DOTT: The War of '84

April, Week 4 Friday [B]WWF Big Show (April) Live from The Boston Garden in Boston, MA![/B] [B]The Show:[/B] The $5,000 15-man Battle Royal (Andre the Giant, Bam Bam Bigelow, Bruno Sammartino, Davey Boy Smith, David Sammartino, Eddie Gilbert, George Steele, Jim Neidhart, Jimmy Snuka, Jumbo Tsuruta, Masked Superstar, Rene Goulet, Steve Austin, Tarzan Goto and Tiger Chung Lee) Result: Andre the Giant Rating: C+ Sidenotes: Final Four were Andre, Jimmy Snuka, Bruno Sammartino and Tiger Chung Lee, with Bruno being the last to go. This also happens to be the 2nd in a row where Bruno gets the heave-ho last. King Kong Bundy d. Davey Boy Smith at 2:54 by pinfall (Rating: D) (Pre-Match: B) Sidenotes: What can you expect out of Davey Boy? Atleast Bundy’s streak has advanced. Now to move him up to some bigger opponents. [U]Hansen and Murdoch Ambush The Hulk[/U] Stan Hansen calls out the champ, wanting to take him on right now. Hogan complies, only to be ambushed from behind by a waiting Dick Murdoch. The two destroy Hogan, taking care of one-half of the tag team. JYD should be no problem now with his partner weakened! Rating: B Atlas/Johnson d. Brainbusters & Killer Bees at 8:02 (Rating: C) (Pre-Match: C+) Sidenotes: Pat Patterson thinks that Johnson needs a gimmick change, so we’ll have to take a look at that. But otherwise, the two looked great in the ring against our two young teams, while still making them look good. [U]WWF Tag Title Match:[/U] The Strongbows d. The Wild Samoans at 6:31 by submission (Rating: B) (Pre-Match: B+) Sidenotes: A decent match… and good thing, cause starting at WWF Challenge tomorrow, we’re moving into a storyline to replace the Strongbows as champs. [U]IC Title Match:[/U] Don Muraco d. Pedro Morales at 5:47 by CO (Rating: A) (Pre-Match: B+) Sidenotes: It’s things like this that really pain me. On the one hand, Don Muraco is a Grade A performer who can put on top matches, but on the other hand, he can’t click with Mark Lewin. Just a damn shame. Mark Lewin d. Gino Hernandez at 12:51 by submission (Rating: C+) (Pre-Match: A) (Post-Match: B) Sidenotes: It’s said that Heenan performed poorly in the pre-match (Heenan?! Poorly?! Wah?!?!), but the heat from the IC Title match helped carry it up… that and Gino is a A* Entertainer. The match was decent though… a little lower then I thought, but considering out of my three “areas of operation”, New England is their lowest in popularity. Expect to see some rematches in the Great Lakes region! The post-match attack by Gino also helped it greatly. Bob Backlund/Tito Santana d. Roddy Piper/Bret Hart at 7:10 by submission (Rating: B-) (Pre-Match: B+) (Post-Match: C+) Sidenotes: A pretty good match -- which ended with Backlund forcing Bret Hart to submit. This didn’t sit well with Piper, who accused Hart of costing him his big match. Stan Hansen/Dick Murdoch d. Hulk Hogan/Junkyard Dog at 7:37 by pinfall (Rating: B) (Pre-Match: B/B) Sidenotes: Hansen got the pinfall on JYD (Big Surprise!), using a handful of tights to gain the win. Hogan gets to keep his heat, while claiming that JYD only lost by a cheating maneuver. Overall Rating: B (Of course, this makes it the second time I screwed up the booking, so the Hansen vs. Hogan storyline doesn’t continue. Expect a THIRD Hogan/JYD vs. Hansen/Murdoch match!)

In Other News: This simply must be reported, due to the sheer hilarity of the situation. Memphis superstar, Jerry "The King" Lawler has recently attached himself on as Owner of the newly-formed promotion, New England Pro Wrestling, a family-friendly group located in the heart of McMahonLand. And they've already attempted to snare two of the WWF's workers, in an attempt to pull in the families. The workers? The Dynamic Duo! Gino Hernandez and Tully Blanchard! While this entire group seems like a off-choice to be spearheading a promotion targeted at families, they do have a damn fine roster at the moment, consisting of: Jerry Lawler (Owner) Angelo Poffo (Head Booker) Paul Boesch Gene Okerland Gary Hart Gino Hernandez Tully Blanchard Bob Roop Michael Hayes Terry Gordy I'd have cheered wildly for a promotion like that in the 80s that was set in my homeland... But since my homeland happens to be my battleground now... this means WAR.

April, Week 4, Sunday [B]WWF Challenge Taped at the Canton Civic Center in Canton, OH[/B] Tony Garea d. Steve Austin at 4:46 by DQ (Rating: D) (Pre-Match: C) Dynamite Kid d. Bret Hart at 8:50 by pinfall (Rating:C-) The Wild Samoans d. Atlas/Johnson at 5:32 by CO (Rating: C) (Pre-Match: C) (Post-Match: C) Sidenotes: The big notes of this match at that Albano challenged the Strongbows to give his boys another title shot. The match is immediately followed up by a graphic showing that the Strongbows will take on Tiger Chung Lee and Tarzan Goto next. Ricky Steamboat d. Jumbo Tsuruta at 7:33 by submission (Rating: B) Sidenotes: Steamboat and Tsuruta really clicked in the match. Looks like we found us another go-to match. Andre the Giant d. Tarzen Goto/Tiger Chung Lee at 4:21 by pinfall (Rating: C+) (Pre-Match: B+) Sidenotes: Speak of the Devil! Our resident Battle Royal King easily manhandles the two in a short battle. [U]IC Title Match:[/U] Mark Lewin d. Don Muraco at 7:09 by submission (Rating: B-) (Pre-Match: B) Sidenotes: Even with Muraco’s second (Gino Hernandez), they couldn’t stop Lewin from scoring a pinfall win for the IC Title. Of course, the two still had a golden match, despite what Patterson seems to think. Overall Rating: C [U]Other News:[/U] The WWF is also proud to announce that starting at the next event, Lance Russell will be joining Gorilla Monsoon and Lord Alfred Hayes in the booth.

A new month! And TV negotiations are hot in progress! The WWF has picked up a nice contract with Heartland East (Great Lakes, Mid Atlantic and South East), to pick up the syndication of WWF Challenge at midnights, following it’s 7PM airing time on TV Cable East. While the WWF gains ground, many other promotions lose ground, with the loss of their TV programs: Georgia Championship Wrestling (No more National Coverage for them!) Southwestern Championship Wrestling Southeastern Championship Wrestling AWA All-Star Wrestling CWA All-Stars World Class Wrestling Mid-South Wrestling Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling World Pro Wrestling Puroresu Chukei -- It should also be known that little Greg Gagne has stepped up as Owner of the AWA! Yay!!! Tagging along for the ride is veteran Dick the Bruiser, who'll be taking over as Head Booker. Which is a good thing, considering Greg's only booked card consisted of a C+ Card which featured such classics as Brad Rheingans and Scott Hall wrestling to a time limit draw and Blackjack Lanza vs. Mr. Saito. Looks like the AWA may destroy itself before I get a chance to plunder it. And in Mid-Atlantic news, it's reported that David Crockett had a falling out with Ric Flair. Insiders say that Crockett cried his eyes out, after hearing that the Nature Boy was working for another promotion as well. "Tony! Look at him! He sold out! TONY! TONY! LOOK!"

