Surround sound system advice?

fusionfreak

I thought I'd come here and ask for advice since there's always someone or 10 on here that is nice and knowledgeable...

I want to get a surround sound system for my HDTV. I don't need one that comes with a dvd player because I have an xbox. I just need one with the amp and speakers. I'm looking for a good system that doesn't exceed the $200 mark. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Most of the sub-$400 ones seem to come with a DVD player built in to the receiver whether you want it or not. You always have the option of not hooking up the video line though if you're short on video inputs on your TV.

The audiophiles will scream at me for saying this, but the Sony BRAVIA DAV-DZ170 Home Theater System (just toss that into amazon or whatever your favorite store is) is an excellent entry-level home surround system. I probably wouldn't buy a package deal ever again, but that thing out performs some package systems that cost twice that. It's a good, reliable, and simple surround sound system to get you started.

Most of the sub-$400 ones seem to come with a DVD player built in to the receiver whether you want it or not. You always have the option of not hooking up the video line though if you're short on video inputs on your TV.

The audiophiles will scream at me for saying this, but the Sony BRAVIA DAV-DZ170 Home Theater System (just toss that into amazon or whatever your favorite store is) is an excellent entry-level home surround system. I probably wouldn't buy a package deal ever again, but that thing out performs some package systems that cost twice that. It's a good, reliable, and simple surround sound system to get you started.

Thank you for the advice. I'll take a look at that system.

Archived