Mid-Atlantic Wrestling- Home of the Next Generation

MAW-Home of the Next Generation

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/CVFP_IndianMale_001_zpsb47d24b5.jpg

The name’s Bulsara, Faroukh Bulsara. Chances are that you’ve never heard of me, unless you’re the world’s most obsessive wrestling nerd, but if you ever saw a two-bit indy show with more wrestlers on the card than fans in the audience then you probably saw me. You name a country, I’ve worked a show there. Japan, New Zealand, Mexico, Ireland, Canada, Germany…heck, even Morocco, and there’s maybe a dozen wrestling fans across the whole continent of Africa. All that travelling, by the way, leaves you with two things; first, you quickly learn how to say ‘look out, that fan’s going to try and knife you’ in at least two dozen languages. Second, you experience first hand every bad idea, dumb storyline and lousy delivery of wrestling storylines a booker can imagine. You even occasionally see the odd good idea, but at the level of shows I used to work they come rarely and in very small numbers.

These days, though, you can see me just about every month, live from the Stanley Hall in uptown Baltimore, Maryland (well, I say ‘uptown’; the only people who call it that are the ones who’ve seen downtown Baltimore, Maryland). That’s right grappling fans: Faroukh ‘Mr. F.’ Bulsara is the newest referee of Mid-Atlantic Wrestling, The House that Rip Chord Built and Sam Keith Runs, the premier wrestling promotion in the Mid Atlantic region and one of the founder members of the Confederation of the Territories, the original promotional alliance of the modern era. Plus, of course, it’s the place to go for all the most promising young stars of the future and can boast the current USPW World Tag Team Champions, one half of the SWF Tag Team Champions, and no less than eight former alumni across the national wrestling scene. Pretty good for a company that hasn’t even been in operation for ten years, huh?

Oh, and did I mention that I’m the new head booker of said company? But that’s another story…

It started at the Christmas Party, back in 2012. Back when Rip was in charge he used to rent out one of the bars in Maryland for the night, but when Sam took over he took one look at the drinks bill and promptly moved it to his poolhouse, where the drinks are considerably cheaper and there’s less chance of someone getting arrested for smashing the place up. Plus, it means he doesn’t have to drive as far to get home, maybe a mile or two instead of halfway across Baltimore (seriously, have you seen Sam’s place? The Queen of England doesn’t have an estate that big). Point is, the party’s one of the very, very few times when you’re not really expecting Sam to start talking business, so when he comes over I didn’t figure it was going to be anything other than small talk, right?

“Hey, Mr. F, not drinking tonight?”

“I’m fairly certain the Qur’An has something to say about drinking alcohol. I believe it’s exact words are ‘Don’t’.”

“Fair enough. Listen, I wanted to talk to you about next year…”

See, at this point I figured he was going to tell me he couldn’t afford to keep me on and was letting me go, so you can imagine my surprise at what came next.

“I want you to take over from Jeano on the book”

“No worries, Sam, I get it…hang on, what?”

“Booking our shows. I want you to take over from Jeano. He’s good, knows his stuff and never makes trouble, but I want him to get back into the title picture and he can’t do that if he’s booking as well.”

“That makes sense, but why me? You could probably do it yourself, you’ve done it before, and been good at it too”

“Yeah I could…if I wanted it to look like the SWF ten years ago. MAW’s not the same as what I used to book, Mr. F, nowhere near really. You, you’ve been right around the world, you’ve seen every idea that’s out there”

“All the bad ones, maybe.”

“Then you’ll know what not to do, and that’s what really matters anyway. Look, Mr. F., either you take the job or I find somebody from outside the company sight unseen, with no guarantee that they’ll be up to the job. At least the boys know you, and you know the boys. Can you imagine Miller or Jonesy lasting that long with a new guy in charge?”

That was Sam’s ace and he knew it: Miller Fforde and Cameron Jones were both of them project workers at best, and anyone coming it would take one look at them and decided they were two projects too many, thankyou very much.

“Alright, I’ll do it. But if it turns out that I suck then I just want to go on record as saying I told you so, alright?”

“Don’t worry, if you suck I’ll Proton Lock you into unconsciousness and you won’t wake up ‘til the plane lands in India”

Looking back, it would’ve been nice if I’d been able to tell whether he was joking or not.

Thanks for the nice comments guys- it's always good to know people are following what I'm doing.

Currently I'm working towards the Rip Chord Invitational- expect a roster up in the next couple of days with some predictions for the RCI. I don't know if I'll run any kind of rewards system for predictions at the moment, but I can confirm that there will be some spectacular attempts to really annoy Bret Starr coming your way (let's just say we have very different ideas as to his value).

Starting back in the office after New Year’s was the usual mix of relaxed easing into it and frantic dashing about trying to get things done, with the added problem that I was now nominally in charge of at least some of it. Fortunately enough, Sam’s one of that rare breed of promoters that actually does what they’re supposed to when they told you they would, so after a few days I’d managed to get the roster the way I wanted it.

