CHAMPION VS. CHAMPION

Roger Cage vs. The Masked Mauler

Steve Flash vs. Black Hat Bailey

NUMBER ONE CONTENDERS MATCH

Masked Stranger vs. The New York Doll vs. Sammy the Shark vs. Ricky Turner

Whistler vs. Monty Trescarde

The Atlantic Connection vs. The Ring Generals

GANG WAR ACTION

Geoff Borne & The Southern Star vs. The Five Points Mafia (Honest Frank, Rick Sanders & Monty Trescarde)

Kip Keenan vs. Andrew Harper

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p>CHAMPION VS. CHAMPION</p><p>

<strong>Roger Cage</strong> vs. The Masked Mauler</p><p>

I agree with Regis again that you don't want one champion to look inferior to the other so Mauler won't lose cleanly. I think it is more likely that The Five Point Mafia attack Roger Cage resulting in the DQ. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Steve Flash</strong> vs. Black Hat Bailey</p><p>

This was the hardest match for me to choose a side on. But I am going to go with Steve Flash here. Bailey has no value at the top of the card despite being a big name. He can't wrestle the 20-30 minute matches that Flash still can. I expect Bailey to beat up on the undercard and be pretty much someone to help put the higher up guys over.</p><p> </p><p>

NUMBER ONE CONTENDERS MATCH</p><p>

Masked Stranger vs. The New York Doll vs. <strong>Sammy the Shark</strong> vs. Ricky Turner</p><p>

I love NYD but he's not ready for a main event spot. Masked Stranger will be in the Tri-State Regional Division. So this comes down to Shark & Turner. I think Shark will win here but 5 Point Mafia to ruin the title match which will lead to Shark Cage & ??? vs. The Five Point Mafia. Hopefully the third man is my favorite, Bulldozer Brandon Smith.</p><p> </p><p>

Whistler vs. <strong>Monty Trescarde</strong></p><p>

Whistler's an NYCW legend so I wouldn't be surprised if you give him the win out of respect. But Trescarde is one of NYCW's rising stars. I think he goes 2-0 on the night.</p><p> </p><p>

The Atlantic Connection vs. <strong>The Ring Generals</strong></p><p>

Have to cement their Heel turns with some type of victory. They only loss by DQ last month but it won't look good on their record to be 0-2 if they have serious championship aspirations.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

GANG WAR ACTION</p><p>

Geoff Borne & The Southern Star vs. <strong>The Five Points Mafia (Honest Frank, Rick Sanders & Monty Trescarde)</strong></p><p>

The Five Point Mafia will more than likely be your top group and I doubt Frank will ever lose to a team with Geoff Borne on it. I fully expect them to be in the main event at Gang Wars so this will build to it.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Kip Keenan </strong>vs. Andrew Harper</p><p>

Regis said it best when he said, JOBBER. Harper is Enhancement Talent in NYCW and while you don't know what you'll do with Keenan, he is above Harper on the pecking order.</p><p>

</p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

I have a question will your main event at Gang Wars be a normal elimination match? I usually do a War Games type match in the main event each year, just to separate it from the under-card six man matches.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="mrallan" data-cite="mrallan" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="36006" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> I have a question will your main event at Gang Wars be a normal elimination match? I usually do a War Games type match in the main event each year, just to separate it from the under-card six man matches.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I was going to do a straight six-man (insofar as I'd planned anything for Gang Wars, which I really hadn't), but I like your War Games idea more so I'll probably do that. </p><p> </p><p> Anyway, show will be going up tomorrow sometime (probably afternoon, as I'm not missing Doctor Who for ANYTHING), so here's the fan question, this time coming from Voeltzwagon:</p><p> </p><p> <strong>For Rick Sanders:</strong> You just had a major win the past show. That must put you in the lead for a shot at Roger Cage. Do you think you are the one that can finally dethrone the champ?</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Rick Sanders:</strong> Let me put it this way: will I be the one that holds the belt next? No. The Five Points Mafia have a plan in place, and I'm not the one leading the running. But when Cage loses that belt, it will be because of me. I'm the guy who will cost him that belt, and there's nothing he can do about it</p>

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><span style="font-size:36px;">NYCW Big Apple Breakdown</span></strong></p><p><strong>

</strong><strong><span style="font-size:24px;">Live to DVD from The Ministry</span></strong></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:24px;">

Saturday, Week 4, February</span></strong></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:24px;">

