1991: Rising Storms

Pacific Northwest were only members for a couple of months more into 1991, were they not?

Maybe the best solution is simply to have the belt as an un-owned retired belt the user can purchase and use ingame? It seems that no matter who you choose to carry the belt, it would be weird and out of place. It's really, really a shame that alliances cannot own belts...

PNW lasts until 1992.

But yes, the lack of belt ownership for the alliances is a HUGE shame and a big miss really for TEW this year. Also not allowing a promotion to be assigned to start as a part of an alliance.

I'm toying around with something in sim tests right now. I've gone back and forth on power structure for WCW.

Usually Ted Turner is the owner in mods, and he likely will be in this one, but I'm debating something different. I'm debating setting Jim Herd as the owner with the promotion the property of Turner Broadcasting Systems and Dusty as the head booker. Dusty became head booker really quick in 1991, but Herd was still the boss. Feels weird to make Herd the head booker.

So, votes anyone?

Scenario 1) Ted Turner owner, Jim Herd head booker, not property of TBS

Scenario 2) Jim Herd owned, Dusty Rhodes head booker, property of TBS

I'm trying to figure out how best to coordinate Jim Herd's issues into the mod for WCW.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PNW lasts until 1992.

That may be, but were they a part of the NWA untill that point?

But yes, the lack of belt ownership for the alliances is a HUGE shame and a big miss really for TEW this year. Also not allowing a promotion to be assigned to start as a part of an alliance.

Amen to that. It makes my most wanted and anticipated feature seem rather meaningless, without those two sub-features. :(

Scenario 1) Ted Turner owner, Jim Herd head booker, not property of TBS

Scenario 2) Jim Herd owned, Dusty Rhodes head booker, property of TBS

#1, definately. As we both know, making them owned by TBS will handicap them too badly in regards to being aired in foreign regions... and Turner is so essential to WCW that he needs to be represented.

That may be, but were they a part of the NWA untill that point?

Amen to that. It makes my most wanted and anticipated feature seem rather meaningless, without those two sub-features. :(

#1, definately. As we both know, making them owned by TBS will handicap them too badly in regards to being aired in foreign regions... and Turner is so essential to WCW that he needs to be represented.

The solution to the foreign regions area is using "Turner Syndication" as a network in other regions. That is how they got their rights to other networks anyway, selling the rights.

The solution to the foreign regions area is using "Turner Syndication" as a network in other regions. That is how they got their rights to other networks anyway, selling the rights.

It may be a workaround, though I'd argue not a pretty one. :p

But I can definately understand if you'd want to use the media group feature.

About Pacific Northwest, it does indeed seem like they were part of NWA untill they closed (or, rather, re-opened with a new owner and name). My bad. :o

NWA members as of 7/91 according to the 9/23/91 issue of the Wrestling Observer:

Jim Herd, President (WCW, so WCW was actually still part of the NWA)

Jim Crockett Jr. (wasn't actually promoting)

Gary Juster (no specific group)

Larry O'Dea (Australia)

Steve Rickard Sr. (New Zealand)

Steve Rickard Jr. (New Zealand)

Carl Murnick

Elliot Murnick (Raleigh

Since New Japan recognized the Flair-Fujinami switch, I'd include them as the default as well.

I would NOT include SMW since they only ran two shows in 1991 and I don't believe they were ever officially in the NWA even though Candido held the belt whie with SMW in 94

Honestly, the belt belongs in WCW. They didn't leave the NWA until September 1, 1993. I get that you want to make the move sooner than it happened, but that's the reason you can''t find a place to put the title: WCW is the only company where it makes sense.

Upon further studies Id say the belt should still be in WCW as Flair would keep the belt until January 11 were he lost the belt to Fujinami in japan in a dusty finish but won the belt back at Superbrawl so id say keep it in WCW as it was their world title until Flair absconded with the belt in July leading to the creation of the WCW World title.

WCW actually recognized their own champion beginning in January of 91, with Flair becoming the first world champion of WCW. While Tatsumi Fujinami won the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, he never won the WCW Championship.

When Flair left for the WWF, WCW discontinued recognizing the NWA championship as a title until 1993 when Windham would win it. The belt was vacant from Sep 1991 to August 1992.

So, if I put it with WCW it will be a floating title, with Flair as both WCW and NWA World Heavyweight Champion. I worry that if you don't play as WCW this won't work well as the NWA title will throw things off.

Update:

Put the NWA title back with WCW. Not sure how I missed this, but Sting still held the belt at this point. If you play as WCW you get to decide what to do with the NWA belt. The WCW title is deleted in the game now so you'd have to create it, much like WCW did at the end of January. If you play as someone other than WCW, the AI will keep WCW in the NWA which is good since they have control of the belt!

