D.O.T.T. - GLOW, as requested by D Boon's Ghost!

[COLOR=DarkRed]Okay, just finished my first month with GLOW, and said to D Boon's Ghost that I'd start posting quick summaries of the cards - these will be intentionally sketchy because I'm low on time, but will be fun to see what people think.[/COLOR] (Note: Have changed from a touring schedule to a regular one.) Highlights of the first month: A series of matches between title contenders Matilda the Hun, Tina Ferrair, and Spanish Red, ended with each of them winning one and losing one. (Coincidentally, all drew C- ratings.) This led to a four-way dance for the belt, with Tammy Jones retaining in a C match - the federation's best of the month, just ahead of Matilda's battle with Mountain Fuji. [COLOR=Blue]The real main event story, though, has been new signings Wendi Richter and Leilani Kai, who are drawing some attention to GLOW from outside of our normal fans - unfortunately, they're also close to bankrupting us on big contracts. Kai came in as a bitch, claiming no-one in GLOW had anywhere near the talent to hang with her. Richter promised to shut Leilani up, but Kai won her first few matches, including one in which she humiliated Little Fuji post-match, snapping a collar and leash on her and taking her for a walk around the ring - although Leilani disappeared quickly when Fuji's sister charged out for the save. Richter was getting seriously pissed by Kai's attitude, and snapped when the two finally got in the ring together in January's first big event, losing the match by DQ when she injured Kai, forcing her to be stretchered out. [/COLOR] In other major developments, bad girl team Hollywood and Vine have been on a losing streak. They dropped matches to the Beverly Hills Girls and Corporal Kelly & Attache, but still got the chance to challenge for the titles at the second big event of January. (Yes, I booked an extra one by accident!) Unfortunately for them, Hollywood accidentally nailed Vine when the two seemed to be in control, letting Susie Spirit roll her up for the win. Post-match, Vine reacted angrily, telling Hollywood that the team was finished! [COLOR=Blue]The other main storyline has been the winning streak of Palestina the Terrorist, who went over Sally the Farmer's Daughter, Little Feather, and Scarlett on the first 3 weekly shows, helped by beatdowns pre-match. Sally challenged her to a rematch last week, but lost that one too. Can anyone stop her?![/COLOR] Finally, the real failure so far has been the loss of Bull Nakano. The 17-year old, touted as a hot prospect for the future, was signed on New Year's Day, and worked dark matches against Olympia, Amy the Farmer's Daughter, Tina Ferrair, and Ebony, usually losing but putting up a good fight. However, with no one else who spoke Japanese in the company, she grew unhappy quickly, and despite my efforts to sign a companion for her, matters got worse. I finally brought on board legendary manager Hiro Matsuda, risking a big contract for him in the hope that teaming the two up would be a good long term investment. Unfortunately, on the day of his first show with us, Bull turned up late. Taking her to one side, I gave her a verbal warning for tardiness, leading her to protest that I was victimising her. Given the effect she was having on other people's morale, I felt I had no choice but to offer her the chance to leave the company, which she leapt at. [COLOR=Blue] With only half an hour of TV per week, it's also been hard to keep everyone on air as often as they want to be. Amy the Farmer's Daughter, Ashley Cartier, Bambi and Beastie are all very unhappy with the amount of shows they've been left off, while about half of the rest of the roster want to be used more. It may be time for a roster trim...[/COLOR]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not ashamed to admit that I watched GLOW growing up, and I will look forward to laughing out loud a few times as I read your results...I can completely picture Kai humiliating Little Fiji that way on the show. Quick question - do you use Aunt Kitty? SHe's got major entertainment skills, and with a written contract, you might as well take advantage of it.

Eskimo - Kitty's contract expires in 44 days, and I can't wait - I need to save money somewhere! But as you say, I might as well take advantage of her... um, I mean take advantage of the contract... so expect to see her on upcoming shows having her momentum killed in order to put over young (cheap!) up-and-comers!

