1. Kevin Love (Clippers)

2. Russell Westbrook (Grizzlies)

3. Marc Gasol (Hawks)

4. Roy Hibbert (Wolves)

5. Anthony Morrow (Spurs)

6. O.J. Mayo (Bucks)

7. Derrick Rose (76ers)

8. *TRADE ALERT*

The Nuggets trade the 8th pick, which they originally got from Washington, to the Bulls for the 22nd pick, the 34th pick, which was obtained originally from the Spurs, and Chicago's 2009 1st round pick.

With the 8th pick of the 2008 NBA Draft...the Chicago Bulls select Brook Lopez.

9. Danilo Gallinari (Warriors)

10. Courtney Lee (Pacers)

11. Eric Gordon (Wolves)

12. Goran Dragic (Cavs)

13. Nicolas Batum (Celtics)

14. *TRADE ALERT*

The Lakers traded the 14th pick to the Houston Rockets for the Rockets 29th pick and the Rockets 2009 1st round pick.

With the 14th pick of the 2008 NBA Draft...the Houston Rockets select Michael Beasley.

15. DeAndre Jordan (Suns)

16. Greg Oden (Jazz)

17. Mario Chalmers (Heat)

18. Brandon Rush (Hornets)

19. Rudy Fernandez (Blazers)

20. JaVale McGee (Bobcats)

21. Anthony Randolph (Hornets)

22. Ryan Anderson (Nuggets)

23. Hamed Haddadi (Magic)

24. Robin Lopez (Pistons)

25. Jason Thompson (Kings)

26. D.J. Augustin (Mavs)

27. Alexis Ajinca (Raptors)

28. Bill Walker (Grizzlies)

29. Will Bynum (Lakers)

30. Kosta Koufos (Thunder)

2nd round:

31. Chris Douglas-Roberts (Celtics)

32. *TRADE ALERT*

The Atlanta Hawks trade the 32nd pick to the Golden State Warriors for the 39th pick and the Warriors 2009 2nd round pick.

With the 32nd pick of the 2008 NBA Draft...the Golden State Warriors select Cartier Martin.

33. Donte Greene (Wolves)

34. Anthony Tolliver (Nuggets)

35. J.J. Hickson (Bucks)

36. Marreese Speights (Bulls)

37. Sonny Weems (Wizards)

38. George Hill (76ers)

39. Kyle Weaver (Hawks)

40. Luc Richard Mbah A Moute (Pacers)

41. Darrell Arthur (Cavs)

42. J.R. Giddens (Celtics)

43. Steven Hill (Celtics)

44. Jerryd Bayless (Lakers)

45. Mike Taylor (Suns)

46. D.J. White (Jazz)

Wow, some surprising drops (notably Rose, Jordan, and George Hill). Anthony Morrow at 5? Are the Spurs seeing something we're not? :p Also, the Magic might be kicking themselves in the butt after a few years for picking Haddadi over Robin Lopez.

Wow, some surprising drops (notably Rose, Jordan, and George Hill). Anthony Morrow at 5? Are the Spurs seeing something we're not? :p Also, the Magic might be kicking themselves in the butt after a few years for picking Haddadi over Robin Lopez.

Rose, Jordan, and Hill all have surprisingly low ratings. Morrow was given pretty high marks by the Spurs staff. The Magic had Haddadi rated high currently with the same amount of potential as Lopez. They might lose the Kandi-Man in free agency, so drafting another Center who could possibly contribute right away for them was key.

Speaking of free agency...a pretty stacked list this year that could alter the NBA more than it did last offseason.

Top 2008 Free Agents (Previous Team):

1. Dirk Nowitzki (Raptors)

2. Paul Pierce (Thunder)

3. Jameer Nelson (Knicks)

4. Kevin Martin (Bobcats)

5. Andre Iguodala (Bulls)

6. Vince Carter (Jazz)

7. Stephen Jackson (Wizards)

8. Corey Maggette (Celtics)

9. Michael Olowokandi (Magic)

10. Delonte West (Blazers)

All are high rated players with Nowitzki and Pierce being the prized veterans more than likely going after their last huge contract. Nelson, Martin, and Igs are the young guys with long, productive careers ahead of them.

