NYCW: No School Like Old School

FOR THE NYCW EMPIRE TITLE

Roger Cage © vs. Roger Cage

Masked Stranger vs. Honest Frank

FOR THE NYCW TRI-STATE REGIONAL TITLE

Sammy the Shark vs. The Masked Mauler © vs. Bulldozer Brandon Smith vs. Rick Turner

FOR THE NYCW TAG TEAM TITLES

The Southern Stars © vs. Black Hat Bailey & The New York Doll

GANG WAR

Steve Flash, Kirk Jameson & Curtis Jenkins vs. Andrew Harper & The Boys From the Yukon

Riley McManus vs. Monty Trescarde

The Ring Generals vs. Kip Keenan & Geoff Borne

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Regis" data-cite="Regis" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="36006" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>My God! Roger Cage is wrestling himself?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Well, he is good enough, certainly. But that should actually read Rick Sanders, so I'll go back and edit it.</p>

<p>FOR THE NYCW EMPIRE TITLE</p><p>

<strong>Roger Cage</strong> © vs. Rick Sanders</p><p> </p><p>

Masked Stranger vs. <strong>Honest Frank</strong></p><p> </p><p>

FOR THE NYCW TRI-STATE REGIONAL TITLE</p><p>

Sammy the Shark vs. <strong>The Masked Mauler </strong>© vs. Bulldozer Brandon Smith vs. Rick Turner</p><p> </p><p>

FOR THE NYCW TAG TEAM TITLES</p><p>

<strong>The Southern Stars </strong>© vs. Black Hat Bailey & The New York Doll</p><p> </p><p>

GANG WAR</p><p>

<strong>Steve Flash, Kirk Jameson & Curtis Jenkins</strong> vs. Andrew Harper & The Boys From the Yukon</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Riley McManus </strong>vs. Monty Trescarde</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Ring Generals</strong> vs. Kip Keenan & Geoff Borne</p>

<strong>Roger Cage</strong> © vs. Rick Sanders</p><p> </p><p>

Masked Stranger vs. <strong>Honest Frank</strong></p><p> </p><p>

FOR THE NYCW TRI-STATE REGIONAL TITLE</p><p>

Sammy the Shark vs. <strong>The Masked Mauler</strong> © vs. Bulldozer Brandon Smith vs. Rick Turner</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Southern Stars</strong> © vs. Black Hat Bailey & The New York Doll</p><p> </p><p>

GANG WAR</p><p>

<strong>Steve Flash, Kirk Jameson & Curtis Jenkins</strong> vs. Andrew Harper & The Boys From the Yukon</p><p> </p><p>

Riley McManus vs. <strong>Monty Trescarde</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Ring Generals</strong> vs. Kip Keenan & Geoff Borne</p><p> </p><p>

One question I've been meaning to ask for a while - how did you not lose Roger Cage? I started two NYCW games and Roger Cage is gone after the first event both times (taken by SWF).</p>

Roger Cage © vs. Rick Sanders

Sanders is underated in singles, but he ain't going over

Sammy the Shark vs. The Masked Mauler © vs. Bulldozer Brandon Smith vs. Rick Turner

Bulldozer is the man in this game

GANG WAR

Steve Flash, Kirk Jameson & Curtis Jenkins vs. Andrew Harper & The Boys From the Yukon

Roger Cage © vs. Rick Sanders

GANG WAR

<p>Show will be going up tomorrow-ish (so probably Friday, going on usual form). 'Til then, though, here's the fan questions to tide you over, starting with this one from Regis:</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Question for Kirk Jameson:</strong> "How does it feel to be working the true home of Old School at last?"</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Kirk:</strong> When I first arrived, it felt pretty good- NYCW's one of the oldest companies in the world, and some of the finest stars in the world have wrestled in their ring. But now, seeing what's going on around here- well, let's just say it's good to be here, but there's a lot of work to be done.</p><p> </p><p>

This one, meanwhile, comes from Voeltzwagon:</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Question for The Atlantic Connection:</strong> "After being in MAW for so many years is there a big difference between working for them and working for NYCW?"</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Curtis:</strong> Bearing in mind all the times we wrestled The Awesomeness or C-V-2, not a huge bunch- people still keep trying to drop us on our heads.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Riley:</strong> On a more serious note, the big difference is in the nature of the competition. MAW's full of young, hungry guys trying to prove themselves; everyone's trying to stand out, but that doesn't always lead to great strategy. In NYCW you're part of an elite company with a lot of history, everyone here is an established star wrestler. The competition is just that bit more savvy, and it's a whole different kind of challenge.</p>

<div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><span style="font-size:36px;">NYCW The Battle of the Bronx</span></strong></p><p><strong>

</strong><strong><span style="font-size:24px;">Live to DVD from The Ministry</span></strong></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:24px;">

Saturday, Week 4, April</span></strong></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:24px;">

Audience: 775</span></strong></p></div><p></p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><span style="font-size:18px;">The Show</span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Steve Flash, Kirk Jameson & Curtis Jenkins vs. Andrew Harper & The Boys From the Yukon</strong></p><p>

