Your biggest Upset

As the title suggests, which fight has been the biggest upset/fluke i your game?

Just started a save with Alpha-1 and in my first event, Ali Shivari defeated Palmer Lette with a Technical KO. In round 2, Ali Shivari was almost finished. He hardly had a fightback in that round. Suddenly in the last round, he does 14 power jabs on the ground and wins the match. Lette earns atmost 60 times more money than Ali per match.

Shivari_Lette_001.txt

I generally don't have huge upsets as I don't allow them to happen by booking ranking-based. Darcy McKenzie always scores high on the upset list, even though her boxing is some of the best in women's MMA.

That being said, I had Uchiyama - on an 8-fight winning streak against top talent - face Jameson (#7 at the time) as a replacement and she ended up winning a close match. The whole event was a disaster as all five main fights ended in a decision (and I do 3x10 matches!!!), with a bad 56% critical rating. She's my current champion now, but will 'drop' the title to Peoples in what I think will be quite a mauling. Now there's an upset if she manages to score the kimura. But the whole Uchiyama streak (she came from another company) was an upset in general, as she toppled Long Lin in both fighters' debut at WEFF (gods, what was I thinking?). Jameson eventually collected 10 upsets, the database's highest.

Another card I had a +270 on the main event (Herbig beating Oliver in a split dec., setting the tone for a disastrous losing streak for Oliver), and Evergood knocking out Demirbas (who was looking to bounce back from a title opportunity against Lehane but tried to prove a point by standing with Evergood... bad idea). A surprise, but I couldn't care less. There's always matches to make with winners. :p

In my previous game, the upset of the century was Waldron beating Lehane at a whopping +590 after getting a title shot by beating Sablikova at +400, even though she was a former LOMMA champ. She turned out to be queen of the upsets with 7 career upsets. She also holds the record for consecutive RNC's (6 straight!).

Biggest upset in the entire game was 15-0 Cherkaoui beating Holmes, who was 17-4. The odds were +760 (though 15-0 looks scary, and I didn't feed her cans, but LOMMA did).

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Leon Banks has had a great run over the last couple of years in GAMMA for me. Based on his bio, I thought he would be winding down his career but not so fast!</p><p> </p><p>

First I matched him up with Fatuma Roy, who was a -480 favorite, and Leon knocked him out in the 2nd round.</p><p> </p><p>

Then came Tim Boyer. -680 favorite, Unanimous Decision victory.</p><p> </p><p>

After that Renato came knocking, -610 favorite, Unanimous Decision victory.</p><p> </p><p>

And then the biggest of all, James Foster for the GAMMA Heavyweight Title, -940 favorite. He ended up knocking out the golden boy in the 2nd round.</p><p> </p><p>

I am worried to match him up against Lefter Oktay, as Oktay would be a huge favorite, but given the last few fights maybe that's a good thing.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="LeBlancX" data-cite="LeBlancX" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="40576" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The biggest upset so far was Emmanuel Yarborough (+950) who defeated Murilo Bustamante (-1200) by UD.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Weird. Manny just died. In real life, that is.</p>

How's this for a huge upset?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Kension/KSOver.jpg

I had planned to push Krystal up the rankings (she is or was at 19) and gave her this fight for that purpose. 0-5 with 6% Wrestling skill and 6.3% takedown defense and this happens! That's the second straight fight Krystal has lost that she should've won (Camilla Hansen tapped her in her last fight). So I'm just going to send her to LOMMA and forget she exists until contract time.

I don't think the Hansen matchup was winnable for Swanson. She is essentially quite a can herself. Hansen actually gets title shots in my games. :p

Yeah it was. She was favored in the fight (-110 to +80). Krystal was ranked #16, Camilla was unranked. I'm not upset about it because that win catapulted Camilla into the top 20 and she's continued to rise (she's at 9 now). I admit, I was enamored with Krystal's render (both old one and the new Felicia Hardy/Black Cat reminiscent one) so once my top 5 was established, I decided to try to push Krystal up into the top 10. In my Strawweight division, she's not top 10 material. Maybe she'll have better luck in LOMMA.