Dirk's still injured, though, right?

Also, who did the Knicks give up again to get Nelson? It'd be a damn shame if they Knicks'ed it up. LOL. A lot of swingmen on the list so I think Dirk and (ugh) Kandi-man get the most attention.

No, he was only out 2 months.

The Knicks only gave up, I believe, their 2008 1st round pick. The Grizzlies didn't get a king's ransom or anything, because their owner is a tightwad and wasn't going to pony up the money to re-sign Nelson, so they just got what they could for a possible short rental.

I do believe the Knicks will end up re-signing Nelson, though, since they got his Bird Rights and have good talent surrounding him. Plus, not really many teams can afford him that aren't already set at PG.

Do you manually bid on the players or have the AI sign them?

I bid on the players and let the game decide which team the player signs with.

To keep things fair and balanced, I offer the same amount of money and same amount of years from each team.

I usually handle free agency like this...

1. I make the list I post here of the top free agents.

2. I then go down the list, one by one, and offer contracts to those players for the teams with the cap space and the need for that player.

3. I then advance free agency until that player signs with a team.

4. I then reload my game back to day 1 of free agency and offer the contract to that player with the team that signed him. That way, I don't lose any valuable days in free agency.

5. I repeat the process until all the top free agents have "agreed" to deals with teams.

6. From there, I go through the team needs and the players available. I look for any player that the particular team might rate higher than other teams. I then I make note of it and have them sign with that team. (For example, this offseason, the Kings have rated J.J. Barea higher than any other teams, so they will be signing him.)

7. I then go through and pretty much do the same with the lower tier talent (green/green, yellow/green) until all of those guys are signed.

8. At that point, I finish getting the rosters together from what's left of the free agents. This usually consists of just re-signing bench guys/aging veterans or signing guys that aren't going to be re-signed by their previous team.

To illustrate how I handle the top free agents, I'll show the process involving Dirk.

Before I make any offers, I save my game.

I then go through each team and see who A. Doesn't already have a star PF and B. can afford him. In Dirk's case, not many teams fit the bill. I think it was just the Pacers, Cavs, Raptors, Nuggets, and maybe the Spurs. Each team offered him 5 year deals worth just over 100 million.

I then advanced each day in free agency until he signed with a team.

Who did he end up signing with?

He re-signed with the Raptors.

So, I reloaded my game back to day 1 of free agency, then made the lone contract offer to Dirk by the Raptors, saved the game, then repeated the process with Paul Pierce.

Now, things get a little tricky. Since the Raptors held Dirk's Bird Rights, then had enough cap room to go after another top free agent. They tried going after Kevin Martin. So, when it got to Martin's turn, I removed Dirk's offer, because if Dirk signed first, then they would not have had enough money to sign Martin, but if Martin signed with them before Dirk does, they could still sign Dirk due to the Bird Rights.

I bid on the players and let the game decide which team the player signs with.

To keep things fair and balanced, I offer the same amount of money and same amount of years from each team.

I usually handle free agency like this...

1. I make the list I post here of the top free agents.

2. I then go down the list, one by one, and offer contracts to those players for the teams with the cap space and the need for that player.

3. I then advance free agency until that player signs with a team.

4. I then reload my game back to day 1 of free agency and offer the contract to that player with the team that signed him. That way, I don't lose any valuable days in free agency.

5. I repeat the process until all the top free agents have "agreed" to deals with teams.

6. From there, I go through the team needs and the players available. I look for any player that the particular team might rate higher than other teams. I then I make note of it and have them sign with that team. (For example, this offseason, the Kings have rated J.J. Barea higher than any other teams, so they will be signing him.)

7. I then go through and pretty much do the same with the lower tier talent (green/green, yellow/green) until all of those guys are signed.

8. At that point, I finish getting the rosters together from what's left of the free agents. This usually consists of just re-signing bench guys/aging veterans or signing guys that aren't going to be re-signed by their previous team.

To illustrate how I handle the top free agents, I'll show the process involving Dirk.

Before I make any offers, I save my game.