SMW: SMW didn't open until late 91 in real life, but if I set it as yet to open then Jim Cornette will get signed somewhere else and won't start the company. My thoughts is to hasten the timeline a little and set it to open with Cornette in charge at the beginning of 91 with some of their original roster in tact. (Currently setup that way)

USWA: Really REALLY struggling to find good information on their roster in 91 beyond their champions.

Update:

Put the NWA title back with WCW. Not sure how I missed this, but Sting still held the belt at this point. If you play as WCW you get to decide what to do with the NWA belt. The WCW title is deleted in the game now so you'd have to create it, much like WCW did at the end of January. If you play as someone other than WCW, the AI will keep WCW in the NWA which is good since they have control of the belt!

SMW: SMW didn't open until late 91 in real life, but if I set it as yet to open then Jim Cornette will get signed somewhere else and won't start the company. My thoughts is to hasten the timeline a little and set it to open with Cornette in charge at the beginning of 91 with some of their original roster in tact. (Currently setup that way)

USWA: Really REALLY struggling to find good information on their roster in 91 beyond their champions.

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=8&nr=63&page=8&s=300

this sight has results for USWA. One of the January events has a title tournament. Hope this helps.

Good call, and a very good catch too. Will it be the same with the other three titles as well? Sure the World belt is really the only really important one, but all of their titles were technically done the same with; the "WCW title lineage" for all belts only dates back to the first person who won them in January 1991. That would simply require someone to make a new title and assign it.

It does bring up another question though, is there a way to keep WCW as part of the NWA, but set them to leave on their own if someone isn't playing as them?

It does bring up another question though, is there a way to keep WCW as part of the NWA, but set them to leave on their own if someone isn't playing as them?

I dont know if it would work but having an owner who won't let you forge alliances (or working agreements) might be best for this. Maybe he would choose to leave the alliance though I have never tested this, it might be worth a look.

Good call, and a very good catch too. Will it be the same with the other three titles as well? Sure the World belt is really the only really important one, but all of their titles were technically done the same with; the "WCW title lineage" for all belts only dates back to the first person who won them in January 1991. That would simply require someone to make a new title and assign it.

On this one, no. WCW began promoting those titles as the WCW titles and not NWA titles which caused a problem. For purposes of the mod I don't want Roddy Piper's history showing him as a WCW US Champion when he never worked in WCW. So for this I believe my setup will work with the NWA recognized histories.

Update:

Some delays because I need to do the update to all the gimmick performance ratings.

Also, does anyone know the name of the networks that USWA Championship Wrestling and USWA Dallas aired on?

USWA Dallas aired on KDFI channel 27 here in DFW at 7 PM ever Saturday night(I'm guessing that would constitute as either late evening or prime time). Link provided below about channel 27 just in case you need it. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDFI

EDIT: May have goofed. Was Championship Wrestling the Memphis show for USWA? If so, that one I'm not sure of, lol.

<p>Update:</p><p> </p><p>

Very happy with sim results on my latest build. </p><p> </p><p>

I've run 5 1 year sims today to get results.</p><p> </p><p>

Wrestle of the year:</p><p>

1. Randy Savage</p><p>

2. Randy Savage</p><p>

3. Hulk Hogan</p><p>

4. Stan Hansen</p><p>

5. Ric Flair</p><p> </p><p>

In 2 sims, Sgt. Slaughter beat Warrior for the WWF title. Earthquake won it once and the other two times it was Million Dollar Man.</p><p> </p><p>

The NWA title has ended up on Flair in every single sim. He lost the NWA title to Barry Windham in 2 of the sims and Stan Hansen in one sim. The other two he was still holding it at the end of the year.</p><p> </p><p>

Some quirks: Hulk Hogan has ended up signing with AJPW in every single sim test. Andre the Giant is producing too much. I've lowered his skills to almost nothing, but he is getting good match grades in AJPW still. He's won a title in every sim, either a tag title or the Triple Crown! I considered putting him at semi-active, but he really worked a full schedule on tour and I don't want to end his career by making him sem. (Other semi active guys haven't worked a single match.)</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="justtxyank" data-cite="justtxyank" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35547" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Andre the Giant is producing too much. I've lowered his skills to almost nothing, but he is getting good match grades in AJPW still.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Why not give him a massive physical penalty and reduce his stamina? Together they should be enough to reduce his match ratings quite significantly (and might see him retire relatively quickly).</p><p> </p><p> As for Hogan, if you don't want him to sign for AJPW is there not some sort of hiring rule you can give them that he'd always break? Don't hire Entertainers or something similar?</p>

Archived