Photo sharing websites

James Casey

As someone who uses a lot of photos in my diary, it's vital that I have a user-friendly website to store those photos on. Until now, I've been using Photobucket but recently they've been 'upgrading' their site and a host of features I've taken for granted have been disabled/lost with no timetable for their return.

I'm looking for recommendations on sites to use, just in case Photobucket turns out to me more trouble than it's worth to keep using.

Features I would need are:

* Filename retention - any site that automatically renames files is out, so Flickr's off the list. I want Jay Chord's picture to be Jay.jpg, not 8880886.jpg, because I have to write it out every time I post his picture.

* Album sorting - I need to be able to flick between sorting photos alphabetically (by filename, not by some additional tag) and by upload date, not either/or or some bass-ackwards configuration that only makes sense to a programmer who doesn't like other people doing what they want, how they want it.

Features I would like are:

* Easy link generation - Preferably having the link to the photo displayed with it.

* View all - The album for my diary has around 250 photos in it. I don't need them all, but probably around a third of those are in regular use. This isn't vital, but I'd like the option to view all of my photos on one page for easy navigation.

So, if anyone can think of a photo site that can meet my expectations, please let me know, and I'll set about uploading the photos to it, just in case Photobucket collapses under the weight of its own 'innovation'.

Yes, I should have said that I'd fixed the scramble feature in PB, and thankfully it hasn't scrambled my existing photos.

The annoying thing is that the list of outstanding features on PB is pretty much the list of issues I've had since they upgraded.

Going back to the old style will help, but in four weeks or so that's no longer an option, if I'm reading things correctly.

Thanks for all the help so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived