Mid-Atlantic Wrestling- Home of the Next Generation

MAW has always been 'My' promotion on TEW if I play a starting fed. Just the right size to tell a story. Im judging my bets based entirely off the diary rather than any in game rep;

Findley O’Farraday & Citizen X vs. C-V-2

FOR THE TAG TEAM TITLES

The Aces of Mayhem vs. The Dynamite Express ©

FOR THE AMERICAN TITLE

Miller Fforde vs. Hollywood Bret Starr ©

Ernest Youngman vs. George Wolfe

Nigel Svensson vs. Mean Jean Cattley

American Cobras vs. Robbie Wright & The Architect

Keep on rocking Mr F :D

The Heels are a real team, not just allies of convenience.

FOR THE TAG TEAM TITLES

No changes just yet.

FOR THE AMERICAN TITLE

Not just yet.

I know you like him.

MJC is a top guy, and will be treated as such.

MERKIN COBRUUUUUUUZZZZ!

I was surprised you didn't go back to NYCW, but really enjoying this

With Regis on this one, always back the actual team

FOR THE TAG TEAM TITLES

FOR THE AMERICAN TITLE

Svensson isn't anywhere near over enough to beat The Mean Machine

See first pick

• 2 weeks later...

Right then- sorry this hasn't been updated in a while, I had other things to deal with. Here's the fan question, and the show will be up tomorrow-ish. Probably.

This one comes from Regis:

Question for Citizen X: Well, you warned us about the 1%, but everyone booed you for years anyway. How does it feel to finally have the people on your side?

Citizen X: Honestly, it makes me sad to see what's happened. Yes, the people cheer me now, and that support gives me a platform to try and convince people to enact direct action and change society, but it shouldn't have come to this point. It should never have been allowed to get this far.

MAW Wrestling Classic

Live to DVD from the Stanley Hall

Friday, Week 4, February 2013

Audience: 300 (SOLD OUT!)

The Show

Mean Jean Cattley vs. Nigel Svensson

This was a good match, if perhaps a little too long given Nige’s lack of popularity out here. Still, he’s good enough to hold up his end, and even if they weren’t huge on seeing that much of Svensson the crowd love to watch Jeano work, especially when he’s beating on a supposed rookie (Nigel’s been around for a few years, but he’s still young enough and new enough to MAW to sell as an inexperienced young guy). As you might expect, this was a technical bout with a big emphasis on exchanging holds and trying for the submission rather than the pin; as you might imagine, Jeano was able to control the match for the most part, but Nigel hung on in there and showed definite signs of improvement as the match went on. Of course, that just meant that Jean stepped things up a bit, and when Nigel was able to lock in the Hyper Extension Arm Lock Jean was quick to close the match down, grabbing a rope break before delivering a hard knee to the gut and hitting the Mood Swing for the victory.

Winner: Mean Jean Cattley Match Rating: D+

This one was pretty much what you’d expect from a work-in-progress match-up: good, but nothing special. Given time, though, I could see Robbie and The Architect turning into a really solid tag team, and whilst the Cobras aren’t amazing yet they have a lot of potential, both as a team and as individuals. Storm Spillane in particular is a very promising competitor; given time and a couple of good breaks he could become something really special. Of course, that would necessitate breaking up his team with Marvel Malloy, and that would definitely hurt Malloy’s chances; he’s got promise but needs a lot of work, and without a strong partner backing him up he’ll definitely struggle to make an impact or develop the way he needs to. The heels, on the other hand, are already closer to being the finished article; The Architect in particular has a lot of upside and potential to work with. As for Robbie, he needs to work hard on getting his offence up to par but has the charisma to carry him through whilst he does so, and hopefully this partnership will come together and give him the room to develop. Given that higher upside it wasn’t surprising that the heels took the win here, The Architect taking it with a Blueprint on Malloy whilst Robbie clotheslined Spillane off the apron.

Winners: Robbie Wright & The Architect Match Rating: D

Hollywood Bret Starr vs. Miller Fforde

In any other situation, Bret would have walked away with this one easily. At the moment, however, he needs to drop the American Title before we go any further, and Miller’s got the momentum to serve as at least a transitional champ whilst we sort out exactly where people stand on the undercard. And to be fair, he held up his end as well as he could- sure, he’s no superstar, but he gets the job done and didn’t show any major problems (other than gasping for breath once the bell rang). As for Hollywood, I’m not sure we’ll keep him much longer- I do have some vague plans for him, but his reaction to the booking was poor, to say the least, and I get the feeling he might walk out if we don’t pacify him (which, frankly, I’m not interested in; if you can’t accept a couple of losses then you can go hang). The finish for this one was pretty similar; Bret went for the Starr Maker, only for Sam to block the pinfall after he realised the glove was still loaded (Bret’s got weirdly bony hands, and the glove was obviously too thick to be clean). Bret got into it with Sam at that point, allowing Miller to recover and dropkick him into the turnbuckle. That set Hollywood up for the Fforde Flip Face Crusher, giving Miller a shock 3-count.