This is Whittaker and Mort’s last match with us; Whittaker’s contract is coming up, and they’ve decidedly not impressed me so they’re out of here. Harper, on the other hand, has a much better chance of staying- it’s true that the crowd don’t much like him, largely because he’s fairly dull as a worker, but he’s got potential and hasn’t delivered any real stinkers thus far. To be fair, that may simply be due to the fact that he’s a jobber and not expected to do anything major, but that still doesn’t reflect well on the Boys from the Yukon; as a secondary heel tag team, they’re required to deliver matches of a certain quality and be ready to serve as challengers for the titles, neither of which Mort and Whittaker are capable of. </p><p> </p><p>

On the face side, though, things were a lot better; all of these guys have key roles to play in the future, with Kirk in particular looking very promising as a star-in-the-making. As for Steve, we’re broadening his character from an Old School Face to a much simpler Fan Favourite, which is going across much better. That’s going to be a recurring theme of the night- quite a few of our more established stars have gimmicks that don’t quite fit, so I’m rejigging them to see if that can help sort some of the creative issues we’ve been having. </p><p> </p><p>

As for this match, though, it was a fairly straightforward squash match that served to illustrate all three of the faces’ movesets. Steve got the win, downing Mort with the Flash Bang.</p><p>

<strong>Winners:</strong> Steve Flash, Kirk Jameson & Curtis Jenkins <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Ring Generals vs. Geoff Borne & Kip Keenan</strong></p><p>

This was another quick squash match, although I don’t know if it really should have been; yes, Geoff is undenabiably a jobber (and an expensive one, at that) but Kip’s status is a bit more ambiguous and I maybe should have had this go a bit longer. Regardless, it was decent little match that helped warm the crowd up for the night ahead, and whilst there were no major improvements to be remarked upon that’s not really a big deal for these four. Well, maybe Kip, whose psychology remains in dire need of improvement, but on the whole all of these guys can get the job done in the ring. I might look at putting Haley in charge of The Ring Generals altogether and move on from here- I’m not entirely sure what I’ll do otherwise, but there’s lots of places I could put myself, and if nothing else being appointed commissioner or something would give us a change of pace. It’s also worth pointing out that as the Generals are the number one contenders they need the best possible manager, and I’m quite willing to admit that Haley’s better than I am. As number one contenders, it was the Generals who got the win here, Waldorf taking Geoff out with the Waldorf Salad Toss.</p><p>

<strong>Winners:</strong> The Ring Generals <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

It’s promo time, as Tennessee and Harker are on hype duty for the tag title match</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#4B0082;">“You know folks, ever since me and the Bip Bopper Animal Harker got our hands on these sweet sweet tag team title belts every cat in New York’s come out of the woodwork trying to win ‘em off of us. Tonight we’re up against New York Doll and Black Hat Bailey, two real tough dudes with real bad ‘tudes. No two ways about it, this one’s gonna be tough, but me and Harker, we ain’t going down smooth and easy, we’re gonna fight every step of the way, right Animal?”</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#A0522D;">“ANIMAL SMASH PUNY HUMANS!”</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#4B0082;">“Thank you very much Big man, let’s rock and roll on outta here”</span></p><p> </p><p>

Tennessee’s charisma and Animal’s sheer bulk make for an effective pair on the mic.</p><p>

<strong>Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Southern Stars vs. Black Hat Bailey & The New York Doll</strong></p><p>

This one was a good match, moving things up a notch from the opening squash matches. It also gave us a chance to debut some new gimmicks- Harker, for instance, has moved on from his mawkish Simpleton gimmick to something a bit different, emphasising his wrestling-fan-made-good background in addition to his usual turnbuckle-eating craziness; Bailey’s the other big change, as he’s now playing more of a bullying character, which maybe isn’t that much of a change but went over pretty well. Story-wise, we played it the usual way, with the faces making the early ground before the heels took control, isolating Tennessee and trying to work him over. William wasn’t so easy to capture as all that, and after Doll made the mistake of trying to take Harker out in the corner and wound up eating a headbutt it was easy for the Rhinestone Rocker to tag in his partner, who went to work. Headbutts were thrown, turnbuckles were eaten and a right good time was had by all except the heels, who were too busy getting their @sses kicked. Harker tagged William back in to set up for The South Shall Rise Again, but it was at that point that Dean Waldorf made his presence felt, coming out through the crowd and trying to take Tennessee out. William was too clever, though, dodging out of the way and causing Waldorf to accidentally hit the Doll; he then hit Dean with the Devil’s Crossroad before calling for The South shall Rise Again once more. This time it went off without a hitch, securing victory for the champions. </p><p>

<strong>Winners:</strong> The Southern Stars <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

It’s promo time, as we hear from Sammy the Shark ahead of the Tri-State match</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#4169E1;">“Y’know, Mauler, other people might think you and me had a problem. Truth is though, I’m not that hot over you. Sure, you’re Five Points Mafia, you’re intent on getting the Empire Title off my buddy Roger Cage and round the waist of your boss Honest Frank, but other than that I’m pretty much okay with you. This, this is all about running interference for Roger, trying to pull you away from the rest of the gang and pick you off. And if I can take the Tri-State title back for, what, the third, fourth time? That’ll be just fine”</span></p><p> </p><p>

