[help] 1970

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The download links aren't working for me. I really want to try this out!

Could you please switch them or making multiple mirrors?

Are you sure you're using the right link? I delete previous instalments as I go so every link will be dead except the most recent one; if I was a smart man I would have kept the first post up to date but I am not a smart man. xD The most recent preview can be found here: Database and/or Pictures. Just to make it clear, it's not a new link for those who are up to date, I'm just linking it again for PinkDogHardware. If it's still not working, do you have a preference to a place you'd like me to upload too?

As I'm here, I'll give you a quick update. Well, all the rosters are done so I'm now working my way through the title histories as I figure that's a good place for me to start in terms of finding 'already debuted' workers who I haven't included yet. Once they're done, I'll look for some of the more obscure 'already debuted' workers (basically those who haven't won a championship) before finally moving onto those 'yet to debut'. Once all that's done, it'll be just about bulking the moderation up so that it's more playable, giving you guys more options and whatnot. As I've said previously, the plan right now is to do all the 'already debuted' workers and the main 'yet to debut' workers (the likes of Ric Flair) and release a "beta" so you guys get to play and I can get some proper feedback all while I'm still working on it behind the scenes. We're definitely close to that stage and just finishing the rosters has reinvigorated me as I feel like I'm passed probably the most monotonous task of them all.

So yeah, hopefully we're in a position to turn the likes of Danny Hodge, Chris Colt and Bobby Shane into the stars they should have been, and hand the likes of Ray Stevens longer reigns at the top before long. Do you want to know what I'm most looking forward to? Seeing what the wrestling world would have looked like if we didn't have the racial issues. In real life there were so many top quality wrestlers who didn't get the chances they deserved because of their ethnicity and as it's impossible to be racist in TEW, it's really interesting to me to see how they fare. Hopefully, even if you don't have a clue about this time period you'll give it a chance because I like to think that the mod will actually teach you a thing or two about wrestling this far back while remaining fun to play. Anyway, enough of me talking about it, I guess I should get back to work so then we can actually do this. xD

What is the progress on this mod oh great one?

Great one? I'm more like the mediocre one. xD

Pretty much exactly where we were before, to be honest. I'm still working on titles while adding 'already debuted' workers from the title histories as I find them. If you want actual numbers, then I've done just under 50 titles now including all Japanese titles and all British titles. If you don't think that's a lot, then to put that into perspective that's around 277 title lineages which is obviously the time consuming aspect. Like I've done with every worker in my mod, I'm doing all the title histories myself - I've not imported very much at all to be honest - so if there are any mistakes, they'll be mine and no one else's. I'm now working on going through Canada's titles as I'm saving the United States of America for last considering they have the most promotions with the most titles, obviously. For those of you wondering, I will be implementing NWA titles but they'll be further explained upon release. Fortunately, a lot of promotions had their own versions of NWA titles, which make some of them a lot easier in terms of alliance belts. I'm trying to steer clear of "yet to debut" titles if there is such a thing, but where applicable, I am adding their pictures to the "Belts" file so if people want to add them at some point, they can. Anyway, I think that's about it.

Great one? I'm more like the mediocre one. xD

Pretty much exactly where we were before, to be honest. I'm still working on titles while adding 'already debuted' workers from the title histories as I find them. If you want actual numbers, then I've done just under 50 titles now including all Japanese titles and all British titles. If you don't think that's a lot, then to put that into perspective that's around 277 title lineages which is obviously the time consuming aspect. Like I've done with every worker in my mod, I'm doing all the title histories myself - I've not imported very much at all to be honest - so if there are any mistakes, they'll be mine and no one else's. I'm now working on going through Canada's titles as I'm saving the United States of America for last considering they have the most promotions with the most titles, obviously. For those of you wondering, I will be implementing NWA titles but they'll be further explained upon release. Fortunately, a lot of promotions had their own versions of NWA titles, which make some of them a lot easier in terms of alliance belts. I'm trying to steer clear of "yet to debut" titles if there is such a thing, but where applicable, I am adding their pictures to the "Belts" file so if people want to add them at some point, they can. Anyway, I think that's about it.

Have you checked this site out?

Wrestling-Titles.com

http://www.wrestling-titles.com/

Seems that there are many title lines there, maybe the ones you need. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't wanna be that guy, but how is the title situation coming along Mammoth?

