Curious about WMMA4

I've been a long time TEW player but was curious if I should try this game. I've mastered TEW and am currently looking for a different challenge until "If" the next TEW comes out.

I'm guessing my question is really is this a good game to transition to? Will I get upset with the learning curve? Is it similar to TEW?

I've been a long time TEW player but was curious if I should try this game. I've mastered TEW and am currently looking for a different challenge until "If" the next TEW comes out.

I'm guessing my question is really is this a good game to transition to? Will I get upset with the learning curve? Is it similar to TEW?

Hm. No, not really similar at all. The way fights are scheduled and play out are a 180 from how TEW does it. The fight engine itself is pretty good but after a while, most fights sound and feel the same.

I got WMMA4 after having TEW2013 for a few years and I'm happy with it. It's just definitely NOT TEW. There isn't anywhere near as much character development, yeah, I know this is on the player but TEW has such a rich universe and stories while WMMA just doesn't.

It's a great distraction from TEW when I experience burnout in booking. TEW can take me 2 hours to book a show while booking fights in WMMA takes minutes. It doesn't feel as in-depth as TEW, and I think that's because it isn't.

I'd recommend the demo before buying it. I played the demo for months before pulling the trigger.

It is an easier game, but way different.

Every new save is completely random and new. In TEW there are variations like gimmick rating and momentum, but you definitely could shoe horn the same cards from save to save. WMMA isn't like that. You could start a game where a champion holds the belt for 4 years and completely demolishes his competition, or you could book him in the same fights and he could lose four in a row and you cut him.

Also there is company management stuff, but it's worthless and unnecessary. I went through a 20 year game on the same networks and it had no effect. Essentially you just book fights, sim, watch fights, repeat. It's pretty relaxing.

What the rest says:

Management is just fluff. If you like to watch the gameworld unfold, this game is simply awesome. My TEW games have a lot more watching than booking too.

Just having control and booking the fights is awesome too. It could get tedious in big organisations, because you have to book everything (even the low-level fights), and it might become a chore after... I don't know... 500 events. :p

• 3 weeks later...

Hm.. I cut my teeth on TEW and later transitioned to WMMA -- I'd say it's easy to learn but difficult to master. WMMA is definitely breakable, especially with larger companies, and it is very easy to make money and maintain popularity.

Fighters are paid far less than their profitability -- few consequences exist in many cases for paying a fighter twice as much to keep him from signing an exclusive deal -- something you can't do in TEW. You can, for example, offer twice the money with BCF to a worker (equivalent to 21CW) and he'll except over guaranteed deal from GAMMA (equivalent to SWF) -- in a way, the game is much more certain.

In general, the goal is to create "certain" outcomes, and "build" opponents to the main event. There is [usually] more money in the champion retaining, so the goal should be to place him in matches he can win -- the majority of your matches are going to be squashes.

Hm.. I cut my teeth on TEW and later transitioned to WMMA -- I'd say it's easy to learn but difficult to master.

I would agree to a point. I also started in TEW and moved to WMMA when 3 was put up on Steam and then moved to 4 shortly afterward. I think WMMA4 works extremely well if you develop a "system". What I mean by that is, when you figure out what your preferred booking style is and you find things to support that. For example, just like in TEW, I tend to fixate on workers I like, whether due to their render or their skills or what I imagine their potential to be. Those fighters work a 1/3/1 fight rotation (one tough/challenging fight, 3 "easy" fights, then 1 tough/challenging fight and repeat). The goal is to keep them at or near the top of the rankings. Everyone else is basically fodder, though it's not unusual for me to take a shine to a fighter who was previously a "can" in my mind.

Once you get the mechanics down (i.e. maximize your commercial rating at all costs, etc), it's easy to put on shows you want and accomplish the goals you set for yourself. If you've mastered TEW than WMMA4 won't give you much trouble. You know how to develop talent, you know how to manage finances, and you know how to deal with the competition and those are the three biggest parts of the "learning curve", in my opinion. Once you learn the game's systems (here's a hint: they're extremely similar to TEW though not exactly the same), you're golden. Here's a pro tip: In this edition, wrestlers beat strikers most of the time (it was the opposite in WMMA3), partially due to lack of effective counter punching (and some other stuff you'll learn).

In short: BUY THE GAME NAO (if you haven't already)!

Archived