Main Eventers

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/HollywoodBretStarr_zps4ebab8e2.jpg

Hollywood Bret Starr

Entrance Music: Hot Blooded- Foreigner

Finisher: Hollywood Hammer (Diving Axe Handle), Starr Maker (Right Jab)

Theoretically our top heel, I don’t see Bret as holding this position for long. True, he’s got bags of charisma, and some of his rough edges in the ring have been smoothed off over the last few years, but he’s far from a great worker, and we’re little top-heavy for heels anyway. Plus, he’s profoundly difficult to deal with backstage- he’s always been inclined to mouth off about the certainty of his SWF run, but since Jefferson and Huey beat him there he’s become worse than ever. Currently he’s holding the MAW American title, which he won’t keep long for the very simple fact that it’s our midcard title.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/CameronVessey_zpsb88bb710.jpg

Cameron Vessey

Entrance Music: Jumping Jack Flash- The Rolling Stones

Finisher: Vessey Driver (Pumphandle Half Nelson Driver)

Cameron’s our actual top heel, and a solid worker with it. Okay, so he’s still developing his technique, and if his flying ever improves I’ll be very surprised, but he’s a good, rugged brawler with the fundamentals to back that up. He’s also pretty solid on the mic, which should help him if we ever try to run a few more angles (though that’s not especially likely at the moment). Right now he’s our Mid-Atlantic Champion, and likely to feud with Findley O’Farraday, who he took it from.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/FindlayOFarraday_zps7d67f380.jpg

Findley O’Farraday

Entrance Music: Kashmir- Led Zeppelin

Finisher: Atomic Powerbomb (Sit-Out Powerbomb)

Findley’s our top face, and whilst he’s probably better off as a heel he makes for an effective hero against the likes of Bret Starr and Cameron Vessey. Okay, so maybe he’s not the most multi-faceted of wrestlers (he can brawl and that’s pretty much it) but he brawls well, has the fundamentals to make it work and can actually handle a much longer match than most men his size. As long he continues to work hard and try to improve his weaknesses I see no reason to take him out of the main event.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/MeanJeanCattley_zps3d3fecc4.jpg

Mean Jean Cattley

Entrance Music: Back in Black- AC/DC

Finisher: Mood Swing (Gannosuke Clutch)

MAW’s resident veteran, Jeano used to be Rip Chord’s right hand man, and whilst he’s not quite as close to Sam he’s still one of our most reliable and hard-working stars. Interestingly he’s more of a technician than the rest of our main events, which adds a different dynamic to his matches and tells a very effective story. Right now I’m still figuring out what to do with Jeano- we need a solid face for him to work with, but right now there aren’t a whole lot of candidates at the right level.

Upper Midcarders

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/AceYoungblood_zps8efe6cc7.jpg

Ace Youngblood

Entrance Music: Run to the Hills- Iron Maiden

Finisher: Flying Tomahawk Chop

Were I being ungenerous, I would say the only good thing about Ace Youngblood is his entrance music. That’s really quite unfair, however, as Ace is really a solid worker, it’s just that he doesn’t stand out. He’s okay at everything but not especially good at any one thing, and when you add in his lack of charisma and star quality you can see why he probably won’t rise any further up the card. His team with Max Mayhem has worked out well for both of them, though, so I could see him making a run at the Dynamite Express for the titles.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/CaseyValentine_zps226ec800.jpg

Casey Valentine

Entrance Music: Are You Ready to Rock- Michael Schenker Group

Finisher: Deep Impact (Tombstone Hold into a wheelbarrow lungblower)

Cameron’s partner/occasional lackey, Casey’s another talented worker who’s been plying his trade around here for a while. Like Cameron he combines brawling and technique, but unlike his partner Casey’s style is more focussed on technical wrestling than simply pounding on guys. Right now, Casey’s biggest problem is the way the roster’s laid out- he deserves a run at the top, but with so many heels hanging around up there he’s some way down the pecking order.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/CitizenX_zpsfd32fbde.jpg

Citizen X

Entrance Music: Captain Anarchy- Anti-Flag

Finisher: Flaming Anarchy (Diving Elbow Drop), X-Wave (Sliding Forearm Smash)

Formerly an anarchic heel looking to cause chaos, Citizen X has recently been reinvented as a political radical looking to cause change for the better- in other words, Sam and Jeano piggy-backed on the Occupy Together movement. It’s actually a pretty good idea, and X has done a good job of getting into the character and making it work. It helps that he’s talented, charismatic and just generally an all-round solid worker with a lot of upside. I may give him the American title so he can work with some of our younger workers, but that’s something to figure out after the invitational.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/MaxMayhem_zpsb497e5d9.jpg

Max Mayhem

Entrance Music: Tom Sawyer- Rush

Finisher: Canadian Tumbleweed (450 Splash)

Ace Youngblood’s tag team partner, Max Mayhem’s a capable high flier who could do to develop his fundamentals a bit more. He could also do with polishing his technical wrestling and brawling, but that’s more for stylistic reasons- as a flier he’s good, it’s just that he doesn’t quite fit in with the rest of the roster yet. Still, as long as he can improve in a couple of areas he’ll remain a useful wrestler for us, and at 28 he’s young enough that he can still improve. Right now I’m not sure where he fits in, tag division or singles, but I figure he’s got a couple of main event matches in him whilst I figure it out.

Midcarders

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/CameronJones_zps09cb32fa.jpg

Cameron Jones

Entrance Music: Rock Bottom- UFO

Finisher: Fisherman’s Suplex

One half of our current tag team champions, Cameron’s really piggy-backing on his more talented partner, Syd Collier. Cameron’s a moderately talented brawler with some technique, but he’s not good enough at either to really make a go of it as a singles competitor, especially when you take into account the fact that his fundamentals aren’t really that good either. Still, at 22 he’s got time to improve, and his team with Syd, the Dynamite Express, looks like it could be a promising one.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/MarvelMalloy_zps5182478e.jpg

Marvel Malloy

Entrance Music: Snakecharmer- Rage Against the Machine

Finisher: Marvel Breaker (Half Nelson Backbreaker)

Marvel’s essentially the same as Cameron- moderately talented at best but useful due to his more-talented partner. On the plus side, whilst Marvel’s mainly a competent high flier his other skills show signs of promising development, and his tag team with Storm, The American Cobras, could be a good one given time. On the other hand, his fundamentals are weak at best and he has an awful stutter that means mic work is completely out of the question. Still, as one of my new signings I’m inclined to give him time and see if he develops to match his partner.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/MillerFforde_zpsffccd1a8.jpg