Don't worry about being "that guy" because people asking how it's coming usually reinvigorates me because it lets me know people are eager to play. :) I'm just finishing up Stampede Wrestling which will then mean Canada is done, which leaves me with Mexico, Australia and, of course, the USA. I'm up to about 57 titles which sounds like I've seriously been slacking since the last update since I was just under 50 then but whereas the title lineages were at 277 then, they're now at 613 which I think says a lot more than the 57. xD It's a slower process than I thought it would be but I want to get it right now because a lot of mods usually go back to title histories when people have pointed out mistakes and I'd rather concentrate my efforts elsewhere upon release so getting it right now saves me any pain down the road. Also, going through tittle histories has allowed me to add around 50 more workers to the database who have 'already debuted' so it's really allowing me to beef up the data too, which is also highly time consuming. I wouldn't say we're half way there because the USA titles are going to quadruple the numbers since there are so many promotions in the USA but I feel like I've made a good start and I'm steadily building up some momentum.

:D That's good news! And... :o That is a lot of title lineage :o.......so, you are working on the Mexican or Australian title lineages right now?

Also I've been thinking of what I'm gonna do in my first game when this is released and I finally thought up something....Flair & Race, the Funks, David von Erich, Magnum, Inoki & Baba, Arn & Tully, Andre, Shawn, Owen & Bret...lock 'em up for the WWWF as soon as possible! :D Gonna take the WWWF national as quickly as possible! :D

:D That's good news! And... :o That is a lot of title lineage :o.......so, you are working on the Mexican or Australian title lineages right now?

Also I've been thinking of what I'm gonna do in my first game when this is released and I finally thought up something....Flair & Race, the Funks, David von Erich, Magnum, Inoki & Baba, Arn & Tully, Andre, Shawn, Owen & Bret...lock 'em up for the WWWF as soon as possible! :D Gonna take the WWWF national as quickly as possible! :D

Well I am going to take over the AWA and crush the competition! Muwhahahaha!

Yeah, I'm surprised by how many title lineages there are actually. I thought because I was working on a 1970 mod, the title lineages wouldn't actually go back that far but the histories go back further because most promotions have had the same titles they first started with in the 40s/50s. It's not like it is in today's climate where titles are brought in and removed at a moments notice, titles in their era actually meant something and it shows in their history. And yes, I'm working on Australian now (they only have two titles so it shouldn't take long) then it'll be Mexico and - like I've mentioned before - I'll finish up with the USA titles.

I think more than any other, the user can literally do anything they want with this moderation because literally everyone is on a pay-per-appearance deal so all those names you've mentioned will be available immediately, except those yet to début, obviously. I'd hate to see who you get rid of to make room for them though because the WWWF roster is already pretty strong. xD

Yeah, I'm surprised by how many title lineages there are actually. I thought because I was working on a 1970 mod, the title lineages wouldn't actually go back that far but the histories go back further because most promotions have had the same titles they first started with in the 40s/50s. It's not like it is in today's climate where titles are brought in and removed at a moments notice, titles in their era actually meant something and it shows in their history. And yes, I'm working on Australian now (they only have two titles so it shouldn't take long) then it'll be Mexico and - like I've mentioned before - I'll finish up with the USA titles.
Only two Australian Titles? Huh....and yeah, figured USA would be last! :D

I think more than any other, the user can literally do anything they want with this moderation because literally everyone is on a pay-per-appearance deal so all those names you've mentioned will be available immediately, except those yet to début, obviously. I'd hate to see who you get rid of to make room for them though because the WWWF roster is already pretty strong. xD
It all depends on how the first month goes. If I make a lot of money, I'm gonna hire [and lock up if the WWWF is Cult] most of the names on my list!

Just a quick update: Australia and Mexico are officially done. Well, in fact they were done a day or two ago but I forgot to update you so I've also made a start on American promotions, having already completed the American Wrestling Association (AWA) as I'm going to do them in alphabetical order. If you're a fan of numbers, then we're now up to 92 titles and 1,138 title lineages.

Just a reminder as I still get the occasional private message asking me when I'll be releasing it: after I've done the titles, I plan on expanding the TV Networks and PPV Carriers, adding some of the important "Yet to Debut" workers who'll debut in the next year or two (the likes of Ric Flair) and then releasing something of a BETA while I add the rest of the "Yet to Debut" workers as - hopefully - you all enjoy the moderation. So yes, we're really, really close but not close enough for me to give you an exact ETA.

Hey Mammoth, how's the research into PPV Carriers & TV Networks going? Figured you are doing well on the Titles for the US...tedious work it must be....and just remembered you mentioned PPV & TV last time.

Yes, it's very tedious. xD We're not just dealing with the NWA titles in this period (which as we know is very hard to simulate in TEW) but we're also dealing with a lot of regional titles which would be defended across promotions. Take Texas for example as that's what I'm working on now with Big Time Wrestling (future World Class Championship Wrestling), they had numerous titles that were defended across the promotions, some of which I haven't even included in the moderation which complicates matters somewhat. xD I'm finding a way though and as there are some holes in title lineages because of the lack of records, people are going to have to give me a little bit of leeway in what's right and wrong; hopefully people can appreciate the difficulty of what it is I'm trying to achieve and don't expect perfection.