Audience: 877</span></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><span style="font-size:18px;">The Show</span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Kip Keenan vs. Andrew Harper</strong></p><p>

This wasn't a great match, but given that neither man is exactly the finished article I can more or less deal with it. The main issue was, of course, psychology; it wasn't a huge drag, given this was a six-minute squash match, but you could tell that neither man really had a handle on how to give the match the right flow. It’s also worth pointing out that the crowd weren't really fans of Andrew Harper- booing is one thing when you’re working heel, but the apathy they gave him here really hurt the match. Still, they’ll get behind him once he improves, and it’s worth pointing out that he and Double K have good chemistry, which is worth bearing in mind for when we need a decent quality filler match down the line. It’s also worth noting that the crowd bought into Kip’s Patriot gimmick in a big way, although given the fact that his gear’s red, white and blue and covered in stars that’s probably not a surprise. He took the win here, nailing Harper with the Belly to Belly Suplex to score a comparatively easy pinfall.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Kip Keenan <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">E+</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

It’s promo time, as Frank’s on hand to hype up the main event</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">“I’ve known Mauler a long time in this business, he’s been an ally and a part of my Five Points Mafia for a few years now, so believe me Roger when I tell you that this is one of the greatest challenges you've ever faced. I mean, I'm not saying you can’t win tonight- a lot of people are, but I'm honest not one of them. No, what I'm saying is that Mauler can match your A-game on a slow night, and tonight will not be a slow night for him. So, Rog, good luck tonight, I've got a feeling you’re gonna need it”</span></p><p> </p><p>

The original idea of the Five Points Mafia was so that Frank could cover for the likes of Mauler and Trescarde on the mic, and whilst the results weren't amazing they still did the job.</p><p>

<strong>Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Geoff Borne & The Southern Stars vs. The Five Points Mafia</strong></p><p>

This was a solid match, given the limitations of everyone involved. Rick’s another one whose body isn’t in top condition, and when you factor in Tennessee and Monty’s psychology issues and Geoff’s lack of overness you can see why this was never going to be a classic. Given those limitations, though, it wasn’t at all bad; the Stars held their side together with their usual solid tag work, and whilst the Mafia don’t have that same experience they’re still very effective heels and combined well in the cheating and villainy stakes. It’s also worth pointing out that both Frank and Monty improved their performance skills, which is heartening to see, particularly from a veteran like Frank- if he can continue to improve at his age then it sets a good example to our youngsters. As for the finish, this one went to the heels after Dean Waldorf made a run-in and nailed him with a baseball bat to the kidneys, allowing Frank and Rick to team up and keep Tennessee busy at ringside whilst Monty nailed Geoff with the Cash Bonus and grabbed a handful of tights to ensure the fall went through.</p><p>

<strong>Winners:</strong> The Five Points Mafia <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Atlantic Connection vs. The Ring Generals</strong></p><p>

This was a good match, and bodes well for the future of the tag division as Riley and CJ are the logical next contenders if the Generals take the titles off the Stars. It was also the debut for Dean’s new Machine gimmick, which went over really well, as indeed did The Atlantic Connection’s whiter-than-white-hat fan favourite characters (Marv needs to wait a little longer before changing his gimmick so I’m playing him a bit more conflicted, still trying to be a good guy even as he cheats to win- it doesn’t really work but it could be worse). Another major plus point was that the Connection not only have experience but good chemistry as partners, which gives everything they do that extra bit of polish and finesse. When you combine that with the fact that the Generals have teamed together all their careers you get a masterclass in tag-team wrestling as both teams broke out the blind tags and double-team offence in the name of entertainment. Princess Haley, also making her debut tonight, was vastly entertaining, immediately getting her over High Society character with some magnificently snobby behaviour whilst she cheered Dean on. In the end it was Marv who got the win here- after getting beaten down for most of the match CJ was able to tag Riley in, only for Dean to hotshot him into the Ring Generals turnbuckle and tag in Marv for the Squared Circle Assault.</p><p>

<strong>Winners:</strong> The Ring Generals <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Monty Trescarde vs. Whistler</strong></p><p>

This was another decent match, and whilst I could tell Whistler wasn’t happy with the way this was booked he did the decent thing and gave it his all. Okay, so that’s not an awful lot these days, but the important thing is that he did his best, and have Monty a much better platform to work from. As for Trescarde, he didn’t show any ill effects from having already worked a match tonight- part of the reason I put him in this slot- and his usual issues with psychology weren’t so evident here with a veteran opponent to guide him through the script Vessey had put together. It wasn’t an altogether perfect encounter, though; Monty didn’t really learn a huge amount, and he does need to improve quite a bit if he wants to get close to the Tri-State title anytime soon. He took the win here, though, distracting the ref by sliding a chair into the ring before using his briefcase to nail Whistler over the head to secure the pin.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Monty Trescarde <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

