Release: 1990: The Ultimate Crossroads

1990: Ultimate Crossroads

http://i.imgur.com/UZLm7mR.gif

Assume the controls, Hulk Hogan. Shove that control into a nosedive, Hulk Hogan! Push yourself to total self-destruction! As you realize, Hulk Hogan, you are about to enter a world close to Parts Unknown.

1990 is the beginning of a new decade, the Cold War is in its final death throws, and pro wrestling is big business. But while a group of young stars seem poised for a breakout decade, trouble looms ahead. The territories are dead or dying. Memphis wrestling bought out the struggling WCCW to try to form a competitor to WWF and WCW, and Portland and the AWA are still around, but have hemorrhaged talent and money. And even as attendance for small promotions drop, another problem has emerged. In 1988, the distribution of anabolic steroids became a felony offense, and in 1990, Congress passed the Steroid Control Act of 1990, criminalizing the use of anabolic steroids without a viable medical purpose. Steroid use in pro wrestling has been an open secret for years, but it’s only a matter of time before the industry feels the effects of Congress’ new interest in steroid prescriptions.

Database stats:

Start date: January 1990

Active Workers: 734

Active Companies: 20

Link: Data

The World of 1990:

The WWF is coming off its biggest year ever, highlighted by Hulk Hogan facing Randy Savage at Wrestlemania V. But there’s pressure, inside and out, for the biggest company in the world to stay on top. Hulk Hogan enters 1990 as the champion, but after 7 years as the top attraction, is Hulkamania wearing thin? Can the Ultimate Warrior really replace the Hulkster?

WCW has just completed its first full year after Ted Turner’s buyout. Ric Flair ended a brief title run by longtime rival Ricky Steamboat, then Flair was joined by Sting and the Horseman as he defeated Terry Funk and the J-Tex corporation. What’s next for Flair, who’s now on the wrong side of 40? Can WCW build Sting, Lex Luger, and the Steiners into viable national names? Will WCW be able to turn upcoming youngsters like Ron Simmons, Cactus Jack, and Mean Mark Callous into superstars?

USWA is a newly formed “super promotion” created at the end of 1989 as the two Jerrys purchased WCCW. Without the loyalty of their father keeping them, will Kerry and Kevin Von Erich stay with the new promotion, or will Jerry Lawler be left as the only top name? Can USWA compete with the top promotions in the country, or will they find themselves getting raided for talent?

The AWA is facing what could be its last hurrah as Verne Gagne fights a battle in court for land rights in Minnesota. In Portland, Don Owen has begun building for the future, putting Portland’s top title on a relative rookie named Scott Levy.

The rest: a handful of other small promotions exist, generally under the NWA banner, and struggle to draw crowds of any real size in the wake of the WWF’s takeover. Most feature a mix of relative unknowns and washed-up former names.

What still needs work:

I’ve done some work on fixing up Japan, mostly just getting the right rosters in place, but I’m not a puro expert and it’s hard to find a ton of puro from this era, since a lot of it wasn’t being recorded. I’d like to add more Joshi workers to the game, since the 90’s is when we see a big influx of Joshi promotions challenge AJW.

Mexico: I’ve only barely done anything with Mexico, and it’s a bit of a mess right now. If there are any lucha experts who know what was going on during this period, let me know.

The rest of the world: there’s basically no info on European promotions other than CWA available online, so I don’t plan on addressing that.

Brad Armstrong has no gimmick assigned in WCW

Cactus Jack has a psychic gimmick in WCW. I'm guessing it's meant to be psycho

Eddie Gilbert has no gimmick assigned in WCW

Jim Cornette has no gimmick assigned in WCW

Missy Hyatt has no gimmick assigned in WCW

Paul Heyman has no gimmick assigned in WCW

Scott Armstrong has no gimmick assigned in WCW

Woman has no gimmick assigned in WCW

Teddy Long has no gimmick assigned in WCW

Brad Armstrong has no gimmick assigned in WCW

Cactus Jack has a psychic gimmick in WCW. I'm guessing it's meant to be psycho

Eddie Gilbert has no gimmick assigned in WCW

Jim Cornette has no gimmick assigned in WCW

Missy Hyatt has no gimmick assigned in WCW

Paul Heyman has no gimmick assigned in WCW

Scott Armstrong has no gimmick assigned in WCW

Woman has no gimmick assigned in WCW

Teddy Long has no gimmick assigned in WCW

Thanks!