News from elsewhere: All-Japan has put on 9 solid shows, mainly focusing around Jumbo Tsuruta, Giant Baba, and the gaijin trio of Stan Hansen, Bruiser Brody, and Terry Funk. Unfortunately, they've just lost their spot for TV show Puroresu Chukei, despite headlining their last two shows with epic battles for the title between Tsuruta and Funk (Jumbo winning the first one, then losing a non-title bout after Brody's interference.) Funk and Jumbo actually went at it 3 times, getting A ratings for each contest. Tsuruta is also half of the tag champions, he and Baba defending them twice this month, both times against Brody and Hansen. Atsushi Onita is still the International Junior Heavweight champion, defending on 7 of the 9 shows. The team of Ishikawa and Sato hold the All Asia tag titles, although they've only wrestled once this month. The big New Year Giant Series show was held a few days ago, and was generally well-received, with Jumbo's successful defence against Brody and Dory Funk Jr's defeat of Mil Mascaras vying for match of the night honours. They've released a bunch of workers. [COLOR=Blue]All-Star Wrestling, in the UK, have also had a clearout, getting rid of 5 guys, including Drew McDonald and Danny Boy Collins. They have picked up excellent worker Johnny Saint, although not in time for him to debut at the Slave to the Grind event. That show, before a sold out crowd of 300 at Whitchurch Civic Centre, was apparently the best there's been in the UK for some time, featuring Mark Rocco winning the ASWUK title from Marty Jones in a B+ match, and Cullen and Wright beating Dave Finlay and Skull Murphy in a contest for the tag team titles.[/COLOR] The American All-Star Wrestling, on the other hand, couldn't draw flies! Their total attendances for 5 shows were far below their British counterpart's for just the one. Their last 2 shows drew just a dozen people - although with contests like Oly Olsen vs Wojo the DC Hulk earlier in the month, it's not hard to figure out why not many came back! Buzz Tyler took the Canadian Heavyweight title from Rick Patterson in the month's first show, and has retained on all four of the rest - twice against Moondog Moretti, once as a result of a double count-out, and twice against Moose Morowski, one of them being match of the month (B-). Patterson has since beaten Oly Olsen to win the TV title.[COLOR=Blue] The AWA has consistently put on good shows, with the highlight being the end of the month show, headlined by Nick Bockwinkel defeating Hulk Hogan to retain his World Heavyweight title (B). Bockwinkel, the High Flyers, King Kong Brody, and Buck Zumhofe have all beaten all challengers for their respective titles.[/COLOR] More to come...

Stampede Wrestling, in Calgary, have put on 5 above-average shows, mainly due to Leo Burke carrying a variety of opponents to decent main events. The only show which he didn't headline saw Diana Hart's boyfriend, Davey Boy Smith, unsuccessfully take on Bad News Allen for the North American title - which Allen would lose to Diana's brother Bret at the following card. Bruce Hart is also a champion, having defeated 3 challengers for his British Commonwealth title, while Jim Neidhart and Mr Hito have defended their tag belts just once. [COLOR=Blue]Central State have also put on some good shows, after being given a major boost by the signings of Ricky Steamboat, Roddy Piper, and Dick Slater. Piper was brought in as Buck Robley's mystery challenger for the Super Destroyer's Heavyweight title. He failed to win that belt, but in his next match, defeated SD II for the National belt. The best 2 matches of the month both saw the Destroyer go up against Terry Funk (B+ and B), with Harley Race and Buzz Tyler also putting on a good contest (B.)[/COLOR] Memphis' up-and-coming CWA promotion has seen stars such as JJ Dillon, Angelo Poffo, Miss Linda, and Doug Gilbert be released. The month's shows haven't been stellar, with International champion Austin Idol's matches against Steve Keirn and Jerry Lawler being the only stand-out matches (B-.) Lawler has defended his own Southern Heavyweight title against the Spoiler, Ken Patera, and even Akeem and Dutch Mantell in a triangle match. Meanwhile, further down the card, Rick Rude and Randy Savage are embroiled in a hot feud. [COLOR=Blue] CWF have put on as many shows, of as high a quality, as anyone this month, with Jos Leduc dropping his Florida Heavyweight title to Dusty Rhodes midway through, on an excellent show on the Endless Beach Tour. That card featured no less than 4 B matches, including the title change, Bob Orton Jr defeating Kevin Sullivan, and Blackjack Mulligan going over Ron Bass. Since then, Rhodes has defended against Mulligan once, and Pak Song twice. Perhaps the most interesting development, though, is the formation of a new heel duo, Team Symphony - Jake Roberts and Black Bart. They've steamrolled over their first 3 opponents, and set their sights on Dusty and Mike Graham's tag team belts. Graham and Rhodes have the belts sewn up between them, with Mike beating Mark Lewin for the TV title last week. Unfortunately, they'll have to go the next 3 months without Jos Leduc - who's just been jailed for car theft.[/COLOR] In Mexico, the EMLL has seen few events of note. The exception was El Hijo De Santo's defeat of Eddie Guerrero to claim the Light Heavyweight title. They also seem to be making a push towards more of a tag team division, repackaging 8 guys into 4 duos. Santo and Black Cat have become Team Midnight, but the Subhuman Race - El Satanico and Mil Mascaras - are thought of as being the most promising new pairing, despite Mil's disdain for Satanico's normal cheating ways. El S is supposedly reforming now... will be interesting to see how long that lasts.[COLOR=Blue] There's also a new player in town - Eastern Championship Wrestling. The Tri-State organisation yesterday declared themselves open for business, although it's not known who's behind the federation.[/COLOR]

This is cool. Thanks a lot, Jaded. Unlike eskimo, I am ashamed to admit that I watched GLOW. Still... Teenaged Males + Little Fiji and Colonel Ninotchka = Ratings Gold! Hah. At least someone will get a use out of the 'Skit: Ask Tina' angle. :) I'm really not sure why you slagged your diary-style. I actually like it - the promotion capsules remind me of the old PWI blurbs.