It’s promo time again, and this time it’s the turn of Sammy the Shark</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#4169E1;">“Hey there guys and dolls, it’s your old buddy The Space Cowboy, Sammy the Shark here, and tonight I’ve got me one doozy of a match. See, everyone knows Honest Frank and the Five Points Mafia are gunning for my pal Roger Cage and his Empire title, and from where I’m standing, four on two are not good odds. So here’s what I’m planning; The Masked Mauler, he’s the Tri-State Regional Champion, and I’m in a number one contender’s bout. So, what the Gangster of Love is planning is, if I make a real play for that title then Mauler’s got to break off and deal with me, and that gives Rog way better chances. Smart? Maybe not, but hey, I’m feeling lucky. Question is, Ricky, Stranger, Doll, you really wanna swim with The Shark? You’re gonna get bit”</span></p><p> </p><p>

This wasn’t bad, but we need the next few matches to kick things up a notch if this show is going to deliver up to last month’s standard.</p><p>

<strong>Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Masked Stranger vs. The New York Doll vs. Sammy the Shark vs. Ricky Turner</strong></p><p>

This got us back on track a bit- it was still a fairly standard match, but after a few below-average efforts this will hopefully get us back in gear and we can end the night on a bit more of a high. It helped, I think, that all four of these guys are rock-solid midcard guys; sure, they’re not awesomely charismatic or in-ring geniuses, but they can get the job done every single time without any fuss or problems. That’s not to say they’re all perfect- Stranger came down with a case of debut nerves that threw his game off a bit, and Sammy wasn’t at his most consistent either- but on the whole it worked out, and Doll in particular made a real effort to improve his performance skills. As for the finish, we went with Sammy after the usual chain of finishers scenario; Doll hit the Discus Punch on Sammy, only for Stranger to sink in the Cobra Clutch before he could follow up. Before Doll submitted, though, Turner jumped Stranger from behind and dropped him with a knee to the back before locking in the Boston Crab, only for a recovered Sammy to break the hold with the Ace in the Hole and hook the leg to secure the fall.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Sammy the Shark <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

No sooner has the bell rung than Mauler’s out from backstage, looking to lay a beatdown on his newest challenger. Sammy holds him off at first with a volley of punches, but whilst he’s preoccupied with Mauler Rick Sanders and Honest Frank circle round and jump him from behind. Sammy does his best, but Frank’s Brass Knuckles come into play and Sammy soon goes down.</p><p>

<strong>Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">E</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Steve Flash vs. Black Hat Bailey</strong></p><p>

Okay, we have got to do something about our main event; this was right back down into first gear after the Tri-State title match. The problem is quite simply that none of our older guys can go for long enough to handle a 20-minute match-Bailey in particular was just dying out there, and Steve was struggling too, especially with his knees playing up. I can see that we’re going to have to really look at our main event if we’re going to last; Rog, Frank and Steve can all more or less go, but Bailey’s on the way out and Mauler and Rick are too involved in the midcard at the moment to really serve as top stars. On the plus side, whilst the main event isn’t up to par it’s not bad as such; my main issue is that one of the step-up in match quality. The matches are okay for our size, but putting two of our big stars together should mean a jump in match quality and this one was the same as the rest of the card, and it hasn’t been a great evening for us. Steve took the win here, taking Bailey down with the Flash Bang</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Steve Flash <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

It’s promo time, and Roger Cage is on hand to hype the main event</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">“Y’know, Mauler, you’ve got a real reputation in NYCW. Five Points Mafia, Tri-State Champion, and one of the toughest hombres in the business. Now, I don’t deny that you’re gonna be a challenge, and don’t think I appreciated what you did to Sammy earlier, but here’s the thing- Honest Frank, your boss in the Five points, he’s gonna be watching- heck, he might even be at ringside tonight, just to cheer you on I’m sure, no ill intent or anything like that. So Frank? Wherever you stand tonight, I want you to watch what happens. You might just learn something”</span></p><p> </p><p>

Roger can always be relied upon to save the show with his mic work</p><p>

<strong>Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">C-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Roger Cage vs. The Masked Mauler</strong></p><p>