How's this for a huge upset?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Kension/KSOver.jpg

I had planned to push Krystal up the rankings (she is or was at 19) and gave her this fight for that purpose. 0-5 with 6% Wrestling skill and 6.3% takedown defense and this happens! That's the second straight fight Krystal has lost that she should've won (Camilla Hansen tapped her in her last fight). So I'm just going to send her to LOMMA and forget she exists until contract time.

why would a 0-5 fighter be fighting a 11-4 fighter? must be booking like terrible Japanese promotions

To put chosen contenders on winning streaks again. It's his way. People still enjoy it. Look at today's event in Japan. :p

It's not terrible either. Winning streaks contribute to fight interest. When you combine that with huge rosters you always get good main events. It's not my way but it works.

why would a 0-5 fighter be fighting a 11-4 fighter? must be booking like terrible Japanese promotions

To put chosen contenders on winning streaks again. It's his way. People still enjoy it. Look at today's event in Japan. :p

It's not terrible either. Winning streaks contribute to fight interest. When you combine that with huge rosters you always get good main events. It's not my way but it works.

Precisely. I'm not going to blow up 10 top draw fights by putting my top 20 fighters against each other on one show. Two 'superb' main events, one or two 'great' or 'potential' main events and the rest as filler to develop new draws gets me 100% commercial rating and 75-85% critical rating (if I line up the filler matches right).

As I said in my previous post, that 11-4 fighter had just been upset in her previous fight. I wasn't going to put her against someone above her on the rankings (she didn't deserve that opportunity) so I gave her a 'gimme' fight to get back on track. Now she's on a two match losing streak. Unlike some promotions, I don't cut people. As the top company in the world by a large margin (HLI vs the #2 company at HLR, treading water because their roster was decimated by a talent raid of their top fighters), cutting a fighter would be just like handing a possible savior to the competition. Perfectly sound business strategy. Choke the competition and continue to churn out top quality fighters and shows.

it is terrible this isn't a opinion its fact. its a major reason why the org's that employee matching making tactic's fail. the worst parts of the both the RIZIN cards and yes i watched both its my job were the mismatches. its a joke. just look at twitter while those fights are on. watching a RIZIN event from japan on a russian stream really took me back though. my fav part was the russian commercials.

I get your point. If I were a top fighter I wouldn't be down with facing cans (on paper), even if it'd give me top dollar. You want competition.

I book as many close fights as possible but I sometimes wonder why I'm shooting myself in the foot so many times, when my contender drops out with an injury and I have to replace them with people who just lost a match. Sets me back a couple of %'s in the ratings. Not that it matters with the current state of the game, but it matters in reality. :)

I get your point. If I were a top fighter I wouldn't be down with facing cans (on paper), even if it'd give me top dollar. You want competition.

My question for you is, how did you become a 'top fighter'? Did you always fight people as good or better than you or did you take some fights knowing they wouldn't last beyond round 1 so you could save your body some wear and tear? None of my 'top fighters' (meaning top-10) feast on cans. Unranked fighters need work to improve and advance and not every fighter on the roster is generated at a Pam O'Neill level. And fighters in the 11-25 range often need to recoup after a loss. Gotta start somewhere. Heck, Mike Tyson's first 20 or so fights were against cans. Maybe I'm totally off here but I'm guessing the 7-4 fighter who has lost against 'top competition' doesn't typically get the title shot over the 11-0 fighter who has only beaten people at the bottom of the rankings.

Oh yes and if there was a 9-0 can who would put butts in seats and drive PPV buys (a la Kimbo Slice of several years ago), you'd take that fight. Or, let's say Floyd Mayweather wants to try his hand at MMA. Dana White sees massive dollar signs. You're Robbie Lawler or Rafael dos Anjos or Conor McGregor. Do you take that fight? (And yes, I'm saying Mayweather would be a can in MMA)

That is indeed the only way to make a top fighter. Having up- and comers facing major stars all the time until someone scores a huge upset doesn't help. Fans won't see it as a credible win (a fluke), so having that happen would be disastrous. It worked for Holly Holm because the division is so shallow, but one win less and she wouldn't have been so positively regarded.

