WCW 2001 -- A New Day Is Dawning

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/attachment.php?attachmentid=192511&d=1355249488
A NEW DAY IS DAWNING
CHAPTER ONE: IT'S ALWAYS DARKEST BEFORE THE DAWN
MAY 2001 - ERIC BISCHOFF PREPARES FOR RELAUNCH
WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING
FUSIENT MEDIA VENTURES
TEL: 1-300-555-3226
E-MAIL: ERIC.BISCHOFF@WCWWRESTLING.COM

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING RETURNS!
WCW presents Slamboree -- The Big Bang Announced For 2nd Week May 2001
World Championship Wrestling and business partners Fusient Media Ventures are pleased to announce that their upcoming event, WCW presents Slamboree -- The Big Bang, will be broadcast on pay-per-view throughout the United States via Bright House Communications PPV service. Additionally, fans may order the show online at http://www.wcwwrestling.com via streaming PPV services for the first time in company history! WCW and Fusient are proud to lead professional wrestling into the new media age by embracing the online community and marketing to that community in new and exciting ways, such as streaming PPV services and interactive programming features planned for future events.

Main eventing Slamboree -- The Big Bang will be a three-way dance for the WCW World Heavyweight title as champion Booker T steps into the ring to defend against two of the biggest stars in professional wrestling today! Former champion "Big Poppa Pump" Scott Steiner will be looking to regain to his title, but he won't just need to avenge his loss to Booker T from the company's last edition of Monday Nitro on TNT as the one and only "Diamond" Dallas Page returns looking for gold.

Also to be featured is an eight-man tournament to crown a new WCW United States Champion. In his last act of power before new management officially took office, former CEO of World Championship Wrestling "Nature Boy" Ric Flair released a statement declaring that if the company were to thrive, the future of the company could not rely on just one man to be the face as both World Heavyweight Champion and United State Champion. With the tradition of great former WCW United States champions such as Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, Wahoo McDaniel, and Greg "The Hammer" Valentine in mind, Flair picked eight of WCW's brightest stars to compete in the one night tournament for the second most prized possesion in World Championship Wrestling! No official participants have been announced, but the wrestling world has been buzzing with rumors ever since the backstage video of Flair was posted on wcwwrestling.com shortly after Nitro went off the air. Everyone from recent champions such as "The Franchise" Shane Douglas and Lance Storm to WCW mainstays like "The Icon" Sting and "The Total Package" Lex Luger, and a whole host of the hottest free agents in professional wrestling.

An official announcement of tournment particpates will be released in the coming in the coming days as new President of World Championship Wrestling Eric Bischoff and management continue the process of renegotiating contracts with talent as the company enters the post-Turner Broadcasting-era. WCW is proud to have great fans who have stuck with stuck with them through invasions, reboots, and near-death experiences and the company are confident they will be happy with their rewards as broadcasting & touring stabilize.

WCW Cruiserweight Champion "Sugar" Shane Helms is set to defend his title against one of the best in the division, Chavo Guerrero Jr. of the legendary Guerrero wrestling family. His fans believe Helms represents the future of not just the cruiserweight division, but perhaps the sport of wrestling as a whole while Guerrero believes WCW needs a champion with his sort of legacy as it enters the new era. Will it be a bit of futureshock, or will tradition prevail when these two high flying superstars clash?

Recently in WCW, a group known as the Natural Born Thrillers has been racking up wins over all sorts of competition. Once a much larger gang, an open message was issues via wcwwrestling.com by the trio of Chuck Palumbo, Sean O'Haire, and Mark Jindrak stating that, going forward, that the trio, and only the three of them, would be known as the Natural Born Thrillers. Palumbo & O'Haire dared any tag team in professional wrestling to show up at Slamboree -- The Big Bang and try to take the WCW World Tag Team titles from them, and much like the buzz surronding participants for the WCW United State Title Tournament, the rumor mill has been working overtime with duos who may arrive to challenge the brash young champions. Will anyone answer the call at all?

And finally, former WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team champions Team Canada, Elix Skipper and Kid Romeo, have invoked their rematch clause after losing the belts to Billy Kidman & Rey Mysterio Jr., The Filthy Animals, on the final Monday Nitro on TNT. . . sort of. When negotiating with new management, Team Canada refused to sign new contracts unless their rematch for Slamboree -- The Big Bang was guaranteed, and with the champions more than willing to grant the rematch anyway, the rematch is now set to take place!

All of this and more in just three weeks when World Championship Wrestling presents Slamboree -- The Big Bang! 
ORDER WCW PRESENTS SLAMBOREE -- THE BIG BANG LIVE ON PAY-PER-VIEW VIA YOUR LOCAL BRIGHT HOUSE PPV PROVIDER,
OR ORDER ONLINE AT http://WWW.WCWWRESTLING.COM TO STREAM THE EVENT ON YOUR HOME COMPUTER
CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE 

FROM THE DESK OF PRESIDENT
http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/attachment.php?attachmentid=192511&d=1355249488
Eric Bischoff
PRESIDENT'S BLOG ON WCWWRESTLING.COM 
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00727/Eric_Bischoff_727463a.jpg
Dear WCW Fans,

It is with great pleasure I address you here from my office at the new WCW headquarters within the Fusient Media office. Thankfully the building was located not far from our former offices in Atlanta, Georgia, so the change has been relatively smooth, at least in terms of transit and unloading times. . . sometimes I think the mountains of paperwork on my makeshift desk in the conference room are never going to get any smaller!

But, I'm sure none of you clicked on this link to hear me piss and moan about the trials of switching ownership and management in a multi-million dollar company-- you're all here for juicy details only someone with my inside ear can provide! But I regret to inform you all that I don't much new substance for you today, only a handful of confirmations and denials that I want to get out there so the rumor mills can quit working overtime.