The Sammy/Mauler feud isn’t really working as its own beast, so I’m gradually phasing it out and incorporating their issue into the Frank/Roger feud.</p><p>

<strong>Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

From there we cross-fade to ‘Dozer, also on hype duty for the Tri-State match</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#006400;">“I don’t want to sound rude, Mauler, but I want my belt back. Truth is, you took that belt off of me by cheating, slamming my head into that turnbuckle so hard I was seein’ stars and then grabbing a handful of tights to make sure I stayed down. So tonight is all about revenge- even if I don’t get that title back, I’m gonna put you through a war you ain’t never seen before.”</span></p><p> </p><p>

‘Dozer’s one of those guys, like Masked Stranger, who would benefit hugely from having a heel champion at the top to work with- he’s really above the Tri-State scene. Still, his last title run gives him a stake in this match.</p><p>

<strong>Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D+</span></span></em> </p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Sammy the Shark vs. The Masked Mauler vs. Bulldozer Brandon Smith vs. Ricky Turner</strong></p><p>

There are some guys you can always count on to deliver a good match; Mauler and ‘Dozer definitely that, Ricky might be but needs a few extra matches before we can figure it out, and Sammy will be one when he improves a bit. With that in mind, the fact that this was one of the best matches we’ve ever had was hardly a surprise; Mauler in particular is rapidly becoming one of our top stars, and ‘Dozer’s all set to follow him up there once we can sort out the imbalance at the top of the card. As for the others, I’ve got Ricky pencilled in for midcard anchorman going forward- he’s actually my preferred choice for the next Tri-State champion- and Sammy’s kind of in a holding pattern at the moment. He’s improved as much as anyone else on the roster, and his alliance with Rog makes him a natural upper-card guy, but we’re overstocked with top faces at the moment and Sammy’s probably the most obvious choice to drop down the card a bit. In any case, it’s still a bit soon for Mauler to drop the belt, so he managed to secure the victory here with a roll-up on Sammy after Turner and ‘Dozer took each other down with simultaneous clotheslines.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> The Masked Mauler <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D+</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Monty Trescarde vs. Riley McManus</strong></p><p>

In many ways, Monty’s the obvious answer to the problem of the overbalanced top end of the card; he’s talented, reliable and a reasonably nice person to deal with backstage. He’s not without problems- his entertainment skills aren’t good and his psychology really needs to improve if he’s going to make a real go of it at the top of the card- but it’s more a question of building on what’s there rather than having to develop a whole new set of skills for him. As for Riley, he’s undoubtedly the stronger half of the Atlantic Connection and could probably handle a protracted singles run, but the Connection is too strong a tag team to split up, especially with the division undergoing the same kind of transition as the rest of the roster. With that in mind Monty got the win here, catching Riley with the Cash Bonus to secure the pin.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Monty Trescarde <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

It’s promo time, as Frank’s on hand to hype up his match with Masked Stranger</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">“It’s fair to say that you haven’t had a great year, Stranger. Out west you’ve really struggled to pick up a win, and here in New York it’s the same story- 2 big matches, 0 big wins. Hopefully that’ll turn around for you, kid, and hey, maybe tonight’s gonna be that night. After all, taking on a three-time Empire champ is the biggest opportunity you’ve ever had, and luck’s an unpredictable son-of-a-b*tch. So good luck, tonight, Stranger; you’re probably going to need it”</span></p><p> </p><p>

Frank’s endless sarcasm and brazenly fake niceness make for an effective heel character, and his mic skills ensure that his promo’s are always a highlight of the show</p><p>

<strong>Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D+</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Masked Stranger vs. Honest Frank</strong></p><p>

This was a great match, but I need to look at Stranger going forward. I hadn’t realised it until Frank’s promo, but Stranger’s yet to win a match in New York (or GSW, but that’s because Brother Grimm is clinically retarded). That’s largely due to his skill, in a weird way; he’s one of our top midcarders and gets a lot of high-profile matches, but with ‘Dozer and Sammy initially ahead of him he’s tended to be the guy putting over the top stars rather than bagging the wins himself. Mind you, he’s delivered enough quality matches to gain some overness, so god only knows what’ll happen when he finally wins one; knowing the way things usually work round here he’ll probably become more popular than god. As for Frank, he’s super-dependable and, whilst maybe not as talented on paper as the likes of Stranger, has the right combination of workrate, fundamentals and charisma to ensure a good match. He took the win here, forswearing the Brass Knuckles for once and putting Stranger away with The Best Policy.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Honest Frank <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D+</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

It’s promo time once again, as Roger’s on hype duty for the main event</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">“Rick, Rick, Rick. Y’know, I can’t remember a time when you actually liked me, even back when I was riding with Frank you hated my guts. But then, I think you hate pretty much everyone in the world so that’s not really a huge deal, y’know? No, what matters tonight is that we’re up against each other for the Empire title, one-on-one. Well, that’s supposing Frankie or Mauler don’t stick their noses in, but one-on-one in theory, right? And that’s a heck of a match-up, Rick, you’re a real tough dude and you’ve got a low kick like a mule. But maybe I’m just lucky, but there’s a reason I’ve held this title for nearly a year and a half. You wanna find out what that is?”</span></p><p> </p><p>

