What has the overall direction of TEW been since it overtook EWR?

I kept playing EWR after the initial release of TEW and was satisfied with it but it's not something I play anymore. TEW05 was offered at no cost at some point (still is), and I gave it a shot. Honestly, I couldn't get into it. Between 10-11yrs later, I have now purchased TEW 2010 for -75% on the last day of a great sale (on STEAM). Hoping I like it more than TEW05.

Before I get into the game and try my hand with another installment in the Ryland series of games, I'd like to ask you all what in the world has been going on with TEW then and now? If I found TEW05 tiresome and ridiculous, how would I feel about TEW 2013 (assuming it's an indicator of most features in the upcoming 2016 release which I might be interested in)?

I'd just say play it and see for yourself.

What is it you like about EWR and not about TEW?

Mainly the game has grown in features and immersion, there's actual AI competition, which compared to the EWR games you were more or less playing vs yourself, with only a Backyard-Global goal but now there's much more depth to it.

Way too much for anyone to really post here. Basically the core stuff at the heart of the EWR games have evolved again and again over the course of 10+ years and 5 games. You'd really have to play it, and they usually put out a demo, so grab that.

The game is lot more complicated than EWR.

You need to just stop comparing it to EWR. It's fine if you like EWR's simplicity more, but 13 years later treat it as a new game that's completely unrelated. You're not going to hop on and get the game in a week. It takes a long time, but it's still enjoyable.

I never played TEW 2005 I stuck with EWR played it for years before making the upgrade to TEW 2007 when that first came out and have bought every game since, It just gets better with every release! I haven't played EWR since and I used to be in love with that game.

If you just bought TEW 2010 just try it for yourself, I would recommend getting TEW 2013 but It might be worth sticking with the version you bought until 2016 comes out now.

I'd just say play it and see for yourself.

What is it you like about EWR and not about TEW?

Mainly the game has grown in features and immersion, there's actual AI competition, which compared to the EWR games you were more or less playing vs yourself, with only a Backyard-Global goal but now there's much more depth to it.

I see. I'm in the process of assembling a game, but I might start that process over to try to make it as painless as I can.

What turned me off TEW initially was the learning curve (and things I'm lumping under that category) as well as the active time invested from show to show in that stage of unfamiliarity. Saying "I gave it a shot" isn't going to be universally agreed on, I know.

I like the changes you described. Probably one of the things that was most interesting about TEW to me was the competition as well.

EWR allowed me to focus more on booking shows to take me to the next PPV, to the next year, etc. TEW felt like it offered more distractions in that realm. I know they're good tools and TEW is not as limited, but I felt distracted by it and maybe it's just because I haven't learned to get an overview of the game's features and then plan ahead.

Way too much for anyone to really post here. Basically the core stuff at the heart of the EWR games have evolved again and again over the course of 10+ years and 5 games. You'd really have to play it, and they usually put out a demo, so grab that.

I'll take that. Thanks.

The game is lot more complicated than EWR.

You need to just stop comparing it to EWR. It's fine if you like EWR's simplicity more, but 13 years later treat it as a new game that's completely unrelated. You're not going to hop on and get the game in a week. It takes a long time, but it's still enjoyable.

Thank you for the blunt response. I'm not the average learner, and struggle with things, it isn't necessarily that I prefer simplicity. Would you say the length of time it takes to get about a month-way through a game drops drastically after you pick up on how best to play the game or is there something about it that drags on regardless?

I never played TEW 2005 I stuck with EWR played it for years before making the upgrade to TEW 2007 when that first came out and have bought every game since, It just gets better with every release! I haven't played EWR since and I used to be in love with that game.

If you just bought TEW 2010 just try it for yourself, I would recommend getting TEW 2013 but It might be worth sticking with the version you bought until 2016 comes out now.

Nice to see someone so enthusiastic about it. I don't really plan on going back to EWR, so TEW is my final destination unless I do something crazy and learn how a programming language myself - and I want to - but not just so I can make a text based game.

I think it's just about finding the least painful way to play for me until I get the hang of it. Then I'll probably love it.

I'll play 2010 until the 2016 release for sure.

Thank you to all

TEW 2013 is a bit more simplified and processes have been streamlined, so I'd recommend trying out the demo. TEW 2010 is also a good game to start. But of course, comparing it to EWR isn't even possible, there are a lot of differences. You can test your workers for drugs, chose the time of your segments, the type, how they will affect your worker's skills, you can do pre-bookings, it's a whole new world. If you like wrestling and wrestling games, especially EWR, I'm sure you'll come to love the TEW series. All it takes it's a bit of imagination to make a game become as close to real as possible.

Granted, the booking part can become a bit tedious and overwhelming at times, especially in big companies, but you get used to it. I'd recommend starting with smaller companies to get the hang of the game.

Archived