I'll try my best to check info on the CMLL and AAA roster in 1990 as i am a natural spanish-speaker. CMLL was at this point EMLL (Empresa Mundial de Lucha Libre)

Also, Larry Cameron is supposed to be American, not Canadian, as he was born in Chicago, Illinois.

It still lacks a few workers, such as the one's who should debut in the next years like CM Punk, Low Ki, Bryan Danielson. But there are also missing workers from that era, like Debbie Combs, and a few many more.

Roddy Piper's gimmick is set to be a Comedian, he's supposed to be a Loose Cannon.

Can i suggest to add user characters?

That's all for now.

I'll try my best to check info on the CMLL and AAA roster in 1990 as i am a natural spanish-speaker. CMLL was at this point EMLL (Empresa Mundial de Lucha Libre)

Also, Larry Cameron is supposed to be American, not Canadian, as he was born in Chicago, Illinois.

It still lacks a few workers, such as the one's who should debut in the next years like CM Punk, Low Ki, Bryan Danielson. But there are also missing workers from that era, like Debbie Combs, and a few many more.

Roddy Piper's gimmick is set to be a Comedian, he's supposed to be a Loose Cannon.

Can i suggest to add user characters?

That's all for now.

Thanks for the feedback, but this mod is specifically not designed to include workers who do not debut after 1995, so if you absolutely need CM Punk, import him from another mod (and do some work fitting him into this game world). Right now I believe Rocky Maivia is the last rookie set to debut in-game, and I'm keeping it that way for this mod. Debbie Combs may be added in a later version. I don't think I've touched Larry Cameron, so I may work on him a bit to get him a bit in line with things in general.

Honestly the EMLL/CMLL name could go either way, so for clarity I'll probably leave it as is. EMLL was their name as part of the NWA, but they left in the late 80's and started branding as CMLL, completely abandoning the EMLL name by 1991. It's also the name everyone knows them as. Similar to how WCW was Turner-owned as of 1988, but didn't drop the NWA part of their name completely for a few years.

No plans to add user characters at the moment.

In WWF you have Dan Marsh and Danny Davis. I know their was a Dan Davis that was different from Danny Davis the ref, but in the mode they appear to be the same person.

Thanks, that appears to be the same guy twice.

This would be the rough roster of CMLL in 1990:

-Atlantis

-Rayo de Jalisco Jr.

-Ringo Mendoza

-Fabuloso Blondy (Ken Timbs)

-Máscara Año 2000

-Universo 2000

-El Dandy

-El Satánico

-Fuerza Guerrera

-Huracán Ramírez II

-Octagón

-Máscarita Sagrada

-Aguilita Solitaria

-Piratita Morgan

-MS-1/2 (La Parkita)

-Espectrito

-Brazo de Oro

-Brazo de Plata

-El Brazo

-Volador (Super Parka)

-Ángel Azteca

-El Dandy

-Solomon Grundy (Mike Shaw a.k.a Norman The Lunatic)

-El Hijo del Santo

-Lizmark

-Ray Mendoza

-Konnan

-Perro Aguayo

-Emilio Charles Jr.

-Cien Caras

-Super Astro

-Mike Golden

-Abdul The Great

-The Great Sheik

Most of them should in PPA contracts, as i think that Mike Shaw was in WCW as Norman the Lunatic.

The tag teams and stables would be:

-Los Hermanos Dinamita (Máscara Año 2000 and Universo 2000)

-Los Brazos (El Brazo, Brazo de Oro, Brazo de Plata)

I found the All-Time Roster of CMLL in cagematch, i hope it helps.

-Solomon Grundy (Mike Shaw a.k.a Norman The Lunatic)

Most of them should in PPA contracts, as i think that Mike Shaw was in WCW as Norman the Lunatic.

I found the All-Time Roster of CMLL in cagematch, i hope it helps.

Thanks. Believe it or not, Mike Shaw is not Solomon Grundy. The two did appear as the Grundy brothers tag team, with Shaw portraying "Aaron Grundy." Solomon was in World Class in the 80's and then became primarily Mexico-based.

Thanks. Believe it or not, Mike Shaw is not Solomon Grundy. The two did appear as the Grundy brothers tag team, with Shaw portraying "Aaron Grundy." Solomon was in World Class in the 80's and then became primarily Mexico-based.

Thanks.