Larry Zbysko and Buzz Sawyer burst onto the tag team scene in Georgia Championship Wrestling, defeating the Minnesota Wrecking Crew to win the belts in an excellent bout (B), their first ever as a team. A brutal beatdown of Ole and Arn followed, and the new champions declared themselves to be Team Terror. The big End of the Month Spectacular was the best show of January, headlined by two great main events, Zbysko going over Mr Wrestling II and Tommy Rich retaining his National Heavyweight title against Buzz Sawyer (both B.) Les Thornton and Ronnie Garvin have both been active, defending their belts succesfully. [COLOR=Blue] Montreal's IWA picked up a big signing when they brought in manager Paul Ellering. Ellering wasted no time in putting together a tag team called the Insane Connection, the hated brawlers Michel Dubois and Giles Poisson. Their first match saw them take on the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers, beating them for the tag titles. Their second outing was an outstanding rematch with the brothers (B), losing by DQ when they used steel chairs on their opponents. Poisson was also involved in the best match at the fed's Times of War show, beating Rick Martel (B), and had earlier won the TV title from Jacques. The Canadian company's shows have been going well all month, and they closed with a mild upset, as Rick Martel defeated Raymond for the World title.[/COLOR] The UK's Joint Promotions has received acclaim for a bunch of good shows, most notably Back in the Saddle - which featured the third in an excellent series of contests between Johnny Saint and Kendo Nagasaki, with Saint retaining the Light Heavyweight title once again (although Kendo would no doubt claim that the trio of matches softened Saint up enough for him to lose to Jackie Pallo the following week, just before Saint left for ASWUK.) Pallo had previously dropped the Mid-Heavyweight belt to Marty Jones, who held it just two weeks before Bobby Barnes took it from him. The Amazing Kung Fu has been a fighting champion, beating off Steve Grey, Mark McCoy, and Clive Myers (twice) to hold onto his British Lightweight title. The Caribbean Sunshine Boys, on the other hand, have been active but probably can't really be described as fighting champions - they've taken part in 6 matches, winning 3 but getting themselves intentionally counted out in the other 3. Jon Cortez and Peter Roberts, now calling themselves Blackout, were one of the teams who looked set to win the belts until Bond and Kincaid ran for it - and they're seriously irked at the duo. [COLOR=Blue]Canada's MLW has picked up more new stars than anyone, making huge waves by signing Jack Brisco, Ric Flair, Bobby Heenan and Jesse Ventura. Flair and Mike Sharpe have been thrown together, as Full Force, while Ventura and Private Jim Nelson are becoming an incredibly popular team under the name the Avengers. These two teams, with champions the Fabulous Rougeaus thrown into the mix, look set to give the tag division a huge boost, while Jack Brisco's loss to Ray Rougeau (B) is already being talked about as a match of the year contender for the fed. The big winner, though, has been the Sheik, defeating Tony Parisi for the Wrestling Spirit title, then Bobo Brazil for the Canadian Heavyweight belt in 2 weeks. [/COLOR] The most prestigious fed in America is still Jim Crockett Jr's MACW. Larry Zbysko and Dick Murdoch have been added to an already stellar roster, and they've put on a host of great shows. The best of these, in the Baltimore Arena, saw over 7,500 fans turn up to watch an incredible main event, as Ric Flair retained the World title against Harley Race (A.) Sgt Slaughter vs Roddy Piper (B+), Jack Brisco successfully defending the Mid-Atlantic belt against Ivan Koloff, and Greg Valentine holding onto his US Heavyweight title against Jay Youngblood (both B) could all have been matches of the night on another night. The rematch between Flair and Race a week later was just as good as the original match, and so was Flair's final defense of the month, against Sgt Slaughter. Race/Steamboat and Flair's DQ loss to Slaughter rounded off the fed's top 5 matches of the month. (All A.) Greg Valetine, Jack Brisco, and Rufus & Bugsy McGraw have all retained their belts despite facing numerous challengers this month.

