Hollywood Hogan

Won: August 1996

Previous Champion: The Giant

WCW United States Champion

http://i.imgur.com/4fQzpid.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/N4IQWzd.jpg

Eddy Guerrero

Won: December 1996

Previous Champion: Ric Flair (vacated title due to injury)

WCW World Tag Team Champions

http://i.imgur.com/Soo6cTF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jOmBrIR.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/BzHl7IL.jpg

The Outsiders

Won: January 1997

Previous Champions: The Steiner Brothers

WCW World Television Champion

http://i.imgur.com/RMrTZ75.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5NhcwIU.jpg

"Lionheart" Chris Jericho

Previous Champion: Lord Steven Regal

WCW Cruiserweight Champion

http://i.imgur.com/s1ywMhj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Fv7FwQj.jpg

Dean Malenko

Previous Champion: Ultimo Dragon

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A hell of a week in WCW as four title changes happen, two big face turns, a huge debut in Curt Hennig, a massive main event announced for Superbrawl, and a Disco Inferno sighting! Personally I'd have probably gone with Hogan/Piper at SuperBrawl, as I think it would have been a better match (TEW grade-wise), but I can only hope that you prove me wrong!

A hell of a week in WCW as four title changes happen, two big face turns, a huge debut in Curt Hennig, a massive main event announced for Superbrawl, and a Disco Inferno sighting! Personally I'd have probably gone with Hogan/Piper at SuperBrawl, as I think it would have been a better match (TEW grade-wise), but I can only hope that you prove me wrong!

That thought crossed through my mind as well, but I want to hold off on that for a bit. Whether it's a title match because Hogan retains against the Giant, or whether it's a good old fashioned grudge match because Giant wins the title remains to be seen. Plus, since this game starts in January 1997, that means Giant hasn't received his title shot yet from winning World War 3, so I want to go ahead and get that taken care of.

The Fountain of Misinformation's Rumor Mill

What started as a crazy past couple of days turned into a crazy week as we had four title changes in the same week! For those of you keeping score, the first title change occurred at nWo Souled Out when Dean Malenko upended Ultimo Dragon for the Cruiserweight Title, with the second title change also occurring at Souled Out when the Steiners beat the Outsiders for the straps. Then the next night, the Outsiders regained the titles in a really good rematch, and on WCW Saturday Night, Chris Jericho upset Lord Steven Regal with some outside help from Bobby Eaton to become the new WCW World Television Champion. I like that WCW is starting to develop their undercard and not putting all their eggs into one nWo basket, and events such as Chris Jericho winning the TV Title, Jeff Jarrett working an angle with Steve McMichael, the cruiserweights getting TV time, Eddy Guerrero as the reigning US Champion, and the current push for Vicious & Delicious as they feud with Flair and Double A are all good signs of undercard development. After all, these are the workers of the future, and if they're allowed to shine now, then the fans will be able to buy them as main eventers when the Flairs, Hogans, Stings, Lugers, Double As, Macho Mans, Hennigs and Outsiders of the world all retire.

Word on the street is that Carl Oulette provoked Disco Inferno into a heated argument, allegedly ridiculing him that he (Disco Inferno) should be a jobber and allegedly saying that he's nothing more than a jobber because he's too soft and can't be taken seriously as a wrestler. Someone remind this numbskull that he used to play a pirate with zero heat. At least Inferno is eliciting some laughs for all the right reasons. It's too bad, too, because Carl Oulette does have some talent, but not as much as he'd like you to believe.

And speaking of rumors, I'm hearing WCW is loading up Nitro tomorrow by having more of their new signings show up tomorrow and putting them into some of the major storylines that are going on. And I'm STILL holding off on saying who they are because they're not 100% confirmed yet. Either that, or I don't like playing spoiler. Or maybe both! Speaking of contracts, I can confirm that Ultimo Dragon has now signed a written deal to appear exclusively for WCW from now on. Looks like the easier schedule, coupled with being able to tone down the physicality of his matches, convinced him to sign with WCW and bail on New Japan.

And finally, ECW is making strides as they had a stellar supercard this past weekend. ECW House Party played out in front of a sold out crowd at the Mid-Hudson Civic Center in Poughkeepsie, New York, and was headlined by a double main event. In the first half of the double main event, Shane Douglas defeated Tommy Dreamer, and in the other half, Raven successfully defended his ECW World Heavyweight Title against Taz. Overall, I give that show a 74, which is very good for a company of their size. That's it for today's posting! Be sure to tune in for Nitro tonight! Rumor has it there could be big doings going down with the Four Horsemen.