Blah blah blah reaction, blah blah blah good. Really, what more need I say?</p><p>

<strong>Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">C-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Roger Cage vs. Rick Sanders</strong></p><p>

Roger remains probably the best worker we’ve got in terms of consistent quality matches, and whilst that might partially be due to the quality of the competition it’s worth pointing out that who really cares? I certainly don’t. As for Rick, he continued our run of strong competitors from a small base of top heels, and his technical prowess and vicious offence made for a good counterpoint to Roger’s more brawl-based, laidback style. </p><p> </p><p>

It’s also worth pointing out that Rick, like a number of our upper midcarders, is quite some way behind our top stars popularity-wise, which is very telling when it comes to match quality. Any Old-School product like ours, first thing you have to do is figure out whether you’re going to emphasise the workrate or name value; we can work with either, but as a booker you need to be clear on what’s the priority or you’ll never know what kind of talent to go for. I get the feeling that Bailey preferred name value, but that left him with a problem when the likes of Whistler or Steve started to fall apart physically. Fortunately we’ve got the upper-card talent to play up the workrate element, and in any case more matches like this one and they’ll get plenty over, thankyou very much.</p><p> </p><p>

Finish-wise, this one went to Roger. Sanders was able to claim the advantage after a ref bump by unleashing his trademark low kick, but he took too long to apply the Figure Four, giving Rog a chance to recover enough to break the hold. Although clearly still feeling the effects of the kick, Cage was able to nail the Cage Rage, and by that point Michael Bull had recovered enough to count the three.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Roger Cage <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">C-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

After the match Honest Frank comes out from backstage and gets in the ring, clearly intending to lay another beat-down on Rog. Cage is back on his feet, however, and the two men get nose-to-nose, ready to go at it then and there. Before they can do so, though, the locker-room empties to try and keep them apart whilst Rick and Ernie go nuts on commentary to close out the show.</p><p>

<strong>Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">E+</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Overall Rating:</span></strong> <em><span style="font-family:Verdana;"><span style="font-size:24px;">C-</span></span></em>, keeping up our run of great form.</p>

<p>With that show over and in the books, let's take a look at predictions, shall we?</p><p> </p><p>

Rickymex: 5/7</p><p>

Midnightnick: 4/7</p><p>

CageRage: 6/7</p><p>

Voeltzwagon: 6/7</p><p>

JShmoopy: 7/7, and in answer to your question, the economy and wrestling industry started low and falling, so all the majors dropped a size in a couple of months and I think that curbed their recruitment</p><p>

Occasional_Z: 6/7</p><p>

TheCrippler: 4/7</p><p> </p><p>

So, JShmoopy wins the fan question this time round. No idea when the next post will go up, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it go up tomorrow or Thursday</p>

<p>If there’s one thing I hate more than anything else in the world, it’s…well, it’s actually K-Mart, but I also hate being called into the office unexpectedly by a man I don’t even like that much (which, so as we’re clear, is Larry). Even in a cab it’s a bad journey for someone with a bad back, terrible knees and shoulders that hate you, and what’s more Larry hadn’t even given me a reason beyond ‘get down here, we need to talk’. Call me old fashioned, but that’s not really a good reason to go calling me out of bed on a Sunday afternoon.</p><p> </p><p>

Stepping past Monty’s usual pile of tapes (apparently Mauler had been giving him advice on improving his psychology, and being Monty Trescarde he’d bought dozens of old shows and started watching them on the widescreen at the office for tips), I limped my way into Larry’s office and promptly parked myself in the only comfy chair in the room. Which, okay, was behind Larry’s desk, but he was stood up at the time so who cares?</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF8C00;">“Okay, so what’s so important that you had to pull me in on my day off?”</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#A0522D;">“You heard about this new outfit opening up, Pro Wrestling Max?”</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF8C00;">“Yeah, O’Farraday’s outfit in Phoenix. Larry, I hate to break it to you, but nobody cares about PWMAX, okay? It’s a tiny outfit, no guarantee they'll even last a year, and in any case they're two thousand miles away so what does it matter? Jeez, you assume everyone’s out to get you, huh?”</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#A0522D;">“Shut it Carpenter, that’s not what I'm worried about. People start talking about them, they forget to talk about us.”</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF8C00;">“Okay, Larry, what the f*ck are you thinking? They-are-not-competition. We-do-not-need-to-worry-or-react-in-any-way. Quit being so paranoid you crazy b@stard”</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#A0522D;">“Ross, this is my company. You are my employee. I will fire your @ss if you don’t shut the h*ll up and do what I tell you, okay?”</span></p><p> </p><p>

I genuinely considered telling Larry to go to h*ll- boss or not, I'm not taking that kind of treatment from anybody- but the Boys from the Yukon had just left the company, and I didn't want Larry messing up my plans for their replacements. </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF8C00;">“Okay, fine! What do you want me to do about it, Larry, really?”</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#A0522D;">“We need Riots on Wall Street to be memorable, okay? Something that'll get the focus back on us”</span></p><p> </p><p>