[QUOTE=D. Boon's Ghost]This is cool. Thanks a lot, Jaded. Unlike eskimo, I am ashamed to admit that I watched GLOW. Still... Teenaged Males + Little Fiji and Colonel Ninotchka = Ratings Gold! Hah. At least someone will get a use out of the 'Skit: Ask Tina' angle. :) I'm really not sure why you slagged your diary-style. I actually like it - the promotion capsules remind me of the old PWI blurbs.[/QUOTE] Boon, it was more a comment on the amount of time I last doing it than the style! Glad you like it, and will try and keep going for a while, at least - I'm having fun checking out all the other feds, while I try and work out who to sack from GLOW!

[QUOTE=Jaded]The only show which he didn't headline saw Stu Hart's son-in-law, Davey Boy Smith (Was he married to Diana yet? Can't find the date they got wed anywhere!) [/QUOTE] Davey Boy Smith married Diana Hart on October 7, 1984. Information courtesy of the fantastic new book "Pain and Passion - The History of Stampede Wrestling" published by CanWest Books. I can't recommend this book enough! And nice info in this dynasty!

[COLOR=Blue]Mid-South have had a quiet month, the only title change seeing JYD and Mr Wrestling II beating Jim Duggan and Magnum TA for the tag belts. Krusher Khruschev and Butch Reed are still singles champs. Most surprisingly, they've released manager Jim Cornette.[/COLOR] NJPW have had a major roster clearout, and also lost their slot for TV show World Pro Wrestling. They did put on one show which featured 6 B matches, plus a B+ main event. That main was Fujinami beating Riki Choshu to keep the WWF International title, while other good matches on the show included Tiger Mask defeating Dynamite Kid to retain the WWF Junior Heavyweight belt, and Hulk Hogan going over Andre the Giant. Hogan would go on to win the belt, defeating Yoshiaki Yatsu for the vacant title after Fujinami suffered a major concussion, expected to keep him out of the ring for the rest of the year. The month's shows have been booked mainly around the Mask/Kid and Hogan/Andre feuds, much to the disappointment of many of the Japanese wrestlers at the large role given to 3 gaijin. The tag team belts and World Heavyweight title are vacant. [COLOR=Blue] The Pacific Northwest promotion saw second-generation superstar Dean Malenko take the Top Contender title in his first match of the month, beating Harley Davidson. He would retain against everyone he faced, while Davidson took the TV title from Art Crews. In a third title change, Rip Oliver dropped his Heavyweight belt to Dean Ho. [/COLOR] Peter Maivia's PPW put on one show, notable only for the number of wrestlers being the same as the number of fans - 12! The Samoan Swat Team retained the tag titles against Ipo and Afi, the 17-year old Rodney Anoa'i couldn't quite get the Pacific belt from Lars Anderson in the only passable match (C-), but John Tenta had more luck against the Warlord, taking his National title from him in what's being talked about as possibly the worst match ever seen. (Although apparently 8 fans used it as a bathroom break, 3 fell asleep, and one was blinded by Anoa'i messing around with salt as he prepared for his match, so there's some dispute over whether it WAS seen.) [COLOR=Blue] SECW had a better month than PPW. Admittedly, kids wrestling in their bedrooms had better months than PPW, so that's not saying much. They drew around the 250 mark for 3 of their shows, although 2 had less than 50 fans there. The one with 33 fans DID come just after Tonga Kid and Boris Zhukov stunk up the previous week's main event, though. Bob Armstrong, Tonga Kid, and Mr Olympia still champs.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]Moving back to federations with talent, it's SWCW. The big story here has been the Blanchard/Slater feud, with Dick challenging for Tully's Heavyweight title at the start of the month, then teaming with Manny Fernandez to go after the Dynamic Duo's tag belts - he was unsuccessful both times, but they were damn good matches. (Both B.) Further down the card, Tiger Conway Jr beat Eric Embry for the Junior Heavyweight belt. [/COLOR] Back in Mexico, the UWA, just like the EMLL, saw lots of new teams forged, the most interesting perhaps being Total Eclipse - Dr Wagner Jr and Doink the Clown. What, Laughter is the Best Medicine didn't work for them?! They've surprisingly released Rey Misterio and La Parka. Putting on almost a show every other day this month, the fed has consistently drawn good crowds of around the 2000 mark, with the in-ring action being solid - especially matches featuring former Middleweight champion Villano III, who recently lost the title to Canek, or new Junior Lightweight champ Perry Aguayo, who beat Gran Apache for the belt. [COLOR=Blue]No major changes in Fritz Von Erich's WCCW promotion - his sons David and Kevin continue to hold the Texas and American Heavyweight titles, respectively, while the family's feud with tag champions the Fabulous Freebirds is ongoing, producing some of the company's best matches. Interestingly, Michael Hayes was somewhat critical of Kerry Von Erich during a recent radio interview.[/COLOR] Carlos Colon's WWC has seen frequent defending of all the belts, although with Carlos and tag partner Pedro Morales holding the tag titles and the top two singles matches, it's unsurprising that none have changed hands. Bob Sweetan, the Puerto Rican champion, is the other titleholder. In fairness, Colon has pulled off B matches against Abdullah the Butcher, Medic #1, and Bruiser Brody, while Morales has done the same taking on Hercules Ayala twice. [COLOR=Blue] Finally, Vince McMahon's WWF has released Pat Patterson, Howard Finkel, and Buddy Rogers. Those left have done well, though - Bob Backlund putting on very good matches defending his title against Ray Stevens (B twice), Tony Atlas, George Steele and Big John Studd. Morales also holds the I-C belt there, despite the efforts of Studd to take it away from him. Strongbows are tag champs, having defended only twice - against Chung Lee both times, once with Goulet and once with Fuji. Current big feuds are Andre vs Jay Strongbow, Morales vs Studd, Bruno Sammartino vs Mr Fuji, Don Muraco vs Jimmy Snuka, and Frankie Williams vs SD Jones vs David Sammartino - sure to produce a classic triple threat match at Wrestlemania!![/COLOR]