I then go through each team and see who A. Doesn't already have a star PF and B. can afford him. In Dirk's case, not many teams fit the bill. I think it was just the Pacers, Cavs, Raptors, Nuggets, and maybe the Spurs. Each team offered him 5 year deals worth just over 100 million.

I then advanced each day in free agency until he signed with a team.

Who did he end up signing with?

He re-signed with the Raptors.

So, I reloaded my game back to day 1 of free agency, then made the lone contract offer to Dirk by the Raptors, saved the game, then repeated the process with Paul Pierce.

Now, things get a little tricky. Since the Raptors held Dirk's Bird Rights, then had enough cap room to go after another top free agent. They tried going after Kevin Martin. So, when it got to Martin's turn, I removed Dirk's offer, because if Dirk signed first, then they would not have had enough money to sign Martin, but if Martin signed with them before Dirk does, they could still sign Dirk due to the Bird Rights.

Very cool, I want to start my own game like this when my "real" life starts to calm down a bit!

• 2 months later...

2008 Free agency results: (old team) ----> (new team)

1. Dirk Nowitzki (Raptors) ---> (Raptors)

2. Paul Pierce (Thunder) ----> (Thunder)

3. Jameer Nelson (Knicks) ----> (Knicks)

4. Kevin Martin (Bobcats) ----> (Bobcats)

5. Andre Iguodala (Bulls) ----> (Bulls)

6. Vince Carter (Jazz) ----> (Nets)

7. Stephen Jackson (Wizards) ----> (Jazz)

8. Corey Maggette (Celtics) ----> (Lakers)

9. Michael Olowokandi (Magic) ----> (Magic)

10. Delonte West (Blazers) ----> (Blazers)

The Rockets also managed to upgrade the Center position by stealing solid big man, Chris Mihm, away from the Spurs.

• 4 weeks later...

All Star Weekend Festivities:

The Sophomores defeated the Rookies.

The Sophomores had a starting 5 consisting of...

C: Marcin Gortat

PF: Al Horford

SF: Kevin Durant

SG: Arron Afflalo

PG: Ramon Sessions

The Rookies had a starting 5 consisting of...

C: Brook Lopez

PF: Anthony Tolliver (subbing for a recently injured Kevin Love)

SF: Nicolas Batum

SG: Anthony Morrow

PG: Russell Westbrook

Kevin Durant was the MVP of the game, but Aaron Brooks led all scorers.

Jameer Nelson won the 3pt Shootout.

Craig Smith (yeah, I know) won the Slam Dunk Contest.

In the All Star Game, the West thrashed the East.

First Time All Stars (East):

Chris Kaman (Cavs)

Mike Miller (Pistons)

First Time All Stars (West):

Caron Butler (Mavs)

Jamaal Tinsley (Suns)

Nene Hilario (Kings)

Elton Brand won All Star Game MVP honors.

At the trade deadline, the Bulls felt they needed to make a move to compete with the Raptors and Knicks in the East. They did that by improving their second unit. The following was a 3 team trade.

The Bulls sent:

C - Andrew Bynum to the Thunder

PG - Raymond Felton to the 76ers

SG - Dion Glover to the 76ers

The 76ers sent:

PG - George Hill to the Bulls

SG - Jason Terry to the Bulls

C - Nikoloz Tskitishvili to the Bulls

The Thunder sent:

2009 1st round pick to the Bulls

C- Todd Macculloch to the 76ers

The 76ers have the NBA's worst record and the players they got have expiring contracts and will go into next offseason with only 4 players on the roster. Nothing more than salary cap dump getting rid of Terry. George Hill was thrown in to entice the Bulls to take on Terry's contract.

The Bulls improved their second unit by adding reliable veteran in Jason Terry and the potential heir apparent to Baron Davis in George Hill. Tskitishvili was waived by the Bulls and re-signed Aaron Gray to back up Brook Lopez. While, it was hard to give up Andrew Bynum, he was due to be a free agent after the season and probably wouldn't have been back after losing his starting job. They wanted a 1st round pick in 2009 since they traded theirs away.

The Thunder wanted a good quality center, while Bynum may be a 30+ game rental, he gives the team a youthful presence in the starting lineup.

Archived