Miller Fforde

Entrance Music: Break it Down Again- Tears for Fears

Finisher: Fforde Flip Face Crusher (Diamond Dust)

Before he left, Miller was in a tag team with Keith Vegas called ‘The Lost Cause’, which tells you everything you need to know about how good he is. Now, I always thought the name was a little unfair, but there’s no denying the fact that Miller’s not a great wrestler by any definition of the term. A largely decent high flier who shows signs of developing some decent technique, he’s largely undone by his inconsistency and poor psychology. Still, an intensive work programme against Jeano, Casey and the better part of our undercard should help him develop, and I don’t like giving up on Boot Camp graduates until there’s no hope of them developing.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/RobbieWright_zps64abc5fd.jpg

Robbie Wright

Entrance Music: Louie Louie- The Troggs

Finisher: Wright Move (La Magistral Cradle)

If you want him to do anything other than throw fists then Robbie Wright is going to disappoint you quite severely. If, however, you want somebody who could potentially work for the SWF in a few years time, then Robbie’s your man. Okay, so he’s the definition of one-dimensional, but he’s got good fundamentals given his inexperience and kicks @ss on the mic. He’s likely to become a solid part of the midcard title scene when I’ve figured out what to do with it.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/StormSpillane_zps1124e939.jpg

Storm Spillane

Entrance Music: Snakecharmer- Rage Against the Machine

Finisher: Kneeling Boston Crab

The other half of the American Cobras, Storm Spillane’s head and shoulders above his partner Marvel Malloy. He’s still got some developing to do, particularly in terms of his psychology and submissions, but I figure he’s already got enough of a package together to be a viable candidate for midcard success. However, given that he and Marvel are very close friends, and Marvel won’t succeed without him, I could see Storm struggling to make headway until his partner develops a bit.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/SydCollier_zpsba41c7ed.jpg

Syd Collier

Entrance Music: Rock Bottom- UFO

Finisher: Texas Cloverleaf

It tends to be the case that, in any given year, the second graduate from the Boot Camp is much stronger than the first. That’s definitely true of 2010’s year, which produced first the rather disappointing Cameron Jones before coming up trumps with Syd, possibly the best graduate since DWN. Okay, so he doesn’t have Davis’ all-round excellence, but he’s one of the best technicians we’ve got and has astounding psychology for such a rookie worker. His tag team, The Dynamite Express, is frankly more help to Jonesy than Syd, but Collier’s unlikely to be hugely held back by the team, and I could see him taking over from Jeano in a few years time.

Lower Midcarders

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/Copperhead_zps35d080ca.jpg

Copperhead

Entrance Music: La Grange- ZZ Top

Finisher: Copper Bottom (Uranage)

Continuing the tradition of the first graduate in a year being worse than the second, Copperhead’s a scrappy young brawler whose main advantage is his youth- there’s plenty of time to improve there, and in all honesty not as much to improve as some people. Sure, he’s not a particularly exciting worker to watch, and his psychology could do with a lot of improvement, but he’s got the basics down well and he bumps better than a lot of rookies do. Overall, I like Copperhead- as young talent go we could do a lot worse.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/ErnestYoungman_zps7d63f639.jpg

Ernest Youngman

Entrance Music: Les Morts Dansant- Magnum

Finisher: The Hit (DDT)

My first thought on seeing Ernest Youngman was ‘why has nobody signed him yet?’ Okay, so he’s only been on the scene for about a year, but he’s one of the best 19 year old wrestlers I’ve ever seen, and on top of that you’d be hard pressed to find a nice guy behind the scenes. I’ve got big plans for Youngman, not least because I suspect it’s only a matter of time before one of the big boys snaps him up and turns him into a national icon.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/GeorgeWolfe_zpsa0aa20b8.jpg

George Wolfe

Entrance Music: Taking Care of Business- Bachman-Turner Overdrive

Finisher: Running Powerslam

On a list of ‘MAW talent you really don’t want to mess with’ George Wolfe will always come top- I’ve seen bullet-proof glass that isn’t as tough as this kid. That really tells you everything you need to know about how he works in the ring- lots of brawling, lots of power, not as much selling. However, it’s worth pointing out that his selling isn’t actually that bad- he doesn’t go off his feet much but you can tell when he’s been rocked- and his take-no-cr@p attitude carries backstage, where you can usually rely on him to keep the more difficult (and invariably smaller) members of the roster in check. I see big things in George’s future.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/TheArchitect_zps523b9b89.jpg

The Architect

Entrance Music: Hammer to Fall- Queen

Finisher: Blueprint (STF)

The Architect was trained directly by Sam Keith, and it shows- this guy’s got amazing technique for his age, and his fundamentals aren’t bad either. He still needs some improvement, but I could really see him taking off in a big way for us. Given some seasoning, and the right opponents, The Architect could be main eventing for us in a couple of years, and I could certainly see him making a concerted challenge for the American Title in the near future.

