Windows 10 Upgrade Available

LoganRodzen

I wrote this today after doing a bunch with Windows 10. I thought I'd share with all of you.

How I Tricked Windows to Let Me Upgrade Early

Midnight rolled around and like many I was waiting for a pop-up letting me know my upgrade was ready. I sat and sat, nothing happened. I had noticed the files preloaded onto my C drive a few days prior to the 29th because I always have the hidden folders shown. I even stumbled across an .exe setup file which wouldn't load. Doing research months prior while setting up a virtual machine with the Windows 10 Insider Preview, I knew that insiders would get the update before anyone else. Now, I have an insider account and that's how I did the virtual machine, but I didn't do it on my main machine. Which meant I wouldn't get the update before anyone else who reserved it through the free upgrade app in Windows 7/8.

I decided to play around like I usually do. I made a quick backup with Google Drive with documents that didn't sync already and created a Windows 8.1 USB Recovery device. Once that was finished I opened up the Insider Preview I had and let it do its updates. I figured if I could at least get to the Insider Preview, the final build would push to my machine quicker. What I didn't realize was the updates that took so long to pre-install was actually the full Windows 10 Upgrade working its magic.

My update went smooth. Under activation it shows I have a genuine copy of Windows 10 Pro that's currently activated. When I ran the virtual machine with the Insider Preview it always showed Windows 10 Insider Preview along with the current build number. The upgrade itself involved nothing but a few clicks. The install took about an hour on my PC to fully upgrade, boot up, and complete initial driver updates. It went extremely smooth and ALL of my programs transferred over without any issues. Microsoft clearly wanted to streamline the upgrade for the everyday user.

I’ll always be a Windows user. I enjoy fixing and messing around with Mac’s, Chromebooks, and other operating systems, but Windows is where I’ll always be involved the most. I’ve used a Windows Phone that I upgraded to Windows Phone 8.1 when the preview became available. I like the integration of Windows Phone, Windows 7, and Windows 8/8.1 – Microsoft created the best of all worlds.

Apps from the Store integrate with Windows much better in this iteration than before. I used a program created by Stardocks called ‘ModernMix’ that allowed me to open the ‘Modern UI Programs’ with the ability to resize the windows in Windows 8/8.1 – I shouldn’t have had to do that. Microsoft corrected the issue this time around. The XBOX integration looks like it’ll be a really nifty feature. Now I just need to save up and buy the One.

Overall I think they hit one out of the park with this OS release. I’ve had zero bugs since upgrading and I’ve used my PC extensively since last night’s update. I really think those that upgrade as soon as it’s available to them will like the changes and enjoy the experience.

So, will you be upgrading? :p

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A bit of a noob-y question. Will my downloads and everything else be retained after installing Windows 10?

You'll get two options when installing. You can upgrade or do a clean install. An upgrade will keep files, programs, etc. A clean install will wipe the drive.

When updating, did you have to unlicence first, or was it fine?

You have to unlicense first. But it was quite strange that TEW opened right away when Windows 10 finished installing and I didn't have to put my license back or anything.

Looking forward to it, but ill wait for the green light. Dont want to get into trouble. Is it just an upgrade or do i have to wipe my c:?

I haven't installed the update myself as yet, but from what I gather you can either do just an update of your existing OS or a full blown c-drive wiping fresh install. Entirely at your own discretion.

So I've downloaded Windows 10 but my start menu and task bar won't work at all. And after creating a new user, as I saw someone say online that it fixes my problem, It repeatedly comes up with the "critical error, start menu and contact aren't working. We'll try to fix it next time you sign in." box I've signed in and out and in again about 10 times over and no change. I'm thinking of just completely restoring my laptop to default settings and Using a USB to take off the stuff I truly need and hope that works. However, I'm just hoping that someone else has this problem and can give me a fool proof solution, cause all the solutions I've seen so far haven't worked.

If you don't do express install, you are able to turn most of those "features" off. I accidentally did and turned most features to off (with the exception of using the camera and microphone, I think).

I also had that issue with the Start Menu, I think I went through the "Properties" (or is it now "Personalize") on the desktop, the Start Menu tab. Took a few tries, but it works fine now.

Archived