[HYPE] Mega Powers Explode (January 1989)

http://i.imgur.com/ec5Ox9K.jpg

The Rock 'N' Wrestling Era is long gone, and the WWF is enjoying the fruits of its labor during the late stages of its Golden Age. The Mega Powers were formed in the fall of 1987, and have been the WWF's most popular act throughout the summer and fall of 1988, but could there be dissension in the ranks? Will the Mega Powers explode?

Meanwhile, in the wake of the WWF's expansion, Jim Crockett Promotions did all it could to expand the NWA, but in the end had to sell the company to Ted Turner, who rebranded Jim Crockett Promotions as World Championship Wrestling, or WCW for short. While they have a fight ahead of them, things seem to be looking up now that Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat has returned and has started a feud with NWA World Champion Ric Flair. Word on the street is that they may engage in a Best of 3 series of matches for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship.

The Dallas and Memphis territories (World Class and the CWA) have forged a working agreement, and were working in conjunction with the AWA. But that has fallen apart in the wake of SuperClash III. Rumor has it that WCCW and the CWA may merge into one company, but that remains to be seen. And the AWA is on its own once again, and it looks like they are pulling up the rear in North America, with no hope in sight of gaining even the NWA, much less the WWF.

And we can't forget about the rest of the world. Canada, Mexico and Japan seem to have a great crop of talent coming up; the tastes of wrestling fans in the UK seem to be changing as the WWF expands its horizons globally; and will anybody want to work in Puerto Rico after the horrific murder of Bruiser Brody at the hands of Jose Gonzalez?

I figured with Risky Business nearing completion, I would announce my next project. No release date will be set, and this is a pending project, as I'm unsure exactly when I'll start work on it. Hopefully I get it out before the next TEW! :p The start date will be January 1989, and I'll be leaving Randy Savage as a babyface. I figured that those who may play as the WWF would want to book the Royal Rumble, and who knows where someone could change history if Macho Man stays face. And much like Risky Business, this mod will use the nGo Generations pic pack that justtxyank just released.

This post will be updated constantly as I research to see what promotions were active in 1989. So if a company isn't on the list that you think should be on it, go ahead and feel free to let me know as it will be helpful, and I'll decide if they're worth putting in or not.

PROMOTIONS

Green=Completed, Red=Not Started, Blue=Being Worked On

WWF

WCW

AWA

CWA (Memphis)

CWA (Europe)

WCCW

EMLL

WWC

GLOW

AJPW

NJPW

AGPW

UWA

AJW

PNW (Pacific Northwest)

ASW (UK)

Stampede Wrestling

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH HERE WE GO.

Like I told you on Skype, this is the year of the WrestleMania that made me become a real wrestling fan. Looking extremely forward to this, can't wait!

Basically, I want to do the CM Punk type title run which was way more common back then. Have Savage retain at Mania, go on to win King of the Ring so he's Macho King(again) and World Champ. Maybe have Hogan on vacation for awhile or something to keep him happy while Savage gets his ridiculously long title run he deserves :p

That would be interesting. You could create Hollywood Hogan almost a decade early. Remember this is the year that the Academy Award winning movie "No Holds Barred" came out. Maybe Zeus could be brought in as Hogan's hired muscle. It probably would have been more watchable then putting him in the ring.

One angle I've had come to mind, depending on how the destiny roll went, would be to turn Hogan instead of Macho Man. Now wouldn't THAT have been interesting?! :eek:

Too be fair, even though Savage was a little over protective, Hogan did look like he was in the wrong in a lot of the angle. Since he was Hogan though, no one cared.

I know it wouldn't be for a few years more before Hogan got stale, but this would be a really interesting time to turn him.

• 5 weeks later...

OK, since I'm done (for now, lol) updating Risky Business (though I'm sure there will be small updates here and there along the way), I'm about ready to dive into making this mod. The good thing is that the bulk of the work on workers is done as I cleaned up the stuff that gets most overlooked, such as gimmick performance and physical stats. I'll of course have work to do to update their stats and pop to reflect the time period, as well as updating bios to reflect the time period, but hopefully this mod won't take as long to work on as Risky Business.

Now all that said, I'm debating as to what to name the company that would become WCW in the mod. The days of JCP are long gone as they sold to Turner in 1988. And while they were promoting the World Championship Wrestling name, they were often referring to themselves throughout 1989 as the NWA. And if you didn't remember that, Jim Ross was sure to remind you of that on commentary that they were the NWA, where they wrestled, so much so that you could make a drinking game out of it. :p So should I name it the NWA in the mod even though there were a few (though a scant few by this point) NWA territories? Or WCW since that was the name they would start branding themselves as about a year later?