BCF's Danny Akaboro has pretty much solidly pulled huge upsets for me, wherever I use him. His punching power is so strong, he can reliably knock out anyone with a chin under ~80 -- he has knockout wins over Carter Potter (for example) even though he's very small at Heavyweight.

On the discussion: All "fighters" reach a plateau -- let's say max momentum/low national -- where the advantages of "beating scrubs for momentum" levels out, and it's time to "move towards a title shot". I usually try for a matchup victory -- a mid-tier fighter with weaknesses he can exploit (for example, put a #11 or #12 high-level striker against a #4 or #5 with an average chin).

As Jim Cornette says, "MMA" is the new "Professional Wresting".

I book as many close fights as possible but I sometimes wonder why I'm shooting myself in the foot so many times, when my contender drops out with an injury and I have to replace them with people who just lost a match. Sets me back a couple of %'s in the ratings. Not that it matters with the current state of the game, but it matters in reality. :)

im not even saying you have to book close fights. but having someone with 16 fights fighting a person making their debut only ever happens in japan. it wouldn't get sanctioned in the states unless its ufc or like xplode fights or whatever the hell that shi ty promotion is called known for nearly killing cans. if you're grooming a prospect who is still very green than its acceptable to feed people to that guy or girl in real life. its a prob i have with the ufc rushing these young guys into fights that are really tough matchups. Sage Northcutt shouldn't have a compettive fight for 2 years. hes like 19 years old.

BCF's Danny Akaboro has pretty much solidly pulled huge upsets for me, wherever I use him. His punching power is so strong, he can reliably knock out anyone with a chin under ~80 -- he has knockout wins over Carter Potter (for example) even though he's very small at Heavyweight.

On the discussion: All "fighters" reach a plateau -- let's say max momentum/low national -- where the advantages of "beating scrubs for momentum" levels out, and it's time to "move towards a title shot". I usually try for a matchup victory -- a mid-tier fighter with weaknesses he can exploit (for example, put a #11 or #12 high-level striker against a #4 or #5 with an average chin).

i can literally listen to Cornette talk about wrestling for hours and have several times.

Exactly! I find once a fighter gets into the top 10 (maybe even the top 15 if they have 'excellent' marketability), it becomes possible for them to main event ('potential', 'strong', or better) shows with people ranked slightly higher. That's my goal. Get to 5-0 or 6-0 and then go for bigger game since those five flames often make up for the lack of name value (to an extent) if you're reaching for a star.

Actually, in my latest game she went undefeated (6-0) until she came up against Ebisawa. Her father would be proud. Nah... he wouldn't. :p

Sadorra is severely overrated. Her stats make her look like she's good, but she loses to everything that has 50 wrestling to close the distance. Tripp has that. She took a painful loss to Hescott.

- Derek 'Smash Mouth' South vs. Lawrence 'The Law' Herringbone

- From 'GAMMA 44: Foster vs. Kapur' (from the save game '0')

- Created 03 abril 2015

(Rd 1 - 05:00) Another match is about to begin; Derek 'Smash Mouth' South taking on Lawrence 'The Law' Herringbone.

(Rd 1 - 05:00) The referee is William Yeats.

(Rd 1 - 05:00) The judges for this bout are: Millhouse Twain, Reginald Wodehouse, and Edward Wilde.

(Rd 1 - 05:00) We are underway!

(Rd 1 - 04:51) Both fighters step in to strike.

(Rd 1 - 04:51) Herringbone is off target with a left jab but scores with a great right hook. South is off-target with a jab and also can't hit a right cross.

(Rd 1 - 04:32) A quick step-in from Herringbone means he closes the distance and clinches with South without any significant counter strikes landing.