Excellent Nitro to follow up Souled Out. I now forgive you for the sin of Ultimo Dragon losing the title. :p

Did I or did I not tell you I had some plans for Ultimo? :D

Helluva roster of champions. :p

That's the beauty of WCW, the depth of their roster. This should be a helluva fun save! :D

I really do like the undercard development here. WCW ignored that part of their roster for too long, and when the stars they had started to wear out, they didn't have anything left to turn the ball to (and they squandered what little they did have).

Seriously, you could write a book on how WCW f'ed up....

I really do like the undercard development here. WCW ignored that part of their roster for too long, and when the stars they had started to wear out, they didn't have anything left to turn the ball to (and they squandered what little they did have).

Seriously, you could write a book on how WCW f'ed up....

I think RD Reynolds and Bryan Alvarez did. :p

And thanks for the kind words on the undercard development. I think that's what's got me enjoying this save so far, thinking of the potential angles and everything for not only those I already have under contract for the undercard, but the new signings I've made. The understood brand split has been a real life saver, too.

You've forgotten to engage the Syxx-sucks filter. No way that douchebag should ever be allowed to have a B- segment.:p

You're right. He should get A* rated segments. :p:D

Sorry, I've always been a Sean Waltman mark, dating back to when I first saw him in the GWF as the Lightning Kid and jumping from the top rope an over to his opponent by the staging area where Craig Johnson and Boni Blackstone would do their interviews. :o

http://i.imgur.com/yByGp9x.jpg

What a busy week in WCW! I think Souled Out turned out better than expected, and Nitro the next night came off well. It seems like we've finally lit a fire under the WWF because while watching Raw on the monitor backstage, I saw they got some big storylines going. Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart seem to have a strange bedfellows angle going on as they're having to set aside their differences to fight off the WWF World Tag Team Champions, Davey Boy Smith and Owen Hart. I wondered how the WWF could keep the Hart Family drama from getting stale, and I have to admit, that's one way to do it.

It appears that they're already pulling the trigger on Undertaker and Sid. I had it under good authority that they were going to square off at WrestleMania 13, but that could change now if they're starting the angle this early. Or maybe they're starting the build. Guess we'll find out soon. Mankind and Vader seem to be resuming their bitter feud from back when they were here in WCW, back when Mankind was Cactus Jack. I'm interested to see where they go with this now that they're doing this with the Mankind character, and with Paul Bearer thrown in. One storyline that has me scratching my head, though, is Ahmed Johnson going against Brian Pillman. Ahmed not that long ago was telling Faarooq and his Nation of Domination that they were going down, and Brian Pillman was kayfabe injured by Steve Austin, not to mention that whole "Pillman's Got a Gun!" episode of Raw. Maybe the WWF got so much backlash from it that they decided to kill the angle. Too bad, really. And this could be bad for Ahmed because Pillman will just kill him on the microphone.

Back to WCW matters. While we've signed a slew of new in-ring talent, we've also signed a couple of guys to help "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff behind the scenes to work as road agents. Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, a name synonymous with the WWF, the 80s, and most importantly, WCW, should help out tremendously. He is well respected in the industry, and he his knowledge of psychology should come in very handy. I also signed Kevin Von Erich to work as a road agent. He just about had given up the wrestling industry that tragically took away his brothers as he had become disenchanted with the business, but I showed him some recent tapes of what we have been doing and was able to convince him to sign on to help our talent put their matches together. Hopefully this will help in the healing process for him. Now to get ready for Nitro.

http://i.imgur.com/8L5aY7n.jpg

Monday Nitro

Monday Night, Week 3, January 1997

Rose Garden

Portland, Oregon

Announcers: Tony Schiavone, Bobby "The Brain" Heenan and Larry Zbyszko

Attendance: 15,000 (SELL OUT!)

Pre-Show Dark Match:

Konnan defeated Alex Wright in 9:21 by submission with a Tequila Sunrise.

Grade: C-

Main Show:

<iframe width="350" height="197" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Vr-BhzNx0bw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="350" height="263" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YQIKuK8nqZ4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hollywood Hogan, Eric Bischoff, Ted DiBiase and the Outsiders opened the show. They were bragging about how everything worked out last week, with the Outsiders regaining the WCW World Tag Team Titles and proclaiming that they just might retire as Tag Team Champions because they had been through all the top tag teams, and Hogan talked about how he didn't care what kind of match the Giant came up with for their big title showdown at SuperBrawl. They even said that someone must have already answered John Tenta's open challenge because they haven't seen him anywhere in the building tonight.