Technically the focus hadn't actually been on NYCW in years- even when I arrived it only merited a couple of lines on a sub-page at TEW.com- but now wasn't the time to tell Larry that.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF8C00;">“Okay, fine, not a problem. I've got a couple of plans in place anyway, it won't throw out anything I’ve got in the pipeline. Now can I go, or do you want to tell me something else I don't need to know?”</span></p><p> </p><p>

Larry glowered, and I quickly made my exit. Sure, I'm rounding third and in sight of the full home run to cripple-town, but I've known Larry long enough to realise that when he wants to kick your @ss he’s going to kick it and f*ck the consequences.</p><p> </p><p>

***</p><p> </p><p>

It wasn't long after the meeting that I finally managed to finalise the deals on the new signings:</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><span style="font-size:18px;">Lower Midcard</span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<a href="http://s56.photobucket.com/user/Looneyboyo/media/NYCW/RobbieWright_zps3ba18eb6.jpg.html" rel="external nofollow"><span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/NYCW/RobbieWright_zps3ba18eb6.jpg</span></a></p><p>

<strong>Robbie Wright</strong></p><p>

<strong>Age:</strong> 22 <strong>Billed From:</strong> Jacksonville, Florida</p><p>

<strong>Entrance Music:</strong> Bohemian Like You- Dandy Warhols</p><p>

<strong>Finisher:</strong> Wright-Off (Inverted Russian Legsweep)</p><p>

One of a growing number of MAW workers to have picked up extra work (Farraday’s brought Casey Valentine, Citizen X and Max Mayhem across to PWMAX and Bret Starr’s working at Pittsburgh), Robbie’s a half-decent brawler with a lot of charisma and decent fundamentals. He’s not a great worker by any means, but the potential’s there and as a lower-card worker he’s in a good position to learn from higher-placed workers whilst he works on improving. My only real concern is his stamina; it’s not good, and that might proved problematic.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><span style="font-size:18px;">Jobbers</span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<a href="http://s56.photobucket.com/user/Looneyboyo/media/NYCW/TheMidnightProwler_zpsbcbb0db6.jpg.html" rel="external nofollow"><span>http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/NYCW/TheMidnightProwler_zpsbcbb0db6.jpg</span></a></p><p>

<strong>Michael Ferdinand</strong></p><p>

<strong>Age:</strong> 19 <strong>Billed From:</strong> Providence, Rhode Island</p><p>

<strong>Entrance Music:</strong> Another One Bites the Dust- Queen</p><p>

<strong>Finisher:</strong> The Widow Maker (Samoan Drop)</p><p>

Michael Ferdinand is better known as The Midnight Prowler, or he would be if anyone had ever heard of him. He’s a solid competitor, good technical and brawling offence and solid fundamentals, but he’s got one major problem; he has a filthy attitude, and has already annoyed Ricky Turner by sounding off on his lack of personality (it’s true, but you don't have to say it). If we can work with his attitude then Ferdy’s got potential, especially if his new tag team with Andy Harper goes anywhere, but if he proves too difficult then I won't keep him around for long.</p><p> </p><p>

***</p><p> </p><p>

Card for NYCW Riots on Wall Street:</p><p> </p><p>

FOR THE NYCW EMPIRE TITLE</p><p>

Roger Cage © vs. Honest Frank</p><p> </p><p>

The Southern Stars © vs. Old School Principals vs. The Ring Generals vs. The Atlantic Connection</p><p> </p><p>

Steve Flash vs. Monty Trescarde</p><p> </p><p>

Kirk Jameson vs. Robbie Wright</p><p> </p><p>

GANG WAR</p><p>

Sammy the Shark & Nextwave (Geoff Borne & Kip Keenan) vs. Black Hat Bailey, Ricky Turner & The New York Doll)</p><p> </p><p>

Bulldozer Brandon Smith & Masked Stranger vs. Black & Blue Crew (Andrew Harper & Michael Ferdinand)</p>

<p>Card for NYCW Riots on Wall Street:</p><p> </p><p>

FOR THE NYCW EMPIRE TITLE</p><p>

<strong>Roger Cage ©</strong> vs. Honest Frank</p><p> </p><p>

The Southern Stars © vs. Old School Principals vs. <strong>The Ring Generals</strong> vs. The Atlantic Connection</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Steve Flash</strong> vs. Monty Trescarde</p><p> </p><p>

<strong> Kirk Jameson</strong> vs. Robbie Wright</p><p> </p><p>

GANG WAR</p><p>

<strong>Sammy the Shark & Nextwave (Geoff Borne & Kip Keenan)</strong> vs. Black Hat Bailey, Ricky Turner & The New York Doll)</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Bulldozer Brandon Smith & Masked Stranger </strong>vs. Black & Blue Crew (Andrew Harper & Michael Ferdinand)</p>

<strong>Roger Cage ©</strong> vs. Honest Frank</p><p> </p><p>

The Southern Stars © vs. Old School Principals vs.<strong> The Ring Generals</strong> vs. The Atlantic Connection</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Steve Flash </strong>vs. Monty Trescarde</p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Kirk Jameson</strong> vs. Robbie Wright</p><p> </p><p>

