Starting off a thread for a popular promotion, since I didn't see one created for it yet.

Basics for NYCW

1. Old School style- meaning WCW back in 80's and wrestling in general in the 70's style. Brawlers, regular wrestlers, technicians will do well. Spot monkeys, psycho's, cruiserweights and luchadors usually won't ( and in a lot of cases will be restricted from being hired.)

2. Main Event is ( with the exception of Roger Cage) old, older, and even older!

3. You start off as Small, but are very close to Regional size, and should hit it within the first few months with good shows.

4. relatively limited starting funds $100,000 ( and likelyhood of getting " have minimum X dollars in bank" goals)

5. Part of the Confederation of the Territories with MAW,CZCW,4C and MPWF ( not sure on the mexican fed as at work and dont have game in front of me) giving access to a wider range of talent to use in trades and to scout.

Early challenges

1. Vast majority of your top stars are well over 40 ( and in a couple of cases, 50 ) meaning you need to plan early how to deal with possible retirements as well as subpar ring performance, outside of Flash and possibly Frank.

2. Unless you do something drastic, you will most likely lose your top star, and main title holder, Roger Cage, in the first month.

3. Your funds are relatively limited at $100k to start, and likely to be more limited if you use owner goals, so you can't afford to really go on a big spending spree for talent.

4. Your old school product provides a limitation on the types of wrestlers that will actually be really successful in your promotion.

Good things at beginning of NYCW.

1. You still have Steve Flash, he is a rock you can build around for at least the first year. Honest Frank is also useful.

2. Unlike Stomper, who didn't want to play with others, Vessey joined the COTT, giving you access to a wider range of wrestlers to bring in to keep things fresh, both in storylines and in matchups. Also, you can send your guys out in the trades to get more work per month and hopefully improve faster.

3. You have a couple of solid tag teams at the start with Sanders-Mauler and Waldorf-Stately.

Strategy suggestions early.

1. Use and abuse the hell out of the ability to talent trade. This provides numerous benefits like scouting potential hires, masking your weaker ring performers with solid skill wrestlers from other feds, giving your talent more work per month and keeping matchups fresh, just to name a few.

2. Bring in at least one other good main eventer to cover the potential loss of Cage, and retirements of people like Bailey and Whistler ( although he will probably wrestle till he's 60!). My normal choice has usually been Fumihiro Ota, whose always available at the start and is reasonably priced, but there are numerous options, especially in this version where your user character can be any of the people in the Cornellverse.

3. Get ready for the jump to Regional early. ( expanded roster, need for more upper level talent being the main things.)

Please share any impressions, thoughts, strategies or experiences you have with NYCW.

For me, there are three things you need to do early on:

1) Have about a six or seven in negotiating, then talk to as many of your guys as you can and renegotiate their contracts. You'll probably have to up their show fee a bit, but bringing down the downsides is a big help.

2) Rock Downpour and Michael Bull are overpriced- cutting them for cheaper workers is another good idea. I know you don't need Announcers according to the game, but I always have one anyway and there's a couple who're pretty cheap. As for refs, Kurt Lovenkrantz does the business for a smallish sum.

3) Fire Geoff Borne. He's not very good to start with, isn't a good fit for NYCW anyways and is hideously overpriced. Nicki and Fern aren't much use either.

4) Be very weary of who you sign. My feeling is that you actually don't need anyone at the start (relative to your size, your roster delivers good stuff), but if Rog leaves look at someone like Cameron Vessey, who brings a positive relationship to the table.

5) The Southern Stars are awesome. Well, I think so, anyway.

Really enjoying NYCW, im using Cameron Vessey as my character, i have fired Black Hat Bailey, Cheerleader Nicki, Honest Frank, Rick Sanders, Rock Downpour, Masked Mauler, Whistler, Michael Bull & Fern Hathaway and Roger Cage was signed to SWF.

I'm running 2 shows a month and brought in 13 people:

Dane O'Hara : Replacement for Rock Downpour

Kurt Lovenkrantz : Replacement for Michael Bull

Cal Sanders, Zak Attack & Rex Reeves : Will work as a jobbers

Weird Waldo Odlaw & Cerberus : Teamed up to form The Psycho Ward (Managed by Clash Rotten/The New York Doll)

Cheech Kong, KC Glenn & Brady/Bradley Blaze: Signed with the aim of being future main eventers or upper midcarders

Jebediah: To team with Animal Harker to allow me to push Tennesse William as a singles wrester

Little Miss Sunshine: To manage Tennesse William

Kanishoki: Returned from hiatus and will work as a monster heel to be transitional champion or challenger if im struggling to find a heel contender

Title changes:

NYCW Empire : Cameron Vessey won from Roger Cage as he was leaving

NYCW Tri-State: Steve Flash, to put on solid midcard matches with hopefully anyone on the roster

NYCW Tag Team: The Psycho Ward, will feud with The Ring Generals for most of the year and may use the freebird rule with the Psychos

Thanks for starting DM

First off Lee Wright becomes the booker :)

As others do I immediately start a changing of the guard at the top. Honest Frank and Flash can still go, but I give a really reduced role to guys like Bailey and Whistler, having them be part of angles, tags and run ins.