<iframe width="350" height="197" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z3R_Qu7QFUg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The nWo were none too happy when Rowdy Roddy Piper made his way down to the ring, microphone in hand. He announced that the WCW Championship Committee all agreed that with Eric Bischoff now assisting Ted DiBiase with operations in the New World Order, his being the Executive Vice President of WCW was now a conflict of interest, especially with how had abused his power by allowing the nWo to grow like they did, and threatening referees such as Randy "Pee Wee" Anderson with termination if they didn't show favoritism to the nWo, which most likely led to Nick Patrick's corruption because he had a family to feed, after all. Piper also mentioned that he knows what happened to Tenta: that he was found beaten up in his locker room and taken to a nearby medical facility, and he's pretty sure he knows who did it. But all that stops now because as of now, the WCW Championship Committee would be accepting applications for the position of WCW Commissioner, but until they could appoint one, then for the time being, Roddy Piper would be named the interim WCW Commissioner. The nWo protested, saying it was a conflict of interest, but Piper said that while he's commish, he'll be staying out of the ring, and his first act as interim commissioner was to book tonight's main event: Diamond Dallas Page vs. Scott Hall. But that was not all. Piper told the Outsiders that they hadn't quite beat all the tag teams in WCW yet...

<iframe width="350" height="197" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FRJj6aiNtpQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://i.imgur.com/SFlMiij.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/yk73C9u.jpg

The crowd came alive as the Road Warriors made their way to the ring, much to the shock and anger of Hollywood Hogan, Ted DiBiase, Eric Bischoff and the Outsiders. The nWo decided to think better of it and exit the ring when the Road Warriors entered the ring.

Grade: A

*Both Animal & Hawk debuted Power and Paint (Brute) gimmicks, rating 100 and 92 respectively.*

4 Corners Opposition Must Team Up

The Steiner Brothers and Harlem Heat drew with The Faces of Fear and Public Enemy in 8:14 when the match descended into chaos when all four teams began brawling with each other. Madusa, Sister Sherri and Jimmy Hart didn't help matters as they got involved in the match. During the match, it was announced by the broadcast team that these four teams would face off in a Four Corners Elimination Match at SuperBrawl to determine the #1 contenders to the WCW Tag Team Titles.

Grade: C

Backstage, Ric Flair called for a group meeting. Both he and Arn Anderson talked about how they were fed up with the high school antics of Jeff Jarrett, Steve McMichael and Debra McMichael, and Flair and Double A announce that Mongo and Jarrett were kicked out of the group, with Debra being guilty by association. Jarrett, McMichael and Debra all protested, with Mongo asking who could replace him, and Jarrett asking why he couldn't replace Mongo. But Ric Flair said that he had spoken and that we would find out who the newest Horseman was later tonight, and he, Double A, Chris Benoit and Woman left. Jeff Jarrett and Steve McMichael then started blaming each other, with Debra McMichael trying to play peacemaker. It should be noted that Benoit and Woman just stood in the background, not doing anything because they really didn't need to in this segment.

Grade: B-

Brad Armstrong defeated Mike Rapada in 4:03 by pinfall with a Russian Leg Sweep.

Grade: D-

Mean Gene Okerlund interviewed the Giant in the ring, and the Giant said that in the past, there had been steel cages; Thunderome cages; the Chamber of Horrors; and of course, the War Games cage. Well, at SuperBrawl, this cage would be like no other. It would be a giant cage that surrounded the ring and had a roof on top of it, and it was otherwise known as the Terror Dome! The only way to win would be by pinfall, submission, or if the referee just felt like he had no choice but to stop the bout.

Grade: B+

Juventud Guerrera defeated Rey Misterio Jr. in 10:26 by pinfall with a Juvi Driver after a distraction from his new manager, Sonny Onoo. At one point during the match, Onoo talked into the camera and said "Why need a dragon when I've got a warrior?"

Grade: D

Hogan, Bischoff, DiBiase, the Outsiders and Syxx were sitting around in the nWo's private lounge backstage, complaining about the recent events, with Hogan, Bischoff and DiBiase doing all the talking while Outsiders and Syxx talk amongst themselves. All of a sudden, there was a knock on the door, and Bischoff said to come on in.

http://i.imgur.com/PdRz9gG.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/ZyCUuim.jpg

Two young men introduced themselves as Adam Castle (on the left) and Christian Castle (on the right). They told the nWo that they were huge fans. Adam said "Yeah, the way you Outsiders whooped the Einsteiners butts totally reeked of awesomeness!" Christian then told Ted DiBiase that he grew up hoping he'd get to lose a match to Trillionaire Ted and get money stuffed in his mouth, but possibly getting to work for him as a member of the nWo would be even better and "just totally rule! Better than being a Power Ranger!" The nWo looked around at each other, nodded their heads and told them that they would meet with their financial advisor, V.K. Wallstreet about possibly hiring them on.