This wasn’t as good as Rog/Frank from last month, but it was still main-event level and given that the rest of the card’s been a bit off the boil I’m just happy this one was up to standard. With the balancing of the rosters Mauler’s moved towards the main event, and on the basis of tonight he definitely deserves it- no nerves, no panic, just good, solid wrestling and a positive presence backstage to help balance out the boss a bit (and whoever replaces Whistler, as it looks like most of the guys I have in mind are definite members of the @sshole squad). As for Roger, he’s definitely our current MVP but suffers from a paucity of credible challengers at the moment; with Bailey struggling to keep up and Mauler and Rick stooging for Frank there’s no immediate number two heel to come into that slot, and Bailey’s influence backstage makes me reluctant to let him go before his contract comes up. That’s also the problem I’ve got with Mauler’s Tri-State title run; there’s a few solid faces in the midcard that could go for the belt, but Mauler’s status as one of our top names makes getting the belt off him without derailing his push very difficult. The feud with Sammy might just give me a way out, but New York’s still in transition at the moment and I don’t want to damage that with a title run that doesn’t work out. Returning to this match, though, Roger took the win, luring Mauler in close enough to try for the Iron Claw before reversing it into the Cage Rage</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Roger Cage <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D+</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

After the match is over Roger is celebrating when Rick Sanders enters the ring, trying to jump him from behind. Roger sees him coming and quickly drives him off, but once again Frank’s used the opportunity to sneak around the ring and nails Rog in the back of the head with the Brass Knuckles. Cage goes down like the proverbial sack of potatoes and The Five Points Mafia are quick to put the boot in, leaving the champ laid out.</p><p>

<strong>Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">E+</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Overall Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:24px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D+</span></span></em>, somehow.</p>

<p>Sorry for the lack of updates folks- real life and wonky health have slowed down my work on this a little. Anyway, let's take a look at the predictions</p><p> </p><p>

ohiodevil: 5/7</p><p>

Occasional_Z: 5/7</p><p>

Voeltzwagon: 7/7</p><p>

Tiberious4: 5/7</p><p>

ClassDunce: 5/7</p><p>

Midnightnick: 6/7</p><p>

Regis: 6/7</p><p>

CageRage: 7/7</p><p>

mrallan: 7/7</p><p> </p><p>

A high scoring round this, as is often the case- my booking is often fairly predictable, although at least that's because it's (mostly) logical. Anyways, Voeltzwagon, CageRage and mrallan all get a fan question this time, to go up in the 24-hour(ish) bump before the next show.</p><p> </p><p>

Next update will be sometime early next week, probably monday or tuesday.</p>

“Okay, that’s settled, tell Rick we’ll up his appearance fee but he’s got to expect us to cut his downside what with the economy being in the toilet. And if Whistler calls, tell him I’m out”

Ever since he realised he was being jobbed out the door Whistler had become a royal pain in the @ss to deal with, so I was avoiding him like the plague.

“Carpenter you p*ss-ant son-of-a-b*tch, we need to talk!”

Unfortunately avoiding Larry was proving a far more difficult task, not least because he tended to treat my office as a public thoroughfare regardless of shut (or indeed locked) doors and secretarial protestations.

“What is it Larry? Budget issues, or are you just here to make your usual demands that I’m going to ignore anyway”

“You know Ross, I could always fire you”

“You could, but why should I care? I don't need this job Larry, I didn't even ask for this job. You wanted me, so frankly any threats about tossing me out just aren't gonna take, okay? You need me to stop you driving the talent out of this company with your stinking attitude, so no more threats, alright?”

It was only after I shut my mouth that I remembered just how contrary Larry can be. Push him too far and Larry won't just cut off his nose to spite his face, he'll rip his face off and turn it into a hat.

“Actually, smart alec, I want a word about the contracts you've been sending out. You really offered Rock Downpour the full package?”

“Creative control, hiring veto and wage matching? Yes, I did. He’s an announcer, what’s he going to control? As for wage matching and hiring veto, he has no enemies and I've got no plans to bring in a second announcer so it seemed like a good way of bringing his price down. That a problem now?”

“No wage matching. I’ve seen what that can do to companies, and I’m not having it in New York”

“He’s an announcer, Larry, who in h*ll is he gonna match?! Come on, this is ridiculous”

“No Wage Matching. One guy gets it, everyone else starts wanting it, and I'm not having you running our bank account down because you're paying everyone Roger Cage money”

For once Larry actually had a point, and besides he was starting look even more murderous than usual- time to back down and let him have this one.