I would first like to address Vince Russo, and his future as it relates to World Championship Wrestling. As many of you may know, Mr. Russo has been employed by WCW in the past several years as both an on-air talent and behind-the-scenes member of our creative team. It is the decision of myself and my partners at Fusient Media to not continue our business relationship with Mr. Russo, but I would like to thank him for all of his hard work and contributions to our company and to this business. I understand Vince has some options waiting for him in Hollywood, and I'd like to wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

Others are probably here looking for the names of particpants in the WCW United States Title Tournament slated to take place at Slamboree -- The Big Bang. Well, I'll be happy to at least whet your appettite with a few names I can confirm will be stepping into the ring for their chance at championship gold. The first man in my office to ensure his spot among the eight wrestlers competing was none other than "The Franchise" Shane Douglas; I like that dedication and drive in a potential champion, and personally seeded Shane in the number one spot. Also eager to make a name for himself, and perhaps add to his family's legacy, is "The Natural" Dustin Rhodes, son of WCW color commentator and wrestling legend "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes! Dustin will join Shane, along with Team Canada leader Lance Storm and five other WCW superstars in the one-night only tournament to crown a new champion and to take the bragging rights afforded the winner. Also, to quell some of the rumors I've been hearing out there from the so-called "dirtsheets," please don't expect anyone from the Philedelphia area to be showing up to participate!

Now, if I could be somewhat intimate with you all for a moment, I have to tell you that transfering ownership of a multi-million dollar company (didn't I already say you weren't here for this?) from a billion dollar corporation to a smaller media group is not easy. As much as we all may dislike it, the pants need tightened so-to-speak, and that means some cutbacks have to bed made. Unfortunately, that means some talents will have to be dismissed and our fans will no longer be able to see them on our programming. It also means that some of our roster may not be able to reach agreeable terms with us on a new contract. Over the next days and weeks, and probably months, our roster will be in necessary state of flux as old talents leave and new talents debut, some familiar favorites return, and others attempt to rebrand themselves and standout in the new era of World Championship Wrestling.

With that in mind, it gives me no great pleasure to tell you that we have parted ways with the following talents:  pro-wrestling legend "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, former Natural Born Thrillers Mike Sanders and Reno, the eccentric Kwee Wee, Ron & Don Harris (perhaps more familiar to you all as Creative Control), Norman Smiley (our fans will certianly miss the "Big Wiggle," Norman!), and the big powerhouse Road Warrior Animal. Perhaps someday these great talents will return to a WCW ring, but for now it is time for all involved to move on to the next phase of their careers.

As if I needed to say so after an announcement like that, but since the official message board is getting flooded: YES, we all know the roster page link is dead. Promise something will be online come Monday morning after the show.

I know you're all chomping at the bit for me to drop some scoops about guys like Sting, Nature Boy, Buff Bagwell, Big Sexy, and Lex Luger , but I simply can't comment on any of them at this time. Some discussions are going better than others, some deals are waiting on ink, and others aren't even being typed yet! I know it probably sounds like I'm trying to sell pay-per-views (maybe I am), but if you want to see who is going to show up for Slamboree -- The Big Bang, you're just going to have to tune in because some deals will probably be signed right before those talents show up on the show! That's how hard and just how much we are working to get these things done for all of you. I'd like to be able to assure you that all of your favorites will be there, but I refuse to eat any of my words during these crucial transitional months.

What I can assure you of is that deals are in place for the main event, and WCW World Champion Booker T, former champ Scott Steiner, and homegrown WCW superstar DDP and baring injury or act of God, those three plan to step into the ring and fight like dogs for what I'm told you all call the Big Gold Belt. I have, sitting in that stack a papers I mentioned, an open contract for a WCW World Tag Team title match already signed by the champions Chuck Palumbo & Sean O'Haire just waiting for another team to come through the doors and sign. I promise, every championship will be decided at The Big Bang.

Well, that's really MORE than I had time for today, but you've all been so patient I wanted to show you that it really is a virtue and divulge as much as I can. I'll continue to provide updates as frequently as I can here and, as always, wcwwrestling.com will have all the latest breaking news in the meantime!

- E 

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/Imarevenant/TEW%20Diary/PWTorch.jpg
LATEST WCW NEWS & RUMORS
AOL-TIME WARNER PAYING SOME BILLS; CONFIRMED SIGNINGS; US TITLE TOURNAMENT PARTICIPANTS
Word going around among WCW talent is that AOL-Time Warner is assisting Fusient financially with some of the contract buyouts the company is negotiating. This was likely a stipulation of the sale, as Eric Bischoff is saavy enough to know he couldn't afford some talents due to the financial strain of their long, guaranteed contracts. None of the released talent have come forward and said that their contracts were bought out by the former owners of WCW. It is highly suspected that workers like Sid Vicious, Goldberg, Kevin Nash, and perhaps even Sting will either have their deals bought out or sit through their guaranteed contracts.

In somewhat related news, word is that the next round of releases announced will include some of the companies over-priced midcard. This potentially puts guys like Hugh Morrus, Brian Adams, Bryan Clarke (Wrath), and Mike Awesome at risk. Morrus is long-employed with a bloated contract due to years of service, Adams & Clarke were given big contracts as former WWF guys, and Awesome got a huge deal with the plan for him to appear on television with the ECW World title before an injuction stopped that.

All of the talent in the recent press release are confirmed to have deals transfered over to the new company, as well as Shane Douglas, Lance Storm, and Dustin Rhodes as announced by Eric Bischoff on their website. Jeff Jarrett is expected to be announced soon, and sources say that Bischoff has been negotiating tirelessly with Sting for a deal that will lure him into the fold.

Mark Jindrak is expected to be added to the US title tournament, as is Jeff Jarrett once a deal is completed. 

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/1811/nwaustitleyz1.jpg
UNITED STATES TITLE TOURNAMENT PARTICPANTS FINALIZED
WCWWRESTLING.COM EXCLUSIVE 
World Championship Wrestling is pleased to announce that have completed contracts with all eight men slated to take place in the United States Title Tournament. Previosuly revealed competitors include "The Natural" Dustin Rhodes, "The Franchise" Shane Douglas, and the leader of Team Canada, Lance Storm. Affirming our mission to bring you news as soon as it happens, wcwwrestling.com is proud to announce the identities of the other five men in the one-night showdown.