Boon - or anyone - HELP! Lost my TV show (again, details later, probably just before my rant on talent-stealing bloody bingo halls), any thoughts on whether I should go for weekly events or stick to monthly? Have very few written contracts (think there's only Kitty Burke, who won't be around for much longer.)

Gah... I haven't formed many strategies to running a small promotion, but from everything I've read, it's best to stick with monthly - at least until you can sign on with some podunk television network. If you can afford it, I might go biweekly. And stick with the South West until you die trying, advance booking everything you can. That 15% increase in fans for your former show was a really good sign, imo. The network may have kicked you off, but you at least proved you can get an increase of fan interest towards the promotion. If you can get to the point where they South West is making you money, head straight to the Tri-State area. The casual base there is the biggest in the U.S.. Who have you let go so far? I'm looking at the start up on them, and it looks bleak. As painful as it might be, you might have to run a lot of those $100 a night GLOW girls (er... that doesn't sound too pimpish! ;) ). Anyone getting more than that needs to seriously be studied. Amy the Farmer's Daughter, for example - $500 a night is crazy, especially to an unskilled Lower Midcarder. She's got good looks and reasonable entertainment skills, but that's an awful lot of money for someone so low on the roster. If all else fails, bump them up with another 300 grand, or so. I really think I undercut them too much by starting them off at $150,000. McClane had his tentacles in a lot of wallets for that initial funding. Even with his hopeless bumbling, he managed to keep it afloat for a couple of years. For the next update, I bumped them up to $450,000 to start off - so it's not really cheating! :)

[COLOR=Red]Thanks for the advice, guys - will see how monthly goes for the moment, and try advance booking a lot more.[/COLOR] First February show, with big changes ahead... [COLOR=Blue]Miss Kitty returned to start the show off. She said she knew that the crowd had missed her, but not to worry, because there'd be plenty of opportunities to check her out when she was managing the new tag team champions - Attache and Cpl Kelly. The team came out and started to taunt the current champions, the Cheerleaders. (C-)[/COLOR] Little Fiji hosted a bikini contest between Tammy Jones and Matilda the Hun. To her delight, Matilda got the win, unleashing the black chainmail again. She then challenged Tammy to a match for the title, saying that GLOW deserved the best - and hottest - woman on the roster as a champion. Tammy accepted. (C+) [COLOR=Blue]As Matilda and Tammy left the ring to prepare for their match, Palestina the Terrorist - scheduled to face Fuji next - came through the crowd to attack her. She was joined by Vine, but as the two beatdown Fiji, Vine's former partner Hollywood ran out for the save, then challenged Palestina to a match right here. (E, real letdown from the previous segment.)[/COLOR] Vine interfered in the match between Palestina and Hollywood, helping the Terrorist win. (C+) [COLOR=Blue]The Cheerleaders came down to the ring and challenged the team of Attache and Kelly to a match. (C-)[/COLOR] After Kitty interfered, her team took the tag belts from the Cheerleaders. (C-) [COLOR=Blue]Tammy and Matilda fought for the GLOW title, with Tammy defending succesfully. (C) The pair have good chemistry.[/COLOR] Post match, Matilda spat some kind of vampiric mist into Tammy's eyes, leaving her down clutching her face as we went off the air. (C+) [COLOR=Blue]Final rating C, show should have improved our popularity.[/COLOR] Matsuda, Tara, Tina Ferrair, and Amy the Farmer's Daughter have all accepted releases from the company, as creative has nothing for them at the moment (and they're hideously overpaid!) [COLOR=Blue] Unfortunately, despite drawing 586 viewers, TV Cable West have given up on us - pulling the plug on our show. What are we gonna do now?! Monthly or biweekly events beckon... but worse news is to come![/COLOR]