Two guys I grabbed right away were Ford Gumble and Shady K, they work well together and make a solid top of the card feud. I also bring in Rayne man and Dirty Frank (who I team with Honest Frank) as well as Matthew Keith for a short program with Cage, as he is hard to hold onto for more than 2-3 months.

Get rid of Fern and Nicki and being in Boss Man Brayfield to manage the old school heels as he is cheap and works well with them.

Cut Animal Harker and replace him with Kentucky Bill, to form a better southern tag team with Tennesee William and feud with the (renamed) Yukon Express. Also get rid of Monty Trescard and bring in some other good young hands that can grow (Giant Brody, Roger Monteiro)

When the dust settles I have 22-24 wrestlers, going as low as possible on the downside for the new guys and renegotiating with the vets.

I plan to lose money for several months, but will have a set roster when I hit regional. Will also use talent trade for one offs, and limited runs to keep storylines fresh and avoid spending too much money on full time guys.

Just started a game with this promotion. Bumping up to make it easier to find for me.

At the top of each page in a thread is "Thread Tools" click it a drop down will appear click subscribe to thread. Then you can go to "User CP" in the top left, once there click on My subscriptions and all subscribed threads will be listed.

Finally got to D- pop in the Tri-State running a weekly show. Selling out my own 2,000 seat venue.

It's 2015...

TV and PPV is still a long ways away, especially since my roster lost some if its oomf (Steve Flash retired, released; Randy Bumfhole was stolen from me).

<p>Finding it really tough this version with smaller feds. Flash has been pretty rubbish for me - in fact pretty much all the old guys have. I've tried to push Brandon Smith (as American Patriot) and Sammy The Shark up to the top of the card quite quickly.</p><p> </p><p>

Finding it hard to get above mid-40s show ratings. Briefly went up to regional but battles knocked me back down again.</p><p> </p><p>

Also finding it hard to boost my guy's popularity - seems to go down for the top guys no matter what. Flash in particular has dropped about 10 points despite barely losing a match.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="LFC_chris" data-cite="LFC_chris" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="34947" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div> Flash in particular has dropped about 10 points despite barely losing a match.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Might have been a bug, recent patch note:</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="34947" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>- Tweak: minor alteration to overness penalty for declining workers</div></blockquote>

<p>Biggest thing to help advance NYCW is you need to be at least #2 if not #1 in the regional battles. That usually means having to do better than PSW.</p><p> </p><p>

Early on Akima Brave ( aka Malili Umaga) can do quite well for you.</p><p> </p><p>

You really need to upgrade your main event. Get the young guys like Youngman, or the Gauges or KC Glenn to solidify your midcard and give you stars to build up after the first year. Look for talent that is over ( in the mid or lower C or upper D) popularity that usually gets free when TCW,SWF or USPW does its bounce to cult.</p><p> </p><p>

If after 2 years you have built up a decent amount of money, look at running two shows. It will build your popularity ( and the workers skills) faster.</p><p> </p><p>

NYCW is difficult, moreso than in earlier versions, and you may cap out at high regional for several years. But the key is basically putting on C level shows or better as soon as possible and maintaining that. That will usually ensure you take at least #2 in regional battles and don't lose any overness.</p><p> </p><p>

You need to build the overness in the Tri-State area of the younger good ring performers by gradually transferring it from the over workers who aren't good. Build heat through storylines, using angles and matches, and tailor angles to the workers strengths. Rating on entertainment, menace and sex appeal ( whichever is their strongest stats, preferably low B or above) is far preferred to overness. While overness is always factored into an angle grade, you don't want that to be your only evaluator as most of your talent will likely be D and below, and you want C level angles, especially from people in storylines and main event matches. Switch those who won't help an angle to non rated if they dont have another area that is highly rated. that way you still get heat for the storylines.</p>

Another thing making it difficult for me is Vessey won't let me change the product at all. I wanted to shorten the expected match lengths and also increase the match ratio up to 80% (as there's a lack of guys with high entertainment/menace on the roster) but he wouldn't let me.

Another thing making it difficult for me is Vessey won't let me change the product at all. I wanted to shorten the expected match lengths and also increase the match ratio up to 80% (as there's a lack of guys with high entertainment/menace on the roster) but he wouldn't let me.