Looking to wear gold like his fellow Natural Born Thrillers, Mark Jindrak will see himself across the ring from "The Natural" in the first round. Will Rhodes move on in his quest to add to his family's legacy. or will Jindrak earn a thrilling victory for his posse?

The ever-popular former commisoner of WCW, Ernest "The Cat" Miller enters the first round in what Eric Bischoff considers his toughest challenge as he faces the number one seed in the tournament, "The Franchise" Shane Douglas. Does "The Cat" really have nine lives, or will the feline be out-Franchised?

Leader of Team Canada and the self-proclaimed "Canadian Hero" Lance Storm is seemingly on the end of a bad deal in the seeding of the tournament as he enters with the biggest size disadvantage in the brackets, squaring off against the mammoth "Beast From The East" Bam Bam Bigelow! If the "Hero" can't tame the "Beast," the Asbury Park, New Jersey will be one step closer to having championship gold brought home courtest of Bam Bam Bigelow!

In the final first round match, the egomaniacal Jeff Jarrett steps into the ring with WCW mainstay and Filthy Animal Konnan! Jarrett is a former WCW World  and United States champion, Konnan a former US title holder himself; which man will advance to the second round for another chance at holding the gold? You'll have to purchase WCW presents Slamboree -- The Big Bang, live on PPV and internet streaming PPV, next Sunday night beginning at 7PM EST where the official brackets will be revealed! Eight men enter, one man emerges a champion!

RIC FLAIR'S
NATURE BOY BLOG 
SUPERSTAR BLOG ON WCWWRESTLING.COM
http://www.wwe.com/f/styles/superstar_bio/public/talent/bio/2012/01/ric-flair-bio.png
Wooooo! The Nature Boy is live and online for wcwwrestling.com! No holds barred here on the Nature Boy Blog, I used to be in charge and I still got plenty of stroke and respect around here, which means I can & will say whatever I damn well please! You think Dustin dogging Vince Russo on the little call-in show we used to do was controversial, keep reading, because Naitch as a lot to say.

First of all, Eric Bischoff, Mr. President. . . you're making a big mistake removing me from my position as CEO of World Championship Wrestling. I have been with this company through thick and thin, and if the new bosses don't believe that I always act with the best interest of the WCW at heart, I can only assume it's because of no good, snake-in-the-grass bastard like you! It's no secret, not even to these internet fans, that you and I don't like each other. I don't trust you, and I don't trust what you might have in store for this company that I love now that you are completely in charge. It was you who knocked us steadily down the ladder, rung by rung, to where we are not and I don't believe you'll be the one to start us on the way back up.

So now I have to fight for what I think it right, for the direction I know WCW has to go, because only I, the Nature Boy. . .the limousine-riding, jet flying, wheeling, dealing, kiss-stealing, son of a gun. . . the dirtiest player in the game. . . know what is best for World Championship Wrestling. There is only one way for me to do that now, so I'm here to let you fans know that the Nature Boy Ric Flair has signed a new contract with WCW to return to active competition!

If I can't lead from the boardroom, I'll lead from the lockerroom. And rest assured, Eric Bischoff, when the tides start to turn it won't be because of you. It will be because of ME!

Woooo!
-Natich 

UPDATED WCW ROSTER
RIC FLAIR ANNOUNCES HE HAS JOINED COMPANY, PPV TALENT, STING UPDATE 
Ric Flair announced on his wcwwrestling.com blog that he has signed on to become a full-time wrestler with the company, making him the first top talent outside of the Slamboree main eventers to sign with the company. Word is that Eric Bischoff and Fusient Media are scrambling to determine the right cuts, buyouts, and signings to make as they trim down WCW's roster and reshape it for the future.

Deals are in place for all talent appearing at the PPV, although it is rumored that several wrestlers will be appearing on short term deals that may expire as soon as the end of the show. More than one talent in the US title tournament has been said to be on their way after the show and it is also being said that creative is planning some "farewell moments" for certain talent at Slamboree.

Sting's name has come up as everything from a potential US title tournament competitor to heel stable with Ric Flair, to him having his contract bought out and retiring or potentially jumping to WWF. Several sources have said that he will appear at Slamboree in some capacity, potentially one of the aforementioned farewell moments.

Tony Schiavone recently stated on his Atlanta morning radio show that he & Mike Tenay would both be in the announce booth for The Big Bang, but did not know who would be their color man. He also said Mean Gene Okerlund would be on hand to conduct interviews and man the hotline.

As it stands now, this is our compiled & updated WCW roster. Sources include the companies website, wrestlers' personal website, and evidence from recent indie appearances.

• Booker T (WCW World Champion)
  • "Sugar" Shane Helms (WCW Cruiserweight Champion)
  • Sean O'Haire (WCW Tag Team Champion)
  • Chuck Palumbo (WCW Tag Team Champion)
  • Billy Kidman (WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Champion)
  • Rey Mysterio Jr. (WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Champion)
  • "The Franchise" Shane Douglas
  • Torrie Wilson
  • Paisley
  • Scott Steiner
  • Rick Steiner
  • Midajah
  • Diamond Dallas Page
  • "The Beast From The East" Bam Bam Bigelow
  • Jeff Jarrett
  • Lance Storm
  • Mark Jindrak
  • Ric Flair
  • "The Natural" Dustin Rhodes
  • Konnan
  • Ernest "The Cat Miller"
  • Elix Skipper
  • Kid Romeo
  • Arn Anderson
  • Jason Jett
  • Evan Karagias
  • Shannon Moore
  • Disqo (Disco Inferno)
  • Big Vito
  • Johnny the Bull
  • Tony Schiavone
  • Mike Tenay
  • Mean Gene Okerlund
  • Eric Bischoff

FROM THE DESK OF PRESIDENT
Eric Bischoff
PRESIDENT'S BLOG ON WCWWRESTLING.COM 
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00727/Eric_Bischoff_727463a.jpg
Dear WCW Fans,

As you may have recently seen during a brief takeover of the wcwwrestling.com main page, Sting has signed on to make his presence felt as Slamboree -- The Big Bang! His message on our splash page may have been a little vague, but his message to me when he came to the office yesterday was not.