Big news is that ECW have found an owner - Louise Brooks - and are negotiating with a head booker - Dee Booher. Yeah, like I care about that. [COLOR=Red]I really, REALLY wish I knew more about GLOW sometimes...[/COLOR] A few days later, Dee Booher accepts the job. Can anyone guess what Matilda the Hun's real name is? I think my screams can be heard in Alaska... [COLOR=Red]Still, on we go, for Tilly's last stand. Let's get some use out of her.[/COLOR] The first show of the non-televised era... GLOW on Tour (Feb) [COLOR=Blue]We start off with a ringside beatdown. The Cheerleaders, Debbie Debutante and Susie Spirit, are signing autographs for the fans, when tag champions Attache and Corporal Kelly, along with their manager Miss Kitty, pop up and attack them. Attache is now playing Kelly's servant. (C-)[/COLOR] Hollywood comes out to challenge former tag partner Vine. Before doing so, she shoots T-shirts into the crowd. (A) (I realise it's a bizarre thing to do before making a heated challenge, but she's on $1000 a night, and I'm getting every last drop of value out of her! [COLOR=Blue]The challenge is a let-down, because obviously GLOW fans would rather see someone shoot T-shirts than the same person talk about wrestling. Looking at Hollywood, I'm not sure I blame them. (D)[/COLOR] Vine beats Hollywood by count-out, Hollywood ending up KO'd outside the ring. (D.) Worryingly for this feud, the pair don't click. [COLOR=Blue]Montgomery Van hosts a bikini contest, between Matilda the Hun, Tammy Jones, and Mt Fuji. Matilda, busting out a special RED chainmail number for the occasion, gets another win. (C+)[/COLOR] The Cheerleaders come out and challenge Kelly and Attache to a match next month. (C-) [COLOR=Blue]The Cheerleaders beat the Heavy Metal Sisters. (D)[/COLOR] Kelly, Attache, and Kitty come out to accept the challenge. However, they want a stip added - if they win, the Cheerleaders are their valets for a day. (C-) [COLOR=Blue]Wendi Richter goes over Mt Fuji (C-)[/COLOR] Tammy Jones beats Matilda in an overbooked match, which sees Vine attack Tammy, then Fuji come in for the save.(C) [COLOR=Blue]Matilda is furious at Fuji for costing her the title, and challenges her to a match right now. In fact, she's so desperate to get her hands on the Mountain, that she'll put her career on the line! (C+)[/COLOR] Fuji easily beats Matilda, ending her GLOW career. (C-) [COLOR=Blue]Matilda bursts into tears at the loss of her job. Tammy comes out to celebrate with Fuji, and the pair decide that since Matilda's such a crybaby, she may as well look like one. They force her into an oversized diaper, to the delight of the crowd. (C) - that'll teach her to walk out on me!![/COLOR] Fuji ends the show by giving Tammy a friendship gift of a watch. However, as soon as it's presented to her, Beastie charges out and smashes it up, laughing maniacally. (C-) [COLOR=Blue]C- show, another success. Especially in terms of getting value for money out of Matilda's last night.[/COLOR] Still, where the hell do we go without her?! [COLOR=Blue]Not to worry, there's always Mount Fu...[/COLOR] [B]E-mail: Emily Dole suffered a knee injury last night, which will keep her out for 6 months. [/B] [COLOR=Red]I'm sure we can all guess who Emily bloody Dole is, yeah? I knew putting her in 2 matches was a bad idea![/COLOR] Meanwhile, Bambi and Sally the Farmer's Daughter have developed a friendship, possibly over exchanging views on just how bad a boss I am - I can't remember the last time either of them was used. Not to worry, at the rate things are going, they'll be the only people left soon!