GANG WAR</p><p>

Sammy the Shark & Nextwave (Geoff Borne & Kip Keenan) vs. <strong>Black Hat Bailey, Ricky Turner & The New York Doll)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Bulldozer Brandon Smith & Masked Strange</strong>r vs. Black & Blue Crew (Andrew Harper & Michael Ferdinand)</p>

Roger Cage © vs. Honest Frank

I was torn but I think Roger will retain

The Southern Stars © vs. Old School Principals vs. The Ring Generals vs. The Atlantic Connection

Steve Flash vs. Monty Trescarde

Kirk Jameson vs. Robbie Wright

GANG WAR

Sammy the Shark & Nextwave (Geoff Borne & Kip Keenan) vs. Black Hat Bailey, Ricky Turner & The New York Doll)

Bulldozer Brandon Smith & Masked Stranger vs. Black & Blue Crew (Andrew Harper & Michael Ferdinand)

Roger Cage © vs. Honest Frank

The Southern Stars © vs. Old School Principals vs. The Ring Generals vs. The Atlantic Connection

Steve Flash vs. Monty Trescarde

Kirk Jameson vs. Robbie Wright

GANG WAR

Sammy the Shark & Nextwave (Geoff Borne & Kip Keenan) vs. Black Hat Bailey, Ricky Turner & The New York Doll)

Bulldozer Brandon Smith & Masked Stranger vs. Black & Blue Crew (Andrew Harper & Michael Ferdinand)

<p><strong>Roger Cage ©</strong> vs. Honest Frank</p><p>

<em>Cage has Frank's tricks scouted.</em></p><p> </p><p>

The Southern Stars © vs. Old School Principals vs. <strong>The Ring Generals</strong> vs. The Atlantic Connection</p><p>

<em>If you were going to make the change, now's the time.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Steve Flash</strong> vs. Monty Trescarde</p><p>

<em>Monty gets to learn and like it.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Kirk Jameson</strong> vs. Robbie Wright</p><p>

<em>JOBBER!</em></p><p> </p><p>

GANG WAR</p><p>

Sammy the Shark & Nextwave (Geoff Borne & Kip Keenan) vs. <strong>Black Hat Bailey, Ricky Turner & The New York Doll)</strong></p><p>

<em>Hard to say, but Bailey is higher than Sammy and Turner is higher than either of Sammy's allies.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Bulldozer Brandon Smith & Masked Stranger</strong> vs. Black & Blue Crew (Andrew Harper & Michael Ferdinand)</p><p>

<em>JOBBERS!</em></p>

<strong>Roger Cage ©</strong> vs. Honest Frank</p><p>

<em>No reason for your best worker to lose the title. Unless he finally got the call...</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Southern Stars ©</strong> vs. Old School Principals vs. The Ring Generals vs. The Atlantic Connection</p><p>

<em>If any team were to win, it would be The Ring Generals, but there hasn't been a whole lot indicating a change.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Steve Flash</strong> vs. Monty Trescarde</p><p>

<em>Flash may be old, but he's still going to get the W over Monty</em></p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Kirk Jameson</strong> vs. Robbie Wright</p><p>

<em>Jobbers.</em></p><p> </p><p>

GANG WAR</p><p>

Sammy the Shark & Nextwave (Geoff Borne & Kip Keenan) vs. <strong>Black Hat Bailey, Ricky Turner & The New York Doll)</strong></p><p>

<em>Bailey's team is higher on the pecking order than Sammy's</em></p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Bulldozer Brandon Smith & Masked Stranger</strong> vs. Black & Blue Crew (Andrew Harper & Michael Ferdinand)</p><p>

<em>More jobbers...</em></p><p> </p><p>

Sorry for not asking the question earlier, I was on vacation since last Monday - at Disney World (not going to be online there) and in an area where I was completely unplugged (having no internet sucked). I just got home this evening, well, here it is:</p><p> </p><p>

</p><ul><li><br />

Roger Cage, if you could have any match with any wrestler in the COTT, who would it be?</li></ul><p></p>

<p>Sorry it's been a while folks, I got a bit sidetracked and forgot about this. Show should go up tomorrow or Thursday-ish. In the meantime, here's a question from JShmoopy:</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Roger Cage, if you could have any match with any wrestler in the COTT, who would it be?</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Roger:</strong> That's easy actually, as I've already wrestled him once: Mean Jean Cattley. We faced off at Fairytale of New York 2011 in a qualifier for the Rip Chord Invitational, and he won thanks to everyone and their mother interfering. It'd be good to face him in a straight match and see who was the better guy (I'm guessing it'd be me)</p>

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><span style="font-size:36px;">NYCW Riots on Wall Street</span></strong></p><p>

<span style="font-size:24px;">Live to DVD from The Ministry</span></p><p><span style="font-size:24px;">

Saturday, Week 4, May</span></p><p><span style="font-size:24px;">

Audience: 893</span></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><span style="font-size:18px;">The Show</span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Black & Blue Crew vs. Masked Stranger & Bulldozer Brandon Smith</strong></p><p>