After reading the Nature Boy Blog, Sting was furious. . . angrier than even myself about Ric Flair's ridiculous tirade. I promised you all uncensored access to the superstars online, or I'd have pulled that trash not long after it went up, if it ever saw the internet at all!

Anyway, when Sting was in my office he told me that any hesitance he had about continuing his WCW career was put to rest when he read what he called, and I'm quoting here, "Flair's vile, hate-filled, anti-WCW ramblings."

So in the few moments I have, I wanted to let you all know: Slamboree -- The Big Bang, six-man tag action, Team Flair versus Team Sting. Count on it!

- E 

PREDICTION KEY

WCW WORLD: BOOKER T © -VS- SCOTT STEINER -VS- DDP

I can see Scotty winning the belt and having Booker go into chase mode. Booker and Scotty had some really great chemistry in real life, so hopefully you're able to replicate that.

WCW CRUISERWEIGHT: SHANE HELMS © -VS- CHAVO GUERRERO JR.

I'm an unabashed fan boy of both workers, but Helms is younger and you could build the entire division around him

WCW CRUISERWEIGHT TAG TEAM: FILTHY ANIMALS © -VS- TEAM CANADAIt's Rey FREAKING MYSTERIO!

WCW TAG TEAM: NATURAL BORN THRILLERS -VS- ???

Palumbo and O'Haire have a huge upside, but at this point they're still really green. I'm not going to predict who their opponents are, but I think the NBT lose the belts.

TEAM FLAIR [RIC FLAIR, ???, ???] -VS- TEAM STING [sTING, ???, ???]

Since this is the first show of the new WCW, I feel like the heels shoud win here. Gives Sting something to feud over without being in the title picture.

US TITLE TOURNAMENT

SHANE DOUGLAS -VS- ERNEST MILLER

BAM BAM BIGELOW -VS- LANCE STORM

DUSTIN RHODES -VS- MARK JINDRAK

JEFF JARRETT -VS- KONNAN

DOUGLAS -VS- STORM

RHODES-VS- JARRETT

US: STORM -VS- RHODES

Storm is one of the best workers on the roster, it's only right that he gets to taste gold again.

http://wcw2000.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/slamboree_logo_4.jpg
THE BIG BANG
LIVE ON PPV VIA BRIGHT HOUSE AND STREAMING PPV @ WCWWRESTLING.COM
SUNDAY, WEEK 2, MAY 2001  
BREAKING NEWS! WCWWRESTLING.COM EXCLUSIVE!
FULL CARD FOR SLAMBOREE -- THE BIG BANG
MAIN EVENT
THREE-WAY DANCE FOR
WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE 
BOOKER T © -vs- SCOTT STEINER -vs- DIAMOND DALLAS PAGE
WCW UNITED STATES TITLE
EIGHT-MAN ONE-NIGHT TOURNAMENT
  1. SHANE DOUGLAS -vs- ERNEST MILLER
  2. BAM BAM BIGELOW -vs- LANCE STORM
  3. DUSTIN RHODES -vs- MARK JINDRAK
  4. JEFF JARRETT -vs- KONNAN
WCW CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE
SHANE HELMS © -vs- CHAVO GUERRERO JR.
WCW TAG TEAM TITLES
NATURAL BORN THRILLERS ©
[CHUCK PALUMBO & SEAN O'HAIRE]
ISSUE AN OPEN CHALLENGE 
WCW CRUISERWEIGHT TAG TEAM TITLES
THE FILTHY ANIMALS ©
[bILLY KIDMAN & REY MYSTERIO JR.]
-vs-
TEAM CANADA
id="">[ELIX SKIPPER & KID ROMEO] 
SIX-MAN TAG TEAM EXTRAVAGANZA
TEAM FLAIR
[RIC FLAIR + ???]
-vs-
TEAM STING
[sTING + ???] 
PREDICTION KEY
WCW WORLD: BOOKER T © -VS- SCOTT STEINER -VS- DDP
WCW CRUISERWEIGHT: SHANE HELMS © -VS- CHAVO GUERRERO JR.
WCW CRUISERWEIGHT TAG TEAM: FILTHY ANIMALS © -VS- TEAM CANADA
WCW TAG TEAM: NATURAL BORN THRILLERS -VS- ???
TEAM FLAIR [RIC FLAIR, ???, ???] -VS- TEAM STING [sTING, ???, ???]

US TITLE TOURNAMENT
SHANE DOUGLAS -VS- ERNEST MILLER
BAM BAM BIGELOW -VS- LANCE STORM
DUSTIN RHODES -VS- MARK JINDRAK
JEFF JARRETT -VS- KONNAN

DOUGLAS/MILLER -VS- BAM BAM/STORM
RHODES/JINDRAK -VS- JARRETT/KONNAN

US: [DOUGLAS/MILLER/BAM BAM/STORM] -VS- [RHODES/JINDRAK/JARRETT/KONNAN]

Nitro to return on E! Entertainment?
http://web.archive.org/web/20010516021057im_/http://411wrestling.com/images/2/enter.gif
This image was recently spotted as an ad on Entertainment Weekly's ew.com website, pretty much confirming that WCW Monday Nitro is returning to the air. No official announcement has been made, as the company was likely saving the news until Slamboree. You can see the ad below, and possibly still see it on EW.com
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff94/falling_starTNA/nitro_wallpaper.jpg

OOC: Show will be up Friday afternoon, for anyone who would like to get predictions posted for the bragging rights. I hope everyone is enjoying the format of things, I'm trying to portray WCW as a company trying to embrace the internet before the social media explosion and using the "internet" to build my story.

Also, as is the case in the real world, don't believe everything you read in the dirtsheets. ;) I try to create a sense of the IWC and other companies and any feedback on how I'm doing/creative criticism is much appreciated. I have some surprises in store for fans who were part of the IWC in 2001 that I hope will bring some smiles.