*Both Adam and Christian Castle debuted Lackey (Comedy) gimmicks, rating 89 and 100 respectively.*

Champion vs. Champion: No Titles On The Line, Only Pride

Eddy Guerrero vs. Dean Malenko

The broadcast team announced that Roddy Piper had made this match pitting the WCW United States Champion, Eddy Guerrero, against WCW Cruiserweight Champion, Dean Malenko, where neither man's title was on the line, just their pride in trying to prove who the better wrestler was. While it didn't have the fans going completely insane, they still appreciated this bout between Eddy Guerrero and Dean Malenko that ended in a 15 minute time limit draw.

Grade: C+

After coming back from commercial, Mean Gene was in the ring to interview the Four Horsemen. Ric Flair, Arn Anderson and Chris Benoit came out, with Flair and Double A doing all the talking. They talked about how the Four Horsemen began as a group of hungry men who wanted to dominate the industry, and how that tradition has carried on. They mentioned that the reason the Horsemen had endured for so long was because they knew how to evolve and adapt, and this newest acquisition was a great example of that. Flair said that this new member had the Horseman attitude of do whatever it takes, and knock out anyone who got in the way, even if it meant taking out your friends. Flair said this new member reminded him a lot of himself, and acknowledged that both he and Double A weren't getting any younger, and that one day, the Four Horsemen would need a new leader, and this man fit the bill. Flair said that we didn't need to wait any longer...

<iframe width="350" height="197" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CP9l-Eu9fDw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://i.imgur.com/0vM3vV3.jpg

Flair said "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome aboard Mr. Monday Night! Mr. Pay Per View! Mr. Horseman! Rob... Van... Dam!" While not everyone in attendance may have been as familiar with his work as those fans who watch ECW, RVD made sure to let everyone know who he was. He talked about what an honor it was to be named a Horseman, and said he wouldn't let Flair down and would exceed everyone's expectations, and why shouldn't he? He's Rob... Van... Dam! He's Mr. Monday Night, Mr. Pay Per View... Heck, he's the Whole Dam Show! Vicious & Delicious interrupted the proceedings from the stage area, with Buff Bagwell doing the talking and Scott Norton looked menacing. Bagwell told RVD to enjoy his time in the Horsemen while it lasted, because it would only be a matter of time before they dumped him when they felt he could be taking their spotlight. Bagwell then said "Heck, they did everything they could to knock me out of the rankings, and I wasn't even a Horseman!" RVD said that he could handle himself, and reminded Bagwell that the Horseman only double crossed those who double crossed them first. He then told Bagwell that one day, he and Norton would get the attention of the Outsiders, and asked them why was it they said they had beaten all the tag teams there were in WCW when they hadn't faced Vicious & Delicious yet. Bagwell and Norton seemed a bit miffed, thinking that RVD had a point, but Bagwell responded "They only said in WCW! They never said anything about having faced the great teams of the New World Order!" Flair and Double A wished Bagwell and Norton good luck, because they would need it at SuperBrawl.

Grade: B

*Rob Van Dam debuted a Cocky (Cool) gimmick, which rated at 94.*

Randy Savage defeated Kevin Sullivan in 9:13 by pinfall with a Flying Elbow Smash. During the match, Jacqueline had attacked Macho Man while he was down outside the ring, and Elizabeth returned the favor by tripping Sullivan when he was running the ropes. The finish saw Woman come out on to the stage area, which got Sullivan's attention, and blew him a kiss. Sullivan sneered at her, but the distraction allowed Macho Man to turn him around and hit him with series of quick jabs, throw him into the ropes and take him down with an inverted atomic drop followed by a running elbow. He then went to the top turnbuckle to hit his patented Flying Elbow Smash.

Grade: B

After coming back from commercial, Lex Luger came out to the ring, mic in hand, and said he couldn't wait for SuperBrawl to try and talk to his longtime friend, Sting. Luger talked about how nobody knew what was going on in Sting's mind and all they wanted was for him to say something, and for him to join the fight against the nWo. The lights went out in the building for what seemed like eternity (but was only about a minute), and then the lights came back on. Sting, baseball bat in hand, was standing across from Luger. Sting laid down his baseball bat and turned his back to Luger, outstretching his arms as a signal for Luger to do as he wished. Luger picked up the bat, looked down at it for a moment, then shook his head and handed the bat back to Sting. Luger tried to get the Stinger to say something, but he wouldn't budge as the lights went out, came back on moments later, and now he had vanished.