The Black & Blue Crew are our new heel jobbers, obviously, and on the basis of tonight they have a real future in the tag division- this was a pretty solid bout that did a good job of getting the crowd warmed up. Admittedly that might be down to their opponents- Stranger and ‘Dozer are two of our strongest workers, and despite their comparative lack of popularity they’ve really cemented themselves as two of our top faces- but it’s worth pointing out that Ferdinand in particular looks very promising, and whilst Harper isn’t all that great a worker he did show some improvement here. For the most part, though, this was a squash, albeit one that didn’t hurt the heels too much by emphasising Stranger’s canny technical style and ‘Dozer’s raw power. Smith got the victory here, dropping Michael with the Backdrop Driver.</p><p>

<strong>Winners:</strong> Bulldozer Brandon Smith <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p>

It’s promo time, as Frank hypes up the main event</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">“It’s been three or four months since the last time we faced each other, Roger, and I’m not sure how I feel about that. See, you didn't beat me at Rush Hour, you got the DQ win when Monty Trescarde got involved- and I had nothing to do with that, believe me. Since then, though, I've stepped back, let my boys Rick and Mauler have a shot, and they've both been unlucky and come up short. Now, it’s my turn again, and I’ve got to admit, you've got a lot of excuses this time. Maybe Mauler and Rick have softened you up, maybe not, but the truth is, you’re not good enough to really beat me Roger. That’s the truth</span></p><p><span style="color:#FF0000;"> </span></p><p><span style="color:#FF0000;">

“After all…Would I Lie To You?”</span></p><p> </p><p>

Frank’s always good value on the stick, and this one served the added advantage of letting out something a little extra- we know Frank’s a lying b@stard, but tonight we saw a little ruthlessness too.</p><p>

<strong>Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D+</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Kirk Jameson vs. Robbie Wright</strong></p><p>

This was another solid match, and not a bad debut for Robbie either. Okay, so he was running out of gas by the end of it, but he showed off some of that charisma that made him such a hit in MAW. Mind you, it’s clear how much he relies on that charisma to make his matches entertaining; his offence is basic at best, very reliant on an endless variety of punches and kicks interspersed with jaw-jacking at the crowd, and in lesser hands that would be a disaster. Like I said, though, Robbie’s got the charisma to make it work, and in any case up against Kirk all he had to do was not screw up. Jameson’s one of the best we've got, and the only things holding him back from going straight into the title scene is Roger’s charisma- when you've got two guys with roughly equal amounts of talent little things like who can cut their own promo’s is a big difference maker. Against midcard talent like Robbie though Kirk’s never going to come second best, and he got the win here with the Bullseye (Diamond Cutter)</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Kirk Jameson <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

From there we cut to the big screen, where Haley’s on hype duty for the tag match</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF00FF;">“It’s the simple truth that The Ring Generals are a superior class of tag team. That’s why Daddy bought their contracts for me, and it’s why tonight they’ll defeat those hillbilly upstarts The Southern Stars. You see, if there is one thing I know is true, it’s that I always get what I want, and what I want is to be the manager of the NYCW Tag Team champions. By hook or by crook, my team will come out of tonight’s match the winners, even if Daddy has to buy off every official in the state. It’s just gonna happen, because Princess Haley always gets her way”</span></p><p> </p><p>

The ‘Daddy’ thing is one of those ideas I got from somewhere and decided to run with; whether or not it works out as a long-term hook remains to be seen. As for the reaction, hopefully as Haley gets more name value people will start to respond to her more. </p><p>

<strong>Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">E+</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Sammy the Shark & Nextwave (Geoff Borne & Kip Keenan) vs. Black Hat Bailey, Ricky Turner & The New York Doll</strong></p><p>

These Gang War squash matches have a habit of always being a bit disappointing, although I’m increasingly of the opinion that demoting Kip to basically being a jobber wasn’t the bad idea I feared it might be. Whilst the likes of The Atlantic Connection and Masked Stranger have done a lot to establish themselves as tremendously promising up-and-coming faces Double K’s weak psychology has really counted against him, and whilst he remains promising he’s not the kind of instant star he looked like he might be when I first bought him in. In fact, that’s kind of true of all the guys here; they’re all solid workers to a greater or lesser extent, but with the possible exception of Turner (whose fundamentals give him an edge) aren’t going to rise much further up the card than their current spot. Given that Ricky’s the best prospect in this one it’s no surprise he took the win here, catching Borne’s attempt as a missile dropkick and reversing it into the Boston Crab to secure the submission victory.</p><p>

<strong>Winners:</strong> Black Hat Bailey, Ricky Turner & The New York Doll <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D-</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

No sooner has the match ended than Old School Principals hit ringside, pulling Sammy off the apron and laying into him with a vicious beatdown. They’re soon joined by Honest Frank, who wields a baseball bat with brutal accuracy, and it’s not long before Sammy is laid out at ringside (honestly, this guy’s been beaten up more times than Robin).</p><p>

<strong>Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">E+</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Steve Flash vs. Monty Trescarde</strong></p><p>