In-game editor to the rescue!

Yeah but I don't really want to cheat.

Kudos to you sir for staying in the spirit of the greatest fed in the c-verse!

The Bryan Holmes user character is an awesome idea.

Might I recommend the signings of Jack Griffith and Paul Steadyfast? Steadyfast I know was an NYCW alum from the 05 days I believe, and Griffith would definitely fit NYCW even if he's a shell of his former self.

Anyway, I just picked up the game and I'm rearing to start my first (of many) NYCW game.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pickledmidget
i started a game using NYCW. i am using the current roster and and only have one storyline going. i cant get any better than an E on anything. i am a noob and guess i dont understand the way to start or book i guess!

i started a game using NYCW. i am using the current roster and and only have one storyline going. i cant get any better than an E on anything. i am a noob and guess i dont understand the way to start or book i guess!

I'm certainly no expert but it would probably help to say what kind of segments you're booking so people can see where you are going wrong. Steve Flash is old and if he hasn't hit decline yet he probably will soon but he can still pull decent match grades. Roger Cage is probably the best talent on the starting roster, good entertainment and performance skills so I would abuse him as much as possible before a bigger company poaches him if I was playing NYCW.

You want to have more storylines, because those help build momentum and heat for the people in them, which in turn can lead to higher match grades.

Also, there are several factors that can influence grades for NYCW, especially main eventers, as most of them cant do more than 10 minutes of a match. Playing with the Dirt Sheet on can give you an idea of where you are getting points taken away, like bad gimmick, overused, etc.

You can't get rid of every negative, but you can minimize a lot of them.

Also road agent notes can help, like open match, scripted for really bad workers, etc.

Even under best conditions with the original roster, you'll probably pull D's for the first several shows, but since your starting popularity is E, thats okay because it increases you popularity in the region. You can also bolster your roster with a couple additions that aren't working elsewhere to start the game. Akima Brave aka Malili Umaga and Fumihiro Ota are both available at the start, can easily replace Black Hat Bailey, Whistler, and\or Steve Flash if any of them retire early. And they can pull decent high D low C matches.

• 2 weeks later...

Owner goals are killing me. I've lost Flash,Black Hat Bailey, and now Rick Sanders because owner goals won't let me resign. Roger Cage got scooped up early on.

My Title Scene looks like this:

Findlay O'Farraday beat Black Hat Bailey for the Empire title. He's held it for a year so far and is in a feud with Bulldozer Brandon Smith.

The Ring Generals have been in a feud with Sanders/Mauler for over a year and just dethroned the champs since I cannot resign Sanders.

Tennessee William turned on Harker and started his singles run eventually winning the Tri-State regional title in a tournament.

I need to bring in some more big names but I'm not sure who would fit.

I'm making money each month and usually have D to D- shows but not winning the regional battle is killing me and preventing my popularity from going up.

mind sharing some tips ;)

Owner goals are killing me. I've lost Flash,Black Hat Bailey, and now Rick Sanders because owner goals won't let me resign. Roger Cage got scooped up early on.

My Title Scene looks like this:

Findlay O'Farraday beat Black Hat Bailey for the Empire title. He's held it for a year so far and is in a feud with Bulldozer Brandon Smith.

The Ring Generals have been in a feud with Sanders/Mauler for over a year and just dethroned the champs since I cannot resign Sanders.

Tennessee William turned on Harker and started his singles run eventually winning the Tri-State regional title in a tournament.

I need to bring in some more big names but I'm not sure who would fit.

I'm making money each month and usually have D to D- shows but not winning the regional battle is killing me and preventing my popularity from going up.

mind sharing some tips ;)

Your starting roster isn't going to win the regional battles. Your best in ring worker at beginning is Steve Flash, and usually he's in decline, which will affect his grades. I assume you have a 'can't sign over age 45' goal.

Really, other than Flash's ability to train younger workers, you haven't lost anything. Bailey can't last long enough to main event anymore, and retires in a few months anyways. Sanders is decent but hardly irreplaceable. And Flash is declining rapidly most games. Cage pretty much always gets stolen by SWF early, nothing that can be done about that.

Generally, to get better grades with NYCW, you need good in ring workers, Brawler, Technician, Regular Wrestlers are your bread and butter, preferably with good to great performance row skills , esp Psychology.

Malili Umaga is a great pickup thats available from the beginning ( aka Akima Brave) who can easily be your main eventer and provide you those C level grades. Fumihiro Ota is also a solid veteran that can main event and provide good matches. Both can be gotten right at beginning.

Also, you want to bolster your midcard. Vessey saddled you with a bunch of hosses but no real breakout stars. Sammy the Shark supposedly can be developed into one, but I have never really seen him break out.