(Rd 1 - 04:12) Using his wrestling skills, Herringbone is trying to push South up against the cage.

(Rd 1 - 04:12) South ends up backed against the cage.

(Rd 1 - 04:00) South is controlled up against the cage and eats a sharp right to the ear.

(Rd 1 - 03:49) South is trapped up against the cage.

(Rd 1 - 02:50) Herringbone tries to use his dirty boxing skills, but South uses wrestling to prevent any strikes from being launched.

(Rd 1 - 02:32) A few short punches to the ribs land, as South fights back.

(Rd 1 - 02:18) Herringbone goes to use some dirty boxing, but South is aware of the danger and uses wrestling to prevent any damage from happening.

(Rd 1 - 02:01) Having been stuck against the cage for a while without any progress, the referee brings them back to the center.

(Rd 1 - 01:51) They stand and trade, but all the shots are either off target or are safely dealt with.

(Rd 1 - 01:27) A quick step-in from Herringbone means he closes the distance and clinches with South without any significant counter strikes landing.

(Rd 1 - 01:09) Herringbone gets solid control and may be looking for a wrestling-based takedown.

(Rd 1 - 01:09) South cannot stop being taken over with a belly-to-belly and left under side control!

(Rd 1 - 00:58) We're into the final minute of the round.

(Rd 1 - 00:58) Herringbone starts trying to work to go from side control to mount.

(Rd 1 - 00:58) Herringbone mounts South.

(Rd 1 - 00:28) Herringbone fires away with right hands, but South doesn't take much damage.

(Rd 1 - 00:12) Herringbone pounds away and South struggles to deal with them.

(Rd 1 - 00:00) The time runs out on round one.

(Rd 1 - 00:00) That round goes to Herringbone, 10-9 on my card.

(Rd 2 - 05:00) We are back underway!

(Rd 2 - 04:49) Herringbone scores with a weak, flicked left hand jab.

(Rd 2 - 04:49) South lands a left hand and then hits a nice straight right.

(Rd 2 - 04:34) Herringbone comes forward on the attack.

(Rd 2 - 04:34) A jab lands from Herringbone, but his big right hand follow-up misses.

(Rd 2 - 04:15) A quick exchange of strikes doesn't lead to anything.

(Rd 2 - 03:47) Herringbone attacks with strikes.

(Rd 2 - 03:47) South hit a counter left hand.

(Rd 2 - 03:47) Herringbone hits a left jab and then hits a nice straight right.

(Rd 2 - 03:23) Both fighters meet in the center.

(Rd 2 - 03:23) Herringbone is off target with a left jab but nails a right cross. South hits a jab and also hits a good right hand.

(Rd 2 - 03:03) The two fighters engage.

(Rd 2 - 03:03) Herringbone hits a left jab and also hits a good right hand. South uses a left jab and also hits a good right hand.

(Rd 2 - 03:03) Herringbone winces after landing that last punch, he may have damaged his hand.

(Rd 2 - 03:03) If it's a break, that's really going to affect his striking ability dramatically.

(Rd 2 - 02:51) Herringbone staggers backward, looking dazed...that last blow must have really rocked him!

(Rd 2 - 02:51) South pounces and smashes Herringbone with a big right hand! Down he goes!

(Rd 2 - 02:36) South senses victory and starts to unload with punches!

(Rd 2 - 02:36) South pounds away, landing several great shots that threaten to KO Herringbone!

(Rd 2 - 02:36) The referee jumps in and stops the fight!

(Rd 2 - 02:20) Derek 'Smash Mouth' South takes the win by TKO!

(Rd 2 - 02:20) Post-Fight Interview: South says that he'd like to face Toby Sorkin in the future.

(Rd 2 - 02:20) Official Result: Derek 'Smash Mouth' South defeats Lawrence 'The Law' Herringbone (TKO (Strikes) in 2:40 of round 2). The match was rated as being Fantastic.

South didn't do that good afterwards and Lawrence went on a 8 fight winstreak and i also managed to snatch him up from GAMMA.

Archived