ANOTHER LINK TO CRAYON'S AWESOME FICTIONPLUS TOOL & THREAD FOR DYNASTY AUTHORS, WHICH IS HOW I DO MY FORMATTING

http://web.archive.org/web/20010524102520im_/http://411wrestling.com/images/2/mainbig.gif
http://web.archive.org/web/20010524102520im_/http://411wrestling.com/images/2/reportshead.gif
WCW presents Slamboree -- The Big Bang
Posted by Widro Sun.Wk2.05.01

WCW presents Slamboree -- The Big Bang 05.14.01
Live From The BankAtlantic Center
Announcers Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay, and the American Dream
Report by Widro

WCW Logo

Decent opening package about atoms and elements aligning to explode and create something great. In the arena now with an opening pyro display and a nice, sleek looking set with old school design on the left side of the entryway that fades into a new, state-of-the-art looking set on the right side, with a big screen and several other monitors. Production value seems to be on par with any previous WCW PPV.

Schiavone, Tenay, and Rhodes welcome us at ring side, and tell us to prepare for an explosive night here in the new era of World Championship Wrestling. Dream says he's ready for some clubbering!

Schiavone intros a video to hype the World title main event, Booker T defender against Poppa Pump and DDP (for some reason). It's nice to see they, at the very least, are allowed to use their old footage if it wasn't included in the purchase. The video showcases Booker and Steiner first, then a record scratch throws DDP in the mix and he is searching for the belt because he, "deserves the damn thing for sticking around." Heel DDP?? It ends with Booker telling everyone, "I am the future of WCW," and another voice angrily echoing, "you are NOT the future!" DDP?? Didn't sound like Steiner, and no one was on screen.

WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Titles
Filthy Animals © vs. Team Canada
Schiavone reminds us that Team Canada refused to sign new contracts unless Skipper & Romeo were given a rematch AND Lance Storm received the number 2 seed in the US title tournament. No waiting for the bell, Animals charge the Canadians and clear house. Rey starts, Romeo is the first to make it back to the ring for his team. Quick teamwork by Rey & Kidman, several tags and near-falls working over Romeo. Kidman finally whips him to the wrong corner and Skipper with a tag to change the tides. They work him over for a while til the hot tag to Rey and HUGE leap to the outside onto the other 3! Back inside with Mysterio & Skipper, Rey with some lucha sequence leading him to the top rope but Skipper catches him and POWER BOMB! Rey's  head bounced on that one! 2 count and kickout! Skipper can't believe it, covers again and another 2! Comeback by Rey into a tag, Kidman in to eventually finish with a Shooting Star Press and retain.
Winner and still WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Champions: Filthy Animals (Rey Mysterio Jr. & Billy Kidman)

Here comes the Nature Boy. He says that Eric Bischoff is not good for WCW, and he has proof. His proof are his two partners for tonight's six-man tag. The first man is a talented wrestler who has been with WCW for half a decade, and in that time has almost nothing to show for it. He did what was asked of him, he played second fiddle, he donned a mask, took it off, played kids games, dressed up like one of the freakin' Village People. A talented wrestler Eric Bischoff never allowed to get anywhere be he didn't "look" like a superstar, or "sound" like a superstar when the truth is that Uncle Eric's friend DDP didn't want his "friend" to get ahead of him in the pecking order.

That brings out Kanyon to tons of boos. Thankfully, Flair keeps the mic as Kanyon joins him in the ring. Nature Boy says the third man is someone who has been treated just as poorly when he should be one of the faces of the company. He came to WCW as a former World champion and instead of challenging the Hulk Hogans and Booker Ts and Ric Flairs, instead they made him a joke. But he will be a joke no more, because the monster inside has been unleashed and he will accept nothing less than respect. This brings out Mike Awesome! Awesome is sans mullet and looking jacked, screaming at the crowd on his way to the ring.

Flair says men like them should be the face of WCW, and tonight they intend to give WCW a facelift. It doesn't matter who Sting brings into that ring, because Mike Awesome will break one, Chris Kanyon will out wrestle the other, and the Nature Boy will make Sting his BITCH like he has for the last 15 years. Save WCW.

Wow.

US Title Tournament, Rd. 1
Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Lance Storm
Some nice wrestling to start, Bam Bam showing how agile and just how good he is at his size & age. Storm with the upperhand for a while until an irish whip leads to stalemate power spots that Bam Bam eventually wins and takes over. He muscles Storm around, some high impact slams and Storm looks like he is in pain. Bigelow keeps working him over, but Storm looks to turn it around. Several moments where he almost does, but Bigelow eventually gives him a Greetings From Asbury Park to move on in the tournament.
Winner, advancing to round 2: Bam Bam Bigelow

Announcers talk about the next match exemplifying the tradition vs evolution attitude that seems to be going around.

Dustin Rhodes vs Mark Jindrak
Jindrak gets the drop on him, works control for a bit. Belly-to-back and Jindrak signals for the Mark of Perfection early. Rhodes counters on the pick-up, momentum change and The Natural in control now. Snap suplex for 2. Crowd doesn't seem to care. Jindrak with a thumb to the eye to take control again. Doesn't last long as Rhodes nails a Bulldog on the rebound for the 3 count. Crowd still doesn't seem to care.
Winner, advancing to round 2: Dustin Rhodes

"The Franchise" is out with Torrie Wilson not far behind. Crowd is more into Torrie than they were the entire last match, and that's not good. But Torrie is on my TV now, so who cares? Douglas says it doesn't matter if an impressed Eric Bischoff gave him the number one seed or not, because no one in this tournament or in this company is in his league. He says maybe he should have left the sinking ship with the other rats because he doesn't see anything left but small fry and he is left as the biggest fish in the pond.

Shane Douglas vs Ernest The Cat Miller
Crowd pops for The Cat's James Brown-inspired entrance, but Douglas levels him as soon as he gets into the ring. Franchise laying in a beating before Cat has even taken his velvet cape off. Works him over for a while before Cat starts firing back. Lefts & rights by Miller have Douglas reeling. Cat with the upperhand, but he decides to dance which lets Douglas gain the advantage. Pittsburgh Plunge puts The Cat away.
Winner, advancing to round 2: Shane Douglas

Tenay & Dusty talk about the final first round match, Dusty angrily discussing his issues with Jarrett while Tenay goes over Konnan's achievements in WCW and lucha libre.

