Need Cult Level advice

I have taken my Fed from Zero to Cult and now I have some questions. Normally I only run the larger Feds so this transition is new to me.

Should I start offering out Written deals or stick with the PPV deals?

I currently run one Big Show a month and will obviously try to get those turned into PPV shows if I can get a contract.

I have 1 TV show that is an A Show which is 1 hour long. Can I add a 2nd show? Should I try to make this show longer or move up to a bigger network? Current network is Medium coverage.

Any other suggestions or warnings would be great! I know the Regional Wars are going to make it really tough.

<p>If you've got tv, then get to written contracts as soon as possible, at least for the talent you use a lot. It's a lot cheaper than paying for five appearances each month, and protects them from being stolen. Lower talents who don't get used a lot can probably stay, depending on how the math goes.</p><p> </p><p>

I don't think you can get a second show until National, and I think you need to be high cult to get ppv. People will only sign written contracts if you have a large back balance and good momentum; they have to be convinced you'll make it before they commit to your company.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Sudo_Nym" data-cite="Sudo_Nym" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="39878" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>People will only sign written contracts if you have a large back balance and good momentum; they have to be convinced you'll make it before they commit to your company.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> This was true in TEW2010, but it is not the case for TEW2013. You can sign people to written deals the second you make the jump to Cult. There are no other requirements.</p>

I've done a couple of 000 feds. The biggest key is not going overboard with written deals. I would say maybe 26% of your roster. You really don't want to do much more than that. Only sign the people that you're going to use on every show. Otherwise ppa is usually cheaper. Shorter tv shows are good for the reason: you have less time to fill meaning less workers you need to use. Hell, even in National feds I usually only do 90 minutes.

Personally I always stayed at one because the only way I could justify going 90 minutes is if I had extra talent I had plans for. If you have plans for workers that are hard to fit into the 1 hour then a 90 minute show may be for you. It all depends on your personal plans IMO.

<p>Agree with Devin. It ultimately comes down to money. You don't get more money for longer shows, but you do pay more for the extra talent to fit into that 30. If your sponser money offsets the cost of talent, and you use that hour productively then sure.</p><p>

I usually go 90 once I build up the pop of my written guys to carry the grades then I sign young, cheap guys to written deals to push up the card and build into top draw guys.</p>

Yeah, actually if you look at it, you need to run 6 shows per month for Written deals to pay off so if you're running 5 shows (4 TV + 1 big show), you'll actually be paying more than their PPA. Basically, if you think the people will be stolen, go ahead and do it. Also, make sure you sign them on the first couple of days of the month so you don't pay them their PPA for the TV show AND their written deal. You need all the money you can get at Cult.

Yeah, that's the elephant in the room. Money.

When you're at low Cult, you'll be losing it hand over fist. All your fixed costs are going up by a LOT, you're running those TV shows that hardly pay, and the temptation to sign lots of workers to expensive written contracts. And, with all your workers' popularities rocketing up from the national exposure TV brings, and the larger shows you can now put on, believe me, they WILL be expensive when it's time to re-negotiate contracts.

The usual advice about hitting Cult is: Don't do it, restrict yourself to regional if you must, unless you have a well-filled war chest. If you have five million in the bank, you should be able to pull through and reach the lofty realms of high Cult, staring at National. Where nice things like PPV deals become available.

If you're not rich, but willing to try and tough it out, it's cost-cutting you're looking at. The only people you should sign to written deals for now are people absolutely ESSENTIAL for your plans for the coming year. And people who aren't very popular right now whom you plan to push to the moon.

Are you over your minimun roster size? Cut some people. Any personalities you're employing who are not currently contributing significantly to your show ratings through angles? Fire them. Do you have more than two referees, more announcers than a play-by-play and a colour guy, or more than one road agent? Firing time!You're going to need your roster at the leanest and meanest you can get it to get through the times ahead. In six months, or twelve, you'll hopefully be in a position to re-hire people you had a long-term plan, but no short-term use, for.

As for extending the TV show? it's a no-go, unless you're VERY rich. More matches and angles means more people getting a payday. Nice for them, until you go bankrupt...

I've been Cult for 9 months now, I was losing anything between $20,000 and $50,000 a month. (I made the mistake of signing all my workers on written contract, although I have stiff competition and didn't want anymore stolen). I run a TV show and a PPV. I decided to run a second PPV a month and now I'm in profit every month by about $16,000. It's not much, but it keeps my head above water.

The biggest thing I'm struggling with now is gaining popularity every month. I'm getting show ratings between 55 and 65, which I know isn't good enough. Any advice?

I've been Cult for 9 months now, I was losing anything between $20,000 and $50,000 a month. (I made the mistake of signing all my workers on written contract, although I have stiff competition and didn't want anymore stolen). I run a TV show and a PPV. I decided to run a second PPV a month and now I'm in profit every month by about $16,000. It's not much, but it keeps my head above water.