“Okay, you're right. I'll pull the wage matching from the deal and see what he asks for. Now, anything else or can I make you leave?”

“One more thing- Whistler’s replacement, who you looking at?”

“Right now I'm not sure- there’s a few options out there, it’s a matter of deciding which one’s best placed to come in, how they’ll stack up and where they fit on the card.”

“There’s always…”

“Not Cameron, Larry. Maybe later, but he’s a better heel than face and I don’t want to bring him without knowing how we'll use him”

Which was all true, as far as it went. What I didn’t say as that I didn't want Cameron coming in until I was properly established backstage. Cameron was okay, word was that he was nothing on his father, but chances are he'd be Larry’s man through and through and I wasn't going to let myself get pushed around by anyone.

“Thing is, we've got ‘Dozer, who let’s face it is a hell of a worker, and I'm thinking he’s the natural pick to take over from Whistler in that slot…”

“He doesn't have the name value we need. Listen Carpenter, we need someone who can sell tickets and still go- ‘Dozer’s got one but not the other”

“Fair enough, I can see that. Way I figure it then, we've got four choices: Matt Keith, Nelson Callum, Kirk Jameson and Findley O’Farraday”

“Keith’s out- he’s touring Japan at the moment and I've never met a rookie who came back from Japan without an ego. Besides, he’s working PSW and I don't want people making the connection”

“Fair enough, that rules out Callum as well. That leaves us with Farraday and Jameson- I'm thinking Jameson, he’s Puerto Rico and that’s a ways off the beaten track, plus he’s another mat wrestler, might work better with Bailey than Steve has done.”

“Okay, Jameson it is.”

“Glad you agree. Now get out of here Larry, I need time to put together the March card okay?”

Most hilarious news of the month: Invincible Pro Wrestling has declared war on the SWF. Sure, Gil, that’s *completely* not going to end badly for you…

TCW have also hit a rocky patch this month; they've fallen to Cult, with rumours of cuts at the lower end of the roster. They're all either way out of our price range or the wrong style for us, though, so with a couple of exceptions I don’t think it’s of any real use to us. It’s worth pointing out, however, that with USPW having dropped to Cult earlier in the year Supreme are at the top of the heap by a considerable margin.

Card for NYCW Manhattan Mêlée

Shark Cage vs. Old School Principals

Kirk Jameson vs. Honest Frank

Marv Statler vs. Tennnesee William

Dean Waldorf vs. Animal Harker

The Atlantic Connection vs. The Boys from the Yukon

10 MAN BATTLE ROYAL- WINNER RECEIVES A TITLE SHOT OF THEIR CHOOSING

Bulldozer Brandon Smith vs. Steve Flash vs. Masked Stranger vs. Kip Keenan vs. Geoff Borne vs. Andrew Harper vs. Black Hat Bailey vs. Monty Trescarde vs. Ricky Turner vs. The New York Doll

Card for NYCW Manhattan Mêlée

Bulldozer Brandon Smith vs. Steve Flash vs. Masked Stranger vs. Kip Keenan vs. Geoff Borne vs. Andrew Harper vs. Black Hat Bailey vs. Monty Trescarde vs. Ricky Turner vs. The New York Doll

They will cheat.

If you're gonna job, job to the best.

One wins...

The other loses.

Because they are TERRIBLE.

Let's take a gamble here.

No way are Mauler and Sanders going over the champ's team

Jameson's ok, but Frank is more over at this point - tainted win to save face

I wouldn't job the Generals out here, they're much better than their opponents - again, tainted wins will help the Stars save face

Face team wins - the Generals will need new opponents at some point

I'll play safe

Two things here; firstly, I'd encourage everyone to get over to the DOTM threads and vote for your favourites.

Secondly, sorry that the show hasn't gone up yet, life's been busier than expected and it hasn't given me much time to post. Show will go up tomorrow lunchtime-ish, barring unforeseen circumstances.

NYCW Manhattan Mêlée

Live to DVD from The Ministry

Saturday, Week 4, March

Audience: 884

The Show

10-Man Battle Royal

I’m going to have to take a look at extending our shows or adjusting our match times; once I’d put together enough matches to fill our usual two hour running time we still had enough workers left over to put this together. Mind you, we got a better match out of this than I think we’d have gotten from 90% of these workers individually, and it did a good job of getting the crowd warmed up for the evening so I’m not too worried about it.

