New to TEW2013, any help is appreciated

Hiya all,

So, I bought TEW2013 couple of days ago after a friend of mine recommended it. I thought "Wow, a manager-ish simulation game where you play as the booker of a wrestling organization, how cool is that!" :D

I love simulation games. I love the fact that one has to learn the ropes before being decent at them. I love the challenge. But this game may be too much for me.

I tried to learn, honest to god I did. Read around, experimented and tried to figure out the basics. Even read some guide for TEW2010, which is available in steam. I just... I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

I'd love if the game told me what didn't work and more specifically, why it didn't work.

"A match devoid of all heat ended up with a pinfall, rating F-" Ok. Why there was no heat? Did the workers muck up? Did I fail? Tell me, game! (of if you did tell me, please let me know where I could find such info)

Also, booking a show is tedious as ****. Isn't there an easier way to do those angles and matches? Do I really have to pick them one by one, assign workers, the length and all that? I can't even favorite the angles for easier access. I must be doing something wrong here.

In any case, I love the premise and the idea. I just don't know how to play. Can anyone give me any pointers?

Please don't swear, this is a family friendly board.

A match is devoid of all heat if the the workers aren't over. You can see their popularity via their profile. If you're using a small promotion most of your roster will suffer from this, it's one of the issues with running a small company. You can turn on the 'dirt sheet' via the options menu to get an exact breakdown of what penalties you incurred.

Yes, booking takes a while; it's an in-depth booking simulator after all! There is an auto booker provided in the booking screen to aid you, but given that you specifically mentioned not liking the idea of having to select workers and lengths - two pretty fundamental parts of booking - I do get the impression that this probably isn't the game for you. You may find it easier to use a medium sized company however, as then you're only booking one or two shows a month with a small roster. Irrespective of which company you choose, you will spend a lot of time on booking however, that's just what the game is about.

I didn't swear, I just put the stars as an impression of such. But point taken, will not happen again.

As for booking, I don't mind setting the details, but I do find it a bit hard to grasp, even tedious (no offense). What would save much is an option to save certain angles in some sort of "favorites" category. Searching for the entrance angle for each wrestler is really, really slow. Unless there is a favorite option and I have just missed it.

Is there a guide or something that explains what angles are "must haves" for events?

I sincerely hope you're not getting the impression I'm bashing the game, far from it. I want to learn how to play it, as it does seem very, very interesting.

I didn't swear, I just put the stars as an impression of such. But point taken, will not happen again.

As for booking, I don't mind setting the details, but I do find it a bit hard to grasp, even tedious (no offense). What would save much is an option to save certain angles in some sort of "favorites" category. Searching for the entrance angle for each wrestler is really, really slow. Unless there is a favorite option and I have just missed it.

Is there a guide or something that explains what angles are "must haves" for events?

I sincerely hope you're not getting the impression I'm bashing the game, far from it. I want to learn how to play it, as it does seem very, very interesting.

My advice, which is what I did, was to delete all the angles, and completely re write my own. You will find that with a few standard hype angles, interviews etc, and a few attack, and rescue angles, you will be able to just use them for at least the first ten years, I am assuming you are starting from zero, you don't want to be using your best material in front of 80 or so fans, save the epic storytelling for when they are watching on TV.. It is difficult to not get ahead of yourself, start booking epic shows that are seen by nobody..

The truth is that you don't really need an entrance angle for each wrestler, as it is built into the wrestling time. Note when you book a match, that the length gets a little bump (2 mins for 1 vs 1 matches, a little more the more people you put into the match). The entrance angles are only for elaborate angles, like the ones main eventers sometimes get at Wrestlemania.

And there are no "must have" angles. You can have a show completely built on matches. But you will want to see what your companies product is first. Your match ratio, found under Product, will tell you what percent of your show should be matches. That's plus/minus 15 %. So if your match ratio is 80%, the your show should be somewhere between 65-95% matches, and the rest angles.

I can find that it is hard to grasp easy to understand. It's a deep game, especially if you are late to the show so to speak. I'm still learning. But after playing for some time now and just sort of flailing about, I recently decided to streamline the experience by focussing on just the basics.

I started with MAW, because it is by far the easiest company for beginners, and there are some things you don't need to worry about with MAW. For instance, MAW fans prefer only clean finishes, so initially you want have to worry about how DQs are going to effect popularity and momentum. And MAW has an about as middle-of-the-road owner as you are going to find, so his Owner Goals aren't going to be onerous, he's not going to fire the first time you miss one, and he's generally speaking not going to overrule your financial decisions.

Just take it slow. And try and learn for yourself, rather than rely on the boards. As I'm discovering, while this place is good for camaraderie, there are a few myths that get perpetuated about this game that I was stunned to discover were not true. And that even I, in a attempt to help others who had questions, shared not realizing it didn't work as I had never tried it myself. I think everyone is well meaning and wants to be helpful, much like myself, but sometime what people read on here can seem like gospel when in fact it isn't even true.

So seek advice, but test that advice. Don't take it at face value. This isn't a game you are going to master overnight. But if you find value and enjoyment in learning new things, and aren't afraid to make mistakes while you are playing, this is a very rewarding game that will continually challenge you.

I think you might be overthinking them - angles are only really important in terms of what the workers are doing within them, not their actual concept.

i.e. if you have two angles that are 10 minutes long and have a single worker being rated on microphone skills, it doesn't matter what is actually happening in the text - that's just flavour for the player's benefit, the game has no notion of what is actually going on, all it knows it how to calculate the rating.

So you don't really need to be searching for a perfect angle, or making an entrance for each person. I think most people just have a few 'go to' angles that they use. These can be set as 'defaults', which is the same as favouriting them (it's the same thing, just different terminology).

I didn't think you were, I just got the impression that this may not be the game for you based on your post. A game like this isn't for everybody. I hope you do enjoy it in the long run.

To expand, many long time players (myself included) scrap the default angles and just create a series of basic frameworks:

1 Person Overness

1 Person Menace

1 Person Microphone

1 Person Sex Appeal

2 People Overness

2 People Microphone

2 People Menace

2 People Sex Appeal

2 People 1 Overness 1 Microphone

So on and so forth because as mentioned, the actual "content" doesn't matter, just the workers involved, the metric they are rated on, and for storylines whether it is a "success" or "defeat" for them.

The default angles add a lot of flavor and are great baselines for what you are looking for but if it's getting in the way of your fun, change them! That's part of the appeal of the game is that you can customize your database to suit your needs...

So uhh, it doesn't matter what the description says in the angles, only the length, workers involved and the stat? There's no need for "continuity" with angles?

The continuity comes in the form of Success or Defeat in angles (which can be set to neutral for all angles, and render it useless)

That is how the game keeps track of who came out of the segment looking good or bad.

Archived