Database Conversion To Do List

So, I converted a mod over to 2016. The converter ports over a competantly working version, but there is still work to do. So, here are the things I've noticed. I thought it would be great for others to share the things they've noticed in order to help mod makers get their creations spot on.

Broadcasters need updating. With the new Broadcaster style (PPV, Commercial, Fre-To-Air, Subscription), product preferances the old networks, new options for minimum requirements, need to be worked on quite extensively.

Broadcaster deals, now have a minimum quality that needs working on for existing deals.

Hall of Fame. The mod I'm working on (The Fall) the big promotions in the USA have fallen. The game still has their Hall of Fame of the WWF etc. Easily overlooked, but the HoF was quite empty. So, worker histories, and titles would need to be worked on. I guess that's how it works.

Tag Teams. Every team is set up to be a unit. That would need correcting.

Workers booking skill. Everyone is set to 0.

That's all I can think off with a quick glance. I know there's more work than that to be done. So, any other tweaks that need doing, please add them here when you notice them.

Depending on the mod everything is on a to do list. Changing or adding one thing can effect something else unintentionally. The more detailed a mod the more work to do. Literally everything, for at least a check and review is on the to do list for TGA conversion.

I learnt with '13 things converted over and not given enough attention can stand out like sore thumbs.

This is a great idea, because I found it very daunting when I first entered the editor and saw everything that we'd need to update for modifications so having a "to-do list" of sorts will really make the job a lot less intimidating in my opinion. Anyway, the things that I've found are (in no particular order and only off the top of my head as I don't have TEW in-front of me):

• For workers, you obviously have their "Body Type" and the "Colour" skill to change. When I converted my modifications, every worker seemed to get a random number for their "Colour" skill so what I did was mass edit everyone to set their "Colour" at 0, then filter workers to only see possible colour commentators and only change their skills, rather than going through everyone when it wasn't necessary. Also, remember to edit the fog of war scouting levels for "Colour" although I think most of them, if not all of them will be okay because it seems to be set at the same number as announcing automatically, which is nice.

• Also, taking a look at head bookers/owners "Business" section in general seems to be a good idea because there's quite a bit of new information that could really change things if it's not done correctly, or at least I would imagine it could.

• One thing I noticed that could be really easy to forget when simply converting a modification is that you'll need to import/add the new "3 vs. 3 vs. 3" stipulation to your "Match Types" if you want to make it easily accessible to players.

• "Move Sets" will need some love and care, if you're going to do it correctly.

• Again, speaking generally, it's well worth taking a look at "Companies" because there's a lot more information you can add now. I'm sure most mod-makers will take a look anyway and can see all the differences, but the one that I kept missing for the first couple of hours was the "Owner Type" in "Power Structure" because I thought once I got to "Estimated Roster", I'd updated everything. xD

• In contracts, I think it's also worth taking a good look at "Travel Cover" because - in my head at least - jobbers and such like may not get it while the main roster would, and it could made a big difference for some promotions if they don't have much money in the first place.

• Add announcers to "TV Shows".

• And, finally, take a look at "Starting Injuries" because if you're playing one of those modifications where pregnancy and the like are considered injuries, then you'll obviously need to change that and make it a "Starting Absence" instead.

I'm sure there are loads more that needs to be updated, but for now, that's all I got. As I said before though, this is a great idea and I'll be using all the information provided to make sure I get everything. :)

Definitely a good idea for a thread. I've already shared a few of the things I've found with our regular modders.