Openers

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/BradleyBlaze_zps26d4c9c7.jpg

Bradley Blaze

Entrance Music: Theme from The Magnificent Seven- Elmer Bernstein

Finisher: Dallas Drop (Running Bulldog)

One of a number of new signings I brought in, Bradley’s a handy guy to have backstage but will probably never to amount to more than a solid midcarder in the ring. He throws fists well, and his fundamentals aren’t awful given his age, but his lack of charisma and intangibles (star quality, menace, stuff like that) will always count against him. Still, MAW can always find a use for career midcarders, and Brad’s got all the tools for success if we can find a way to polish them.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/NigelSvensson_zpsf404d5d4.jpg

Nigel Svensson

Entrance Music: Immigrant Song- Led Zeppelin

Finisher: Hyper Extension Arm Lock (high angle fujiwara armbar), Knee Drive (Running Double Knee Strike)

A European import, Nige used to work for Ring of Fire out of the UK before they closed down. It shows in his style, which is classic catch wrestling at it’s finest, and could serve to make him a big star here in MAW- certainly Sam’s a big fan of what he does. Of course he’s a complete unknown out here, and I don’t know how much his talent will be able to overcome that, but if all goes according to plan he should start to rise up the card as the year goes on.

Non-Wrestlers

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/MarvinEarnest_alt2_zpsc5870acc.jpg

Marv Earnest

Our sole regular at the commentary desk, Marv handles announcing alongside a rotating colour commentary slot. He’s excellent, if perhaps a little dear for a company our size, and as long as we continue to make money he’s got a good chance of staying around. He’s far from irreplaceable, though, and I’ve got my eye on a couple of promising candidates if it turns out his price is too high for us.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/ChloeDean_zps51a8bcce.jpg

Chloe Dean

Resident manager of the American Cobras, Chloe isn’t going to be doing much more than standing about looking pretty, but she’s a nice girl backstage and that goes a long way at the moment. She also weird taste in men- I mean, Jonesy?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/ErnestForthdyke-Hume_zps65f67967.jpg

Ernest Forthdyke-Hume

A long-time manager in MAW, Ernest Forthdyke-Hume is currently in control of the Dynamite Express. He’s a good talker, isn’t hideously overpriced and doesn’t try to kill anyone when the lights are off so I don’t see any reason to cut him just yet. There’s talk of expanding his clientele to a stable, but I’ve got other plans for that which don’t include him.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/LisaBowen_zps57b6fb5e.jpg

Lisa Bowen

Robbie Wright’s current valet, Lisa’s basically Chloe but without the helpful personality or strange taste in men. That being said, she works cheap and isn’t horrendous to deal with so she may as well stick around for now. Really, though, she doesn’t have the immediate link with Robbie that she had with Jeff and Huey when they were here, and I could see her moving on to another client.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/SamKeith_alt3_zpsad0273de.jpg

Sam Keith

When Rip Chord retired, MAW lost one of the best talkers and road agents in the business. Fortunately Sam Keith is one of the other best talkers and road agents in the business, so we haven’t really lost an awful lot in the long run. If anything, we’ve gained something- Sam’s far more in control of the locker room, and has an authority that Rip never did.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/MAW/CVFP_IndianMale_001_zpsb47d24b5.jpg

Mr. F.

Aka Faroukh Bulsara, aka me. MAW’s chief official and head booker, I pretty much do all the counting-based work in the company, in addition to my responsibilities behind the scenes. In the future I may bring in another ref and add some colour work to my schedule, but at the moment it’s cheaper for me to work every match.

Card for The Rip Chord Invitational VIII:

FOR THE MAW CHAMPIONSHIP

Findley O’Farraday vs. Cameron Vessey ©

FOR THE MAW TAG TEAM TITLES

The American Cobras (Storm Spillane & Marvel Malloy) vs. The Dynamite Express (Syd Collier & Cameron Jones) ©

TRIPLE THREAT SHOWCASES

Nigel Svensson vs. Copperhead vs. George Wolfe

Casey Valentine vs. Ace Youngblood vs. Bradley Blaze

RCI ROUND ONE:

Ernest Youngman vs. Robbie Wright

RCI ROUND ONE:

Citizen X vs. Hollywood Bret Starr

RCI ROUND ONE:

Mean Jean Cattley vs. Miller Fforde

RCI ROUND ONE:

Max Mayhem vs. The Architect

RCI ROUND TWO:

Youngman/Wright vs. Citizen/Starr

RCI ROUND TWO

Cattley/Fforde vs. Mayhem/Architect

RIP CHORD INVITIATIONAL FINAL- A FIRST-TIME WINNER WILL BE CROWNED

That's a big card you've put together. Hope you don't lose too much money; MAW died in the observer game I played, but I suppose that's partially due to their unnecessary drug testing.

FOR THE MAW CHAMPIONSHIP

The American Cobras (Storm Spillane & Marvel Malloy) vs. The Dynamite Express (Syd Collier & Cameron Jones) ©

TRIPLE THREAT SHOWCASES

RCI ROUND ONE:

RCI ROUND ONE:

RCI ROUND ONE:

RCI ROUND ONE:

RCI ROUND TWO:

Wright vs. Citizen

RCI ROUND TWO

Cattley vs. Mayhem

RIP CHORD INVITIATIONAL FINAL-

Cattley vs Citizen

I agree that that is a huge card, but RCI is a huge night!

FOR THE MAW CHAMPIONSHIP

TRIPLE THREAT SHOWCASES

RCI ROUND ONE:

RCI ROUND ONE:

RCI ROUND ONE:

RCI ROUND ONE:

RCI ROUND TWO:

RCI ROUND TWO

RIP CHORD INVITIATIONAL FINAL- A FIRST-TIME WINNER WILL BE CROWNED Youngman

Nice work on the bios, just a minor correction, though - "Louie, Louie" has been performed by numerous artists, but most notably the Kingsmen. Dunno if the Troggs had a version. The Troggs' signature hit is "Wild Thing", and that should make some nice ring music as well. :)

Overall, I love the ring music, too! Fits right into my musical tastes.

FOR THE MAW CHAMPIONSHIP

Findley O’Farraday vs. Cameron Vessey © - Too early for a title change.