May, Week 1, Thursday [B]WWF in Your Neighborhood Live from Kellogg Arena in Battle Creek, MI[/B] [U]Announcement: Mark Lewin is YOUR new IC Champion[/U] Gorilla Monsoon and Lance Russell announce to the fans that Mark Lewin is the WWF’s new IC champion. Complete with a ceremony, where Vince McMahon Sr. presents Lewin with the belt. But Gino crashes the ceremony, proceeding to drive the belt into Lewin’s skull. Gino Hernandez: You aren’t the champ, Lewin! I am! Gino Hernandez is the champ! He’s your champion, baby! I don’t need no piece of tin to prove it! But if you want to put it on the line, I’d be more then happy to swipe it from you! Rating: B/B+ King Kong Bundy d. Jim Brunzell at 2:16 by pinfall (Rating: C+) Sidenotes: Unfortunately, now it’s being said that Heenan and Bundy don’t have any chemistry. Agh! The $1,000 Battle Royal (Andre the Giant, Bam Bam Bigelow, Bruno Sammartino, Davey Boy Smith, David Sammartino, George Steele, Junkyard Dog, Masked Superstar, Ray Stevens and Superstar Billy Graham) Result: Andre the Giant Rating: B Sidenotes: Final Four: Andre, Steele, Graham and Bruno, with Bruno going last. That’s three times in a row! Could we see Bruno getting frustrated and snapping soon? [U]WWF Tag Title Match:[/U] The Strongbows d. Chung Lee/Goto at 7:59 by DQ (Rating: C+) (Pre-Match: C/A) (Post-Match: C+) Sidenotes: We’re treated to a Monsoon interview with the tag champs, followed by Albano scheming with his tag team. Following the match, the Samoans ambush the Strongbows, painting them yellow. Gino Hernandez d. Tito Santana at 7:39 by pinfall (Rating: C) (Pre-Match: A) Ricky Steamboat d. Jumbo Tsuruta at 10:51 by submission (Rating: B) (Pre-Match: C+) [U]WWF World Title Match:[/U] Hulk Hogan d. Jimmy Snuka at 5:53 by pinfall (Rating: B) (Pre-Match: B) Overall Rating: B

May, Week 1, Sunday [B]WWF Challenge Taped at the Broadbent Arena in Louisville, KY[/B] The Show: [U]King of the Ring Qualifying Match:[/U] Dynamite Kid d. Rene Goulet at 4:28 by pinfall (Rating: D) [U]King of the Ring Qualifying Match:[/U] Tully Blanchard d. Tony Garea at 4:53 by pinfall (Rating: C+) (Pre-Match: C+) [U]Piper’s Pit w/ King Kong Bundy[/U] Roddy Piper introduces his guest, the undefeated behemoth, King Kong Bundy. Bundy proceeds to go on about how he’s the greatest wrestler to ever step into the WWF and so on… This goes on until he issues a challenge to local legend, Bobo Brazil. Brazil storms the set, where he accepts the challenge, and says he anticipates wiping the floor with the snot-nose punk soon. Rating: B-/A [U]The Strongbows Accept a Title Defense[/U] (Rating: C) Sidenotes: They agree to defend their titles against the Samoans. Big deal. The Wild Samoans d. The Killer Bees at 8:24 by pinfall (Rating: C+) Bruno Sammartino d. Billy Graham at 5:57 by submission (Rating: B) [U]IC Title Match:[/U] Mark Lewin d. Gino Hernandez at 12:38 by submission (Rating: B) (Pre-Match: B+/B-) Overall Rating: B- NOTE: WWF in Your Neighborhood will not be seen this week, due to its being rescheduled to Wednesday, after Wednesday has aired… But stay tuned for an all new Piper’s Pit at WWF Challenge, with the debut of one of the greatest wrestlers in wrestling history!

• 3 weeks later...
Sunday, Week 2, May [B]WWF Challenge Taped at the UIC Pavillion in Chicago, IL[/B] The Show: [U]King of the Ring Qualifying Match:[/U] Steve Austin d. Ivan Putski at 3:59 by pinfall (Rating: C) (Pre-Match: B) [U]King of the Ring Qualifying Match:[/U] Jumbo Tsuruta d. Davey Boy Smith at 5:18 by pinfall (Rating: C+) [U]Piper’s Pit w/ Bobby “The Brain” Heenan[/U] Bobby reveals that he’s made a NEW signing, and that the WWF is about to be blessed with the coming of a man who promises to reign supreme. This man? None other than -- “Nature Boy” Ric Flair! WOOOO! Rating: A/A [U]Heenan and Gino Complain About Lewin[/U] A small bit with the two whining to each other about how Lewin is a pain in their hinds. Heenan then suggests he has a plan, and they’ll get Lewin at KOTR. Rating: B+ [U]WWF Tag Title Match:[/U] The Strongbows d. The Brainbusters at 7:51 by DQ (Rating: C+) (Pre-Match: B-) [U]IC Title Match:[/U] Mark Lewin d. Don Muraco at 8:34 by submission (Rating: B) (Pre-Match: B) [U]WWF World Title Match:[/U] Hulk Hogan d. George Steele at 5:52 by DQ (Rating: B+) (Pre-Match: A*) (Post-Match: A) Sidenotes: Hogan is ambushed by Stan Hansen and the debuting Flair, ending with the two busting him open. Overall Rating: B