Also, i've found out that Shaw wasn't in CMLL until 1992.

I think that Konnan had a written 2-year contract in CMLL.

But Kamala was in CMLL in 1990.

I'll keep on searching for more info of those days.

I have been discarding and adding wrestlers on my list regarding the CMLL roster that i've posted a while ago, and i've just remembered that AAA didn't exist until 1992, therefore, only CMLL, UWA and the Tijuana-based WWA existed at this point.

And it seems also that you're going to have to add wrestlers that never have been in a TEW data before, such as Popitekus, Jose Luis Feliciano and Comando Ruso.

The champions in CMLL that were in January 1990:

NWA World Middleweight Championship

Ángel Azteca

NWA World Light Heavyweight Championship

Pirata Morgan

NWA World Welterweight Championship

Fuerza Guerrera

Mexican National Trios Championship

Black Terry, Jose Luis Feliciano & Shu El Guerrero

Mexican National Heavyweight Championship

Popitekus

One error I noticed as I was going through this data. The Terry Garvin you have given a USWA contract to is the Terry Garvin who had worked as a road agent for the WWF until he got caught up in the infamous sex scandal of 1992. The other Terry Garvin is a completely different worker, and I have him in my Risky Business mod as Terrence Garvin to save confusion. Oddly enough, the Memphis/Dallas based Terry Garvin would change his name to Terry Simms in 1992 so that people didn't confuse him with the more well known Terry Garvin because of the sex scandal. Obviously Terrence's stats and pop would need updating going from 1985 to 1990. Very easy mistake to make since both workers practically used the same name. Just thought I'd point it out.

Sorry to double post, but thought it was worth mentioning that communities in the game world outside of the USA might need looking at. The way they're set up right now, a company that grows to be international or global like the WWF may not draw flies (though someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as I still learn new things about the game mechanics everyday). On the subject of things that might need looking into, the physical health stats, toughness and resiliency stats of a number of workers might need looking into. I can't remember who all off hand, but there are a number of workers who are already broken down before they hit their peak in their careers. And with low toughness and resiliency stats, there will be a number of workers who will be retiring before their time. Lastly, Sean Mooney is missing from the data. He was actually contributing to the WWF during this time, with his Event Center segments, as well as interviewing wrestlers at PPVs.

EDIT: Looks like the communities in the USA need work as well. The WWF was still selling out their TV tapings and PPVs, and they would go on to sell out the SkyDome in Toronto, so Ontario's community numbers should probably be looked at as well.

Sorry to double post, but thought it was worth mentioning that communities in the game world outside of the USA might need looking at. The way they're set up right now, a company that grows to be international or global like the WWF may not draw flies (though someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as I still learn new things about the game mechanics everyday). On the subject of things that might need looking into, the physical health stats, toughness and resiliency stats of a number of workers might need looking into. I can't remember who all off hand, but there are a number of workers who are already broken down before they hit their peak in their careers. And with low toughness and resiliency stats, there will be a number of workers who will be retiring before their time. Lastly, Sean Mooney is missing from the data. He was actually contributing to the WWF during this time, with his Event Center segments, as well as interviewing wrestlers at PPVs.

EDIT: Looks like the communities in the USA need work as well. The WWF was still selling out their TV tapings and PPVs, and they would go on to sell out the SkyDome in Toronto, so Ontario's community numbers should probably be looked at as well.

You're actually talking about some of the features of this mod. Community size was lowered to balance the game and reflect the actual difficulties companies from this era had drawing crowds. I built it into the system to make it a bit harder for small/mid-level promotions; high level promotions can still sell out major arenas pretty easily. I haven't played or simmed a game where WWF had any trouble holding multiple 10K shows a month with a PPV having no problem working into a bigger arena. It takes multiple years of bad booking combined with the industry crashing and a steroid scandal for them to stop being able to do that.

If there's anybody whose resilience/toughness/physical stats seem way off to you, I'll certainly have a conversation, but I worked to balance those stats so that they'd reflect actual wear and tear. There's a few guys who are close to forced retirement, but by and large those are the guys that were close to forced retirement/death and unable to walk in their civilian lives, so I don't think I'm spoiling anything. Mean resiliency and toughness were also lowered across the board for realism/balancing purposes and work hand-in-hand with lowered physical abilities.

As Matt did, i apologize for double-posting as well.

