Star ratings on threads

K-Nection

I really don't know where to post this but is there a way to remove the star system on the threads....It just appears to me it is just an unfair way to troll people. If you don't want to comment on a thread then don't. But to give a 1 star to be mean is just....mean.

I know this will get some 1 star hits but you will be just proving my point.

For the suggestion forums, I think it's a good way to show your agreement/disagreement towards a suggestion without having to post a stupid one liner à la "I agree". I rate suggestion threads all the time.

Also, some really great dynasties deserve to receive five star ratings.

So, yeah, if I would have to rate this thread here, I'd probably give it one star. :p;)

The star system has long been a point of contention here. Just do what I and like 99% of the board does.

Ignore it. They're literally meaningless and if you're getting worked up about them, take a step back and...not get worked up by them.

I will play devil's advocate here. I've one starred stuff in my time here when they're hasn't been much to comment on. It's not trolling by any manner or means. It's a way to show dissatisfaction with something. I've also been victim to the one star in my time and all it tells me is that one person doesn't like what I'm doing. That's cool. Even one person one starring a thread is miles better than no feedback at all.

tl;dr ignore the star system if it bothers you

Just do what I and like 99% of the board does.

This. I didn't even realize it was there anymore. One star for reminding me it's there! :p

Seriously: if we analyse page 1 for 1-star posts we just have one that says something similar to: "Hey, I hate TEW I want to play something else", and giving this one star is... mean?

And if this is about your post: I - and a lot of other people - generally dislike the idea of supporting supposedly innocent people that we know nothing about. It's an off-topic area so every post is allowed, but giving it one star might stop us from seeing similar posts in the future. If everyone posts stuff like that, it will flood the board and make the fun posts disappear. But don't take ratings like that personal. It's not about that.

There has been/is a certain element in the shadows, that do like to troll threads by giving everything one star but I've learned to completely ignore it.

But even for the system's proper usage, which is to rate someone's work (i.e a TEW dynasty) it's not worth bothering with. For instance most people tend to rate something whatever they wish to rate it pretty much straight away. The problem with that is that rating is permanently stuck and can't be changed by the forum member that voted. So someone can't come back to something, and think 'Oh that's really improved, I'll give it a higher rating' or even 'This isn't so good anymore' I'll give it a lower rating.

Anyway in conclusion it's a load of shit, but it's not going to get removed so just ignore that it's there.

I would do away with it and introduce a 'like/thank you' system like a lot of other forums have. This way there's no 'down voting' but you can easily show you're in agreement by clicking the like or thank you button on a post.

I think it's more a VBulletin thing that is out of GDS' hands. I know Proboards works on a like system.

And if this is about your post: I - and a lot of other people - generally dislike the idea of supporting supposedly innocent people that we know nothing about. It's an off-topic area so every post is allowed, but giving it one star might stop us from seeing similar posts in the future. If everyone posts stuff like that, it will flood the board and make the fun posts disappear. But don't take ratings like that personal. It's not about that.

I could post a link that would direct you to the documentary but that would be breaking the rules of this site since it does not require a netflix subscription to view it. I don't need any mod finger waving at my direction so if you have a netflix subscription by all means check this out.

I'm one of the guys who voted 1-star in that thread. I don't usually vote on threads at all, but I did for that one basically due to the reasons aptly stated by Blackman above. I don't feel the thread belongs and I feel the message of the thread is too heavily biased. Sorry, K-Nection. Nothing person.

I'm one of the guys who voted 1-star in that thread. I don't usually vote on threads at all, but I did for that one basically due to the reasons aptly stated by Blackman above. I don't feel the thread belongs and I feel the message of the thread is too heavily biased. Sorry, K-Nection. Nothing person.

Ok on what part of the forum does the thread belong? As for the thread being too biased I would not even create a thread if I didn't believe the man was innocent.

Ok on what part of the forum does the thread belong? As for the thread being too biased I would not even create a thread if I didn't believe the man was innocent.

I think what Hive means it's the kinda stuff that doesn't really suit the forums. It's better suited for like Facebook or something.

Stuff that borders on politics and such (like the case of that guy in that documentary [which I've not watched but have a feeling could be doctored to be on his side, maybe I'm just too cynical]) hasn't ever really been a big thing on here.

I would do away with it and introduce a 'like/thank you' system like a lot of other forums have. This way there's no 'down voting' but you can easily show you're in agreement by clicking the like or thank you button on a post.

Might be a bit late lol, but I definitely support this idea 100%. Seems like a great way to support threads, and if you don't like the thread, all you have to do is move on.

I think what Hive means it's the kinda stuff that doesn't really suit the forums. It's better suited for like Facebook or something.

Stuff that borders on politics and such (like the case of that guy in that documentary [which I've not watched but have a feeling could be doctored to be on his side, maybe I'm just too cynical]) hasn't ever really been a big thing on here.

Well to me you guys are my facebook....I've went over the actual court papers the last few days and that documentary was pretty much on the nose. I just know we have a lot of intellectual minds on here and really wanted to share something I was passionate about.

As I can see now I will just keep my threads "fun" and nothing that could bring anyone's mood down and anytime I see anyone reporting a death or tragedy I will be quick to throw a one star on the thread because it's not a "fun" post.

I might be a little sour at the moment but some of the reasons on here are not helping. I might need sleep so I'm going to drop the conversation entirely. If you are a mod reading this can you please lock this thread down?

Indeed, yes.

Yeah. What irked me was the "this guy is definetely innocent!" tone of the thread. Had it been "I watched this interesting documentary which I strongly recommend", I probably wouldn't have batted an eye. But it's a biased request for assistance based upon a biased documentary.

It's true that this section is for everything, but like the other guys said: it doesn't seem to belong. Getting people to support your cause is one thing, but it'd be better if it was actually wrestling/MMA/gaming-related (even though the thread says it doesn't have to be). Would it be better if they didn't vote and just ignored it? Because people will. :p

Archived