The American Cobras (Storm Spillane & Marvel Malloy) vs. The Dynamite Express (Syd Collier & Cameron Jones) © - Ditto.

TRIPLE THREAT SHOWCASES

Nigel Svensson vs. Copperhead vs. George Wolfe - Perhaps a good way to get Nige's US career going.

Casey Valentine vs. Ace Youngblood vs. Bradley Blaze - Marking out for another second-generation star.

RCI ROUND ONE:

Ernest Youngman vs. Robbie Wright - Youngman could make a good upset pick, but Wright is right...at least for now.

RCI ROUND ONE:

Citizen X vs. Hollywood Bret Starr - Probably my least-favorite second generation guy to work with, but I see him going over...

RCI ROUND ONE:

Mean Jean Cattley vs. Miller Fforde - No question here.

RCI ROUND ONE:

Max Mayhem vs. The Architect - The raw Architect may have potential, but he'll be an early exit at the RCI.

RCI ROUND TWO:

Wright vs. Starr - ...and over...

RCI ROUND TWO

Cattley vs. Mayhem - Upset win to set up a face-vs-heel final.

RIP CHORD INVITIATIONAL FINAL-

Starr vs Mayhem - ...and over. Micky Starr's grandkid may be a jerk backstage, but this may help him reach alpha heel status.

Nice work on the bios, just a minor correction, though - "Louie, Louie" has been performed by numerous artists, but most notably the Kingsmen. Dunno if the Troggs had a version. The Troggs' signature hit is "Wild Thing", and that should make some nice ring music as well. :)

As it happens, the Troggs did do a version- I went for it over Wild Thing because it's a bit more rock-like and has the right energy. You can listen to it here. And I would use Wild Thing but if Animal Harker ever turns up in MAW that's his theme.

FOR THE MAW CHAMPIONSHIP

No title change this early.

Champs retain for now.

TRIPLE THREAT SHOWCASES

Wolfe's a tough SOB, Copperhead's nothing special and Nige needs to pay his dues yet.

CV's worth keeping elevated as long as his boy's the champion.

RCI ROUND ONE:

Ernie Youngman puts in a good show to start with.

RCI ROUND ONE:

Yeah, let's mess with Bret's head.

RCI ROUND ONE:

Don't piss off the old booker. It won't go well.

RCI ROUND ONE:

No surprise victory for Sam Keith's protege - Mayhem will take this one.

RCI ROUND TWO:

Youngman vs. Citizen X

Citizen X puts an end to Ernie's Cinderella story.

RCI ROUND TWO

Cattley vs. Mayhem

MJ shows his cred.

Citizen X

And why not? He's good enough to take it, and it elevates a Face to a top level to challenge your champion.

Card for The Rip Chord Invitational VIII:

FOR THE MAW CHAMPIONSHIP

The American Cobras (Storm Spillane & Marvel Malloy) vs. The Dynamite Express (Syd Collier & Cameron Jones) © - If in doubt, champs retain.

TRIPLE THREAT SHOWCASES

Nigel Svensson vs. Copperhead vs. George Wolfe - Copperhead is pretty hopeless, Nigel is new, Wolfe wins by default.

Casey Valentine vs. Ace Youngblood vs. Bradley Blaze - On a different level from the other two, for the moment at least.

RCI ROUND ONE:

Ernest Youngman vs. Robbie Wright - Huge potential, even if Youngman's probably better in the ring.

RCI ROUND ONE:

Citizen X vs. Hollywood Bret Starr - I'm high on X, partly thanks to infinity's awesome diary, so will give him the win here.

RCI ROUND ONE:

Mean Jean Cattley vs. Miller Fforde - Easy.

RCI ROUND ONE:

Max Mayhem vs The Architect - Easy

RCI ROUND TWO:

Wright vs Citizen

RCI ROUND TWO

Cattley vs Mayhem

Citizen vs Cattley - Cattley's been a mainstay for too long not to get a Rip Chord win.

FOR THE MAW CHAMPIONSHIP

TRIPLE THREAT SHOWCASES

RCI ROUND ONE:

RCI ROUND ONE:

RCI ROUND ONE:

RCI ROUND ONE:

RCI ROUND TWO:

RCI ROUND TWO

FINALE:

Citizen Vs. Architect

I ran my first MAW show with 12 workers on the card and lost $9,000 even without drug testing. I'm scared for your bank balance with 20 workers :p.

FOR THE MAW CHAMPIONSHIP

TRIPLE THREAT SHOWCASES

RCI ROUND ONE:

RCI ROUND ONE:

I HATE BRET STARR.

RCI ROUND ONE:

RCI ROUND ONE:

RCI ROUND TWO:

I REALLY HATE BRET STARR

RCI ROUND TWO

I HATE BRET STARR SO MUCH. But I have a feeling you're going to push him. Enjoy the locker room incidents!

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:36px;">The Rip Chord Invitational VIII</span></span></strong></p><p><strong><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';">

</span></strong><strong><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:24px;">Live to DVD from the Stanley Hall</span></span></strong></p><p><strong><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:24px;">

Friday, Week 4, January 2013</span></span></strong></p><p><strong><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:24px;">

Audience: 300 (SOLD OUT!)</span></span></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><span style="font-size:18px;">The Show</span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Ernest Youngman vs. Robbie Wright</strong></p><p>