• The game will pick a specific region within the based nation for workers if one isn't set. Body type will remain as average if it isn't set, however.
  • The Color Commentary skill seems to take an average of Mic and Charisma, so anyone with good mic skills seems to end up with good Color Commentary skill. Which obviously isn't always the case.
  • Broadcasters definitely need to be tweaked. If anyone has done a straight conversion of 2013 data, one of the things you likely notice is companies getting a lot of deals with small broadcasters all over the place. There is a setting that prevents companies outside the broadcasters home region from getting deals which is helpful for smaller broadcasters that are probably not going to carry a dozen different wrestling programs. Production requirements are also going to require some tweaking as they can cause companies to lose deals, or lose major money trying to meet the requirements.
  • Respect carries more value than most of us realize, I think. It plays into backstage influence. Derek doesn't cover Respect in his Guide, but its worth figuring out a system to assign a reasonable level to workers, and I think the CornellVerse can be an important guide with this stat.
  • Owner types definitely bear playing with, as they default to Lifetime. As Mammoth mentions, there are more owner settings that are worth adjusting now.
  • The weight split setting will cause a company to carry a bigger roster. In real world terms, that's probably only New Japan - even historically.
  • Title belts now have an option to set what company originally owned them. However, Hall of Fame entries will still be auto-generated based on the conversion based on who currently owns them, since the original owners can't be preset before the conversion. So don't be surprised if you see Hall of Fame entries for wrestlers or teams that never worked for that company showing up.
  • Organic bios pull information from Employment History and Historical Awards, so those have a bit more value if you are going to use Organic Bios.
  • Tour regulars can now be set, so foreign workers who are regularly hired for tours in Japan by a given company.
  • In addition to starting absences, you can now have starting excursions set, so Japanese workers are working (or looking for work) elsewhere in the world to gain experience.

I have a huge database that I've added to through the years. One with almost 5000 workers and I'm not really wanting to abandon it. I will say that I'm absolutely exhausted just looking at all the things that need to be changed for my database to function correctly. I'm not even for sure where to begin :(

One I've noticed:

If a Broadcaster is only active in one area you must set In Min Regions to 1. Leaving that setting at 0 will see a flurry of stupid TV deals as NJPW for example go across the US one small Broadcaster after another.

For some networks, yes. But also using the "Must Cover Home" setting makes it so that the company has to be based in that part of the game world... which means you can then use things like the production levels to act as minimums instead of popularity. :)

Am I the only one who got a tonne of random entries into the Halls of Fame section? It was rather funny to look at, and easy to mass delete, but still.

Oh, and I've already done a lot of work to my database, so I'll have to remember to contact Adam when the time is right...

Am I the only one who got a tonne of random entries into the Halls of Fame section? It was rather funny to look at, and easy to mass delete, but still.

I've mention this above. Its because the WCW and ECW belts being now owned by the WWE and the original owner can't be preset before conversion.

I've mention this above. Its because the WCW and ECW belts being now owned by the WWE and the original owner can't be preset before conversion.

Well, actually mine was full of plenty of non-WWE nonsense, like Claudio/Cesaro being in the IPW:UK HOF and the team of CM Punk and Seth Skyfire being in OVWs. Nuts. Amusing nuts, but nuts. It's deleted now. I'll do the HOFs later, I'm still doing the home base/body types at the moment... (and the foreseeable...)

Well, actually mine was full of plenty of non-WWE nonsense, like Claudio/Cesaro being in the IPW:UK HOF and the team of CM Punk and Seth Skyfire being in OVWs. Nuts. Amusing nuts, but nuts. It's deleted now. I'll do the HOFs later, I'm still doing the home base/body types at the moment... (and the foreseeable...)

Interesting. Were they actually inducted or just had an entry? Because a quick Wiki look tells me that Claudio/Cesaro won the IPW:UK tag titles once, which would generate an entry as having gained toward the HoF for that company but should not be enough to be inducted. And Punk was a triple crown champion in OVW, so that might actually be almost enough to gain induction. As long as the entries were Not Inducted and just the value toward induction the workers who have won those titles have earned, that's how the feature is supposed to function.

<p>I'm sure this isn't the topic to ask this but maybe it is!</p><p> </p><p>

I'm updating my real world database and I was wondering if someone could help me with the broadcasters part. I need a starting template for each of the four styles because I have no idea where to even start with updating these.</p><p> </p><p>

so, I was thinking if you someone could list what you would put down for like two or three of pay per view and commercial broadcasters and maybe one or two of free-to-air and then one subscription. That would help myself and others with updating the rest of the broadcasters because we would have a template to go off of. </p><p> </p><p>

If this has already been done in another topic, please be nice and share that link!</p><p> </p><p>

I hope this makes sense. Basically, I'm looking for what all you would put down for like Dish Network and Spike TV and Netflix and WWE Network. I can then use those as a guide to change the rest of the broadcasters.</p><p> </p><p>

Thanks</p>

I'm sure this isn't the topic to ask this but maybe it is!

I'm updating my real world database and I was wondering if someone could help me with the broadcasters part. I need a starting template for each of the four styles because I have no idea where to even start with updating these.

so, I was thinking if you someone could list what you would put down for like two or three of pay per view and commercial broadcasters and maybe one or two of free-to-air and then one subscription. That would help myself and others with updating the rest of the broadcasters because we would have a template to go off of.

If this has already been done in another topic, please be nice and share that link!

I hope this makes sense. Basically, I'm looking for what all you would put down for like Dish Network and Spike TV and Netflix and WWE Network. I can then use those as a guide to change the rest of the broadcasters.

Thanks

Good question and I doubt you are the only one wondering. My take, but anyone else feel free to correct...

Pay Per View: a service where viewers are purchasing individual events for a fee. This one is quite true to life, as the providers overlap heavily for a big company - you could have literally dozens of different providers carrying a WWE pay per view across the US alone. As well, the PPV model isn't common or popular outside of the US to a significant degree. The most accurate emulation, in my opinion, is to use the cable service providers and digital satellite companies. So DirecTV, Comcast, Rogers (in Canada), etc.

Internet based PPV is a slightly different beast. Many seem to be available globally in a functional sense (don't IP block) but realistically target certain markets in regard to languages of service available, advertising, etc. I am also under the impression that iPPV provides very little revenue for the wrestling company, which would arguably make them free-to-air (someone please correct this if its inaccurate).

Commercial: the network generates by selling advertising, shown in the form of commercials. The network may simply pay the wrestling company for the program, provide a cut of the advertising earnings, or some combination of both. Your standard structure. Examples are almost limitless - ABC, CBS, Fox, ESPN, USA, MTV, and so on. Not all TV channels are freely available and some are considered "premium" chanels, which I'll touch on later.

Free to Air: channels that don't generate adverting revenue so they don't pay for programming, often subsidized by government. So a company gets exposure but makes no money. PBS and BBC would be the most prominent examples.

I've wondered if syndication would fall under this, as I don't think it generates much income for a wrestling company.

Subscription: subscribers pay a fee (usually monthly) for access to content. This is specifically meant for services like NetFlix, WWE Network, and so on, where subscribers would likely drop in and out based on specific new content. Its not intended to emulate premium pay channels where viewers get the as part of a larger cable/satellite package and pay an additional monthly fee - channels like HBO, SuperChannel, Starz, SkySports packages, etc. However, it might be the most accurate way to emulate those.

Hope that helps, and would love to see some more discussion on broadcasting. I think it could definitely help modders.

Good question and I doubt you are the only one wondering. My take, but anyone else feel free to correct...

Pay Per View: a service where viewers are purchasing individual events for a fee. This one is quite true to life, as the providers overlap heavily for a big company - you could have literally dozens of different providers carrying a WWE pay per view across the US alone. As well, the PPV model isn't common or popular outside of the US to a significant degree. The most accurate emulation, in my opinion, is to use the cable service providers and digital satellite companies. So DirecTV, Comcast, Rogers (in Canada), etc.

Internet based PPV is a slightly different beast. Many seem to be available globally in a functional sense (don't IP block) but realistically target certain markets in regard to languages of service available, advertising, etc. I am also under the impression that iPPV provides very little revenue for the wrestling company, which would arguably make them free-to-air (someone please correct this if its inaccurate).

Commercial: the network generates by selling advertising, shown in the form of commercials. The network may simply pay the wrestling company for the program, provide a cut of the advertising earnings, or some combination of both. Your standard structure. Examples are almost limitless - ABC, CBS, Fox, ESPN, USA, MTV, and so on. Not all TV channels are freely available and some are considered "premium" chanels, which I'll touch on later.

Free to Air: channels that don't generate adverting revenue so they don't pay for programming, often subsidized by government. So a company gets exposure but makes no money. PBS and BBC would be the most prominent examples.

I've wondered if syndication would fall under this, as I don't think it generates much income for a wrestling company.

Subscription: subscribers pay a fee (usually monthly) for access to content. This is specifically meant for services like NetFlix, WWE Network, and so on, where subscribers would likely drop in and out based on specific new content. Its not intended to emulate premium pay channels where viewers get the as part of a larger cable/satellite package and pay an additional monthly fee - channels like HBO, SuperChannel, Starz, SkySports packages, etc. However, it might be the most accurate way to emulate those.

Hope that helps, and would love to see some more discussion on broadcasting. I think it could definitely help modders.

This is a great description of each of the types of broadcasters, so thank you! However, I was more looking for how someone would update a few of each of the broadcasters in each category.

For Example:

Spike TV- What would you put down for Min Popularity, in Min Regions, Production Values, Broadcast Quality, Music, Must Cover Home?

POP TV- What would you put down for Min Popularity, in Min Regions, Production Values, Broadcast Quality, Music, Must Cover Home?

COMCAST- What would you put down for Min Popularity, in Min Regions, Production Values, Broadcast Quality, Music, Must Cover Home?

I'm having trouble updating broadcasters, so I was hoping someone would share their ideas on what to make certain PPV Networks, certain commercial networks, certain free to air and certain subscription based networks. Not all obviously but maybe one or two of each. That way we all had a template to play off of when we update the rest of the broadcasters.

Apologies, misunderstand the question. That's going to be a bit tougher. I'll look at Spike specifically, at least to start.

First thing to consider is whether you want to prioritize accuracy or play-ability. Not always mutually exclusive, but sometimes can be. If one was really worried about accuracy, they could do some serious research into given broadcasters. Look into how many homes they are available in, peak ratings, average ratings, etc. You can start with the very biggest broadcasters - major networks in the US, for example, and then scale downward from there. That's a lot of work and not really necessary unless you are going for absolute accuracy. I prefer playability over absolute accuracy, and in terms of playability, I also want a range of sizes. So if there were two TV channels (so commercial broadcasters) in a region that didn't have many of that type, and they were identical in size, I might still choose to make one a step smaller just so there is a range.

So my take on Spike:

Company Size: not mentioned but pretty key. To me, this should should dictate most of the other expectations and should scale similar to size in the range. This is where looking at the Cverse really helps. You don't see Tiny networks restricting to National promotions, or Huge broadcasters who will deal with Local promotions. Generally speaking, if the Range is medium or higher, they will have a minimum of company size of National. Broadcasters with full national coverage but below Medium will deal with Cult companies. Only those very limited range (one area, or maybe a couple) will deal with Regional companies.

I would probably put Spike as a Medium sized broadcaster, which would mean there minimum company size would like be National. But they carried TNA for years and TNA was never really a national company (at least by many measure). Of course, they also turfed TNA eventually when they didn't grow as expected, so you could argue a couple different ways. Another option would be to put the minimum company size as Cult (since Spike has long been wrestling-friendly) but use the Minimum Popularity and Minimum Regions to restrict it to larger Cult promotions.

Minimum Popularity & In Minimum Regions: really just refinements on the Company size. It allows you to be more specific. So maybe the minimum company size is Cult, but they would only want a near-national level of Cult, or Cult that has very broad appeal across the whole region. I think of it as "how picky would this broadcaster be" in regard to the wrestling companies they would carry? If they aren't that picky, put the minimum closes to the minimum required for the minimum of their minimum company size.

Production Values, Broadcast Quality & Music: these all link in my view. Again looking at the CornellVerse, the bigger the broadcaster, the higher their expectations. Smaller broadcaster will have lower expectations. All three don't absolutely have to be on the same level, but it makes sense they would be close. It would be a bit weird for a small broadcaster who will work with Regional companies to accept Semi Pro production values, Semi Pro broadcast quality, but demand Licensed music. It would make some sense for some broadcasters to have higher standards - MTV might demand Major Licensed music, HDNet might demand higher broadcast quality than their size, etc.

A slight issue with Broadcast Quality is the HDTV level and time period. Does HDTV still apply as a "standard" for a period before it was actually a standard? I think I'm just going to look at HDTV as the "standard for the time". Although a historical mod could scale it down and have In-House represent pre-HD SDTV, then use Broadcaster Changes to up most bigger broadcasters to HDTV at the appropriate time.

For Spike, I would probably go Production Values of Professional, Broadcast Quality of HDTV, and Music as Minor Licensed. The latter could be dropped to In-House, but it makes more sense to keep them close, even if TNA did use in-house. Spike had fairly high standards for TNA as a whole.

Must Cover Home: this one has a pretty big effect if not used properly. A bunch of users have mentioned seeing all kinds of promotions getting deals on small broadcasters all over the place. That's because of his. Use it to block foreign companies from getting broadcast deals on the smaller broadcasters, which have much lower size and popularity requirements. That block isn't all that necessary on broadcasters with a minimum company size of National, as its going to be rare for a company to get to that level if they are based elsewhere. Not impossible but hard. If the Minimum Company size is Cult or lower, consider whether the broadcaster might carry wrestling from outside their home nation/region.

So for Spike, did it ever seem like Spike has an interest in carrying puroresu or luchalibre? I don't get that impression, so I would say Yes to Must Cover Home.

Apologies, misunderstand the question. That's going to be a bit tougher. I'll look at Spike specifically, at least to start.

First thing to consider is whether you want to prioritize accuracy or play-ability. Not always mutually exclusive, but sometimes can be. If one was really worried about accuracy, they could do some serious research into given broadcasters. Look into how many homes they are available in, peak ratings, average ratings, etc. You can start with the very biggest broadcasters - major networks in the US, for example, and then scale downward from there. That's a lot of work and not really necessary unless you are going for absolute accuracy. I prefer playability over absolute accuracy, and in terms of playability, I also want a range of sizes. So if there were two TV channels (so commercial broadcasters) in a region that didn't have many of that type, and they were identical in size, I might still choose to make one a step smaller just so there is a range.

So my take on Spike:

Company Size: not mentioned but pretty key. To me, this should should dictate most of the other expectations and should scale similar to size in the range. This is where looking at the Cverse really helps. You don't see Tiny networks restricting to National promotions, or Huge broadcasters who will deal with Local promotions. Generally speaking, if the Range is medium or higher, they will have a minimum of company size of National. Broadcasters with full national coverage but below Medium will deal with Cult companies. Only those very limited range (one area, or maybe a couple) will deal with Regional companies.

I would probably put Spike as a Medium sized broadcaster, which would mean there minimum company size would like be National. But they carried TNA for years and TNA was never really a national company (at least by many measure). Of course, they also turfed TNA eventually when they didn't grow as expected, so you could argue a couple different ways. Another option would be to put the minimum company size as Cult (since Spike has long been wrestling-friendly) but use the Minimum Popularity and Minimum Regions to restrict it to larger Cult promotions.

Minimum Popularity & In Minimum Regions: really just refinements on the Company size. It allows you to be more specific. So maybe the minimum company size is Cult, but they would only want a near-national level of Cult, or Cult that has very broad appeal across the whole region. I think of it as "how picky would this broadcaster be" in regard to the wrestling companies they would carry? If they aren't that picky, put the minimum closes to the minimum required for the minimum of their minimum company size.

Production Values, Broadcast Quality & Music: these all link in my view. Again looking at the CornellVerse, the bigger the broadcaster, the higher their expectations. Smaller broadcaster will have lower expectations. All three don't absolutely have to be on the same level, but it makes sense they would be close. It would be a bit weird for a small broadcaster who will work with Regional companies to accept Semi Pro production values, Semi Pro broadcast quality, but demand Licensed music. It would make some sense for some broadcasters to have higher standards - MTV might demand Major Licensed music, HDNet might demand higher broadcast quality than their size, etc.

A slight issue with Broadcast Quality is the HDTV level and time period. Does HDTV still apply as a "standard" for a period before it was actually a standard? I think I'm just going to look at HDTV as the "standard for the time". Although a historical mod could scale it down and have In-House represent pre-HD SDTV, then use Broadcaster Changes to up most bigger broadcasters to HDTV at the appropriate time.

For Spike, I would probably go Production Values of Professional, Broadcast Quality of HDTV, and Music as Minor Licensed. The latter could be dropped to In-House, but it makes more sense to keep them close, even if TNA did use in-house. Spike had fairly high standards for TNA as a whole.

Must Cover Home: this one has a pretty big effect if not used properly. A bunch of users have mentioned seeing all kinds of promotions getting deals on small broadcasters all over the place. That's because of his. Use it to block foreign companies from getting broadcast deals on the smaller broadcasters, which have much lower size and popularity requirements. That block isn't all that necessary on broadcasters with a minimum company size of National, as its going to be rare for a company to get to that level if they are based elsewhere. Not impossible but hard. If the Minimum Company size is Cult or lower, consider whether the broadcaster might carry wrestling from outside their home nation/region.

So for Spike, did it ever seem like Spike has an interest in carrying puroresu or luchalibre? I don't get that impression, so I would say Yes to Must Cover Home.

This was amazing! This was exactly what I was looking for and you actually took it a step further than I was wanting and explained your decisions for each categories. This is going to help me tremendously! THANK YOU!!!!

This was amazing! This was exactly what I was looking for and you actually took it a step further than I was wanting and explained your decisions for each categories. This is going to help me tremendously! THANK YOU!!!!

You're welcome. And made sense to make it more detailed as it will help you figure out the next ones. I probably could have done the others in less time but that won't help with the other multitude of broadcasters that will be in the data. Others might have other suggestions, but basically, look at the Cverse and try to scale similarly. vary things a bit so you have some diversity among the different broadcasters.

I'm curious to see what others have for suggestions on Real World Subscription and Free to Air broadcasters.

Every local station in the U.S. would be considered Free to Air during the 70's and 80's. Because it would be the only way simulate how the U.S. system was run. The Wrestling Companies paid the stations to air their programming. WWF during the expansion would walk into TV Stations with a briefcase of money and buy the timeslot of the local company. It also one of the main factors in the reason JCP was killed off. Because of the massive debt Bill Watts owed the local stations around the country in syndication fees that Crockett bought when he took over the UWF. JCP and GCW didn't get any advertising money from TBS when they aired any of their shows. When the WWF hooked up with NBC it started changing as everybody had low production values minus World Class.

Eric Bischoff started making profit for WCW because he started having TBS to pay for WCW Saturday Night and Clash of the Champions. In Canada it was commercial during the 70's and 80's.

Plus WWF is very tricky in the 70''s and early 80's because they kind of lie about what they were airing back then, Or should say on what stations. To start they ran a handful of Madison Square Garden Shows on HBO during the early years of the station. I have even seen video of Vince McMahon and Gordon Solie annoucing together from one of these airings. Go KM Message Boards if you think I am lying.

Then you have WWF running house shows from Madison Square Garden and the Cape Cod Center on the USA Network on get this Monday Nights for around three hours in the late 70's and early 80's. Plus Philadelphia Spectrum shows on the Spectrum. That's not even counting Championship Wrestling and All-Star Wrestling on WOR and other local tv stations. Many of these broadcasts on KM Message Board and Youtube. Great Stan Hansen and Bob Backlund match is on there.

If you can't tell I have done a lot research on the 70's and 80's. If your building a mod for that era please go there and check it out. You will find a ton info on KM Message Boards.

I have a huge database that I've added to through the years. One with almost 5000 workers and I'm not really wanting to abandon it. I will say that I'm absolutely exhausted just looking at all the things that need to be changed for my database to function correctly. I'm not even for sure where to begin :(

I'm with you. I started working on my converted database weeks ago yet I'm still finding things I missed almost immediately after starting any new game.

If you're seeking advice though, fire everyone in every company and mass add everyone company by company. Then just make sure your rosters stats and popularity are accurate. For extra accuracy points, I also mass edited the roster popularity of my main rivals, and included my companies title linage.

Heh. Over 6,000 here. With 200 + promotions and 7 alliances.

Archived