Winner: Miller Fforde Match Rating: D-

It’s time for our first promo of the night, from Ernest Youngman

“The Wolfe name is one that carries a lot of heritage. Heck, George, everyone knows your dad’s one of the toughest hombres ever to come out of Canada, and I’ve seen enough of your work to know that you’re more than equal to his reputation. Me, I don’t have that family history, I don’t have that heritage that means everybody talks about me. No, what got people talking about me is the fact that I went all the way to the finals of the Rip Chord Invitational on just about my first day in the company. So you bring your A-game, George, ‘cos you better believe I will”

Given that Youngman’s still building up momentum and pop, this wasn’t at all bad for a debut promo.

Rating: D-

George Wolfe vs. Ernest Youngman

I’d thought about turning this into a feud- after all, these two are amongst our best young stars- but unfortunately they just don’t have the chemistry so consider that one scrapped. It’s a pity, really- both guys are future stars of the company, and feuding the two could’ve really launched them into the main event. Still, we can manage- I’ll have to move some of my other plans around, but for these two I’m willing to stretch a point. Ernest in particular will need some careful handling; he’s a fantastic wrestler but the fans haven’t taken to him so far, and the big challenge will be getting him over without ramming him down people’s throats. As for George, all he needs is some seasoning- he needs to improve a little, but that will come with time, and his no-nonsense style would make him a good opponent for guys like Findley or X. As it was, though, tonight was Ernest’s night, as he was able to reverse an attempt at the Running Powerslam into an O’Connor Roll to secure the fall.

Winner: Ernest Youngman Match Rating: D-

It’s promo time, as C-V-2 are on hand to hype the main event

“Findley, X, tonight we’re gonna beat you in that ring, we’re gonna take you backstage and we’re gonna show you something my Uncle Peter showed me when I was still at school!”

“Dude, seriously! Not cool!”

“What? He used to show me how to make guys submit”

“Not helping, Casey!”

“Fine. Tonight, Findley, X, we’re gonna shove our fists right up your…”

“That does it, you’re not talking anymore! Tonight, though, tonight is still gonna be our night. C-V-2 are the best tag team going today, and tonight, Findlay, X, you’re going to see just how dangerous we can be. We are going to break you in half and end your careers right there!”

“Yeah, and then we’re gonna…”

“Casey, shut it!”

“Okay, okay. You used to be cool, man, that’s all I’m saying”

This was a solid effort- we’re still finding our way with Casey’s character (essentially vicious but kind of childlike), but he and Cam are both good talkers.

Rating: D-

It’s time for the Tag Title match, as The Aces of Mayhem make their way to ringside. Unfortunately for them, the Dynamite Express are hot on their heels, jumping Ace and Max at ringside and unleashing a vicious beatdown. Ace is slammed onto the ring steps whilst Jonesy hits Max with the Fishermen’s Suplex on the apron. As for the crowd, they largely sat on their hands for this one, but it worked as a transition spot.

Rating: E-

The Aces of Mayhem vs. The Dynamite Express

I’d hoped that this one would deliver a great match, but whilst it was a good bout it didn’t step up from the last title match at the Invitational. Admittedly that may be more to the credit of the Cobras than the detriment of the Aces, but even so it raises questions about where the division goes from here. Still, this was a good match for our level, and whilst nobody really gave a stand-out performance here there was nothing dreadful either. That really sums up the champs, actually; neither Syd nor Jonesy are particularly amazing but they do have the ability to consistently deliver solid matches and anchor the tag division, and given time Syd in particular could become really special. As for the Aces, they’re something of a mixed bag; they’re good, but if they were ever going to be anything better, I kind of think it would’ve happened by now. The Dynamites took the win here with the Chop and Change on Max Mayhem (we sold it as the result of the pre-match beating; it’s the closest we can get to a dirty finish).

Winners: The Dynamite Express Match Rating: D

C-V-2 vs. Findley O’Farraday & Citizen X

You can always expect a certain level of quality when any of these guys are in the ring, and tonight was no exception. Okay, so maybe if you wanted to nitpick then you could ask questions about Findley’s one-dimensional offence or the lack of flash from anyone not named Citizen X, but I would respond with the fact that this was 100% improvised, and that when you’ve got guys like Findley and Cam in the ring it doesn’t matter if all they’re doing is brawling. Especially when Findley can pick Cameron up and throw him about one-handed, or when Cameron responded by kicking him so hard Findlay’s chest looked like raw beef. As for X and Casey, the leader of Occupy MAW used his speed and flashy offence to try and keep C-V-2 off balance, whilst Casey reminded everyone why he’s not just a ready source of slightly disturbing promo’s by not just going toe-to-toe with Findlay and X in throwing punches but also by comprehensively out-wrestling them both, eventually luring in X into hostile territory before wrapping him up in a scissored sleeper hold. Findley was able to get across and break the hold, but Casey blindsided him with a chop block before tagging in Cameron, who went after X with the Vessey Driver for the win.