This one wasn’t at all bad, but it definitely shows that Monty needs to go back in the oven a bit longer before he’s ready for the top spots. The tape marathons have had a very positive impact on his psychology, but it’s still not quite enough to put him into the very top heel bracket. Admittedly Steve might not have been the best choice of opponents, as his increasingly problematic knees always affect his matches, but even so I think it’s clear that Monty needs just a bit more work before he’s ready. Still, there’s a lot of potential there, and I’ll give him a run-out against Stranger or ‘Dozer in a couple of months to see how he handles it; they’re probably nearer the top of the card than Steve these days anyway. That’s not to say Flash is a poor wrestler, though, just an aging one, and he took the win here, reversing an attempt at the Cash Bonus into a German Suplex and bridging through into a pin.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Steve Flash <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

It’s promo time, as we hear from The Southern Stars ahead of the tag team title bout</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#4B0082;">“You know baby dolls, there ain’t many cats in this town can match Marvellous Marv and Deadly Dean for bad attitude- heck, only compadres come to mind is Old School Principals. Throw in the Atlantic Connection, you can see why me and The Big Bopper here have one heck of a tough time on our hands tonight. But me and Animal, we ain’t the types to walk away quiet, are we big man?”</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#8B0000;">“Animal tough. Animal’s friend tough. Animal and friend good at smash!”</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#4B0082;">“You got it. Tonight, it’s gonna be a real sweet match.”</span></p><p> </p><p>

These two are always good value on the mic.</p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Southern Stars vs. Old School Principals vs. The Ring Generals vs. The Atlantic Connection</strong></p><p>

Our tag division is currently looking pretty strong, although the Principals are only semi-involved in the title hunt at the moment whilst I figure stuff out in the main event. In any case, there are a lot of great teams in the division, and just putting four of them together resulted in a match that I’d be quite happy to put in the main event. However good the match was, though, it really emphasised one thing; the weakest team in this match was definitely The Southern Stars, and that’s not good considering they’re the champions. To be fair, they’re both solid workers who bring a lot to the table, but Tennessee’s psychology is so weak that it really knocks them down the ladder in terms of what they can offer compared to the other guys in this match. Still, they can at least handle their own mic work, and their down-and-dirty brawling serves as a nice contrast to the technical work of teams like The Ring Generals and the Principals. Statler and Waldorf got the win tonight, though- they’re easily the strongest of the full-time teams- after they were able to get CJ up for the Squared Circle Assault whilst the Principals brawled with William and Harker at ringside</p><p>

<strong>Winners:</strong> The Ring Generals <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D+</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

It’s promo time once again, as Rog is on hype duty for the main event</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">“It’s been a tough few months, no two ways about it. Seems like every time I turn around The Five Points Mafia are on my case, and that gets to be a real drag, y’know? But tonight, I finally get a chance to get this whole thing dealt with once and for all. Frankie, I can’t promise you that it’ll go exactly the way either of us want, but I do know this- I’m gonna punch you in the face quite a lot. You might want to alert a plastic surgeon or something, I don’t know how you’ll look when I’m done”</span></p><p> </p><p>

This one wasn’t one of Rog’s best promo’s. It wasn’t bad, but I think he misjudged the tone; he was mellow when maybe he should’ve been intense</p><p>

Rating: <span style="font-size:14px;"><em><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D+</span></em></span></p><p> </p><p>

*</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Honest Frank vs. Roger Cage</strong></p><p>

This one was a generally good match, but it was definitely the weakest match Cage has had all year. It’s fairly easy to see why, though; he wasn't hugely chuffed with the finish, so I booked him to look strong so he'd stay happy. Problem with that is, Roger’s not the kind of guy who can handle looking too strong; Steve or Stranger could maybe manage it, their offence is varied enough to keep it interesting, but with Roger handling most of the offence this devolved to a mildly monotonous punch-and-kick-fest. To be absolutely fair it’s not like Frank does a whole lot more than that, but an equal contest is always more interesting than one in which one guy does all the running. As I said though, on a general scale this was a good match- monotonous his offence might be but Roger’s got charisma up to the eyeballs and that always makes for a good match- and at least I know where the problem was. As for the finish, this one ended with Frank the victor: Roger nailed the Cage Rage, but as he went for the pin the Old School Principals interfered, Mauler distracting Michael Bull whilst Rick Sanders hit Cage with his trademark Low Kick. Frank was back on his feet by that point, and used the confusion to nail Rog with the Brass Knuckles Punch, ensuring that when Bull turned round there was no way Roger was going to kick out of the pin.</p><p>

<strong>Winner:</strong> Honest Frank <strong>Match Rating:</strong> <em><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D+</span></span></em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Overall Rating:</span></strong> <span style="font-size:24px;"><em><span style="font-family:Verdana;">D+</span></em></span>, a bit of a slump from our last two shows but still solid</p>

<p>Just to say guys, that I've gotten really burnt out on this dynasty. I love NYCW, and some of the characters from this incarnation of the company are really cool, but a combination of bad luck and my own bad booking has left me feeling really uninspired about this latest dynasty.</p><p> </p><p>

So, I'm knocking this one on the head here, and starting over with a new version. Expect that to appear in about a fortnight, as I'm going on holiday on Friday and will be away from the internet for aboot a week.</p>

Archived