As for the story, this one went the way of all battle royals in that it was basically a combination of rugby scrum and brawl. Steve scored the first elimination of the evening, catching The New York Doll’s attempt at a lariat and taking him with him over the top rope- Steve was able to land on the apron, Doll wasn’t so lucky. After that though Steve struggled, as Bailey led Ricky Turner and Andrew Harper in laying a beatdown on his current foe whilst Monty tipped Geoff Borne over the top rope and Kip and Stranger double-teamed ‘Dozer. Steve went over the rope a couple of times, but managed to hang onto the apron, whilst Monty broke up Kip and Stranger’s attempts to eliminate Smith with a double low blow before trying an elimination of his own on Double K. Kip wasn’t going anywhere, though, and ‘Dozer evened the odds for Steve by eliminating Harper. He was followed by Keenan and Turner, who were too caught up brawling on the ropes to notice Monty tipping them both out until it was too late. For a while it looked like Monty might join them, as Stranger lifted him over the top rope, but Bailey shoved Stranger over behind him and Monty was able to land on the apron.

That left four men in the match; Monty, who had managed the most eliminations thus far; Steve, Bailey and Bulldozer Brandon Smith. Monty was the next to go, courtesy of one of Steve’s trademark dropkicks (he doesn’t bust them out as much now, thanks to his knees, but they’re the best in the business), before Bailey escaped Dozer with an eye-rake and chop-blocked Steve’s legs out from under him. With that in mind, and no matter how hard he fought, Steve was never going to be able to hold on long, and after a couple of minutes he followed Monty over the ropes. That left Bailey and ‘Dozer as the final two, and despite his considerable cunning Bailey was unable to resist the bigger man, eventually being dropped over courtesy of a round of thunderous lariats and a big shoulder tackle.

Winner: Bulldozer Brandon Smith Match Rating: D+

It’s promo time, and my first chance to get on the mic as I hype up Marv’s match with Tennessee William

“Let’s be honest here, Tennessee: who the heck are you, really? I mean, you got lucky once, and that’s great, it really is, but let’s face it, luck can’t save you every time. This guy, Marv Statler, he’s one half of the greatest tag team in the business, and I oughta know with the number of teams I’ve managed in my time. So tonight, it’s not gonna end well for ya. Sorry, but you shoulda’ known what you were getting into”

We’ve re-jigged the way we do promo’s now- we pre-record them and play them into the arena on a screen. It de-emphasises star power in favour of raw entertainment skills, and mine were good enough to lift this a bit.

Rating: D

Marv Statler vs. Tennessee William

This match wasn’t horrendous, given the level these two are at on the card, but it’s clear that there are problems with these two as solo workers. Marv’s problem is comparatively simple; he switched gimmicks only a few months before I booked the heel turn, and whilst he makes the idea of a heel who doesn’t like what he does but will do it for success work far better than it has any real right to, the simple truth is that our fans don’t buy into it. As for Tennessee his problems are rather simpler; he’s still improving as a worker, and right now he doesn’t have the psychology to handle a match this length. Clearly the match timings are something I’m going to have to look at much more closely- I think with a few shorter match-ups we could maybe get the overall quality up, and shorter match times would mean more opportunity to get workers on the card. As for these two, their problems will be resolved in (and by) time, and for now they’re delivering up to more or less standard so what does it matter? Finish-wise, this one went to Marv, who was able to hit Tennessee with the Slingshot Suplex before going for the pin.

Winner: Marv Statler Match Rating: D-

Yeah, it’s official; when the Boys’ contracts come up, they’re history (I’ll probably use that to prune the face half of the roster as well; we’re a little overstaffed at the moment). This wasn’t a good match, and the fault for that has to lie with Mort and Whittaker. Okay, so I suppose it wasn’t appreciably worse than Statler/William, but those are two flawed singles workers, whereas the Boys are a reasonably experienced tag team going up against an experienced, talented pair of workers who also have good chemistry on their side. Okay, so Riley and CJ have their problems too- they’re neither of them especially consistent, for one- but on the whole, they’re a talented pair of workers, and once I’ve got heel champs in the tag division then the Atlantics are first in line for a shot (even ahead of the Stars- Harker and Tennessee are good, but they need to drop down the line a bit before they're ready for another title run). Given that one of these teams is heading for a title shot and the other for the unemployment line, you can guess who won; CJ, with the STO.