This was a good match for us, getting the crowd nicely warmed up for the evening ahead. Which was really what I’d expected: Robbie’s not the best wrestler I’ve ever seen but with his charisma it’s hard not to get a least a little into his matches, and Ernest has all the gifts to succeed at this level. Okay, so it wasn’t a perfect match- neither man has yet mastered drawing the crowd into their match completely- but overall it was a good opener that did the job I wanted it to do, and as a plus the fans got behind Ernest’s Bad Ass persona very quickly. Youngman got the win here, nailing Robbie with The Hit after rolling through an attempt at the Wright Move. It’s also worth pointing out that Findley, who was on colour for this match, made a point of putting Ernest over as a potentially huge part of MAW’s future.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Ernest Youngman <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Mean Jean Cattley vs. Miller Fforde</strong></p><p>

If there’s one man in this company you can always rely on to deliver, it’s Jean Cattley. Even against Miller Fforde, a guy who’ll never go down as one of the best we’ve ever produced, Jeano stepped up and got things going with a match that kicked @ss for our level. It helped that Miller’s thing is aerial action, which gave the match a speed vs. technique story that added an extra level of interest to proceedings. Miller also did alright; he was tiring pretty obviously by the end, but given that he’d spent quite a substantial part of the match getting his teeth kicked in it wasn’t hard to explain that away on commentary, which saw Marv being joined by Bret. That’s always a risk- Bret has a tendency to put himself over way more than the guys in the ring- but you mess with Jeano at your peril, and Bret was smart enough to focus on the action and only sneak in the occasional ode to his own greatness. Three guesses who got the win here, and if you don’t guess Jean you’re an idiot.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Mean Jean Cattley <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D+</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Citizen X vs. Hollywood Bret Starr</strong></p><p>

As if to confirm how valuable Jeano is, this match between two main eventers didn’t reach the standards of the last match. It wasn’t bad, mind you, but given that Bret and X are two of our top workers it should have been a lot better than it was. To be fair, there were two or three issues with this, not least of which was chemistry- Bret and X have never been particularly good together, but it’s clear now that the chemistry between them just isn’t good. Plus, stamina was a pretty major issue as well- X in particular was really slowing down by the end, and whilst Bret made it to the final bell with no ill effects he was panting something fierce afterwards. Plus, y’know, he kinda sucks in the ring, which didn’t help. He still got the win here, though, pulling the old powder-in-the-face trick whilst my back was turned before going up for the Hollywood Hammer to secure the pinfall.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Hollywood Bret Starr <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Max Mayhem vs. The Architect</strong></p><p>

This was back to the standard of the opener, but given the guys here that wasn’t a huge surprise. The Architect is good but just starting out, and Max has the name value but outside of the flying isn’t one of our best workers. Mind you, he did the job here, zipping about with his usual élan, if not all that much by way of finesse, and even took the time along the way to work on some of his technique. As for The Architect, he showed a lot of promise given that this is still his rookie year wrestling, and whilst I wouldn’t call his performance ground-breaking he held up his end well and didn’t disappoint. Still, he never really stood a serious chance of winning, and Max Mayhem was able to take home the victory in fairly short order, securing a rope break to escape the Blueprint before setting up and nailing the Canadian Tumbleweed for the win.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Max Mayhem <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Nigel Svensson vs. Copperhead vs. George Wolfe</strong></p><p>

Given the name value of all three guys in this match this was a good bout- nothing really spectacular overall, but very good for three lower-card guys with virtually no momentum to speak of. Leaving aside talent, which is an obvious factor, I think the other main reason for this one being so successful was the fact that all three of these guys have a different style and approach in the ring. Nigel is all about holds and pure wrestling, Copperhead throws punches, and George mainly throws other wrestlers. That made for a good contrast between the three and allowed for some pretty cool spots, including one where Nige had Copperhead locked up in a half nelson/hammerlock combo, only for George to get behind them and suplex the both of them. That set him up for the finish, which saw him toss Nigel over the top rope before grabbing Copperhead and nailing the Front Powerslam for the win.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> George Wolfe <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Ernest Youngman vs. Hollywood Bret Starr</strong></p><p>

Okay, maybe I’m a little harsh on Bret Starr. It’s true, he’s an objectionable human being, but his charisma and solid basics mean he rarely lets the side down in the ring, especially when he’s up against a good talent in the ring. Ernest, of course, is most definitely that, so this one was firing on all cylinders. Story-wise we built it on Bret basically pounding Ernest into the mat, only for the younger man to persistently kick out of pins and break holds. That frustrated the American champion, and Bret’s work got increasingly sloppy and unfocussed as he lost sight of the victory and started trying to just destroy Youngman. That almost worked, but as he went up for the Hollywood Hammer Ernest followed him up and nailed a flying crucifix pin to secure a shock pinfall. As Bret lost his rag at ringside Sam took a certain glee in pointing out that this was his third semi-final loss in three Invitationals, whilst Ernest celebrated his victory.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Ernest Youngman <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D+</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Mean Jean Cattley vs. Max Mayhem</strong></p><p>

I always expect Jean to deliver, but this was amazing. Okay, so Jeano managed to get a good match out of Miller, but that was more Jean than Fforde, and whilst Max is better he’s still not an outstanding worker. With the aid of some fortuitously good chemistry, however, this was lifted into the realms of truly extraordinary, with both guys really showing what they could do at their best. It wasn’t perfect, admittedly- Max was visibly fighting for breath by the end- but those were largely minor concerns, and I’m really going to have to think about how to use Max now; anyone who can deliver to this level deserves a chance at something major, and depending on how Ace delivers later on a run at the Tag titles is not out of the question. Tonight, however, was not Max’s night, as Jeano caught him with the Mood Swing to secure the victory.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Mean Jean Cattley <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">C-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