Winners: C-V-2 Match Rating: C-

Overall Rating: D+, a step down from the Invitational but still good for our level.

So, let's take a look at the predictions and see how it went, hmm?

Tiberious4: 3/6

MichiganHero: 5/6

Jaded: 4/6

Midnightnick: 3/6

EZE85: 3/6, although kudos for being the only one to guess the American Title right

Regis: 4/6

Occasional Z: 4/6- I had a look at NYCW but couldn't find a way into them.

So, MichiganHero wins, and gets the chance to ask a question of any MAW star he wishes.

Next post will go up soonish, maybe this evening or tomorrow sometime.

News from the Boot Camp

“Hello Wrestling fans! You’re tuned to News from the Boot Camp, your weekly instalment of the Mid Atlantic Brand of Pro Wrestling. I’m Marv Earnest, and as always I’m joined by The Boss, Sam Keith himself, as we look ahead to MAW Super Showdown at the end of the month”

“It’s going to be one heck of a show, Marv, no two ways about it. As our long-term fans will know, at Super Showdown MAW’s brightest and best face off against challengers from around the wrestling world, with all our champions defending their titles against elite competitors from companies around the wrestling world. Not only that, but you’ll see all the finest stars of MAW in action as well”

“For example, in our first feature bout of the evening, American champ Miller Fforde will be defending his title against 4C Star, and former Boot Camp graduate, Davis Wayne Newton, whilst The Dynamite Express will be facing off against two of OLLIE’s top stars in El Critico and Silver Tiger with the MAW Tag Titles on the line.”

“For me, these two bouts show everything that’s great about MAW. Davis Newton isn’t a name that’s known to a lot of fans this side of the border but he’s one of the best young stars I’ve ever seen; you name it, he can probably do it. In any other world I’d have brought him in for the Invitational or on a regular contract, but if you’ve ever seen him in action you’ll know he’s got an attitude on him like Bret Starr at his worst. As for Miller Fforde, a man who owes everything to hard work and perseverance, he’s not going to just roll over and let Davis have his own way. As for the tag team ranks, we’re talking two of the finest in Mexico up against a team that drove Natural Storm out of MAW- there is literally nothing Cameron Jones and Syd Collier aren’t capable of, when they put their minds to it”

“Our Main Event, meanwhile, will see CZCW and NYCW’s Malili Umaga step into that ring with Cameron Vessey, Mean Jean Cattley and Findley O’Farraday, in a four-way thriller with the Mid Atlantic Grand Championship on the line”

“Malili Umaga is a great young wrestler from Samoa, but how will he measure up against three of the best on their home turf? That’s the questions Malili wants answered, and that’s why he specifically asked for this match to be booked.”

“We’re also going to see some domestic action as well at the Showdown, as The Aces of Mayhem take on Wild & Wicked, the newly formed team of Robbie Wright and The Architect”

“Robbie and The Architect formed their team after the Rip Chord Invitational and so far it’s produced good results- last month against the American Cobras they produced one heck of a victory. At Super Showdown they’ll be looking to establish themselves as top contenders with a win over the Aces of Mayhem, one of the most established teams in the company”

“Not only that, we’re going to have Ernest Youngman, George Wolfe, Bradley Blaze and the Boot Camp’s newest graduate, Deuce Deadline, all in action, all available on DVD, Download and Streaming from Wrestle Factory Video. I’m Marv Earnest, and that was the news from the Boot Camp!”

Card for MAW Super Showdown

FOR THE MID ATLANTIC GRAND CHAMPIONSHIP

Malili Umaga vs. Cameron Vessey © vs. Findley O’Farraday vs. Mean Jean Cattley

Citizen X vs. Casey Valentine

FOR THE MAW TAG TEAM TITLES

Golden Silver (El Critico & Silver Tiger) vs. The Dynamite Express ©

FOR THE MAW AMERICAN TITLE

Miller Fforde © vs. Davis Wayne Newton

The Aces of Mayhem vs. Wild & Wicked

Ernest Youngman vs. Deuce Deadline

Bradley Blaze vs. George Wolfe

Card for MAW Super Showdown

Champ's always a good bet.

Sets up a good match against the champ later on.

Somehow, I don't think that you'll send the titles to Mexico.

Not so soon after a change.

Yeah, okay, let's take a gamble.

I see big things for Ernest.

Brad's cool, but he's young and needs polish.

Archived