like "oh no I hope I'm not in trouble for posting that link!" Haha. It's a great book, sir. The only reason I said the kind words is because the book deserved it. There's a lot of intelligent wrestling fans on this board that I think would really love it if they gave it a shot as well. I've gotten recommendations for some really great stuff from this forum. I just want to return the favor and tell people how much I think they'd love this story.

I really do appreciate your enthusiasm for this book. I would love to give you the second one for free when it comes out early next year. Can you email me through my site paulobrien dot info?

Thanks,

Paul

PS As a matter of fact, I would love to give some books away in here. How about the first five to email me from my site gets a digital copy of Blood Red Turns Dollar Green?

It's a gritty crime thriller set in the territory days and is endorsed by Mick Foley.

Here's a press release for the book.

----

Former WWE Champion Mick Foley has urged "anyone who likes wrestling or anyone who likes fiction" to pick up a copy of Blood Red Turns Dollar Green - a debut novel from long time Irish playwright, Paul O'Brien.

O’Brien’s book, a crime fiction novel set in the US Pro-Wrestling industry in the 1970’s, was described by Foley as “a great wrestling novel, something every wrestling fan will enjoy.”

Joining Paul O’Brien in Edinburgh last week, Foley said:

“Paul O’Brien has really done his research with this book. I didn't know what to expect but he's really quite a writer. He has captured the feel of old-school professional wrestling territories almost perfectly and it really brings these characters to life. The action in the ring was the way it went down back then. And that ending. I've already asked him how long do I have to wait for more.

Foley, himself a five time New York Times bestselling author continued:

I've been thinking about writing a wrestling novel for quite sometime, but if I am going to do that then I'm going to have to set my sights really, really, high because I've read Blood Red Turns Dollar Green. It’s an awesome read and I’m delighted to endorse it in any way I can.”

When O’Brien heard about the WWE Superstars endorsement he immediately wanted to give something back:

"Well, Mick Foley didn't have to help me out with this book is the way I look at it. He could have simply liked it and not made an effort to get the word out - but that doesn't seem to be his style. He just likes to help people out. I contacted him more than a year ago and asked if he would read a chapter for charity and it grew into this. I have long admired his work with RAINN and was only too honored to offer 50% of the book's sales to RAINN. It's the least I can do.

The writer also says he hopes the book will appeal to fans and non-fans alike:

“Today's professional wrestling is a shiny well oiled machine but back then it was anything but. It had a lawless feel to it, a shady quality. It's was all cash, under the counter, run by a syndicate that no one could talk about. These men were Wiseguys way before anyone else. A non wrestling fan described the book as what he thought would happen 'if the Soprano's got into the match fixing game.'

But to have a book endorsed by someone of Mick Foley’s stature is just a dream come true. Mick is one of the people who took the wrestling business from the era I depict in the book to the global mega-business it is today. For him to say what he has said is as good as it gets, and I hope wrestling fans - and those non-fans who are interested in just a good crime story – will enjoy it as much as he did”.

Archived