After the match is over Jeano grabs a mic and addresses Ernest Youngman, who’s been on commentary for his match.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#000080;">“So, Ernest Youngman, it’s down to you and it’s down to me. Now, you made your way past two of the best round these parts so clearly you’re no walkover, but do you know what you’re dealing with now? I’m not just anybody; I’ve been here since day one of MAW, I’ve been to that final three times before, and I’ve wrestled more stars than you’ve had birthdays. You want to win the Rip Chord Invitational you’ve got to go through me, and there is no way on this earth that some upstart puppy like you will be doing that”</span></p><p> </p><p>

Jean’s not one of our absolute best talkers but he can handle himself on the mic, and his arrogant-yet-bad ass persona always gets a good reaction</p><p>

<strong>Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

From there we head backstage to hear from Ernest Forthdyke-Hume ahead of the tag match</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">“There are few things in life more feared than the sting of the Cobra’s Venom, but as with all things in life this fear can be overcome by an extraordinary act of willpower. The two men you see before you, Syd Collier and Cameron Jones, are master of the will, strong men of iron who will not be undone by the Cobra’s Venom or the fiery hope of two young princelings. They are elite, superior in every conceivable way to all competition, and tonight, American Cobras, they will annihilate you and your championship contention”</span></p><p> </p><p>

I’m reliably told by George Wolfe that Ernest swallowed a dictionary, hence his unique promo style. For the most part, though, it works.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>American Cobras vs. The Dynamite Express</strong></p><p>

This was the first chance I had to really take a look at the tag division, and from the looks of this match it’s in rude health. Granted, there are problems- we lack jobber teams, and key tag teams are hampered by strong singles runs- but these two are development teams with a lot of room for improvement, so the fact that this was one of our strongest non-tournament matches of the night was a big plus. Of course, it’s worth pointing out that Storm Spillane and Syd Collier are two of our hottest prospects, and whilst Malloy and Jonesy really aren’t they still have enough talent to contribute in this kind of environment. We also saw some good work from the managers at ringside- Ernest in particular was good, whilst Chloe and Marvel have a very natural interplay as manager and client that added an extra dimension to the match. In the end this one went to the champs, who put Marvel Malloy down with the Chop and Change (Mongolian Chop/Wheelbarrow Facebuster combination)</p><p>

<strong>Winners:</strong> The Dynamite Express <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Casey Valentine vs. Bradley Blaze vs. Ace Youngblood</strong></p><p>

This was back down to our average standard, but I’m going to put that down to Bradley’s lack of pop and move on- it wasn’t a horrendous match, and this won’t hurt anybody’s pop so who cares? It’s also worth pointing out that this one features a rookie, a journeyman, and only one real star, so perhaps it’s to be expected that it wouldn’t match the tag title bout or Jeano’s work. Casey was the real star of this bout- he’s a good worker with very few significant weaknesses, and when we finally demote Bret down the card some Casey’s getting a run at the top of the card. As for the others, Ace could do with extra lessons in how to sell but he’s actually not as bad as he first looks, and can put together a pretty reasonable bout; Bradley, meanwhile, shows promise as a brawler but is still learning his way and probably isn’t going to show his best as a worker ‘til people start to get more familiar with his style. In the meantime he’ll be taking losses, as he did here when Casey dropped him with a Deep Impact.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Casey Valentine <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

It’s time to hear from Cameron Vessey, ahead of tonight’s Mid Atlantic Championship Match</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#808000;">“You and me, Findlay, we don’t like each other. In fact, I’d say we hate each other. Hell, I know I hate your stinking guts, so tonight? Tonight’s going to be so much fun for me. Once I’m done with you, Farraday, you ain’t walking away. You ain’t walking anyplace! I’m gonna break you in half you snot-nosed Marietta Punk! YOU GOT THAT FARRADAY?! I’M GONNA KILL YOU!”</span></p><p> </p><p>

Cameron’s like Jeano- not one of our top talkers, but very capable on the mic and with enough name value to get a good reaction.</p><p>

<strong>Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Cameron Vessey vs. Findley O’Farraday</strong></p><p>

These two pretty much constitute our marquee names, so I was hoping for something big from this. Fortunately, they delivered on all counts, delivering the match of the night so far. That’s to be expected, though- both of these guys have bags of talent in the ring, and the psychology to make it work at this level. Cameron in particular has a lot of upside; not only is he a capable brawler, he’s got a good technical base to work from and the fundamentals to back it all up. Of course, Findlay’s not a bad worker either, but he doesn’t have Cam’s technique or great fundamentals; instead, he tends to rely on power and a certain kind of rugged directness in his approach, which contrasts nicely with Cameron’s more precise striking and puro game. In the end, this one went to the champ; Cam took Findley down with a chop block just as he was about to set up for the Atomic Powerbomb before scoring an Oklahoma roll and a handful of tights to secure the win.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Cameron Vessey <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">C-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong> Mean Jean Cattley vs. Ernest Youngman</strong> </p><p>

This capped off a long (long, <em>long</em>) evening with a great match that delivered on a lot of the tournament’s promise. Okay, so it wasn’t up to the standard of Cam and Findley, but considering that before tonight nobody had heard of Ernie Youngman it showed what we can expect from him in a big-match environment, and it wasn’t all that far behind the title match anyway. Still, I’ve been saying for years that Jeano’s one of the best we’ve got, and against a solid young competitor like Ernest that always guaranteed a certain level of quality. Story-wise, we went with a contrast to the last match and emphasised the mat wrestling and submissions of both guys as they traded holds and kept to the mat on the way to victory. Surprisingly, that favoured Ernest more than Jeano- The Hit’s hard to set up from the mat but Youngman’s array of holds more than made up for it, whilst Sam and Marv speculated as to whether Ernest’s unknown status had interfered with Jeano’s preparation. In the end, though, it didn’t hurt that much, as Jeano was able to take the match to a vertical base before catching Ernest in a surprise Mood Swing to secure the victory and his first RCI win in four attempts.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Mean Jean Cattley <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">C-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Overall Rating:</span></strong> <span style="font-size:24px;"><em><span style="font-family:Verdana;">C-</span></em></span>, which is pretty excellent given our size. Singled out for particular praise are Cameron and Ernest, whilst I make sure to tell Jeano how awesome he is.</p>

So, let's take a look at the predictions and see how they went, eh?