Time for our monthly roundup of the best of the rest... [COLOR=Blue]AJPW is still heavily centred on Baba/Jumbo vs the 3 gaijin. They've put on 5 very good shows, with the most notable matches being 2 successful title defenses by Jumbo against Terry Funk, and a tag team title change when Terry and Stan Hansen beat Baba and Jumbo (all A.) Meanwhile, Dory Funk Jr has had a change of heart, throwing his lot in with the Japanese wrestlers, and is currently feuding with Bruiser Brody. The other title change of the month has seen Mitsuo Momota defeat Atsushi Onita for the Junior Heavyweight belt, then make 3 successful defences.[/COLOR] In the UK, All-Star Wrestling have again put on just one show - Death Beckons. And if the slump between shows continues to be this notable, it surely does. Somehow, they decided to give Johnny Kidd a belt, putting him over Rick Wiseman in an awful bout for the European Middleweight title (E.) Johnny Saint did an impressive job putting over Mal Sanders (B), but the less said about the rest of the show, the better. Promising youngsters Johnny Smith and Steven Regal have augmented the tag ranks, though, calling themselves Team Slaughter. [COLOR=Blue] Canada's All Star Wrestling has had a relatively successful month, with even their worst attended show seeing 13 diehards turn up. They even pulled in 37 one week! However, Wojo's push shows no sign of abating, with him even getting a title shot - Rick Patterson carried him to his best ever match (E.) Patterson went on to lose the belt to Oly Olsen. Buzz Tyler's successful defence of the Canadian Heavyweight title against Moose Morowski deserves special mention, for being the only thing all month that didn't suck (B-.) He was rewarded by dropping the belt to Moondog Moretti 2 weeks later. Spotting a pattern here? Carrying big lugs to better than expected matches doesn't do much for your hopes of holding on to a title... Olsen took on Terry Adonis on the month's last card, in a match notable for being even worse than Bob Brown vs Wojo (Both F.)[/COLOR] AWA's All-Star Wrestling kicked off the month with a main event of King Kong Brody vs Hulk Hogan. Unfortunately, it was the only TV main of February - the show was cancelled a few days later. The big end of the month show saw Mad Dog Vachon take the World title from Nick Bockwinkel in a good match (B), and the Hennigs main event, losing to the Body and the Bruiser (C+) Buck Zumhofe vs Steve Regal is hotting up as a feud, Zumhofe barely squeaking out a victory of Steve to retain his Light Heavyweight belt for the second month running. Meanwhile, Brody is in a battle with popular face Rick Martel which looks set to run for a while. [COLOR=Blue]Stampede looks in a good position to build on their popularity, keeping their TV show when all around were losing theirs. Not as good a month as the previous one, but the Mongolian Stomper has had 2 good matches, one against Mr Hito, and the other, a surprisingly decent bout when he took on the Loch Ness Monster (Both B-.)[/COLOR]

Central State kicked off the month with a bang, as Ox Baker defeated Super Destroyer to win the Heavyweight title. They then went on to put on a great Bulldog's Last Stand show, headlined by Ox defending against Harley Race, but with Dick Slater's victory over Terry Funk stealing the show (B+.) The occassional team of Super Destroyer II and Porkchop Cash is currently embroiled in a big feud with the Oates Brothers. [COLOR=Blue]Memphis' CWA has also lost it's TV slot, halfway through the month. Even the Fabulous Ones weren't fabulous enough to keep them on the air. Match of the month here saw Lawler go over Austin Idol in a good bout (B-), but nothing else reached that level, and the Mid-South Coliseum show failed to live up to expectations, with Norvell Austin vs Rick Rude being especially bad (E.)[/COLOR] CWF has had perhaps the best month of any fed, not just holding on to their TV show, but making a huge acquisition in Bob Backlund, who's won 4 of his first 5 matches. They've also put on very good shows, mainly based around a big Blackjack Mulligan vs Dusty Rhodes series. Mulligan took Rhodes Florida Heavyweight belt at the start of the month, and Rhodes hasn't been able to win it back - but Dusty and Mike Graham have held off Mulligan and Lwwin's attempts to win their tag team titles. Some of the month's standout matches have included Ron Bass beating Bob Orton Jr, Mulligan defending his belt successfully against Bass, and a trio of matches between Mulligan/Lewin and Rhodes/Graham (B.) However, the best two have undoubtedly been Blackjack's first defences of the title, in which he twice edged past Dusty (B+.) [COLOR=Blue]Despite the slump in North America, Mexico seems to be faring better - with the EMLL picking up a PPV deal, provisionally set to start at June's Ruleta de la Muerte event. Shows this month saw Fantasma defeat El Hijo del Santo for the Light Heavyweight belt, some good lucha action, and Dr Wagner in a pair of very good bouts, losing to Lizmark and then to Fishman (Both B.) Impressively, they've sold out 5,000 seat arenas for every show.[/COLOR] Talent-Stealing Bingo Hall Promotions... I mean ECW... has also put together an impressive roster, most of whom they've taken from better federations. Despite having Randy Savage, Kevin Sullivan, Austin Idol, Jules Strongbow, the Spoiler, Scott Irwin, Tony Anthony, and legendary booker Sam Mushnick on the books, they're yet to put on a show. With a bit of luck, they'll go out of business before the end of March.