Veteran talent for midcard that can give decent grades and provide skill improvements to your young talent include Thomas Morgan and Cal Sanders.

Ernest Youngman is a rookie thats available at the start that can rise quickly up the card and give good skills.

And the biggest thing is you are part of the COTT. Which means you have access to all the workers that MAW, 4C and CZCW have. (Also OLLIE, but luchadors aren't that helpful) Especially in CZCW Marc Speed and Frankie Perez can do well in NYCW matches. Abuse this ability to get more good workers on your shows and your match grades will improve.

NYCW is a challenge in that you have to overcome a somewhat limiting product, an owner that won't allow you to change products, an over the hill main event scene, your biggest star gets stolen early most times, and only an average to lousy midcard, with Brandon Smith being your best option there.

You need to bolster your main event with whatever is the best talent in terms of skill and overness available, preferably not working elsewhere as NYCW will come in last on promotion conflicts due to low, add a couple good ring workers to midcard to help grades and train young members, and try to add a couple of promising rookies. You have to do some angles, but minimize the amount of time used for them per show till you can get or build people with good charisma and good overness and only use your top guys with charisma for angles.

You want to get your shows in the C to C- range as that will help with the regional battles.

Here's my current Roster:

Main Eventers

HEELS

• Al Coleman
  • Roy Edison
  • Roderick Remus
  • Findlay O'Farraday

FACE

• Bulldozer Brandon Smith
  • Wooton Fitzpaine
  • Matt Hocking
  • Dean Waldorf
  • Rayne Man

-------------

Upper Midcarders

HEELS

• Honest Frank
  • The Masked Mauler
  • Casey Valentine
  • Monty Trescarde
  • Ricky Turner

FACES

• Thimbleby Langton

----------------

Midcarders

HEELS

• Tennessee William
  • Andrew Harper
  • Curtis Jenkins

FACES

• Sammy The Shark
  • Marv Statler
  • Stanley Lyttle(Repackaged Regular Joe)
  • Storm Spillane
  • Animal Harker

-------------------

Lower Midcarder

HEELS

• Waylon Walls(Loaned from MAW)
  • Howlin' Mad Mort
  • Rex Reeves
  • Ray Snow
  • Whitehorse Whittaker

FACES

• Ben Williams
  • TJ Bailey
  • Geoff Borne

----------------

Opener

HEELS

• Davis Wayne Newton
  • Alan Parent

FACES

• Thomas Morgan
  • Zak Attack
  • Cal Sanders
  • Chris Flynn

--------------------

Enhancement

HEELS

• Nigel Svensson

FACES

• Remmy Lyttle(Remmy Honeyman)
  • Leftie Wilkes

Managers

Haley Lyttle(Haley Buck)

Monica Brooks

Danielle Jones

Announcer/Colour Commentator

Dan O'Hara

Kenny O'Quinn

Referee

Bret Graveson

Road Agents

Duncan Kendall(User)

Larry Vessey

Championships

Empire - Findlay O'Farraday

Tag Team - The Ring Generals

Tri-State - Tennessee Williams

Each month I make a profit from around $5,000 to $15,000 and I run shows mostly in the Ministry.

Animal Harker and Williams are feuding after Williams turned on his partner

Findlay O'Farraday and Bulldozer Smith are feuding for the main strap and when they face off I usually get D- to D match ratings. Brought in Waylon Walls as sort of an enforcer/bodyguard for Findlay.

Williams and Spillane right now are my jobber team

and the Lyttles I hope to slowly move up the ranks.

I'm thinking of teaming two heels together so as to give the Ring Generals some competition but I'm not sure who to team right now.

Honest Frank pulls in some decent interviews especially when I let him go off script but right now he is angry at me for making him lose at the last event.

I doubt he has much time left with the company but I'd like to get the most out of him while he is here

To me, your main event feels a little light. Now, as you are over a year in game things might have changed somewhat but from what I see, I don't think you have anyone thats over a D or D+ pop in Tri-State area. Unless they are super-skilled, most wrestlers matches will usually be within a full grade or so of their popularity, so throwing two guys together with average -good performance skills who are both in the D pop range, you probably are going to get D level matches.

If you are regional, you can sign guys with C- popularity levels and even some C pop level guys. Check out names released from TCW or SWF. Even if they are only average in the ring, the overness level does factor into match grade. And if they aren't very good, having them lose to your main eventers will help transfer some of that overness to your main eventers that you want to push.

Right now Findlay O'Farraday and Roy Edison are the only two workers with a popularity of D in the Tri-state area. Is there a way to search for workers by popularity?

If I can't find a likely candidate I'm thinking at the next event I'll have a handicap match between Findlay O'Farraday/Edison vs Bulldozer smith.

Archived