Anyway, back to your original question, I haven't touched the PPV Carriers or TV Networks yet, I was just saying that they're next on my list after titles. I don't expect them to need much "research" as I included all the TV deals that are present at the start of the moderation (January, 1970) as I was doing the rosters so it should only be a case of adding other networks around those I've already added, both already airing and yet to air.

As for PPV Carriers, I actually have a question for everyone: do you want me to build a moderation that mimics real life - having a whole load of PPV Carriers ready to air in later years and none at the start of the game - or just for game purposes, have a couple ready straight away? Obviously not real life carriers, but some generic carriers like "Closed Circuit USA" and those of a similar nature. I was thinking about it the other day and as much as I want to stay true to the time period, I couldn't get over the fact that the game (which is what TEW is first and foremost) may lose a certain factor without PPV Carriers. What do people think?

Yes, it's very tedious. xD We're not just dealing with the NWA titles in this period (which as we know is very hard to simulate in TEW) but we're also dealing with a lot of regional titles which would be defended across promotions. Take Texas for example as that's what I'm working on now with Big Time Wrestling (future World Class Championship Wrestling), they had numerous titles that were defended across the promotions, some of which I haven't even included in the moderation which complicates matters somewhat. xD I'm finding a way though and as there are some holes in title lineages because of the lack of records, people are going to have to give me a little bit of leeway in what's right and wrong; hopefully people can appreciate the difficulty of what it is I'm trying to achieve and don't expect perfection.

I appreciate it for sure! So many titles for you to do....so much to perfect...kinda not possible unless you're a self-check machine or fix the mistakes after beta/final release! :o:D

......As for PPV Carriers, I actually have a question for everyone: do you want me to build a moderation that mimics real life - having a whole load of PPV Carriers ready to air in later years and none at the start of the game - or just for game purposes, have a couple ready straight away? Obviously not real life carriers, but some generic carriers like "Closed Circuit USA" and those of a similar nature. I was thinking about it the other day and as much as I want to stay true to the time period, I couldn't get over the fact that the game (which is what TEW is first and foremost) may lose a certain factor without PPV Carriers. What do people think?

Maybe a few for each region that hard close before the first set of true PPV Carriers come out for each region? So USA Mammoth Creations close when USA RL Carriers appear...Mexican Mammoths close when Mexican RL appear, etc etc....

My opinion/idea though, so take it with a grain of salt.

....I have ANOTHER question....How is the picture pack coming along, Mammoth?

Yeah, okay actually. There are 82 "Belts" at the moment although not every title will have an image because quite literally, there are some belts that have never had a picture taken of them but where applicable, they'll have an image one way or another. I think I noted it before but just to clarify, I won't be adding 'future titles' to the database but I will be adding a lot of the pictures so people can add them when they choose, therefore they'll make up most of the numbers in the picture pack. The "People" folder is up to 2,017 and I'd say pretty much 99% of the people in the database have a picture of some kind attached to them, whether that's a normal picture, a picture of one of their alter egos or a picture for an ager; nearly everyone has something you can use if you so desire. The other folders - as far as I can recall - haven't changed since the last preview I gave out.

For those of you wondering where the actual database is in terms of numbers, it's as follows: "Workers" are now up to 839, "Titles" are up to 96 (and Big Time Wrestling is now complete, so I'm now moving on to Big Time Wrestling (Detroit)) and "Title Lineages" are up to 1,530. So yeah, there are 28 companies in America - the only country I have left to do in terms of titles - and I'm two down, with 26 left to do. They're two of the biggest promotions too so hopefully some of the smaller promotions will have fewer titles and shorter lineages, thus allowing me to breeze through them a little quicker. :)

I'm really looking forward to seeing British peoples reactions to the moderation. As a Brit myself, I've always heard about how good British wrestling was during this time period and I've put a lot of work into the British scene - splitting up Joint Promotions like they should be - and as far as I'm aware, I'm the first person to do so, so hopefully fellow Brits are just excited about it as I am.

Are you putting in future companies?

Yeah, out of all the promotions in the database (which is 52), 19 of them are "Yet to Open" and as I recall, that's at least one promotion in every country except Australia so no matter what country you decide to play in, the game world will develop over time. Obviously, the likes of WWE or WCW aren't included because the promotions that are already open transitioned into those promotions.

One question. If memory serves, wrestling in Britain was contested under the "rounds" system, instead of falls. And the AWF (American Wrestling Federation) adapted that system for the American audience. How are you going to address that in this mod?

You cant use rounds system in TEW I think

Archived