Georgia Championship Wrestling have also lost their TV slot, despite a good main event of Tommy Rich vs Buzz Sawyer in the month's only show (B.) They're currently coming off a huge buzz from their End of the Month Spectacular, though, with 3 excellent matches - Orndorff going over Bob Armstrong, Sawyer beating Mr Wrestling II, and Rich seeing off Larry Zbysko's title challenge (All B.) [COLOR=Blue]International Wrestling are another company who no longer have TV exposure. They're apparently pinning their hopes on Pierre Lefebvre turning his new tag partner, Doug Furnas, into a star. The duo are called Desperate Measures, and the Montreal fed probably needs some. Their shows are still looking good though, and Martel may be an excellent choice as champion - he had a great fight with Ray Rougeau at Genocide (B+.) [/COLOR] Better news from the UK, as Joint Promotions put on a fairly successful first PPV! Passion for Pain, headlined by Jackie Pallo beating Kendo Nagasaki in a really good match (B), drew nearly 6,000 buys. Pallo/Nagasaki is the major feud, providing 2 more B matches and 2 B+, closely followed by Blackout's attempt to dethrone the CSB - who've lost 5 in a row to Roberts and Cortez, all by countout. Brian Maxine is the new Mid-Heavyweight champion, beating Bobby Barnes for it at the start of the month, then successfully beating off a host of challengers. [COLOR=Blue]Canada's MLW has seen another new team form, Pampero Firpo and Bobo Brazil - Rough and Tumble. Little else of interest has happened, although Jack Brisco's put on 2 very good matches, losing to Ray Rougeau and the Shiek (Both B)[/COLOR] MACW has bucked the trend in America by getting a PPV deal - their first major show, Superstars on the Superstation, saw Flair main event, beating Harley Race, and an excellent contest lower down the card, Greg Valentine defeating Ricky Steamboat (Both A.) Flair and Race's feud has been incredible this month, wrestling in 4 A rated matches, while they've also been excellent in tag action, Jack Brisco and Flair beating Wahoo McDaniel and Harley in the month's last main event (A.) Valentine vs Angelo Mosca Jr is the other big feud in the fed.

Mid-South... ummm, well, another fed, another lost TV spot! Matt Borne and Ted DiBiase are carrying the fed at the moment, pulling off the best match of the month, against Magnum TA and Mr Wrestling II. [COLOR=Blue]NJPW has also got itself a PPV deal - proof that outside of North America, the wrestling biz is still strong. Hulk Hogan has moved into a feud with Riki Choshu, who he's dominated this month (2 B+ matches and 2 Bs), while Tiger Mask has retained his Junior belt. [/COLOR] Pacific Northwest is one of the only American feds which seems to be on the upswing this month. They made the decision to move the Top Contender title from Dean Malenko to Kendo Nagasaki at the start of February, but it was Dean Ho who the booking centred around, as he beat Rip Oliver and Jules Strongbow (both B-), and went to a double count-out with Buddy Rose (B), in the fed's best 3 matches. [COLOR=Blue]As for PPW... it's apparently family friendly. The family in question must be the Anoa'is, because I doubt any other can force themselves to watch it. They added more than 8% to their attendance from last time around - one guy dragged his kid sister along. Unfortunately, she fell asleep during the time-limit draw between Man Mountain Mike and Rodney Anoa'i, and he had to take her home. Yes, Lars Anderson booked MMM and rookie Rodney to go fifteen minutes. This is believed to have been part of a scientific experiment, because the crowd were fairly sure they'd stopped time during this bout. The guy should be grateful to his sister - in taking her home, he missed Fatu's bout with John Tenta, just as bad. In fact, with Tugboat Fred vs Farmer Boy Ipo, and Larry Anoa'i vs the Warlord opening things up, it's probably safe to say that this was the worst card in the history of the universe. Even if 20 years or so from now, a bunch of washed-up guys with a collection of drink problems put on a show called Heroes of Wrestling, it STILL won't suck this badly (4 F's.) Lars' defeat of Rocky Johnson in the main event seemed like Flair/Race compared to the rest of this shower (C-.)[/COLOR] SECW, in common with half of North America, lost its TV spot. This may be because Boris Zhukov is still in the main event picture, jobbing to Bob Armstrong on the final edition of their show. Armstrong's defeat of Mr Olympia in a good bout at SECW on Tour! was one of the few bright spots of the month (B-.)

Archived