Effverse: Not Ready for Prime Time

This is a new mod similar to my Organic Effverse. For those who don't keep up with the other thread I'll explain exactly why this mod is different and the same.

It is still an organic mod, starting with one promotion and some wrestlers. More promotions will debut and the game will generate the workers.

Where this is different is that its starting date is 1980, where television is already booming and the cable age is on the horizon. Promotions will come about much quicker than the previous mod and have more will have higher pop.

This mod isn't simply the old mod with a new date as it will actually use the original mod as part of the backstory. This backstory can be read right here in this very post and will get updated ever so often as the mod progresses. This will explain why wrestling is essentially "dead" in 1980.

There is no timetable as to the release of the mod, as it is being built from scratch.

The Rise and Fall of Professional Wrestling (1920-1932)

The forming of the first true pro wrestling promotion, Southern Pro Wrestling, catapulted what had been a Carnival side show into a popular and legitimate sport. Fans quickly took the the idea, pushing for more promotions to open up in the United States and across the world. Men like Joe Boone, Daniel Loiselle, and Levi Andrews would translate their success and popularity in the United States to open up promotions of their own, continuing the traditions all had formed in SPW. It didn't take long for pro wrestling to become a global sport as successful promotions could be found in America, Canada, Mexico, Germany, Japan, England and Australia. The quick rise of the sport and selection of Los Angeles as an Olympic host made for a perfect marriage; professional wrestling as an Olympic competition. This decision would ultimately lead to wrestling's catastrophic ending.

Much like any other Olympic competition, trials and matches were scheduled in each competing country, putting together the official teams. It was no surprise that some of the SPW originals were captains for their country's teams. As the competitions went on, it was no surprise that these originals were the stars and ultimately being ones who claimed medals. In a bit of a surprise, major underdog Levi Andrews upset, six time wrestler of the year, Danielle Loiselle to claim the gold medal. This was a major shock and a lot of money was lost in gambling. When the dust settled on the Olympics there were still some left with sour tastes in their mouths, specifically the International Olympic Committee and certain organized crime members. Pro Wrestling, for the first time, was really being looked at under a microscope.

The hammer dropped. The digging into pro wrestling revealed an ugly secret that all in the business had known and kept hidden; wrestling was fixed. Evidence found that dating back until at least the birth of SPW, pro wrestlers were predetermining the outcome of matches in order to get the most from the fans. This even included the Olympics. The founding members of Southern Pro had concocted a plan that would put most of them over as well as ensure a major payday for all those involved. The world was outraged. The entire competition was stricken from the books, pro wrestling permanently removed from the Olympics, and each country left to handle the disciplines on their own. With many of the wrestlers terrified of potential mafia blowback, they worked closely and willingly with the government bodies to reach a deal. America was the first to outright ban the "sport", with many countries following suit after. Professional wrestling was dead.

DOWNLOAD PUBLIC BETA!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I had a random idea tonight. I'm not 100% sure just yet that I will do it, but it is definitely something that is a possibility.

The Effverse: Modcast

I'm thinking of streaming me working on the mod on twitch, but with a catch. View interaction. Anyone watching the stream would be invited to contribute if they would like. Have a worker idea that can be used in the starting promotion or as a free agent? We'll discuss it live. Have a promotion idea? You got it, we'll discuss it live.

Think of it as working on the mod as a team, where I implement ideas and suggestions during a live stream.

Thoughts? Interest?

So I had a random idea tonight. I'm not 100% sure just yet that I will do it, but it is definitely something that is a possibility.

The Effverse: Modcast

I'm thinking of streaming me working on the mod on twitch, but with a catch. View interaction. Anyone watching the stream would be invited to contribute if they would like. Have a worker idea that can be used in the starting promotion or as a free agent? We'll discuss it live. Have a promotion idea? You got it, we'll discuss it live.

Think of it as working on the mod as a team, where I implement ideas and suggestions during a live stream.

Thoughts? Interest?

Fantastic idea! This is something that would help get people into this I think. Keep us posted.

I'd love to participate in it.

Cool idea.

I agree with them.

Quick recap of the first show (go and check out the video if you want to keep up).

We created our marquee guy, the "Hulk Hogan" of the universe if you will. Definitely think he came out great.

Also got a nice jobber done and some preliminary ideas for a few other guys.

All in all, a success!

I'm going to give everyone a reason to watch the most recent stream.

Reformed gay Canadian preacher teaming with a guy who has the last name Synn.

And on the previous stream, we made a drinking religious Native American named Running Boot....... By the way, I'm Dbone...just forgot to name my account the same as basically every other account I use....

I got myself as a character in this mod! How cool is that! ;)

Really like your background story too, which makes me even more happy that I could contribute in some form. Just too bad that your modcasts air in the middle of the night in my timezone. I'm really looking forward to this mod though and will check out the progress regularly. :)

So I'm playing the original Effganic mod been at it with SPW and loving it but here's some one who needs to be added. In 1920 a middle weight regular wrestler got randomly generated a good technical wrestler and decent brawler especially for some one so young his name is Julian O'Shaughnessy he's Black for Ireland. As soon as he was available in the US I picked him up I just had too, how could you not.

Archived