Tiberous4: 7/11

MaxxHexx: 8/11

3rdStringPG: 6/11

Regis: 8/11

Jaded: 7/11

Midnightnick: 6/11

Chriks2K: 7/11

So, Regis and MaxxHexx win this time out (and I am never putting on an eleven match card again...at least, not 'til the Sam Keith Classic), and they get the right to ask a question of any MAW star they want, including backstage personalities like Mr. F., Marv Earnest and Sam Keith.

News from the Boot Camp

“Hello Wrestling fans! You’re tuned to News from the Boot Camp, your weekly instalment of the Mid Atlantic Brand of Pro Wrestling. Joining me tonight is my co-host, Sam ‘The Boss’ Keith…”

“Hey Grappling fans”

“…and tonight, we’ve got a great show for you. We’ll be continuing coverage of The Rip Chord Invitational Challenge with highlights of the semi-final and tag title bouts, plus we’ll be looking ahead to Wrestling Classic, coming to you at the end of February and featuring all of your favourite MAW stars, along with some of the finest young wrestlers in America.”

“That’s right Marv- ever since day one MAW’s been about showcasing young talent at their very finest, and the Wrestling Classic is no exception. If you come to that show, or buy it on DVD, download or video stream from the fine folks over at Wrestle Factory Videos, I can guarantee you some of the best action you’ll see anywhere in independent wrestling.”

“In the first of our feature bouts for the Wrestling Classic, you’ll see Hollywood Bret Starr take on Miller Fforde, the man who he defeated last December to retain the American Title.”

“Now, as some of our fans may know, at The Night of The Champions Bret Starr used a loaded glove to secure his American Title in that match, although we didn’t find that out until after the bell had rung. Now, once that bell rings the referee’s decision cannot be overturned- don’t blame me, blame Rip Chord- but now the Invitational’s over and Miller’s dance card is empty I figure it’s time to hold that rematch. And Bret? You bring that glove out, I’m tossing you out of this promotion, you got it? Don’t ever mess with The Boss”

“That’s not all, folks- not only will Bret be fighting for his title, but it’s a bumper night for the tag division as we’ll be featuring not one but two marquee bouts in the division. First up is a title bout pitting The Dynamite Express against former three-time champions the Aces of Mayhem.”

“When I think of tag team wrestling, I think of these two teams. Both the Dynamite Express and the Aces exemplify the reasons that tag team wrestling has a future in this business, and why I started the Sam Keith Classic. And whilst we’re on that subject, let’s not forget that the Aces of Mayhem made the first ever SKC final, whilst the Dynamite Express have never failed to qualify out of the opening round of the competition. With the Classic coming up I’m betting everyone here will be wanting to stake their claim to featuring in the 2012 tournament.”

“Not only that fans, but in our main event Findley O’Farraday will be teaming up with Citizen X to challenge C-V-2, Cameron Vessey and Casey Valentine.”

“I’m telling you Marv, this is going to be a war. Findley and Cameron hate each other, that’s no secret, but when you factor in Casey and Citizen X, well…I genuinely have no idea how Mr. F is going to keep order in this one.”

“It’s also worth pointing out that this is a real Clash of the Champions- every wrestler in this match has held multiple titles in this company.”

“Is that really a surprise, Marv? Look at all of these men. Findley O’Farraday has shown no fear ever since he arrived in MAW- more than half of his matches have seen him issuing the challenge, whilst his two year run with the Mid Atlantic Championship saw him fight a record number of title defences. Citizen X is just about as fearless too, and as for C-V-2…it’s easy to see Casey as just the arrogant clown he appears to be, but he won the Rip Chord Invitational in 2010 and you don’t do that without being able to do the business between the ropes. Cameron, meanwhile…I’ll say three words to you, Marv, and that’s all I need to say. Grand Slam Champion.”

“That’s right Sam. Cameron Vessey is the first man in MAW history to win every title the company has on offer, and with two run apiece at the Invitational and Tag Team Titles it’s not out of the question for him to become a double grand-slam champion. Is that possible? I don’t know, but if you wanna find out you need to see The Wrestling Classic”

“Not only that, but we’re gonna have George Wolfe, Mean Jean Cattley, The American Cobras and Ernest Youngman all in action that night. If you call yourself a wrestling fan, you owe it to yourself to make that show”

“I’m Marv Earnest, and that was The News from the Boot Camp!”

Card for MAW Wrestling Classic:

Findley O’Farraday & Citizen X vs. C-V-2

FOR THE TAG TEAM TITLES

The Aces of Mayhem vs. The Dynamite Express ©

FOR THE AMERICAN TITLE

Miller Fforde vs. Hollywood Bret Starr ©

Ernest Youngman vs. George Wolfe

Nigel Svensson vs. Mean Jean Cattley

American Cobras vs. Robbie Wright & The Architect

Fan questions will be going up with the 24-hour bump- expect the show sometime early in the new year.

FOR THE TAG TEAM TITLES

The Aces of Mayhem vs. The Dynamite Express ©

FOR THE AMERICAN TITLE

Miller Fforde vs. Hollywood Bret Starr ©

Ernest Youngman vs. George Wolfe

Nigel Svensson vs. Mean Jean Cattley

American Cobras vs. Robbie Wright & The Architect

FOR THE TAG TEAM TITLES