Winners: The Atlantic Connection Match Rating: D-

It’s promo time again, as we hear from Princess Haley ahead of Dean’s match

“When my father bought Dean Waldorf’s contract for me, I knew that I was in possession of a champion’s contract. Oh, he may not hold that belt just yet, but there’s no chance, no chance all, that The Ring Generals will fail to win those tag team titles once more. It’s an inevitability, because Princess Haley always gets her way”

Given that Haley has literally no name value at all, this wasn’t bad- hopefully as her name value increases she’ll get better reactions

Rating: E

This was a good, solid bout that delivered exactly what was expected of it. Okay, so Waldorf had a bit of an off-night, but he’s a good competitor and even when he’s off form (which I put down to his still figuring out how to interact with Haley) he can deliver a really solid bout. Speaking of Haley, she did good work at ringside- our fans don’t quite buy into her High Society gimmick (largely because she’s quite clearly from Kansas) but she plays it to the hilt and does a good job, all things considered. As for Harker, he’s one of those guys every indy company with an eye to the long-term need; talented and reliable, but not so much so that the big leagues are likely to try and steal him away from us. As for finish, this one balanced out their partners’ bout from early, with Harker taking the win via Stump Piledriver (which, can I just say, looks rubbish- I’ll talk to him about changing it after the show).

Winner: Animal Harker Match Rating: D

It’s promo time once again, as Frank is on hand to hype his match with Kirk Jameson

“Before we start, I’d just like to say welcome to New York, Mr. Jameson, it’s good to see you. A lot of people, they say Puerto Rico’s a dump, they say nothing good ever came outta there except the women, but me, I say give you a chance. Sure, you’re up against one of the best, and sure you haven’t got even half my experience in the ring, but hey, maybe you’ll get lucky, right? Don’t worry though, kid, I’ll see you right

“After all…Would I Lie To You?”

Another Frank promo, another solid reaction- really, what do you expect by now?

Rating: D+

This was a great match, as you would expect from a talented young guy like Kirk and a veteran like Frank. Kirk in particular is poised to take over from Steve when he retires- he’s got the talent, fundamentals and personality to back that up, and unlike Steve he’s actually got the charisma to back it all up (though his mic skills aren't great). As for Frank, he’s one of the few veterans we've got whose body hasn't yet started to fail on him, and whilst I wouldn't put him up there with Steve even then he’s still one of our best, and his underhanded tactics and brawling offence made for a good contrast with the all-business Jameson. That was really the whole story of the match- Frank tried to throw fists and play games with Jameson, but the younger worker kept a cool head and focussed on his technical offence, eventually getting Frank on the mat and sinking in the Kirk-Hold (Koji Clutch). Frank looked like he was about to tap out, but he managed to get one arm free and broke the hold by pulling on Kirk’s hair ‘til he had to release. Then he pulled out one of his classic plays, ‘accidentally’ hitting Michael with a slow-moving forearm before grabbing the Brass Knuckles and knocking Kirk’s lights out.

Winner: Honest Frank Match Rating: C-

It’s promo time once again, as Rog and Sammy are on hype duty for the main event

“Hey there guys and dolls, it’s ‘The Gangster of Love’ Sammy T. Shark here, right alongside my good buddy Roger Cage…”

“Yo”

“And tonight, we’ve got one heck of a match, up against Old School Principals”

“That’s right Sammy. Mauler, Roger, you’ve been around this business and you’ve seen, well, more than me and Sammy have…”

“At least when we’re sober”

“That’s right, and you’ve held championship gold a whole bunch of times. So, yeah, ain’t nobody gonna take you lightly, not unless they’re real stupid. Me and Sammy, though, we’re not stupid, we’ve been around a while, and I figure we ain’t gonna be so easy to roll right over as you might expect. So tonight, boys, you be ready for a fight, ‘cos that’s what we always bring, right Sammy?”