Wednesday, Week 3, May [B]WWF in Your Neighborhood Live from the Philadelphia Spectrum in Philadelphia, PA[/B] The Show: The $1,000 10-Man Battle Royal (Andre the Giant, B. Brian Blair, Bam Bam Bigelow, Big John Studd, Bruno Sammartino, Jim Brunzell, Masked Superstar, Ray Stevens, Ricky Steamboat and Tony Atlas) Result: Andre the Giant Rating: B Sidenotes: Final Four: Andre, Ray Stevens, Bruno and Steamboat. Final Elimination: Ray Stevens Don Muraco d. Pedro Morales at 7:55 by pinfall (Rating: A) (Pre-Match: B+) Sidenotes: Rule #1 of Rick Arnold Booking: Don Muraco does no wrong! [U]WWF Tag Title Match:[/U] The Wild Samoans d. The Strongbows at 7:38 by pinfall (Rating: B) (Pre-Match: B/B/A) Sidenotes: Finally got the titles off of the Strongbows. Thank god! [U]IC Title Match:[/U] Mark Lewin d. George Steele at 7:52 by submission (Rating: B-) Sidenotes: Rule #2 of Rick Arnold Booking: Mark Lewin does no wrong! [U]30 Min. Ironman Match:[/U] Bob Backlund d. Ric Flair 2 falls to 1 (Rating: A) Sidenotes: An early MOTY candidate, as Flair looks like GOLD out there. Overall Rating: B-

Saturday, Week 3, May [B]WWF’s King of the Ring Live from the Smith Center in Washington D.C.![/B] The Show: [U]First Round:[/U] Tully Blanchard d. Tito Santana at 5:42 by pinfall (Rating: C+) (Pre-Match: C+) Dynamite Kid d. Bret Hart at 5:18 by pinfall (Rating: E) (Pre-Match: B) Ricky Steamboat d. Steve Austin at 4:38 by pinfall (Rating: C+) (Pre-Match: B) Jumbo Tsuruta d. Chief Jay Strongbow at 3:40 by CO (Rating: C+) (Pre-Match: C+) [U]Semi-Finals:[/U] Tully Blanchard d. Dynamite Kid at 7:44 by pinfall (Rating: C) (Pre-Match: C) Ricky Steamboat d. Jumbo Tsuruta at 7:31 by pinfall (Rating: B+) (Pre-Match: A) [U]Other Matches: IC Title Match:[/U] Mark Lewin d. Gino Hernandez at 9:42 by DQ (Rating: C+) (Pre-Match: C) Sidenotes: Flair interferes, costing Hernandez the match, but allowing them beatdown Lewin. [U]WWF World Title Match:[/U] Hulk Hogan d. Masked Superstar at 6:39 by pinfall (Rating: B+) (Pre-Match: B-) [U]Two-Out-Of-Three Falls Match:[/U] Ric Flair d. Bruno Sammartino at 14:33 by pinfall (Rating: A*) (Pre-Match: A) Sidenotes: Thank you Bruno, you damn son of a bitch! MOTY here, I guaren-damn-tee! Wooo! Flair wins it in two straight falls. [U]KOTR Finals:[/U] Ricky Steamboat d. Tully Blanchard at 8:21 by pinfall (Rating: B+) (Pre-Match: B-) (Post-Match: A) Overall Rating: B

Awesome King of the Ring tournament, Rick. The fans really didn't dig the Dynamite v. Hart match, which is probably to be expected considering the location. Steamboat winning it makes a lot of sense, as he consistently produced solid matches in the tourny. Lewin v. Hernandez, while an entertaining midcard feud, just doesn't strike me as living up to the Handsome Halfbreed from Highland Park's potential. At the very least, I'm really hoping that Gino gets that Intercontinental title. After that, hopefully he can get involved with someone like Steamboat. Regardless, great job so far. I like the write ups, as they remind me of the old fan-made newsletters that used to circulate amongst the pen pals.

Hernandez vs. Lewin, while not looking great on paper, has proven to be a fairly decent feud with B+ heat and almost consistently B rated matches in the Great Lakes area. So I'm planning to milk it for atleast another month, before their blow-off match at the next big event. That and Tully and Steamboat are having a little spat following Tully's loss at the KOTOR. By the way, I think I figured out why Flair leaves Mid-Atlantic in '84 every time I play through it. I'll have to tell you next time you're on AIM.

Archived