Konnan is out to do his schtick before we begin.

Jeff Jarrett vs Konnan
These two go back and forth for a while, Jarrett doing some cocky showboating while Konnan gets the crowd cheering. Konnan nearly takes it with a Tequila Sunrise, but Jarrett gets to the ropes. Stroke eventually takes the win for Jarrett, and round one is over. Yeah, I want to the bathroom during that one.
Winner, advancing to round 2: Jeff Jarrett 

Schiavone announces at ringside that we have an unnannounced bonus match coming up next. Cruiserweight title match is still to come, #1 contender's match is up next.

Cruiserweight Title #1 Contender's Match
Jamie Knoble vs Jason Jett vs Yun Yang
These guys are going 1000mph from the start here, Knoble diving from the ring onto Yang before he finishes his entrance and Jett launching onto the two of them as they get up. Jett takes Knoble back into the ring for a 2 count. Jett puts the boots to him for a minute, and when it looks like Knoble is going to get the upperhand Yang is back in to takeover for Jett. Yang & Knoble pick the pack back up, a huge superplex by Knoble getting 2. Knoble goes back up and nails a diving leg drop, but Jett is back in. . . Crash Landing! 1. . . 2. . . 3!!!
Winner, and #1 conteder to Cruiserweight title: Jason Jett 

They show a bracket for the second round of the United States title tournament. Match-ups are Jarrett vs Rhodes and Douglas vs Bigelow. I can hear the ECW chants already. 

US Title Tournament, Rd. 2
Shane Douglas vs Bam Bam Bigelow
Triple Threat hand signs littered all throughout the crowd as they lock-up. Bam Bam almost gets the advantage but Douglas outsmarts him & taunts him about it. Another lock-up, Bam Bam powers through Douglas and tosses him into the corner then taunts him about it. Down to business now with Bigelow taking the upperhand for a while. Thumb to the eye by Douglas changes momentum, and they take it to the outside. Ringside brawl starts out tame but gets rougher as they work their way around the ringside area. Ref frantically warning them not to get DQ'd as it will remove them from the tournament. Bigelow goes to whip Douglas into the steps, Franchise reverses and Bam Bam crashes into the steps while Douglas stumbles to the announce booth to catch his breath. Bigelow recovers and charges, but Douglas grabs him and plows him through the announce table with a Pittsburgh Plunge!! Ref back inside and begins the count. There are those ECW chants. Douglas back in the ring as the ref counts 3, Bigelow looks like he's going to be counted out, but NO, rolls back into the ring at 9. Douglas leans over to pick him up but gets rolled into a small package! 1. . .2. . . NO, Douglas kicks out. Franchise is shocked Bigelow recovered, and the Beast from the East is fighting back! They trade punches but Douglas outsmarts the big man with a counter that allows him to nail a second Pittsburgh Plunge! 1. . .2. . . 3!! Match of the night so far. . . I'm not sure that's a good thing, but, still, match of the night.
Winner, advanding to the finals: "The Franchise" Shane Douglas

Announcers hype the next semi-final match, we can still see the ring crew cleaning up and restoring the broadcast booth.

US Title Tournament, Rd. 2
Jeff Jarrett vs Dustin Rhodes
From the start this one is pretty slow-paced, and I think I still see some ring crew cleaning up. Rhodes shines in the beginning, but a miscalculation allows Jarrett to steal control. We're seeing everything here you'd expect to see out a main event of WCW weekend programming. Somehow, out of seemingly nowhere, Rhodes comes off the second turnbuckle with a Bulldog for the win! Crowd pops way more for Dustin winning than anything else in the match.
Winner, advancing to the finals: Dustin Rhodes

Rhodes celebrating in the ring like he already won the belt. Jarrett raging on the outside, tosses the ref into the time keeper and grabs his guitar! Uh oh! Spins Dustin around and delivers the EL KABONG~! with his guitar! Jarrett nods in satisfaction, seeing Dustin lay on the canvas with what's left of a guitar around his neck. "Good luck, slapnuts!" Jarrett taunts as he leaves the ring.

Short hype video for the history of the US Title before we come back to the announcers, hyping "The Franchise" vs "The Natural" and wondering if Rhodes will be able to compete. Their questions are cut off by the music of the Natural Born Thrillers as O'Haire & Palumbo make their way out accompanied by Mark Jindrak.

O'Haire says no one has answered their challenge because no one in the back has the guts to fight them, and WCW doesn't have deep pockets to reach into anymore to cart out has-beens like The Road Warriors and The Rock 'N' Roll Express to fight them. Palumbo says they're tired of waiting, and is about to declare a Natural Born Thrillers victory when. . .

KRONIK!

Natural Born Thrillers don't look pleased at all. All three guys are huddled in a corner discussing strategy as Brian Adams & Bryan Clark enter the arena to a huge ovation. O'Haire & Palumbo don't look ready for this at all!

WCW Tag Team Titles
Natural Born Thrillers © vs Kronik
Lots of stalling from O'Haire to start. Tags in Palumbo before any action begins. Clark easily with the upperhand when they finally lock-up. Clark & Adams show off their power and teamwork with quick tags, keeping Palumbo isolated for a bit. O'Haire doesn't fair much better when he finally gets tagged into the match. Jindrak trips up Adams from the outside, allowing the Thrillers to get the advantage. Thrillers in control, working Adams over for a while before he can make the hot tag. Crowd is hot for Clark to get into the match as he takes out O'Haire, clears Palumbo off the apron, and even has a kick through the ropes for Jindrak on the outside. Clark is a man on fire as he prepares O'Haire for the Meltdown! Palubmo & Jindrak back in the ring, they have the belts! Palumbo nails Clark in the head with the title belt, Jindrak barely keeping Adams from saving his partner as he, too, is clocked with one of the title belts as the bell sounds.
Winners, by DQ: Kronik

Natural Born Thrillers showboat over the fallen Kronik for a moment before leaving with their belts.

Tony Shiavone reminds us that still to come, Eric Bischoff will deliver a State of WCW address. Tenay adds that the boss has a hot announcement to make about the future of WCW.