Chris Jericho was interviewed by Mean Gene Okerlund at the stage area about having won the WCW World Television Title this past weekend on WCW Saturday Night. Jericho said he was facing Regal in a rematch this coming Saturday Night. Mean Gene then asked him if he had any idea why V.K. Wallstreet came down to ringside to watch his match, and Jericho said he was trying to figure that out as well. Speaking of, out came Wallstreet to interrupt the proceedings. He said that while the New World Order was looking to be fiscally responsible, they weren't going to be out and out cheapskates. Heck, just a few minutes ago, he approved of the hirings of Adam and Christian Castle, who apparently wanted to name themselves Radically Awesome, which Wallstreet said he had no clue what it meant, but whatever. Wallstreet then told Jericho that he would keep scouting his matches to see if he would be a good fit for the New World Order. Wallstreet left, and Gene asked Jericho about it, and Jericho seemed to be at a loss for words as we went to commercial.

Diamond Dallas Page defeated Scott Hall in 10:38 when Scott Hall was disqualified when Syxx ran in and attacked Diamond Dallas Page. During the match we also had Kimberly distract Scott Hall when he talked some smack to her outside the ring. Syxx and Hall tried to beat down DDP, but he fought back and chased them out of the ring to close the show.

Final Grade: B+

Adam Castle is the name I give Edge in EVERY WCW game I run...including the one I'm working on for a diary right now. Copy cat :p

Their introduction was well done though. Very entertaining.

To be honest, I completely missed your diary. :o Think of it this way... great minds are thinking alike! :D

Another good Nitro, it's awesome how fast you've been churning out shows here! I shall now leave you some good thoughts I had from reading it.

Piper for interim commissioner is a good way to use him, as he probably is either in severe time decline or else just outright shouldn't be still going in the ring. As soon as you mentioned to me on skype yesterday about "a HUGE tag team you signed" I didn't let on because you said you wouldn't spoil it anyways, but I had a pretty good feeling it'd be the Warriors :) Outsiders vs RWs should be pretty huge, even though it won't be winning any "best worked match" awards by a long shot!

And the parade of #1 contenders matches begins! Hopefully you put these to use, unlike how IRL, WCW had a ton of Tag title contenders matches and then ignored them.

I will talk more about the Horsemen later in this, because I did already skim over this show before posting this, but kicking both Mongo and Jarrett to the curb is an inspired idea. McMichael really only ever seemed like a Horseman in name only, and while Jeff could have been a decent member due to his wrestling pedigree, he's not someone I would have booked into the group either.

I had to re-read this to see that the Terror Dome is a Hell in a Cell :p nice name, very WCW of you, lol.

Juvi getting the win over Rey is good, personally I used to like Guerrera better than Mysterio anyways. Too bad I couldn't get him more over in my War of the Thrones, proving that Hive must have made the 94 mod much too realistic as Rey gets over but Juvi doesn't :p I suspect Juventud vs Dragon will be on the SuperBrawl card soon enough.

The Castles is a very intriguing group for the nWo, I have a similar thing going with Devon King over in my universe so I approve. It does only make sense (even if TeflonBilly was the one who thought of it) that younger wrestlers would want to be with Hogan and company because they grew up loving these legends, and since the nWo is the coolest thing since sliced bread, they would idolize them even more. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

I'm guessing that you had some random notes such as having to keep people strong or maybe lowering the crowd's mood, because Eddy vs Dean only getting a C+ is a travesty. Hopefully you can run with this match again in the near future and get a better grade. It has not gone unnoticed the level of cruiserweights in the main title pictures, and that, while a great thing that WCW was trying to do at this time, will hopefully not fall through like what WCW did with it within the next few months.

Now, as for the Horsemen. To be honest, I can't see RVD as a Horseman. He is definitely an athlete who you could do big things with, and it's nice to see him get such a huge push right off the bat. But personally I think I'd have gone other routes with your fourth member. Rob just seems like he'd be too boisterous for the Horsemen, who are used to (Flair aside) being the ass kickers who back up their few words with more action. Flair is not the only mouthpiece of the group now, and that just feels odd. However, I get the idea of pushing the Horsemen to the next generation, and that's the part that is good about it. I will trust that you have good plans for this though.

A nice overbooked mess with Savage vs Sullivan, lol. Much like TFC, I could see Randy and Liz joining the nWo due to the pics you are using for them, but I also really like them as the loners in the war too.

I don't have much to say about Luger, but I will point out that I absolutely LOVE that Sting picture. I didn't even see it in the new pack until you posted it, but I think it's become one of my favorites. Great choice on that.

Jericho winning the TV title and then being watched by the nWo is more like I said, cruiserweights taking over more airtime. This can only be a good thing, as in the future that means they get more over and can become more recognizable faces.

A solid main event closes a solid show. It's not exactly "crash TV" but it's very reminiscent of how WCW were booking to have enough shocks to keep fans tuning in for the whole show rather than flipping back and forth so they didn't miss anything.

I like the fountain of misinformation posts, and Eric's rundown of what the WWF are doing was a nice look into the other side of the fence.

Great job here Matt!

Thanks for the kind words, Beej, and all your thoughts (especially some of the ideas you pitched to me on Skype yesterday that I won't reveal yet here). As for RVD as a Horseman, I definitely know where you're coming from. I debated it myself, but after seeing Final Countdown bringing Chris Jericho into the Four Horsemen (he's where I drew the inspiration from), I figured if he'll be able to pull it off, then I'm sure I can figure out a way to pull it off. And RVD was no slouch in the ass kicking department. But as you said, the next generation of the Horsemen is the direction I'm going for. Arn Anderson is in time decline, so I figured now is the time to pull the trigger.

As for Eddy vs. Dean, I can't remember if I used a Keep Strong note or not, but they're both in the C range for their popularity, so that could've been a factor. Right now I've set the product to be a Pop>Performance fed, and set, I want to say it was Daredevil, to Low instead of Medium so that I could lower the match danger (especially for workers such as Hogan, Piper, Savage, etc.), so that could've had something to do with it too, not 100% sure. The final grade was a 67, so if they're pop was just a bit higher, I'm sure the grade would've been better.

And no need to worry. I won't be forgetting about the #1 contenders like I did about John Tenta's open challenge. :p That's why I added in the bit about him being beaten down before the show started. And you were right about Piper. It's not severe time decline yet, but the signs are showing, so I figured I'd start the transition now. I set some of my decline workers to be not assigned a push yet to see who all is in decline, and Jacques Rougeau is in decline as well.

Well WCW wasn't lying when they said they had some big surprises in store last night. We kick off with Rowdy Roddy Piper being named interim WCW Commissioner (which already has me wondering who the full time commish will be revealed to be); the Road Warriors returned and look to be entering a program with the Outsiders; the debuts of Adam and Christian Castle (who are now referring to themselves as Radically Awesome); and the debut of Rob Van Dam, and named as a Horseman to boot. I'm not sure how that will work out. Certainly RVD can fit in better than Paul Roma, right?!

I enjoyed the debuts of Radically Awesome, as well. I liked the 90s references, and they showed a side to their personality that they haven't really shown on the indies when Adam was wrestling as Sexton Hardcastle, and Christian as Christian Cage. I can definitely see them one day being WCW World Tag Team Champions, and there's just something about Adam Castle that screams future Starrcade headliner. And while I may not be completely sold on RVD being in the Horsemen, I did enjoy the humorous manner in which Steve McMichael was kicked out, and Jeff Jarrett not being considered anymore. Mongo may not be all that great of a worker, but I have to admit, I'm enjoying this comedic angle he's doing with his wife Debra and his heel foil, Jeff Jarrett.

Larry Zbyszko stepped aside from commentary, begrudgingly making way for Curt Hennig during the Macho Man/Kevin Sullivan match. Hennig's banter with Bobby Heenan was a riot as they reminisced about making Randy and Liz's life a living hell back in the day, then the awkward silence from Heenan that followed when Curt kept laughing and said "And remember how I decided to team up with the guy?!" was pure gold. And from what they said on commentary, Hennig is now under what they were referring to (no doubt as a way to keep kayfabe) as a competitor's contract where he can compete in WCW sanctioned matches, but he's still a free agent, yet to reveal who he's aligning himself with.

My buddy as always watched Raw. Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart took part in backstage vignettes, one where Bret and Owen got into a fight backstage and had to be separated, and the other with Shawn and Davey Boy having to be separated. Vince seems to have given up on the Fake Razor/Fake Diesel experiment already as Fake Diesel lost to Phineas Godwinn, and Fake Razor was nowhere to be seen. There was a satellite interview between Undertaker and Sycho Sid; Ahmed Johnson beat Leif Cassidy with Brian Pillman on commentary; Hunter Hearst Helmsely beat Blackjack Bradshaw again, this time in a non-title bout; Owen Hart fought the Undertaker to a no contest as just about everybody interfered, from Bret to Sid to Davey to Shawn; and Sid defeated Mankind thanks in part to Vader. That's it for today's posting!

OOC: I forgot to mention Curt Hennig being on commentary for Randy Savage vs. Kevin Sullivan in the Nitro post, so that's why I've mentioned it here in this post.

Sean Waltman was good, but once he joined DX, he was a shell of himself. For a 30 year wrestling fan, there is a really short list of people I despised watching (not their characters just the wrestlers), and Syxx was one of them. I hated him in DX and really hated him in the nWo. I mean X-Pac Heat was named after the guy. When you get a specific insult named after you, you know you were hated by a large # of people, and not in a good way.

If you were doing early 90's Sean Waltman, fine, but Syxx should have a suck filter on him that caps his stuff at C-.

I debated it myself, but after seeing Final Countdown bringing Chris Jericho into the Four Horsemen (he's where I drew the inspiration from), I figured if he'll be able to pull it off, then I'm sure I can figure out a way to pull it off.

That guy's one smart individual.

RVD definitely brings the cool factor, and he can obviously go in the ring. I'd say he is at least as good a fit for the Horsemen as Benoit, and definitely more than Mongo.

That guy's one smart individual.

RVD definitely brings the cool factor, and he can obviously go in the ring. I'd say he is at least as good a fit for the Horsemen as Benoit, and definitely more than Mongo.

As another mouthpiece for the Horsemen, you also set up a potential breakup angle down the line. If Van Dam gets over with the crowd, Flair could easily grow jealous and kick him out of the Horsemen (who's primary goal is to either keep the belt on Flair or protect Flair) and set up a potential star-making program for Van Dam, ala Sting & Flair in the late 80s.

http://i.imgur.com/yByGp9x.jpg

Overall I'm pleased with how things went down on Nitro, though I think we could have done better. I think DDP will be a main eventer in the future for sure, but maybe he's just not ready at this moment. The possibilities are going through my mind right now on how to get him to that next level. And while I was pleased that we won the ratings by a score of 3.5 to 2.6, I can't help but wonder if we were off just a little bit this week as we lost a point and the WWF gained a point. I have to admit, their storylines right now are pretty intriguing. But now is not the time to panic. When WCW was owned by Turner's media conglomerate, panicking and changing directions at the drop of a hat was standard procedure.

But now that I have purchased WCW with the help of my consortium (which I'm paying my debts off to so that I won't lose the company), I don't have to worry about panicking. I can stay the course, and stay the course I will because we've got some great young talent now: Radically Awesome; Chris Jericho; Eddy and Chavo Guerrero Jr.; Juventud Guerrera; Rey Misterio Jr.; Chris Benoit and Rob Van Dam. Add to that the signing of veteran tag team the Road Warriors, who I plan to use to help bolster the tag division. And I managed to sign one more current ECW wrestler away, who's debuting this coming WCW Saturday Night, as well as another luchador from AAA who is no stranger to Rey Misterio Jr. Cannot wait.

http://i.imgur.com/rMnLFvo.jpg

WCW Saturday Night

Center Stage Theater

Atlanta, Georgia

Attendance: 1,000 (Sell Out!)

Random incidents:

Carl Oulette missed a meeting with a road agent, was given a stern warning and replied saying "Yeah, whatever."

====================================================

The Armstrongs defeated The Amazing French Canadians in 12:21 when Steve Armstrong defeated Carl Oulette by pinfall with a quick roll up.

Mean Gene Okerlund interviewed Lord Steven Regal, who put over his long time friend Squire David Taylor as someone who unlike Bobby Eaton, has not let him down. Mean Gene made note that there was another young man standing by with Regal and Taylor, and Regal put over that it was another long time friend of his from over in the UK, Doc Dean. Regal put over how Doc Dean complemented Taylor and himself perfectly because while they ground and pound, Doc Dean can hit you from out of nowhere in the air. Mean Gene asked just what exactly made Doc Dean a blue blood, and Regal declared that they were not the Blue Bloods. Regal said that what he was building was an empire... the United Empire.

*Doc Dean debuted Old School Heel (Realistic) gimmick, rating an 84.*

Prince Iaukea defeated Joey Maggs in 6:08 by pinfall with a Flying Cross Body off the top rope.

Grade: E+

We went to a pre-recorded promo that looked to be in a dark lair, where James Vandenberg put over his client Mortis, and his newest find, Hugh Morrus, who proceeded to cut a crazy promo and laugh hysterically.

Grade: D+

We saw a Monday Nitro recap video featuring the events that involved Hollywood Hogan, Eric Bischoff, the Outsiders, Roddy Piper, the Road Warriors and Rob Van Dam.

The Faces of Fear defeated Mike Rapada and Billy Kidman in 4:50 when Meng defeated Mike Rapada by submission with a Tongan Death Grip.

Mean Gene interviewed Alex Wright, who was interrupted by Disco Inferno. Disco challenged Wright to Dance Contest on Nitro, and Wright accepted.

Grade: C

We go backstage, where we see Rowdy Roddy Piper talking to Ted DiBiase, who is informed that the nWo is booked tonight. DiBiase asked which nWo members were booked tonight, and Piper says Syxx and the newest members, Radically Awesome. DiBiase then asked against who, and Piper told him he would find out later tonight when they got to the ring, which DiBiase was not very happy about.

Super Calo and Chavo Guerrero Jr. defeated United Empire members Squire David Taylor and Doc Dean in 7:59 when Chavo Guerrero Jr. pinned Doc Dean after a Tornado DDT thanks in part to a distraction from Bobby Eaton.

Grade: D+

We went to the SuperBrawl Control Center with Mean Gene Okerlund, who ran down the card so far for SuperBrawl. We saw pre-recorded promos from the Giant and Hollywood Hogan, putting over the Terror Dome. Mean Gene also placed heavy emphasis on how interim WCW Commissioner Roddy Piper had booked the Outsiders against the Road Warriors with the WCW World Tag Team Titles at stake.

We went to another pre-recorded promo, this time from the locker room as Kevin Sullivan stood by with Jacqueline, who just stood there in the background, putting her hands on Sullivan, massaging him, etc. Sullivan talked about how while the Dungeon of Doom was no longer, he persevered and would continue to make Chris Benoit's life a living hell for what he did by stealing Woman. Sullivan then revealed he had taken somebody under his wing that at one time looked up to Chris Benoit, but now was ashamed to had ever been a fan of his...

http://i.imgur.com/MiVQfdD.jpg

In walked Lance Storm, who didn't say a word. Sullivan took care of that, putting over how Storm has been where Benoit had been, and would be able to help him in his destruction of Chris Benoit. Kevin Sullivan declared that at SuperBrawl in their I Quit Match, he would make Benoit utter those words for the first time in his career.

*Lance Storm has debuted an Old School Heel (Realistic) gimmick, rating at 94*

nWo members Syxx and Radically Awesome defeated Jim Duggan, Scotty Riggs and La Parka in 11:19 when Syxx pinned Scotty Riggs after using a roll of quarters handed to him by Christian Castle while the ref was distracted with Riggs.

Backstage, interim Commissioner Piper was talking to Bobby Eaton and warned him that if he interfered in the TV Title rematch tonight like he did the tag match costing Squire Dave Taylor and Doc Dean a victory, he'd be suspended. Eaton said he understood and just wanted to send a message to Regal and company for how they treated him.

WCW World Television Championship

Chris Jericho defeated Lord Steven Regal in 14:02 by pinfall after hitting him with the Lionsault.

Chris Jericho retains the WCW World Television Championship

After the match, V.K. Wallstreet came out to the ring and approached Chris Jericho about joining the nWo. Jericho didn't know what to say as Wallstreet told him he'd give him till this Monday night to think about it.

Final Grade: B-

So while nothing ground breaking happened on Saturday Night (which is usually par the course save for last week when Jericho won the TV Title), I wouldn't call it a bad show by any means. It was nice to see James Vandenberg putting over how he has now taken Hugh Morrus under his wing since the demise of the Dungeon of Doom. Hugh Morrus is a decent worker with better psychology than people tend to give him credit for as he can help lead younger workers through a match. Maybe not match of the year candidates, but he can get a rookie through his first match without it looking like dog you know what.

SuperBrawl is looking to be a stacked card. We've got Hogan vs. Giant for the WCW Title inside the Terror Dome; Outsiders defending the WCW Tag Titles against the Road Warriors; Ric Flair and Arn Anderson against Vicious & Delicious; Randy Savage taking on Curt Hennig; Kevin Sullivan going up against Chris Benoit in an I Quit Match (and I wonder how Lance Storm will factor into that match now); a four corners match to determine the #1 contenders for the WCW Tag Titles (my money's on the Faces of Fear); DDP against Syxx; and this past weekend on Saturday Night, they announced a six man ladder match for the WCW Cruiserweight Championship! Dean Malenko vs. Chavo Guerrero Jr. vs. Super Calo vs. Juventud Guerrera vs. Rey Misterio Jr. vs. Ultimo Dragon! Now that's a match I can't wait to see!

And speaking of cruiserweights, apparently WCW has announced the signing of Psicosis from AAA. I've seen some tapes of him during his time in ECW, and have seen some lucha tapes, and I cannot wait for him to come in. Oh, and apparently there are two more matches to be announced for SuperBrawl as both Eddy Guerrero and Chris Jericho are rumored to be defending their US and TV Titles respectively on the card. Cannot wait for February to get here! That's all for today's posting, folks!

Archived