“Heck yeah, Rog. Old School Principals, you’re locked in the Shark Cage, now you’re gonna get bit”

These two are both good talkers, and the reactions they get are always good

Rating: D+

This was a really good match, which you’d expect from four of our top workers who are so experienced as teams. As Ernie pointed out on commentary, these teams have between them held the tag team titles five separate times, and that experience showed in the quick tags and tag-team offense they pulled out. As for the individuals, Mauler may be the one grabbing the headlines in the Principals (and with good reason) but Rick’s another guy who deserves to make the main event; he’s got the technical skill and fundamentals to deliver at a high level, and whilst he doesn’t have the charisma to handle his own promo’s that’s nothing we can’t work around. As for the faces, Roger’s in dire need of stronger competition at the top of the card, and it’s debatable whether or not Sammy deserves to be so close to the main event, but they’re both talented workers and deliver good results for us. This time, however, the heels took it; Sammy and Roger had finally gotten on the front foot having been beaten down for most of the match, only for Frank to interfere and take out Cage at ringside with a steel chair to the skull. Sammy, the legal man, still managed to hold out and even nailed Mauler with The Ace in the Hole, but Frank distracted the referee whilst Rick broke the fall and nailed Sammy with his trademark kick to the crotch. By the time Michael had turned back to the match Sammy was down and Mauler had the pin secured, getting the win for the heels.

Winners: Old School Principals Match Rating: C-

Overall Rating: C-, stepping up a level from usual. The big question is, can we maintain it next month?

Right, let's take a look at the predictions, shall we?

Voeltzwagon: 6/6

Midnightnick: 2/6

JShmoopy: 3/6

Regis: 6/6

Occasional_Z: 3/6

Rickymex: 0/6- I'm guessing that Frank/Kirk was meant to be a draw

Anyway, Voeltzwagon and Regis get fan questions this time, as do CageRage and mrallan from last time if they're around.

Anyway, no idea at all when the next post will go up, but it should be soon(ish, like in the next week or so...)

<p>If there was some kind of award for the quietest month in wrestling, April would definitely win it. After an eventful start to the year, with Grimm SoCal Wrestling yo-yoing about at the bottom of the ladder and USPW and TCW slipping down to cult, April was almost completely becalmed. Sure, stuff did happen- companies ran shows, wrestlers were signed or retired, all the usual guff- but as for anything actually worth commenting on, nope, nothing. </p><p> </p><p>

***</p><p> </p><p>

Card for NYCW The Battle of the Bronx:</p><p> </p><p>

FOR THE NYCW EMPIRE TITLE</p><p>

Roger Cage © vs. Rick Sanders</p><p> </p><p>

Masked Stranger vs. Honest Frank</p><p> </p><p>

FOR THE NYCW TRI-STATE REGIONAL TITLE</p><p>

Sammy the Shark vs. The Masked Mauler © vs. Bulldozer Brandon Smith vs. Rick Turner</p><p> </p><p>

FOR THE NYCW TAG TEAM TITLES</p><p>

The Southern Stars © vs. Black Hat Bailey & The New York Doll</p><p> </p><p>

GANG WAR</p><p>

Steve Flash, Kirk Jameson & Curtis Jenkins vs. Andrew Harper & The Boys From the Yukon</p><p> </p><p>

Riley McManus vs. Monty Trescarde</p><p> </p><p>

The Ring Generals vs. Kip Keenan & Geoff Borne</p>

<p>FOR THE NYCW EMPIRE TITLE</p><p>

<strong>Roger Cage © </strong>vs. Rick Sanders</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Masked Stranger </strong>vs. Honest Frank</p><p> </p><p>

Sammy the Shark vs. The Masked Mauler © vs. <strong>Bulldozer Brandon Smith </strong>vs. Rick Turner</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Southern Stars ©</strong> vs. Black Hat Bailey & The New York Doll</p><p> </p><p>

GANG WAR</p><p>

<strong>Steve Flash, Kirk Jameson & Curtis Jenkins</strong> vs. Andrew Harper & The Boys From the Yukon</p><p> </p><p>

Riley McManus vs. <strong>Monty Trescarde</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Ring Generals</strong> vs. Kip Keenan & Geoff Borne</p>

<p>FOR THE NYCW EMPIRE TITLE</p><p>

<strong>Roger Cage © </strong>vs. Roger Cage</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Masked Stranger </strong>vs. Honest Frank</p><p> </p><p>

Sammy the Shark vs. The Masked Mauler © vs. <strong>Bulldozer Brandon Smith</strong> vs. Rick Turner</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Southern Stars © </strong>vs. Black Hat Bailey & The New York Doll</p><p> </p><p>

GANG WAR</p><p>

<strong>Steve Flash, Kirk Jameson & Curtis Jenkins</strong> vs. Andrew Harper & The Boys From the Yukon</p><p> </p><p>

Riley McManus vs. <strong>Monty Trescarde</strong></p><p> </p><p>

The Ring Generals vs. <strong>Kip Keenan & Geoff Borne</strong></p>

Archived