The biggest thing I'm struggling with now is gaining popularity every month. I'm getting show ratings between 55 and 65, which I know isn't good enough. Any advice?

Performance or popularity based product?

Popularity.

I have a lot of youngsters all over the card, between the age of 20-27 who I think are gonna be HOT, once they reach their peak. The future looks bright as long as I can get through the latest slump in the industry (and economy).

That bright future might be part of what is holding you back. With a popularity based promotion, even the most promising worker is going to be of limited value until they have the popularity required to actually add to your show. Its a catch 22 - they can't help you until you build them up, but the process of building them up can hold you back if you aren't really careful.

Popularity based promotions can be easy street.... once you have workers with enough popularity. You want to build your show around strong angles. That can be easy if you have a lot of workers capable of pulling off strong angles and impossible if you don't. Look at your roster and see who can give you strong angles. Look for talkers (with some popularity) and high Menace. Managers are an extra expense, but they can be a real driver in angles if they have the skills. If you really don't have anyone on the roster who can deliver good angles, that is a problem unto itself.

That bright future might be part of what is holding you back. With a popularity based promotion, even the most promising worker is going to be of limited value until they have the popularity required to actually add to your show. Its a catch 22 - they can't help you until you build them up, but the process of building them up can hold you back if you aren't really careful.

Popularity based promotions can be easy street.... once you have workers with enough popularity. You want to build your show around strong angles. That can be easy if you have a lot of workers capable of pulling off strong angles and impossible if you don't. Look at your roster and see who can give you strong angles. Look for talkers (with some popularity) and high Menace. Managers are an extra expense, but they can be a real driver in angles if they have the skills. If you really don't have anyone on the roster who can deliver good angles, that is a problem unto itself.

Thanks.

I have about 3 or 4 workers with high menace, about the same amount with microphone and charisma, and 1 or 2 with star quality.

I've always preferred to be more match based vs angles, but I think I may need to bite the bullet for a year or two and have more angles.

Edit: I've just tried changing my TV match ratio to 70% (from 80%), but it say I'll alienate too many current fans. What can I do? I'm tempted to make Mainstream a "Heavy" part of my product, but it means the introduction of Storylines, which I didn't really want to get into yet.

Thanks.

I have about 3 or 4 workers with high menace, about the same amount with microphone and charisma, and 1 or 2 with star quality.

I've always preferred to be more match based vs angles, but I think I may need to bite the bullet for a year or two and have more angles.

Edit: I've just tried changing my TV match ratio to 70% (from 80%), but it say I'll alienate too many current fans. What can I do? I'm tempted to make Mainstream a "Heavy" part of my product, but it means the introduction of Storylines, which I didn't really want to get into yet.

Pop based product requires time to build up young guys. Just make sure your future cornerstones are on every show getting over in some way and you'll be golden.

Angles are an easy way to get ratings if you don't have popular guys that can work a solid match.

You can always use the editor!

Thanks.

Storylines are the single best way to increase momentum, and by proxy a bit of popularity, in workers. You should be using them religiously at Cult and should have been using them at Regional. Trust me, they are worth it.

Uh oh, danger...danger...danger. If you're getting show ratings that low, you don't want to up Mainstream at all. By all means, run storylines to your hearts content because they're great, but you have to have 3 storylines at 53+ or get dinged every single show that they aren't. You can turn that off in the editor though. Honestly, that is one of the worst things in the game imho because you end up having to book a certain way just to keep that rating up. Well, I know I have to so there, and that's without worrying about using them to build up your midcard which probably can't hit that level.

You really only need your top 2 faces and your top 2 heels on written deals.

I usually will sign a bunch of young guys to 10 year under 2k a month deals.

Since you are on tv those guys will be bargins with cautious booking.

When i get to cult i usually will hold 9 shows a month 2 weekly events and 1 ppv type show(even if it is not a ppv yet). Not sure what your exact situation is but i would rather invest in a regen for less than 2k a month then that guy who was a midcarder at one time who is past 30 and wants a lot more money. Even bad workers when they are young if they get enough work will become acceptable. If they guy has 90+ selling or is a great locker room guy they are the keepers for me. Basically guys who are cheap but not good at selling or the locker room are the low midcard and below they will lose pretty much every match. If they are good locker room guys they will beat the guys who aren't. If they have great selling (or another reason i think they are worth trying to get over) They become the jobbers to stars and usually only lose at the big monthly events. Expand your talent when you can afford to do so shortlist guys but you don't need to hire them.

Okay, you don't like bothering with storylines. And you like to focus on matches over angles. Also, you're trying to build a lot of young talent.

Why the heck are you running a popularity-based product?

All your stated preferences would be better served with a performance-based one.

Archived