CMLL Roster (Excluding midgets)

All Star

Americo Rocca

Ángel Azteca

Apolo Dantés

Atlantis

Black Terry

Blue Panther

Blue Demon Jr.

Brazo de Oro

Brazo de Plata

Cesar Dantés

Chavo Guerrero

Comando Ruso

Dos Caras

El Brazo

El Corsario Rojo

El Dandy

El Faraón

El Hijo del Gladiador

El Hijo del Santo

El Hombre Bala

El Gran Markus Jr.

El Rayo de Jalisco Jr.

El Satanico

El Texano

Emilio Charles Jr.

Fabuloso Blondy (Ken Timbs)

Fuerza Guerrera

Herodes

Jaque Mate

Javier Cruz

Jerry Estrada

José Luis Feliciano

Lizmark

Masakre

Máscara Sagrada

Máscara Año 2000

Mike Stone

Mil Máscaras

Mogur

MS-1

Panico

Pegaso

Perro Aguayo

Pierroth Jr.

Pirata Morgan

Popitekus

Ray Mendoza

Remo Banda

Rocky Star

Rick Patterson

Ringo Mendoza

Rocco Valente

Shu El Guerrero

Sicodelico

Solomon Grundy

Tierra Viento Y Fuego (Damián el Guerrero)

Tony Arce

Verdugo

Vulcano

Tag Teams

Los Xavieres (Americo Rocca & Javier Cruz) (Regular)

Los Destructores (Tony Arce & Vulcano) (Regular)

Stables

Los Brazos (Brazo de Oro, Brazo de Plata & El Brazo)

Los Bucaneros (El Hombre Bala, Pirata Morgan & Verdugo)

Got it downloaded and installed. Gonna check this out. To answer a question (forgive me if it has been answered already) the two Danny Davis situation is that the Danny Davis I was used to seeing was one half of the Nightmares tag team, along with Ken Wayne. Also was part owner of Ohio Valley Wrestling (which he sold in July, from what I have read). He was in Southeastern Championship Wrestling, USWA, and then GWF.

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/bios/d/danny-davis-2/

The other Danny Davis was the WWF referee, but doubled as Mr X. So he was an accomplished wrestler in his own right.

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/bios/d/danny-davis/

I hope this helps in that aspect.

<p><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><strong>Champions</strong></span></p><p>

<strong>UWA World Heavyweight Championship</strong></p><p>

Big Van Vader</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>UWA World Junior Heavyweight Championship</strong></p><p>

The Killer</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>UWA World Junior Light Heavyweight Championship</strong></p><p>

Ringo Mendoza</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>UWA World Light Heavyweight Championship</strong></p><p>

Loco Zandokan (as Zandokan)</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>UWA World Middleweight Championship</strong></p><p>

Cuchillo</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>UWA World Welterweight Championship</strong></p><p>

Charles Lucero</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>UWA World Lightweight Championship</strong></p><p>

El Hijo del Santo</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>UWA World Featherweight Championship</strong></p><p>

Flama Dorada II</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>UWA World Tag Team Championship</strong></p><p>

Vacant</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>UWA World Trios Championship</strong></p><p>

El Brazo, Brazo de Oro & Brazo de Plata (Los Brazos)</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>UWA World Women's Championship</strong></p><p>

Lola Gonzales</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>UWA Women's International Championship</strong></p><p>

Eagle Sawai</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>WWF World Light Heavyweight Championship</strong></p><p>

Sangre Chicana</p><p> </p><p>

Therefore, Vader should be in an PPA contract with NJPW and with UWA as well, also, there should a working agreement between them.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="LordofGustav" data-cite="LordofGustav" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="40114" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><strong>Champions</strong></span><p> <strong>UWA World Heavyweight Championship</strong></p><p> Big Van Vader</p><p> </p><p> Therefore, Vader should be in an PPA contract with NJPW and with UWA as well, also, there should a working agreement between them.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think Vader's appearances in UWA fit better as a talent trade than a PPA contract. I can't find any information about Vader making anything other than rare appearances.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="lazorbeak" data-cite="lazorbeak" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="40114" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think Vader's appearances in UWA fit better as a talent trade than a PPA contract. I can't find any information about Vader making anything other than rare appearances.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Then it should be rendered Vacant, considering that Vader defended it only once and and lost it to El Canek in December 9th, 1990.</p><p> </p><p> EDIT: Ken Timbs is Fabuloso Blondy, not Eric Embry.</p>

Archived