How about calling it WCW but making it a part of an NWA alliance with whatever other NWA promotions you include. I think that would work.

It was definitely going to be part of the NWA alliance, so great minds thinking alike on that front. :D

And going ahead with the WCW name might be the best way to go since it's something simple that the user can change easily themselves if they want to.

Yeah, I think I would just call it WCW. It wasn't quite as evident at this point (from what I've watched) but in 1990 they were really making the push to change from being the NWA to being WCW.

The bigger issue, and this is one I think about with every pre-91 game, is what do you do about the titles? Do they stay the NWA World, US, etc. belts? How do you get rid of those without renaming them? This is why the alliance feature without alliance titles isn't set for historical accuracy. It is what it is for this point though.

Yeah, I think I would just call it WCW. It wasn't quite as evident at this point (from what I've watched) but in 1990 they were really making the push to change from being the NWA to being WCW.

The bigger issue, and this is one I think about with every pre-91 game, is what do you do about the titles? Do they stay the NWA World, US, etc. belts? How do you get rid of those without renaming them? This is why the alliance feature without alliance titles isn't set for historical accuracy. It is what it is for this point though.

I think what I might do is leave them as NWA belts because while they were pushing toward being WCW, they still valued the NWA name for their championship belts. Also, my second post that was set as reserved has now been updated with the list of active promotions (a list that I'm sure will see its share of changes).

Four year old TFC would have been devastated. :eek:

Let me know if you want me to run some tests with the data at any point. I'd be happy to help out.

Will do! :D

This was a hot year for NWA (WCW) and is arguably much hotter than WWF at this time in terms of wrestling action. Flair/Steamboat, Flair/Sting, Flair/Muta...hell just Flair vs The World.

NWA (WCW) was a lot of fun to watch during this time period. I still remember them giving away a tag team match pitting Ricky Steamboat and Lex Luger against Ric Flair and Michael Hayes away for free on one of their syndicated shows (I think Worldwide? been so long) for goodness sakes! :eek: I think they even gave away a lumberjack match that Mike Rotundo won (while he was still a heel) with some interference from Barry Windham before he (Windham) left for an all too brief stay in the WWF as the Widowmaker.

And while it wasn't a great year money wise for World Class, it was a fun year to watch their shows as well after Eric Embry took over the book. Sure he pushed himself, but he did make the rest of the card interesting as well. 1989 was just a great year to be a wrestling fan all around. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Four year old TFC would have been devastated. :eek:

Let me know if you want me to run some tests with the data at any point. I'd be happy to help out.

I would also like to be a tester, for sure.

WrestleMania V was the PPV that really made me become a real wrestling fan. I have a spot for it in my heart.

I would also like to be a tester, for sure.

WrestleMania V was the PPV that really made me become a real wrestling fan. I have a spot for it in my heart.

Done and done. :D I also liked that WrestleMania, too. I didn't have cable at the time, so my mother (she was divorced and had full custody) never got to order me the PPVs, and the video stores around here didn't start carrying wrestling home videos till around '89, so WrestleMania V was the first WrestleMania I got to see when the sainted mother took me to the video store and they had it available to rent. Plus, it always provides a great laugh when they go to Sean Mooney to try to interview the biggest Jake "The Snake" Roberts mark in history: "JAKE'S THE BEST! JAKE'S THE BEST! JAKE'S THE BEST!" xD

Any update on this? 1989 was one of my favorite years for WCW.

WWF is finished. Getting started on WCW. Took a bit of time off from it as I'm playing some personal game saves and doing the WCW 1997 Monday Nights Mean War diary.

Done and done. :D I also liked that WrestleMania, too. I didn't have cable at the time, so my mother (she was divorced and had full custody) never got to order me the PPVs, and the video stores around here didn't start carrying wrestling home videos till around '89, so WrestleMania V was the first WrestleMania I got to see when the sainted mother took me to the video store and they had it available to rent. Plus, it always provides a great laugh when they go to Sean Mooney to try to interview the biggest Jake "The Snake" Roberts mark in history: "JAKE'S THE BEST! JAKE'S THE BEST! JAKE'S THE BEST!" xD

Haha, I remember how I marked out hard when Demolition defeated The Powers of Pain...I still do so, and it is amazing how the pop that they received was put to shame on the following year...holy shit, how over were they...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived