Would anyone be interested in a modern day mod where we vote and discuss stats?

I probably should have changed the title....

Let me first just state that I am not criticizing the efforts that the mod authors go through to use up their spare time to provide us the ability to play real world games of TEW 2013. It's amazing that people would even do that. This thread could even act as a resource to some of them.

Basically my intentions with this will be to hold daily stat and popularity submissions and then average the submissions. The stats will all be available in one place to look at so improvements can be made. This is mostly based off trying to lessen the subjectivity of stats and gain a general consensus on what they should be. Also I think it would just be interesting to see people's opinions on wrestlers anyway :). I'll probably make a mod or update another if enough progress has been made.

I just need to know if people think this is redundant or if they would be interested in participating.

The problem with people offering their suggestion for stats is that most players have no idea how the game properly behaves when you're supposed to make a good mod. It's pretty much universally accepted amongst mod makers that "too many cooks in the kitchen" applies exceptionally well into modding in TEW. This is not to discourage you, but to offer a realistic point of view into the conversation.

The problem with people offering their suggestion for stats is that most players have no idea how the game properly behaves when you're supposed to make a good mod. It's pretty much universally accepted amongst mod makers that "too many cooks in the kitchen" applies exceptionally well into modding in TEW. This is not to discourage you, but to offer a realistic point of view into the conversation.

Yep, that is definitely a problem. Luckily there is a good guide to help with that along with the average of submissions not being the definite decision, just something to base it off of. To be honest, I don't really expect this to go well but if there is enough participants with knowledge about the game we might create some realistic and balanced stats.

Very much this. Not to say it won't work but it just seems highly likely to end up in an argument over something rather pedantic. The Star Quality of John Cena or Randy Orton, the Selling of Dolph Ziggler, Charisma of Lance Storm, etc. The fundamental problem is that attributes are subjective. And wrestling is something that many of us are passionate about, so it becomes difficult to be purely objective, especially when its a worker we strongly like or dislike.

The second problem is that looking too intimately at individual workers ends up overlooking a key aspect - the scaling of a worker to the company, as discussed in this thread. This should be done both in terms of popularity and skill. Otherwise, you can up having everyone at midcard and above with inflated skills, particularly Performance skills. And that means that unless other areas of the workers are nerfed to compensate, then having a roster full of workers with B or better Psychology and good Popularity is gonna result in a whole lot of high match grades.

Very much this. Not to say it won't work but it just seems highly likely to end up in an argument over something rather pedantic. The Star Quality of John Cena or Randy Orton, the Selling of Dolph Ziggler, Charisma of Lance Storm, etc. The fundamental problem is that attributes are subjective. And wrestling is something that many of us are passionate about, so it becomes difficult to be purely objective, especially when its a worker we strongly like or dislike.

The second problem is that looking too intimately at individual workers ends up overlooking a key aspect - the scaling of a worker to the company, as discussed in this thread. This should be done both in terms of popularity and skill. Otherwise, you can up having everyone at midcard and above with inflated skills, particularly Performance skills. And that means that unless other areas of the workers are nerfed to compensate, then having a roster full of workers with B or better Psychology and good Popularity is gonna result in a whole lot of high match grades.

If it ends up in that kind of argument (which it will many times) I think we will just settle it in a specialized vote and close discussion on that particular stat. There will be no way to avoid arguments over stats if this even picks up momentum and I wont continue if this goes poorly. I'm hopeful that a lot of experienced users like yourself would participate as well as anyone experienced with the game, particularly the C-Verse.

I'll be sure to emphasize the importance of reading that guide because understanding the game is obviously critical. I believe I have read it twice before so I'm good there :). Although, some of the stat suggestions in there might be a bit dated coming from two years ago.

I also really want to try to take some inspiration from the C-Verse (I'll get more into this later) with a few things since its basically tailor made for the game. I think comparing some workers with C-Verse workers could help a bit with fitting the real world into the game(probably using TCW or CGC as n influence for WWE instead of SWF).

I've always wondered if a website like the PES Stats Database (http://pesstatsdatabase.com/) would work with TEW. It would allow people to submit their own stats for workers and give aspiring mod makers something to look at when struggling for what a stat should be set at, so they can use it help make their own minds up.

EDIT: In fact is people thought something like this would be a good idea, I wouldn't mind taking on the project myself. Could probably have something set up within a week.

I've always wondered if a website like the PES Stats Database (http://pesstatsdatabase.com/) would work with TEW. It would allow people to submit their own stats for workers and give aspiring mod makers something to look at when struggling for what a stat should be set at, so they can use it help make their own minds up.

EDIT: In fact is people thought something like this would be a good idea, I wouldn't mind taking on the project myself. Could probably have something set up within a week.

It seems like the kind of thing that could be a great help for mod makers who might not have as much depth of knowledge across the entire game world, but may know their way around stats. Which is basically where I stand in the real world... I know a few companies pretty well, but I don't know the entire world. If there were a data source with all the basic information on most workers, combined with a good way to get a rough guide on a worker's main strengths and weaknesses then I could see that being a fantastic way for any mod maker to be able to expand their ability to put together a mod. :)

It seems like the kind of thing that could be a great help for mod makers who might not have as much depth of knowledge across the entire game world, but may know their way around stats. Which is basically where I stand in the real world... I know a few companies pretty well, but I don't know the entire world. If there were a data source with all the basic information on most workers, combined with a good way to get a rough guide on a worker's main strengths and weaknesses then I could see that being a fantastic way for any mod maker to be able to expand their ability to put together a mod. :)

Yeah, I see it as a rough guide rather than gospel. The mod maker doesn't know what to rate wrestler x in stat y? He can check the database and see what others have rated them.

How should the website work? I'm thinking either as a wiki or forum, but undecided on which.

Ive got as close as speaking to web designers on this very concept a website where people submit there stats and it works out on average what the masses think. This would filter out the people who vote 0 for Cena or Reigns because they do not like the push they get etc...

But it costs money when you dont know how to code and I could not explain to my fiancee why it was a good idea to spend £500 on a website :p

The original PES site was just a forum. There was a standard template that users used and just made new threads for their players. It's a simple way to work it, but with a good moderation team it'd be easy to police those that submit "joke" entires.

I have been searching for an open source web database but I have found none that seem to be what we'd want, and I don't have the time to write it myself (second baby comes in two weeks :D). If anyone can find a good open source web database that allows people to just sign up and post that'd be great, if not then I think a forum system would be something to take into consideration. If we can get an idea thrashed out then I'll be happy to set it all up and front the costs myself.

I've been giving this a lot of thought lately... while it would be awesome to have a complex website capable of being able to work out stats absed on what users submit and whatnot, keeping it simple sounds like the only real way to do it just now.

With that in mind, having a forum for each company, where each of those companies has an entry for each of their workers would be a good thing. The WWE forum would have an entry for John Cena, Randy Orton, etc... with all their basic info on there (birthday, race, etc) and users would submit stats for each of those workers. With a template in place for each, we could all score workers on a 0-10 scale to keep things relatively simple and to avoid arguments about individual scores. In particular I'd be looking to try and have an improved focus on gimmick performance ratings, since I've noticed most real world mods have generally used the samem base and therefore often have the same issues with regards dealing with gimmicks in game.

As we move down to smaller companies and lesser known workers, we would need to have more variable local popularity spikes needed. These would help to ensure that a mod plays out more realistically and help to make smaller regional scenes feel more important.

And as workers move from company to company, assuming we all have the numbers worked out fairly well, this should lead to a pretty strong and dynamic base for all the stats and workers. If we get the scaling done right, it should help to ensure that workers moving between companies don't see many issues. And if there were enough people willing to take part they could regularly update a worker's stats within the same worker thread, which I think would be a great way to highlight how a worker is getting better over time and open up the ability to make several scenarios for many mod makers. :D

This is something I'd be willing to try helping with when I have more time, I've always wanted to be able to make a real world mod but I've never had complete enough knowledge of wrestling below the highest levels. With this kind of data to hand, I feel like awesome mods could be made and with one very strong base mod (that could be made from the info on this site) we could perhaps make the greatest real world mod since Adam used to make EWR mods back in the day. :D

• 1 month later...

Archived