WCW Crusierweight Title
Shane Helms © vs Chavo Guerrero Jr.
Still love that Sugar Shane entrance! Chavo attacks from behind. Shane with a fireman’s carry into his knee face first. Shane goes back to work. To the floor briefly, and Chavo takes control. Back in, belly to back by Chavo. Chavo beats him into the corner. Sets up for a superplex. Shane tosses him off. Top rope sunset flip for 2. Crowd is dead. Big clothesline by Chavo, cover for 2. Huge chop by Chavo. High cross body by Shane. Back and forth. Chavo hits a T-bone suplex for 2. More maneuvering, Northern Lights suplex bridged for 2 by Chavo. Shane with a cool sunset flip for 2. Gut wrench backbreaker by Shane. Sugar Smack ducked, Chavo goes for DDT, Shane floats over and then hits a Sugar Smack. Signals for Vertebreaker! 1. . .2. . .3!!!
Winner, and STILL WCW Cruiserweight Champion: Sugar Shane Helms

Bischoff out now for his address. Briefly runs through the history of WCW from its days as an NWA wrestling program to branching out on its own under Ted Turner. Mentions weekends at the MGM sound stage, debuting Nitro from the Mall of America, and all sorts of other moments a lot of fans would probably rather forget. Talks about how they "survived" the nWo and how they continue to forge ahead despite all the doomsayers. He announces that live attendance for Slamboree is better than he had hoped, calls wcwwrestling.com the hottest page on the internet & thanks their media team for helping build the event without the benefit of televion, and thanks Bright House Communications for believing in them enough to put this show on the air.

He is proud to announce that WCW Monday Nitro will return to the air, LIVE every Monday night, on E! Entertainment starting April 1st! I know we broke that news here the other day, but I'm still shocked! That was a fast turnaround, and an odd network to pick them up. The show will air from 10pm to 11:30pm, followed every Monday by a Talk Soup Live with Aisha Tyler. Funny, I thought they were going to cancel that show soon.

Bischoff announces that Jason Jett will get his Cruiserweight title shot on the first episode. Not only that, but to kick things off right the main event will be a non-title showdown between the WCW World and WCW United States champions, whoever they may be come June 1st! He is also pleased to announce that WCW will return to PPV next month, the third Sunday in June, with WCW's Clash of the Champions! He thanks everyone for coming and starts to walk away, but shakes his head and and grins ear-to-ear.

"Oh, I almost forgot! How stupid of me. World Championship Wrestling is also happy to announce their latest signing! Take a look!"

A video begins to play, dark and vague at first but then the crescendo of the music makes it all clear! 

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff94/falling_starTNA/84ac735f-b4b7-4588-9f1a-2756353889e4.jpg
The crowd is going wild, chanting GOLDBERG! GOLDBERG! GOLDBERG! as we come back into the arena. The announcers are wetting themselves in excitement as well, but try to hype the tournament final coming up.

WCW United States Title Tournament Final
Shane Douglas vs Dustin Rhodes
Douglas makes fun of some fans with Goldberg signs on his way to the ring, looking surprisingly fresh after his battle with Bam Bam Bigelow earlier. Rhodes looks like that mac truck from the old King of the Road match ran him over, and is still carrying the broken guitar neck from earlier with him. Dustin doesn't look like he stands a chance here, and Dusty eschews his color commentating duties to launch into a tirade on Jeff Jarrett. The match has started and while Dusty is going on about Jarrett ruining his son's shot at the title, Rhodes is shining with some good offense. Way to pay attention, Dream. Rhodes on offense until a high impact clothesline from Douglas reminds us all Dustin took a guitar to the head earlier. From there Douglas starts to dismantle Rhodes, working the head and neck. Douglas with several near falls but Rhodes will not quit! Douglas goes for a Pittsburgh Plunge, Rhodes wrestles his way out, Bionic Elbow to Douglas! Another, and another! Rhodes is moving towards the corner, ready to hit Franchise with a Bulldog, but Douglas has the ropes! Rhodes crashes to the mat and Franchise works quickly to hit the Plunge and claim the United States title!
Winner, and NEW WCW United States Champion: "The Franchise" Shane Douglas

Douglas claims his title and celebrates in the ring. Dusty congratulates him but says Jeff Jarrett has some payback on the way from the Rhodes family. The announcers intro a quick recap of the earlier promo by Ric Flair where he revelead Kanyon and Mike Awesome as his partners tonight. 

Aaaaaaaand here's Sting! No promo introductions for his partners as he comes halfway down the ramp and stops, then points back to the entrance and here comes. . . Lex Luger?! Crowd's not sure what to think as this guy was a heel five seconds ago. He & Sting hug and Tenay puts over the friendship they've had through thick and thin, which I guess makes sense. I'm honestly not sure why I didn't see this one coming. Anyway, both guys point now and. . . WOLFPAC HOWL! It's Kevin Nash! Did not expect to see all three of these guys moving to the new WCW, but we'll see what happens.

Luger with the mic first, puts over that Sting is his best friend and that no matter what the fans might have thought of him in the past, he's always loved WCW. He says Sting is WCW and hands him the mic. Like many others tonight, Sting puts over his history with WCW and all the things he's been through, keeping a little more in character than some others as he talks about the hurt he felt when fans believed he would have joined the nWo when they had the fake Sting. But that seems eons ago with all that has happened since. . . his war with Vampiro, The New Blood. . . he's gone to war countless times for WCW and now he has to do it again. But he never thought Ric Flair would be across from him. He says Flair is some sort of virus and that they will be the antidote.

Big Sexy on the mic now, crowd is happy to see him. He says that Sting called him up and asked for someone to come kick some ass, so Big Sexy came to kick some ass. If Mike Awesome thinks he's going to break anyone, come on down and try to break Big Sexy.

Team Flair vs Team Sting
Awesome and Luger to start. Awesome showing better power, tossing Luger around and demanding he tag in Nash. Luger finally obliges, but Awesome tags in Flair before they face off and brushes his shoulders off on the outside. Flair struts around and taunts Nash with a "Woooo!" or six. Nash has had enough and decks Flair, putting the Nature Boy down. Nash in control for a while before gets a lowblow, allowing him to tag out to Kanyon. Tenay puts over his Innovator of Offense moniker as he works on Nash's leg. Kanyon has him up, bounces off the ropes, sidewalk slam! They're both down. Nash tags Sting in just as Kanyon lunges for a tag, and gets Flair! Crowd ERUPTS as Sting and Flair step into the ring. Flair gives another "Wooo!!!" as Sting screams back as per usual. Sting with the upper hand as they work their way into the familar spots. Scorpion Deathlock brings in Awesome to break it up. Flair tags Awesome. Awesome puts a beating on Sting, but Stinger reveres out of the Awesome Bomb into a DDT. Hot tag to Luger as Awesome is back up. Luger comes in like the proverbial house of fire, but Awesome is like an immovable object. Sting is still recovering on the outside. SICK Awesome Bomb on Luger! 1. . . Kanyon flying across the ring to keep Nash from breaking up the pin. . .2. . . 3!!
Winners: Team Flair

Flair barking orders now. Kanyon setting up a table, kicking Nash for good measure. Flair stomps on Sting. Awesome Bomb through the table! Luger looks destroyed! Flair tells him that's enough, spitting on Luger as they make their exit and Team Sting lie broken and scattered around the ring. EMTs out to check on Luger and he gets the stretcher job.

Announcers are concerned as we cut to video hyping Booker T's journey to the belt and desire to be the face of WCW. 

WCW World Heavyweight Title
Booker T © vs Scott Steiner vs DDP
Midajah out with her Big Bad Booty Daddy (I'm never typing that again). Steiner and Booker T lockup and Booker T with some movements. Steiner clothesline, Booker T ducks and Harlem Sidekick for 2. Clothesline out of the corner by DDP on Booker T for 2. Brawling moves to the floor, and Midajah gets involved. Steiner uses the STEEEEEEL pipe. Misses Booker T, but nails DDP and still is in control. Back in the ring, and Scott with a clothesline, and a biceps kiss elbow drop. No cover, some pushups. DDP back in to club Steiner from behind. DDP controls Booker now. Booker T fights up. Booker T puts his head down, and DDP hits him. Dropkick by Booker T! Booker T with the axe kick!! Spin a roony! Steiner rushes in. Harlem sidekick! Book End attempt on DDP, reversal in a Diamond Cutter! DDP is slow to cover. Gets 2 before Steiner breaks it up. Belly-to-belly on DDP. Bridged Northern Lights suplex for 2. Steiner powerbomb attempt on DDP, Booker T over DDP out of nowhere with the Harlem Sidekick and the pin!
Winner and STILL WCW Champion: Booker T 

Booker celebrates as the show ends. 

Send Feedback to
Widro

Talk about 411's Slamboree -- The Big Bang Report on 411 Fan Forum 
http://web.archive.org/web/20010612172743im_/http://411wrestling.com/images/2/endbig.gif

RIC FLAIR'S
NATURE BOY BLOG 
SUPERSTAR BLOG ON WCWWRESTLING.COM
http://www.wwe.com/f/styles/superstar_bio/public/talent/bio/2012/01/ric-flair-bio.png
Wooooo! I told you we were gonna do it! Mike Awesome, the Career Killer, is going to destroy everything that is wrong with WCW. And at the first Nitro, he's gonna finish what he started with Lex Luger.

Total Package, you already got two Awesome Bombs, maybe the third time will be the charm? Whatever the case may be, WCW fans, the Nature Boy wants you to rest easily with the knowledge that, soon, WCW will be rid of it's Lex Luger problem.

Woooo!
-Natich 

WWF JUDGEMENT DAY LIVE RESULTS [REFRESH FOR CURRENT RESULTS]
EXCLUSIVE LIVE REPORT FROM THE ARENA
Billy Gunn defeated Grandmaster Sexay
Trish & Ivory defeated Lita & Jaqueline
Rhyno retained the Hardcore title by pinning Spike Dudley
Matt Hardy retained the WWF European title over Val Venis
WWF Light Heavyweight champion Jerry Lynn beat Funaki
WWF Women's champion Chyna retained over Terri
WWF Intercontential champion HHH beat Tommy Dreamer
The Rock beat The Big Show
WWF World Champion Stone Cold Steve Austin beat Chris Jericho

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff94/falling_starTNA/nitro_wallpaper.jpg
CLASH OF THE CHAMPIONS KICKOFF
WCW WORLD CHAMPION
BOOKER T
-vs-
WCW UNITED STATES CHAMPION
"THE FRANCHISE" SHANE DOUGLAS

WCW CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE MATCH
"SUGAR"
SHANE HELMS ©
-vs-
JASON JETT

"CAREER KILLER"
MIKE AWESOME
-vs-
"TOTAL PACKAGE"
LEX LUGER

FILTHY ANIMALS
[REY MYSTERIO JR, BILLY KIDMAN, AND KONNAN]
-vs-
TEAM CANADA
[LANCE STORM, ELIX SKIPPER, AND KID ROMEO]

KRONIK
[bRIAN ADAMS & BRYAN CLARK]
IN TAG TEAM ACTION
PREDITION KEY
BOOKER T -vs- SHANE DOUGLAS
WCW CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE: SHANE HELMS © -vs- JASON JETT
MIKE AWESOME -vs- LEX LUGER
FILTHY ANIMALS -vs- TEAM CANADA
KRONIK -vs- ???

BOOKER T -vs- SHANE DOUGLAS

- Although I see Douglas looking strong after his title win.

WCW CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE: SHANE HELMS © -vs- JASON JETT

MIKE AWESOME -vs- LEX LUGER

- predicting a DQ here unless you really wanna bury Luger.

FILTHY ANIMALS -vs- TEAM CANADA

KRONIK -vs- ???

I like the layout and the first show, but - I'm going to be that guy - it seems odd that the NBT breaking up and Palumbo & O'Haire's face turn has been erased, as well as the Magnificent Seven stable. The later were basically the dominant faction in WCW's final months.

Then again, if any company was going to totally ignore three months or more of storylines like that it would be WCW, so....

Archived